Which world is better: the world with no God or the world where the gospel is true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am not claiming god does not exist. I lack a belief a god exists.

So you are making no knowledge claims? Fine, your "lack of belief is an attempt at equivocation initially tried by a guy named "Wisdom," (I recall) back in the 1960s, and was adopted by Antony Flew in his article entitled, "The presumption of atheism," circa 1973. It is still out on the internet..., ah,...nevermind.

Philosophers abandoned it because theists would quickly asked them to defend knowledge claims and they would be right back where they started having to defend atheism. So the dodge from defending their knowledge claims didn't work very well. Antony Flew finally abandoned the presupposition and atheism.

Please name one cosmologist who KNOWS how the Universe began. It should be very easy for you to do.
Big Bang - Wikipedia

In fact the only atheist cosmologist to reject the standard model (Inflationary hot big bang) is Fred Hoyle who favored something called the "Steady State" model. So while there are theists, agnostics, and atheists cosmologists whom all agree with the standard model above. Only one atheists I know of rejects that model. He held onto steady state from circa post-WWII until early 2000s when he passed.

Why would atheists cry out to Zeus when in distress? Thor?

Many people cry out to their mother too. Perhaps this is proof Virgin Mary is looking out for us all?
That is the amazing point that the "No Atheists in Fox Holes," argument makes:

They all cry out to a Judeo-Christian God, not the god(s) or their own culture.

Again your comments shows no effort to research just off the cuff stream of consciousness responses.

Well, there must be some confusion. How did you decide that God is the moral one? If not the Bible, what book are you using?

The confusion is because you are not looking up any of the terms being discussed. Why would anyone want to have a discussion with someone who kept creating and attacking strawmen and tossing out red-herrings?

Since you won't look up moral arguments for God's existence here is a link that took me less than 10 seconds to find. I don't know if it is good, I just took the first one that came up.

Moral Arguments for the Existence of God (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

Perhaps we can just say that morality comes from XYZ and leave it at that?

Explain XYZ

Symbols are abstract objects and therefore have no causal power.

The whole point of this class of argument is to highlight strange features of our external world!

Given physicalism (atheism) there is nothing but particles, and energy, physical laws, and shear determinism. There are no objective values(regardless of subjects (people/cultures)), possible on atheism.

So we have this ridiculous feature of the world which is the sense that it is say...wrong, and always wrong to torture babies for fun. But why, given atheism, is that perception in our mind? It is an utter delusion on atheism because there is no universal transcendent source for moral truth on atheism.

So we don't take the things we can't explain about our world given our view and discard the data that doesn't support our view. That is called the consequential fallacy. Christians do that when they appeal to mystery on the issues of evil and suffering(which are obvious features of our world), and atheists do it when they appeal to steady state cosmology, or bouncing universes, lack of fine-tunedness, or XYZ caused the truth-value of universal moral statements.

Read the research I did for you and once you are educated about the argument(s) ask me questions regarding comprehension, then we can engage those arguments if you care to.

If you have interest your questions will demonstrate research.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Nowhere in this argument do you find god. Not in the premise and not in the conclusion. A transcendent cause does not equal god. That needs to be demonstrated.
That's the point!

Look where the conversation started. Cvanwey has proposed a hypothetical world where there is no beginning of the universe.

Having destroyed the second premise of the Kalam he then says well what evidence do we have for God. My reply was we have eliminated 1 out of 24 or so. And that 1 only as a result of creating a hypothetical world and leaving the real one.

Now the argument, which has not been discussed as we are talking epistemically, not specifically about the various arguments, goes on to look at the items in our world that are timeless, spaceless, matterless, transcend our universe in other words, and have the power to create such a universe.

Only two things that philosophers know of transcend the universe,
abstract objects, and God (Judeo-Christian concept of God).

Abstract objects are causally effete.

Therefore God.

You can examine the Kalam if you like. I have included a short video.

My focus with cvanwey is related to his approach to knowledge. So that is why I'm speaking in shorthand because I don't need to build out the argument. The kalam fails given that in cvanweys hypothetical world I am granting that the universe doesn't need an explanation due to the fact that it didn't begin to exist.

Further one could create a hypothetical world to destroy 50-75 premises found in the 24 or so arguments we have for God's existence. But that is a lot of work to do when even a baby theist could point out that you are leaving the real world to create a fake one where God doesn't exist. More than a little circular, don't you think?

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So you are making no knowledge claims? Fine, your "lack of belief is an attempt at equivocation initially tried by a guy named "Wisdom," (I recall) back in the 1960s, and was adopted by Antony Flew in his article entitled, "The presumption of atheism," circa 1973. It is still out on the internet..., ah,...nevermind.

Philosophers abandoned it because theists would quickly asked them to defend knowledge claims and they would be right back where they started having to defend atheism. So the dodge from defending their knowledge claims didn't work very well. Antony Flew finally abandoned the presupposition and atheism.
No. It is not a dodge to defend a knowledge claim. It is an honest position. I cannot know if god does not exist and there is insufficient evidence to believe god exists. Where is my knowledge claim?

Now are you going to respond to any of my responses to you last Friday or are you going to dodge them?

Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
But isn't the theist going to see past your ruse in 5-seconds?

Getting back to Sean Caroll, for instance, please enjoy a 6 minute video. Yes, it is heavily slanted towards the 'atheist crowd.' So please over look this part :) However, please look at how he directly addresses WLC's 'position', which in part, includes the Kalam.

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That's the point!

Look where the conversation started. Cvanwey has proposed a hypothetical world where there is no beginning of the universe.
And that contradicts credible evidence for a beginning.

Now the argument, which has not been discussed as we are talking epistemically, not specifically about the various arguments, goes on to look at the items in our world that are timeless, spaceless, matterless, transcend our universe in other words, and have the power to create such a universe.

Only two things that philosophers know of transcend the universe,
abstract objects, and God (Judeo-Christian concept of God).
To posit god as a possible transcendent thing it must be demonstrated to exist. Until you do then your argument is circular. Something must exist to be a solution to a problem.

Abstract objects are causally effete.
Agreed.

Therefore God.
No, this is also a fallacy. Just because you cannot think of another transcendent cause does not mean that there is not one. How do you only think there are two things that can be a transcendent cause?

You can examine the Kalam if you like. I have included a short video.

My focus with cvanwey is related to his approach to knowledge. So that is why I'm speaking in shorthand because I don't need to build out the argument. The kalam fails given that in cvanweys hypothetical world I am granting that the universe doesn't need an explanation due to the fact that it didn't begin to exist.

Further one could create a hypothetical world to destroy 50-75 premises found in the 24 or so arguments we have for God's existence. But that is a lot of work to do when even a baby theist could point out that you are leaving the real world to create a fake one where God doesn't exist. More than a little circular, don't you think?
I disagree with Cvanwey's reasoning. The evidence is overwhelming that the universe had a beginning. I don't know is a reasonable answer based on the fact that all 24 evidences you have are flawed. If not then you have demonstrated god and should get a Nobel prize or something.

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It sure doesn't look like it. You are attempting to apply facts of the parts (in this case, molecules) to the whole (in this case, humans). That's a blatant fallacy of composition.

I don't think you're using the concept of emergence in a fully valid fashion, since it doesn't really imply that the whole is "more" than the constituent parts in an ontological sense--just that they interact in complex ways that cannot easily be reduced to the nature of the components themselves.

I have a friend who is a biochemist and a materialist, and he defines humans as being complex colonies of archaebacteria that respond to stimuli in complex fashion. It's an outlook I find deeply dehumanizing, but I don't see how you can get further than that on the notion of emergence alone.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

MrsFoundit

Dec 5, 2019
South
✟40,776.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No. It is not a dodge to defend a knowledge claim. It is an honest position. I cannot know if god does not exist and there is insufficient evidence to believe god exists. Where is my knowledge claim?

Well obviously, since it is a dodge to avoid making a knowledge claim, you make the dodge, not a claim.

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Well obviously, since it is a dodge to avoid making a knowledge claim, you make the dodge, not a claim.
It is not a dodge to avoid a knowledge claim. I don't have sufficient evidence to make a knowledge claim. That is being honest.

Upvote 0

Eight Foot Manchild

His Supreme Holy Correctfulness
Sep 9, 2010
Somerville, MA, USA
✟147,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I don't think you're using the concept of emergence in a fully valid fashion, since it doesn't really imply that the whole is "more" than the constituent parts in an ontological sense--just that they interact in complex ways that cannot easily be reduced to the nature of the components themselves.

I don't think I would argue 'more'. Just 'different'.

I have a friend who is a biochemist and a materialist, and he defines humans as being complex colonies of archaebacteria that respond to stimuli in complex fashion. It's an outlook I find deeply dehumanizing, but I don't see how you can get further than that on the notion of emergence alone.

I don't find that dehumanizing at all. Just not very poetic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BigV

Dec 27, 2007
USA, IL
✟41,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In fact the only atheist cosmologist to reject the standard model (Inflationary hot big bang) is Fred Hoyle who favored something called the "Steady State" model. So while there are theists, agnostics, and atheists cosmologists whom all agree with the standard model above.

Think about what you are saying there. There is a model with which theists, agnostics and atheist cosmologists agree with, in accordance with your own words!

So, how can this be a proof of your God?

They all cry out to a Judeo-Christian God, not the god(s) or their own culture.

There are atheists in the foxholes.
Foxhole atheist - RationalWiki

Either that, or every inappropriate content star is a Christian for calling on God (allegedly).

The confusion is because you are not looking up any of the terms being discussed. Why would anyone want to have a discussion with someone who kept creating and attacking strawmen and tossing out red-herrings?

This is a Christian forum. So lets cut to the chase. Christians believe their morality is based on their God. But if moral goodness comes from God, who is responsible for the atrocities of the Bible?

Perhaps there is a God who detests all religions, including Christianity. Is this the God you are arguing for? If so, how did you decide that morality must come FROM that God and not inspite of that God?

Symbols are abstract objects and therefore have no causal power.

God is also abstract, with all due respect. He is an idea that lives in human minds. And, not surprisingly, people throughout our history had their own ideas of God.

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think I would argue 'more'. Just 'different'.

Different in what way?

I don't find that dehumanizing at all. Just not very poetic.

The problem with entirely materialistic definitions of "humanity" is that you also end up with entirely materialistic notions of what "human wellbeing" entails, and it's hard not to end up with a Bentham-style utilitarian account of how to maximize happiness. (Granted, given some of your earlier comments about morality, I suppose you might adhere to such a scheme. It's not entirely clear.)

Of course, things can get much darker than that when you adopt an understanding of "humanity" that focuses on the self as a material conglomerate rather than as an autonomous individual. If we view ourselves primarily as colonies of bacteria, then the super-colony of the larger society can be considered as much a person as the "individual" colony.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Doesn't hell's existence last eternal?

My apologies, CV, for taking so long to respond.

This is where we play fast and loose with the word "eternal." There is only one eternal, God. All that is not God (entities, places) are created by God and created good. No entity or place is eternal. Everlasting, maybe, but not eternal. Sin and evil function like parasites on the good. I can speak of what is good without reference to evil, but I cannot speak of evil without reference to the good, because the nature of evil is to be destructive of what is good. At any rate, back to so called "eternal places"...The endurance of entities (or places) is not a given. The idea that there would be a place of eternal destruction is...nonsensical? I would argue the images used in the scriptures are often metaphorical to communicate the incommunicable (pace Paul's statement that the human mind cannot comprehend what is in store...).

I realize there is a good bit in the scriptures about a new heaven and a new earth. Places in time? Maybe? I really don't know. What kind of place in time do resurrected spiritual bodies need? I don't know, haha. :) At any rate, consider the fact that the scriptures begin and end (Genesis and Revelation) with images of a garden. These gardens function as "bookends" to the scriptures. They "hold them together" as representations of flourishing life in the divine presence, or in other words, as representations of the divine intention. Should we take these images as literal representations of what will be? I don't think so.

All humans inherit a 'sinful nature'. It is those whom choose Christ, that have any chance of redemption, according to Scripture. Which means, without belief, you stand no chance moving forward.

You would have to ask Augustine about how this "inheriting" of the sinful nature works. I'm fairly confident that Irenaeus and the EO church would disagree with his assessment. I have always liked Paul Tillich's statement that humans have a sin "destiny." Without committing myself to Tillich's theology, I think if we are in this world for any significant amount of time we will participate in ways of being that work against life (i.e. sin). As I have argued earlier, we are held to account for our own lives and what we have done.

I tried to express my thoughts on this earlier, but will try again. The condemnation of humanity is expressed by the limits of death and finitude (the wages of sin is death). Christians are not Platonists. We don't hold that humans have eternal souls (see above my comments on "eternal"). Life is not a given, much less everlasting life. The work of Christ overcomes sin and evil, and thereby, he overcomes the limits of death and finitude. All are redeemed in the sense of being raised, on account of Christ, to everlasting life, then the judgment. The question then becomes are all who are raised prepared for everlasting life? The judgment lays bare the truth, i.e. have we lived in a way that is commensurate with life? Were we loving, generous, gracious, merciful, etc. Or, were we selfish, hateful, destructive, violent, etc. No one is perfect and God knows this. But, what trajectory did we abide by? People who are generally good still do things that are bad. Generally bad people still do things that are good. All will have "sinned and fallen short." But, God knows our capabilities and our needs.

Paul says in Romans 2 that to those who only had the law as it is given to the human conscience ("gentiles"), "They show that what the law requires is written on their hearts, to which their own conscience also bears witness; and their conflicting thoughts will accuse or perhaps excuse them on the day when, according to my gospel, God, through Jesus Christ, will judge the secret thoughts of all." Notice how Paul refrains from making a final judgment. Unlike the fundamentalist (and the atheist who co-opts the fundie certainty as their primary foil) who is so sure of who is in and who is out, Paul refrains because he knows better. He knows that judgment belongs to the Lord, and that he, Paul, does not know the outcome beforehand.

So, what advantage does the Christian have on account of faith. 1) they trust in the one who has overcome sin/evil and the limits of finitude and death for all. 2) they are on the appropriate trajectory by embracing the way of life that leads to life. 3) they receive grace, not to do any old thing they want, but to continue to grow into the "full stature of Jesus Christ." What about everybody else?

Again, CV, big question. If someone who has no knowledge of Christ lives, generally speaking, loving their neighbor as themselves and loving God, as they understand God, are they not fulfilling the two-fold command, even if ever so imperfectly? How can they do any better than that, given what they understand to be true? Do we really think that God will not take that into account? Are they not on the trajectory that leads to life? I'm not making a judgment here, but I am simply saying that to assume God will not take all of that into account is absurd (unless arguing such helps promote one's atheism).

On the other hand, take a confessing Christian who is miserly, hateful, selfish, incorrigible, and yet believes it is true that Jesus died and rose again, will that one just waltz into the presence of divine love as if the way they have lived was unimportant? Have they truly had faith in the sense of embracing the way that leads to life? Won't they be held to a stricter account given what they believed to be true? Again, this caricature that God will condemn without proper judgment is ludicrous. And, I don't think a responsible interpretation of the scriptures should result in such a caricature. Yes, no one has life, nor will they have life without Christ. All things came into being through him, and all things are being reconciled to God through him. He is the Way. But God's judgments are not settled simply on account of what propositions to which one gives their intellectual assent.

"Believers" have been given a guarantee that if they believe in their hearts that Christ was raised from the dead and confess as much, they will be saved (i.e. everlasting life in the presence is theirs). But, that believing is not mere intellectual assent, but a way of life trusting that the dead are raised and Christ is Lord (i.e. one is living according to his ways). If Christ is my Lord, then I am living under his reign, i.e. living according to his way of life. But, and this is the point I am getting at, that statement of guarantee to those of faith is not a statement of exclusion to everyone else, in spite of what the fundie and evangelical want to say. They take a statement of guarantee and turn it into a statement of exclusion, when one does not necessarily entail the other.

The limits of the mercies of God, if there be any, are not known by us. It is certainly foolish to treat a Holy God in a trite manner, but the one who is to be our judge is the one who gave his life so that we would receive mercy and life. Whatever God's final judgements may be, we will just have to wait and see. Or, we simply cease to exist and living a life of love is of no more transcendent value than any other way of living because life is mere existence and the end result is the same. But, this is why I say we all make an act of faith and we all take a risk.

So, Amen. You may now pass the offering plate. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

MrsFoundit

Dec 5, 2019
South
✟40,776.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The evidence is demonstrated through using the principle. We know that explanations supported by evidence are more found to be true that explanations not supported by evidence. If you disagree with this then good luck finding truth.

I totally disagree with it and I need no luck establishing truth, but thanks anyway.

Upvote 0

MrsFoundit

Dec 5, 2019
South
✟40,776.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The idea that there would be a place of eternal destruction is...nonsensical?

Especially if "hell" is a position in relation to God (separated from) and not a like a geographical place.

Should we take these images as literal representations of what will be? I don't think so.

CF definition of Christian, and many denominations, agree with you. If we allow for relatively new Christians and variations in comprehension, this is also reasonable. to

So, what advantage does the Christian have on account of faith. 1) they trust in the one who has overcome sin/evil and the limits of finitude and death for all. 2) they are on the appropriate trajectory by embracing the way of life that leads to life. 3) they receive grace, not to do any old thing they want, but to continue to grow into the "full stature of Jesus Christ."

Yes

Again, CV, big question. If someone who has no knowledge of Christ lives, generally speaking, loving their neighbor as themselves and loving God, as they understand God, are they not fulfilling the two-fold command, even if ever so imperfectly? How can they do any better than that, given what they understand to be true?

Probably, since there is this, Romans 2 14-16 "(Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.) This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares."

On the other hand, take a confessing Christian who is miserly, hateful, selfish, incorrigible, and yet believes it is true that Jesus died and rose again, will that one just waltz into the presence of divine love as if the way they have lived was unimportant? Have they truly had faith in the sense of embracing the way that leads to life? Won't they be held to a stricter account given what they believed to be true?

Yes, I believe so. Matthew 7:21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord, will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Getting back to Sean Caroll, for instance, please enjoy a 6 minute video. Yes, it is heavily slanted towards the 'atheist crowd.' So please over look this part :) However, please look at how he directly addresses WLC's 'position', which in part, includes the Kalam.

Snob Appeal as opposed to the logical fallacies that were identified in the video I posted.

You reply with another video including an additional informal fallacy.

Rich.

Like ad hominem arguments, snob appeals and fallacious appeals to authority, make the error of trying to get us to look at the one making the argument instead of examining the argument itself.

The video makes a strawman out of WLC's kalam which you would have recognized if you actually looked at either the original debate with Caroll, or looked at the video I attached of the argument. I don't think WLC highlights this particular fallacy in the 10 worst

Caroll, inserts a false premise that Craig doesn't make? Can you identify Caroll's strawman? If so I will tolerate your lack of effort one more post, else I will put you back on the "Ignore, for lack of any effort to think or research," shelf for one more year. These are elementary thinking mistakes and can be easily avoided if one is actually trying to figure out what is true in the real world.

Honest people differ and that is fine, but continuing to make the same fallacious appeals, common to the worst arguments found on the internet is a waste of time.

You are not alone, as I still here Christians arguing the way Ray Comfort or Ken Ham do. They are on my "Ignore..." shelf as well.

Please try this time.

Make some effort please.

Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Think about what you are saying there. There is a model with which theists, agnostics and atheist cosmologists agree with, in accordance with your own words!

So, how can this be a proof of your God?

Back in high school, about a half-million years ago, I was told that the best arguments rely on premises that all parties agree on!

If you watch the Kalam video I posted above you would have seen that

Everything that begins to exist has a cause
is a foundational principle in scientific investigation. Strip that premise away and we have:
Einstein's theory of relativity states that the mass of an object causes the space around it to essentially bend and curve.

Or

NOTHING causes the space around it to essentially bend and curve.

We can take causal relations demonstrated by creation of spacetime, matter, and energy to be caused by nothing.

Since we have an infinite amount nothing...

You get the reductio

all causal scientific induction from things beginning to exist is destroyed.

Again the premises in the Kalam being supported by scientific evidence that everyone agrees exist in the real world is a good thing.

It is the best feature of inductive reasoning.

Observation - I can't, nor can "Real" scientists (LOL) name anything that begins to exist without a cause.

The argument is that God's existence, being transcendent qua the universe, has explanatory power for that universe. But did you even watch the video?

his is a Christian forum. So lets cut to the chase. Christians believe their morality is based on their God. But if moral goodness comes from God, who is responsible for the atrocities of the Bible?
Let's stop dodging the moral arguments for God's existence.

Did you read the research I attached above?

God is also abstract, with all due respect. He is an idea that lives in human minds. And, not surprisingly, people throughout our history had their own ideas of God.

So what does it mean to say something is an abstract object?

When you went online and typed that question in what was the response?

Abstract Objects (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

It seems that you are taking words out of there technical meaning in philosophy and theology and just using them as if they are just street jive.

There are requisite knowledge and study here.

We are in the field of philosophy
subfield of epistemology (what can be known about our world)
subfield of natural philosophy (what can be known about God via facts and experience sans divine revelation)

Jumping in a parsing technical terms (which exist for every field of knowledge) and using reforming them into things that are in no way representative of the concept unwittingly produces straw men.

Abstract objects given the context, are not at all like God. Abstract objects are causally effete (powerless). Abstract objects can't cause anything. This is definitional, or a necessary condition of abstract objects.

So while God is immaterial, that is true, and therefore not concrete in everyday vernacular, God is a causal agent on Christian theism due to him being a mind. All minds are causal agents, no abstract objects demonstrate causal agency, therefore God is not an abstract object.

***the clue was "Object" after the word "abstract" which is shorthand for...well read the first article that came up when I did a 10-second internet search (attached above).

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I totally disagree with it and I need no luck establishing truth, but thanks anyway.

Why do you disagree?

I don't need to know how my computer works or where it came from to demonstrate that it does work. Same with reason and logic.

Do you really think that explanations supported by nothing are as valid as explanations supported by evidence?

Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Especially if "hell" is a position in relation to God (separated from) and not a like a geographical place.

CF definition of Christian, and many denominations, agree with you. If we allow for relatively new Christians and variations in to comprehension, this is also reasonable.

Yes

Probably, since there is this, Romans 2 14-16 "(Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.) This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares."

Yes, I believe so. Matthew 7:21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord, will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven."
This is good example of what I call "inside baseball." That is, the internal discussions inside the Christian faith where we struggle with divine revelation to determine just what individual passages would have communicated to their original audiences, then how a whole collection of such passages can be arranged topically. There is much debate.

A world without God, I suppose, might have as broad a range of views as well. Objective moral values and duties as Platonic forms, as opposed to all morals are subjective and their are no positive duties. A life that is utterly without objective meaning - The French Existentialists, to (insert alternative here as I am not familiar with how meaning would come from outside oneself but there may be some inference). We have evolved to become sentient beings endowed with rationality and free will to a bottom-up causal understanding of the world that has no room for free will and is completely deterministic.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The argument is that God's existence, being transcendent qua the universe, has explanatory power for that universe. But did you even watch the video?
Explanations do not demonstrate truth. There are many different explanations for the beginning of the universe, which one is true? The universe had a cause, how do you get to your god from there? You need to demonstrate it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.