Which Modern SF Writers Do You Recommend?

pegatha

Apr 26, 2004
✟1,433.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Which of the modern (still living) writers do you like? I've enjoyed a lot of Joan D. Vinge's work and the Dragonrider books by Anne McCaffrey. I'd also like to read some of CJ Cherryh's work soon. I don't know much about her, but she attends the con I go to every year, and it's quite a thrill to be in the same room as a two-time Hugo winner.

lijeb

Galactic Gumshoe
Nov 14, 2004
✟336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So many good writers, so little time!

David Weber
Lois McMaster Bujold
Roger McBride Allen
Timothy Zahn
Catherine Asaro
David Brin
Orson Scott Card
Maxine McArthur
Charles Sheffeild
CJ Cherryh
Kim Stanley Robinson
James Gardner

Just a handful of authors I search the cases regularly for.

Upvote 0

lijeb

Galactic Gumshoe
Nov 14, 2004
✟336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
pegatha said:
Which of the modern (still living) writers do you like? I've enjoyed a lot of Joan D. Vinge's work and the Dragonrider books by Anne McCaffrey. I'd also like to read some of CJ Cherryh's work soon. I don't know much about her, but she attends the con I go to every year, and it's quite a thrill to be in the same room as a two-time Hugo winner.
If you like those Author's I would especially recommend you try the following:

Catharine Asaro
Lois McMaster Bujold
S.L. Viehl
Sharon Lee and Steven Miller
Lisanne Norman
Elizabeth Moon

(btw - CJ Cherryh is a fantastic writer!)

Upvote 0

dpshannon

Nov 14, 2004
Sunnyvale
✟7,683.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't know if they're modern...But, Orson Scott Card is my favorite, since he wrote Ender's Game, the best Sci-Fi book of all time.

Second would be Douglas Adams...Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy..Very entertaining book

Actually...I take it back...Best Sci-Fi writer of all time has to be Piers Anthony if he counts...His novels "The Immortality" series...I don't know if they are fantasy or Science Fiction, but they were the best I've ever read.

Soon to be favorite fantasy or sci fi writer of all time, once I read it....Is my brother, Dave Shannon's book, which is I forget what it's called..."Timothy's Finger" or something like that.

Don

Don

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

merryheart

bookworm nerdgirl
Mar 1, 2004
Oregon, USA
✟13,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In addition to the many fine authors already mentioned here (some of which are my favorites) I'd add Julie Czerneda and Sarah Zettel. Both are fairly new having written first novels in the last few years, and are already promising to be prolific

Upvote 0

FatherGoose

Nov 21, 2004
Joliet, Illinois, U.S.A.
✟7,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey everyone! :)

My favorites are probably Mercedes Lackey, Andre Norton, Elizabeth Moon, Anne McCaffrey and Robert Asprin. I am reading some H.G. Wells at the moment (When The Sleeper Awakes), since I have been trying to read more of the classics that I could never stomach as a youth.

Hey! I am happy to find others of faith who like science fiction!

Upvote 0

Focusedpoetgirl

Jun 24, 2003
Southern CA
Visit site
✟718.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I really enjoy reading Orson Scott Card's work (Ender's Game is an awesome, awesome book!) and I always have many of Anne McCaffrey's books - I haven't read them all, but what I have read I enjoy. Other great writers: Kathy Tyers, Timothy Zahn, Stephen R. Lawhead (probably my all time favorite) and . . . hmm, that's all I can think of at the moment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Celtic Camel

Nov 28, 2004
wandering a journey in eternity
Visit site
✟16,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't know if they necessarily fit strictly the sci-fi category, but I'd have to recommend Stephew Lawhead (yes, he does do sci-fi, as well as fantasy and historical fiction)... Roger Elwood... Douglass Adams (of course) ;)...and I'm sure there's more, but they are behind other books on my shelves (and I can't see their names)
The bonus of Stephen Lawhead & Roger Elwood is that they are Christian authors too.
Love & prayes,
Lisa

Upvote 0

jackyl565

Dec 5, 2004
Arkansas
✟7,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not so much SF as fantasy but I'd definitely whole-heartedly recommend the Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind. 7 books (including 1 book which is pre-series) and one fixing to come out, all around 700-900 pages. I read them all my senior year in high school if that tells you how hard to put down they are.

Upvote 0