Which is the most accurate Catholic Bible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

helenofbritain

St Mary MacKillop of the Cross, pray for us
Oct 24, 2006
Canberra
✟21,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You're welcome :)

On a practical level, I must confess that I don't read much outside the New Testament for devotional reading. I do have to study the Old Testament lots of course for my degree. For me, a focus on Christ is what's important.
And yet, if we do not understand the Old Covenant, the New Covenant loses some of its meaning, don't you think? Jesus made sure He fulfilled all the prophesies about Himself... the Ten Commandments are still important... Genesis is a good read....

Upvote 0
L

LostFound1986

Oh I do think its important, I just tend to have to study problem texts in it, (Joshua 7, Hosea 2 etc.) or books that are almost impossible to relate to he New Covenant (Leviticus). The prophets are also full of a multitude of strangeness. Academic study of the Old Testament tends to depress me on a number of levels I'm afraid, lol.

When I was little I had an illustrated book of Bible stories, picking out the 'best' stories of the Old Testament...that's best way to read them I think :D I might take it in and see what my professors think :p

Upvote 0

twosid

Jun 30, 2003
Woodstock, Georgia
Visit site
✟2,396.00
Faith
Christian
Fair enough then. I have to say that if we were to get overly simplistic about things, it really seems like

OT = Vengeful God
NT = Loving God

Please God don't smite me for typing that.

I'd say in part at least that is accurate. I think the Old Testament story that bothered me the most was when Uzzah was trying to steady the Ark and God killed him for touching it. It makes me furious every time I think about it. Wonder how the world would be if we killed our children every time we said don't do something and they did it anyway.

Upvote 0
L

LostFound1986

Fair enough then. I have to say that if we were to get overly simplistic about things, it really seems like

OT = Vengeful God
NT = Loving God

Please God don't smite me for typing that.
Hehe, I understand that, helenofbritain. Not only is there the vengeful aspect which is difficult, but there are also issues such as inconsistancy, varying theologies and some apparently totally irrelevant stuff!

The Old Testament is a mish-mash of ancient literature, built up, edited and reworked over a period of over a thausand years. It contains conflicting outlooks (Leviticus vs. Deuteronomy for 2 different religious worldviews), duplications with similar ancient stories (The Gilgamesh Flood story, something I'm writing a dissertation on), and even duplicates within itself, (1 Samuel to 2 Kings covers the same period and events as 1 + 2 Chronicles, yet reports events differently).

Our understanding of the OT as a text has deepened enormously over the last 200 years. Of course, our understanding of it as a religious revelation has been going on for much longer. I think in the end, Christianity is not the faith of the 'dead letter' but a living faith. The obscurity of some of the OT can be seen as representing God's gradual revelation to humanity, culminating of course in the ultimate revelation of Christ.

With regards to twosid's comment about the death from touching the Ark, there are many incidents like this. In Joshua 7, a Achor's wife and children are burnt along with him because of his sin which they had no knowledge of. Or, perhaps the even more bizzare occurance in 1 Kings 20:35-37, in which a prophet walks up to a fellow prophet and says: "Hit me! God commands it!" The poor prophet refuses to hurt his friend, to which the other prophet replies: "Because you have disobeyed God, you will be eaten by lions." The poor pacifist then meets his end.

I think a principle to remember in a lot of the Old Testament is that the key part of God's redemption had not yet been revealed. Much that happened to the Israelites was an illustration or a lesson. Furthermore, scripture is understood as inspired by God in that what God wanted written, was written. This doesn't necessarily mean that every incident recorded is a historical fact.

For example, in the case of the man who steadied the Arkand died, what can we take away from this ? 1. God is supremely powerful. 2. Humans are so insignificant. 3. God cannot compromise his holiness (They'd been told not to touch the Ark under any circumstance). 4. It kinda says, 'What chance to we have of being acceptable to God on our own merits?' thus all salvation must be a gift of God, one can't 'earn' grace.

And the Ark carrying guy who died to give us those lessons? Well....just say, for argument's sake, he didn't. Say this was just a story made up to instill a fear of God, if it makes us learn the above lessons, does it necessarily matter? Could not God have intentionally ensured this story was included so that we might learn such lessons?

Many of course would not be comfortable with that idea; again, fair enough, if that man really did die for the sake of the lesson, God is God and never unjust, someones death does not prevent him from redeeming him.

Upvote 0

plmarquette

Veteran
Oct 5, 2004
Auburn , IL.
✟4,379.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
you can go to either :
www.biblegateway.com or www.blueletterbible.com and look at different versions , run searches .
some one here had a link to a catholic search engine , and I believe there is one at www.ewtn.org

A concordance and an expository dictionary will also help you to find out more about the bible, giving you specific passages / specific questions , saving you time

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.