✟433,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I think we can all agree that this is rock'n'roll:

If Asian synthesizer guy doesn't get in, this entire Hall of Fame thing is a total scam.
Wow those toms at the end!. Now I know how Alex Van Halen did Hot For Teacher.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The rock and roll HOF became kind of a joke...

Not that I have anything against artists like Whitney (not particularly a fan, but she had accomplishments that can't be denied).

It's become more of a "pop-culture/music-in-general" HOF than one specifically focused on Rock.

It started off being based in Rock music, and artists (perhaps from other genres) that influenced rock music, but that doesn't seem to be what it is anymore.

I stopped taking the HOF seriously when artists like Grandmaster Flash and Blondie got inducted.

(Don't get me wrong Grandmaster Flash belongs in a HOF for the genre he influenced and brought up -- one could easily argue that he and Afrika Bambaataa are the godfathers of the Hip Hop movement, but it's just not rock music)

When other non-rock genre artists got inducted before that, it's because they had a direct influence on the genre (Guys like OG blues artists like willie dixon and funk groups groups like Funkadelic that influenced groups like the red hot chilli peppers and others)

I'd liken it to if a group like Aerosmith got inducted to a rap HOF just because of the one collaboration they did with Run DMC.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The rock and roll HOF became kind of a joke...

Not that I have anything against artists like Whitney (not particularly a fan, but she had accomplishments that can't be denied).

It's become more of a "pop-culture/music-in-general" HOF than one specifically focused on Rock.

It started off being based in Rock music, and artists (perhaps from other genres) that influenced rock music, but that doesn't seem to be what it is anymore.

I stopped taking the HOF seriously when artists like Grandmaster Flash and Blondie got inducted.

(Don't get me wrong Grandmaster Flash belongs in a HOF for the genre he influenced and brought up -- one could easily argue that he and Afrika Bambaataa are the godfathers of the Hip Hop movement, but it's just not rock music)

When other non-rock genre artists got inducted before that, it's because they had a direct influence on the genre (Guys like OG blues artists like willie dixon and funk groups groups like Funkadelic that influenced groups like the red hot chilli peppers and others)

I'd liken it to if a group like Aerosmith got inducted to a rap HOF just because of the one collaboration they did with Run DMC.
So, like you say, its a modern popular music HOF. Why is that a joke?

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I heard Ted Nugent on Fox News say that he believes the only reason he is not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is because he is on the board of directors of the NRA and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation member (Jann Wenner) hates the second amendment. Basically, snubbed because of his politics.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,254.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Folks, let's remember what a Hall of Fame is. People who are famous, like Socrates, Babe Ruth and Jimi Hendrix, are already famous. It serves no purpose. A Hall of Fame is just a money-making TOURIST TRAP. This is like arguing about what rides "deserve" to be at Disney World.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I heard Ted Nugent on Fox News say that he believes the only reason he is not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is because he is on the board of directors of the NRA and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation member (Jann Wenner) hates the second amendment. Basically, snubbed because of his politics.
It’s the only reason that I can think of. Hard to tell the story of rock without him.

Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I could see his blacklist being values driven. But, regarding Ted, in no way is that limited to gun rights.

• Useful
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, a ubiquitous and awesome hard rock bass player. He wasnt in BOC that one time my band opened for them (name drop!). I'm not sure how rotating sidemen fit into the hall of fame. But there should be a some kind of spot for them. I guess Rudy could get in with Quiet Riot..... but ugh. that band.

They started a dedicated Sideman award in 2000, and in 2011 replaced it with the "Musical Excellence" award.

List of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees - Wikipedia

He's also got quite the life story, too. When he was a kid, he and his family fled Cuba for Florida. He worked his way up from refugee to living legend.

Reactions: durangodawood
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It’s the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Rock artists shouldn’t be inducted either as the Hall of Fame is for Rock and Roll... but if they are inducting non-Rock and Roll artists, then who is to say where the cutoff for inclusion is?
They could change it to the Rock Or Roll HOF. Problem solved.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
It’s the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Rock artists shouldn’t be inducted either as the Hall of Fame is for Rock and Roll... but if they are inducting non-Rock and Roll artists, then who is to say where the cutoff for inclusion is?

If there was a Rap Hall of Fame I'd be in favor of Tupac and Biggie getting in on the first go-around. However, those two might not have even had a career if not for such luminaries as Chubby Checker. By the Hall's own standards he was eligible for induction before the Hall was even built.

Likewise, if not for Kraftwerk, Depeche Mode and Nine Inch Nails wouldn't have existed as we know them. Kraftwerk did a lot to pioneer electronic music, but they likewise keep getting snubbed.

Nirvana? Several band members admitted that the moment they knew they'd made it big... was when "Weird" Al Yankovic requested permission to parody one of their songs. Al, in turn, wouldn't be where he is today if not for (in)famous radio show host Dr. Demento putting him in heavy rotation.

And so on.

There's a *very* long list of performers, sidemen, early influencers, and non-performers who have long since earned the right to be remembered, but they're getting ignored, left behind, and forgotten about.

And even when bands do get into the Hall, it's often only a handful of members. For example, Black Sabbath was inducted, but Ronnie James Dio, their second lead singer, wasn't listed in their number. Dio was, truly, seen as an incarnate deity for his vocal range and his legendary career that also included being the first lead singer for Rainbow as well as his solo time. Dio is rightfully remembered as a major influence on generations of musicians, but the Hall seems to pretend he never existed.

I'm actually thinking about composing a column noting people I'd like to see in the Hall, but I keep getting upset when I think about all the people who have been snubbed and insulted.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So, like you say, its a modern popular music HOF. Why is that a joke?

Because it started off as truly being a Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, and has turned into something that's not as advertised.

(that, and their selection process has been pretty sketchy...look how many mediocre and non-rock acts got in before Rush)

If I created a Car HOF, then 20 years down the road, inducted Tony Hawk for his skateboard work (because like a car, a skateboard moves and both typically have 4 wheels), actual car enthusiasts would be right in saying my HOF has lost credibility.

• Useful
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Because it started off as truly being a Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, and has turned into something that's not as advertised.

(that, and their selection process has been pretty sketchy...look how many mediocre and non-rock acts got in before Rush)

If I created a Car HOF, then 20 years down the road, inducted Tony Hawk for his skateboard work (because like a car, a skateboard moves and both typically have 4 wheels), actual car enthusiasts would be right in saying my HOF has lost credibility.
I think skateboards is pushing the point a bit too far.

But I do get it. I mean, if rap is in, why not country? That said, I dont think the inclusion of rap is doing any actual harm to the project. If anything, the grammy-ization of the selection criteria is much worse.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,254.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No but seriously, if you want proof the Hall is a joke just consider that they haven't inducted Gary Glitter. There is no earthly reason he shouldn't be in there. It's completely inexplicable. That rousing anthem has inspired millions of fans at major sporting events worldwide. I vote for him every year because, as a young man, he was the one who inspired me. When I saw him perform, I said to myself "I want to be just like Gary Glitter".

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I would think there would've had to have been some other reasons as well.

He's been on the NRA board since 95, but his career started in the 60's, and he wasn't nearly as controversial for his gun politics back then. You become eligible for the rock hall 25 years after the release of your first record. His first was in 1967, so he would've been eligible in 1992.

Lynyrd Skynyrd is in (inducted by Kid Rock, another pro gun guy, in 2006) and as well all know, they were some southern boys who used to carry around a symbol that's rather controversial in the eyes of the left, yes?

Metallica just got inducted, lead singer James Hetfield is pro-gun and an NRA member. Same is true for Joe Perry of Aerosmith. Key difference being, neither of those guys have ever called democrats "sub-human scum" or made comments that could be construed as threatening, to the point where they got a visit from secret service.

I think Ted needs to just chalk up the exclusion to A) crummy selection process like I referenced before, or B) it's some of his other controversial actions and statements (apart from his gun stances) that are causing some people to sour on him. (the comments, he himself, made about certain exploits with underage girls in his behind the music episode...come to mind. As well as some of his less than stellar comments about the apartheid regime in South Africa)

• Informative
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
No but seriously, if you want proof the Hall is a joke just consider that they haven't inducted Gary Glitter. There is no earthly reason he shouldn't be in there. It's completely inexplicable. That rousing anthem has inspired millions of fans at major sporting events worldwide. I vote for him every year because, as a young man, he was the one who inspired me. When I saw him perform, I said to myself "I want to be just like Gary Glitter".

Surely not just like, since he's a convicted pedophile, currently serving 16 years in prison for sexual abuse of minors.

Upvote 0