Whitney Houston and Nine Inch Nails Make the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
It was not all called rock and roll. The early Rolling Stones and Who referred to their music and rhythm and blues, and denied that they played rock and roll. People calling Bach rock and roll is why we had to invent punk rock in order to remind confused people what rock and roll is.
Punk rock isn't rock and roll either. Rock and roll was music from the 1940s and 1950s, everything else is not rock and roll.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Punk rock isn't rock and roll either. Rock and roll was music from the 1940s and 1950s, everything else is not rock and roll.
Um, that's why punk rock initially sounded like '50's rock. Because it was.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The early Rolling Stones and Who referred to their music and rhythm and blues,
Yes. So did the Beatles. That worked in Britain. But NOT here in the US.
We KNEW what Blues was, and "British blues" was not it.

Here in the US it was Rock and Roll. And the Museum is here in the US.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Bill Haley and the Comets are listed as the first R&R band with Rock Around the Clock from 1955.

The earliest R&R I have heard that is CLEARLY that was from 1950 - "Saturday Night Fish Fry" by Louis Jordan.

R&R proper (before it became just plain rock) extended into the 70s with guys like Alvin Lee, ELO** and Billy Swan. And don't forget Sha Na Na.

** I refer to ELO's cover of Roll Over Beethoven

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,933.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Ever heard Rock & Roll?? ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

I was born the same year Bill Haley and the Comets released "Rock Around the Clock." I grew up hearing Elvis, the Beatles, The Who, Blue Cheer, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath.

And I listened to top 40 radio in the late 60s and early 70s. They called all of that Rock and Roll because it was on the pop charts. They even called Virgil Fox Rock and Roll even though he was playing organ music from Bach. Yes he had psychedelic light shows with it and played to a heavy rock audience.

31b27c34-c673-51d7-be61-85cfd1c01317.jpg

the point is it was ALL called Rock and Roll back in the day. And the Hall of Fame was just carrying on that tradition.

"Roll over Beethoven"

:)

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The earliest R&R I have heard that is CLEARLY that was from 1950 - "Saturday Night Fish Fry" by Louis Jordan.
No sir. Goree Carter. 1949. Houston, Texas. I'll arm wrestle you over that.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No sir. Goree Carter. 1949. Houston, Texas. I'll arm wrestle you over that.
NICE!!!!

I had not heard of him or that song before. Definitely R&R.

Here is what Lewis Jordan put out the next year:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
I guess that’s logical. Because when I hear the words “rock and roll”, obviously the first thing I think of is Whitney Houston.

Top five bands in the fan vote: Soundgarden, The Doobie Brothers, Pat Benatar, Depeche Mode, Judas Priest

The bands getting inducted: The Doobie Brothers, Depeche Mode, Whitney Houston, Notorious B.I.G. (first year of eligibility), Nine Inch Nails (ditto), T-Rex

This is the second time Judas Priest has made the top 5 in the fan vote, only to be snubbed by the Hall proper.

Meanwhile, Notorious B.I.G. and T-Rex were near the bottom of the fan rankings, but here they are. And yes, I voted for T-Rex and even I admit they didn't have the fan numbers this year.

Furthermore, as far as Tupac and Biggie are concerned... they wouldn't even have had careers if not for Chubby Checker, who still is not in the Hall.

Likewise, there would be no Nine Inch Nails or Depeche Mode if not for Kraftwerk, who were nominated once again this year but still got skunked.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
The Smiths
Kate Bush

Theres a couple no brainers imo.

I could go for over an hour listing bands that need to be in there due to actual, provable influence on the music scene.

This includes artists who would be in the Hall two or three times apiece given how many bands they've been in or what they've done outside of performing.

And let's face it: Rudy Sarzo straight up needs a lifetime award for his work as a bassist.

Reactions: Hammster
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I could go for over an hour listing bands that need to be in there due to actual, provable influence on the music scene.

This includes artists who would be in the Hall two or three times apiece given how many bands they've been in or what they've done outside of performing.

And let's face it: Rudy Sarzo straight up needs a lifetime award for his work as a bassist.
Yeah, a ubiquitous and awesome hard rock bass player. He wasnt in BOC that one time my band opened for them (name drop!). I'm not sure how rotating sidemen fit into the hall of fame. But there should be a some kind of spot for them. I guess Rudy could get in with Quiet Riot..... but ugh. that band.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think we can all agree that this is rock'n'roll:

If Asian synthesizer guy doesn't get in, this entire Hall of Fame thing is a total scam.
That was pretty flipping impressive.

• Agree
Reactions: dzheremi
Upvote 0