Which Modern SF Writers Do You Recommend?

He is Yahweh

Dec 14, 2004
Pateley Bridge
✟17,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Seeing as we've drifted towards fantasy (*hears assorted groaning in the forum*)

I'd like to thank jackie for the recommendation of terry goodkind, I've been reading quite a bit over the last couple of years and am wondering where to go next.

A name I would like to stick into the pot is George Martin, he's so far published 3 (4 if your country has a publisher where they split the third one into two) of his 'song of ice and fire series'. The fourth (fifth) book was I think originally going to come out last january, however martin is still writing away, and I'm still bubbling with eager anticipation to see his new creation.

His series is brilliant, its not one of those fantasy books that goes totally way out there, part of the fun is you can actually imagine the sorts of things going on in say medieval england. Yes, there are bits that clearly wouldnt happen, but it does make you wonder!

Upvote 0

Telrunya

Student of the Word
Jun 24, 2004
Bainbridge Island Washington St.
✟2,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
He is Yahweh said:
Seeing as we've drifted towards fantasy (*hears assorted groaning in the forum*)

I'd like to thank jackie for the recommendation of terry goodkind, I've been reading quite a bit over the last couple of years and am wondering where to go next.

A name I would like to stick into the pot is George Martin, he's so far published 3 (4 if your country has a publisher where they split the third one into two) of his 'song of ice and fire series'. The fourth (fifth) book was I think originally going to come out last january, however martin is still writing away, and I'm still bubbling with eager anticipation to see his new creation.

His series is brilliant, its not one of those fantasy books that goes totally way out there, part of the fun is you can actually imagine the sorts of things going on in say medieval england. Yes, there are bits that clearly wouldnt happen, but it does make you wonder!
Yeah but he kept on killing the good guys until this last book. All I can say is GO Rickon!!!

Upvote 0

He is Yahweh

Dec 14, 2004
Pateley Bridge
✟17,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Telrunya said:
Yeah but he kept on killing the good guys until this last book. All I can say is GO Rickon!!!
Martin does have about the highest main character turnover rate I've seen! Although some of them do keep re-appearing quite unexpectedly - you have to watch out for that, can't write anyone off too soon!

However, who were you actually bothered about him bumping off? The character that it leaps to mind that I really wanted to stay was Ned Stark.

Upvote 0

Telrunya

Student of the Word
Jun 24, 2004
✟2,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
He is Yahweh said:
Martin does have about the highest main character turnover rate I've seen! Although some of them do keep re-appearing quite unexpectedly - you have to watch out for that, can't write anyone off too soon!

However, who were you actually bothered about him bumping off? The character that it leaps to mind that I really wanted to stay was Ned Stark.
I actually understood him knocking off Ned. That was an excellent impudus to begin the war. Rob Stark is the one I had a major problem with him killing off. I really didn't care for the entire tack he took with Theon and Caitlin either. I could understand (though not really agree) with him killing Caitlin but the other part about her and the red priest didn't sit well with me. Theon Greyjoy was just a major disappointment. I would have thought he had just a hair more character or self respect than he displayed.

Upvote 0

He is Yahweh

Dec 14, 2004
Pateley Bridge
✟17,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Telrunya said:
I actually understood him knocking off Ned. That was an excellent impudus to begin the war. Rob Stark is the one I had a major problem with him killing off. I really didn't care for the entire tack he took with Theon and Caitlin either. I could understand (though not really agree) with him killing Caitlin but the other part about her and the red priest didn't sit well with me. Theon Greyjoy was just a major disappointment. I would have thought he had just a hair more character or self respect than he displayed.
I understood him knocking off Ned too, it just irritated me! Seeing as he seemed to be the only decent guy around at the time!

By other part, I assume you mean when she suddenly re-appeared, unable to speak?

Upvote 0

Telrunya

Student of the Word
Jun 24, 2004
✟2,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
He is Yahweh said:
I understood him knocking off Ned too, it just irritated me! Seeing as he seemed to be the only decent guy around at the time!

By other part, I assume you mean when she suddenly re-appeared, unable to speak?
Ok I got you. Yes that irritated me as well and yes having them "reanimate" her really bothers me. I do like what he's doing with Brandon and John Snow. I like the Rickon character and see a whole lot of room for development there. I'm EXTREMELY disappointed with Sansa and Arry. I'm not entirely sure I want to see Dainy succeed or not yet.

Upvote 0

He is Yahweh

Dec 14, 2004
Pateley Bridge
✟17,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I really like Jon Snow, I think if he'd been bumped off at some point I might even have stopped reading! I think he's in for a hard time as head of the night watch, but we'll see.

Sansa and Arya :wave: (Arry is her assumed male name), are very disappointing I have to say, you never know, they may eventually do something useful, sansa is prisoner of Paetyr Baelish at the moment isn't she?

Have just checked martin's website, he still hasnt finished :(

He has a sample chapter on there, I think it used to be a cersei chapter, and was really really good, I enjoyed reading it, Kevan Lannister who has just sort of lurked for the last however long decided to put his foot down, and cersei got a bit annoyed!

These days though, I think its a Daenerys chapter, and not, I don't think particularly wonderful, its just one of those ruler's daily ruling of a city chapters. As for her quest to Westeros, I'll be interested to see her unsullied warriors fight, seeing as they are meant to be very solid, and how her dragons get on (as they are still quite small at the moment).

Upvote 0

He is Yahweh

Dec 14, 2004
Pateley Bridge
✟17,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
indeep said:
George R R Martin's only worthwhile book is Fevre Dream - THE single greatest vampire book I've read to date... set on a steamer in 19th century america... it's great! :)
Have you read the song of ice and fire books?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MetalBlade

Defender of the Faith
Feb 23, 2003
Bowling Green, Ohio
Visit site
✟2,632.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
For some reason, I can't get into modern SF. I've tried a couple and it did nothing. Unlike old SF which is really good, ie. Verne, Wells, etc.

Now fantasy on the other hand, I can always get into those.

Upvote 0

He is Yahweh

Dec 14, 2004
Pateley Bridge
✟17,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
MetalBlade said:
For fantasy? Lets see: Tolkien of course, Robert Jordan, Terry Goodkind, Orson Scott Card, Terry Brooks, etc. etc. :)
I haven't yet read any robert jordan, although I have the first 4 books sat patiently waiting on my shelf.

Some people tell me that its starts brilliant, and gets worse, so by the time you get to book 8 or 9 or whatever its not worth reading, what do you think?

Upvote 0

stonetoflesh

reformed librarie-keeper
Apr 20, 2004
Round Rock, TX
✟11,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MetalBlade said:
For some reason, I can't get into modern SF. I've tried a couple and it did nothing. Unlike old SF which is really good, ie. Verne, Wells, etc.
I used to feel the same way, until I realized that I was reading the wrong authors. I tend to prefer fantasy as well, but there are plenty of lousy fantasy writers whose work I can't get into, same as SF or any other genre for that matter...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

He is Yahweh

Dec 14, 2004
Pateley Bridge
✟17,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
spacedout said:
I used to feel the same way, until I realized that I was reading the wrong authors. I tend to prefer fantasy as well, but there are plenty of lousy fantasy writers whose work I can't get into, same as SF or any other genre for that matter...
Ever tried Janny Wurts ? (Fantasy) A couple of people I know can't get into him/her !?, I think its her, anyway, I tried it over the summer, I think it was quite good, although I didn't pay too much attention because I was also engrossed in Robin Hobb which I thought was amazing!

Upvote 0

Nemo0213

Dec 17, 2004
✟7,653.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I was going to throw George Martin in there and saw somebody else already did. The song of fire and ice is soo hard for me to put down. I went to work with about two hours worth of sleep almost every night for about two weeks.
Robert Jordans wheel of time is also a very good series. I saw someone made a comment earlier about how they drop off toward the last couple of books. It has been about three or four years since I have read the entire series but fromwhat I can remember they kept my attention until the very end.

Upvote 0

He is Yahweh

Dec 14, 2004
Pateley Bridge
✟17,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nemo0213 said:
I was going to throw George Martin in there and saw somebody else already did. The song of fire and ice is soo hard for me to put down. I went to work with about two hours worth of sleep almost every night for about two weeks.
Speaking of martin, he's changed the sample chapter from feast on his website, I'm about to go read it :D

Nemo0213 said:
Robert Jordans wheel of time is also a very good series. I saw someone made a comment earlier about how they drop off toward the last couple of books. It has been about three or four years since I have read the entire series but fromwhat I can remember they kept my attention until the very end.
Yeah, that was me, its what someone told me, I have no idea whether its actually true, I havent gotten round to reading them yet, although the first 4 are sat on my shelf

Upvote 0