Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
✟20,512.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Which is the Law of God?

The Old Testament? The New Testament? Or the Gospel?...

The Law of God taught byJesus Christ

"Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets" (Matthew 7:12)

What God wants is the mercy

"If you had known what this means, I want mercy and not sacrifice, you wouldn’t have condemned the innocent" (Matthew 12:7)

Jesus speaks to the pharisees about the Law

When the Pharisees heard that Jesus had left the Sadducees speechless, they met together. One of them, a legal expert, tested him. Teacher, what is the greatest commandment in the Law? He replied, “You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your being, and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: You must love your neighbor as you love yourself. All the Law and the Prophets depend on these two commands” (Matthew 22:34-40)

Jesus teaches to a rich man, the precepts of the Law

"And behold, one came to him and said, Teacher, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, Why askest thou me concerning that which is good? One there is who is good: but if thou wouldest enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? And Jesus said, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honor thy father and mother; and, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. The young man saith unto him, All these things have I observed: what lack I yet? Jesus said unto him, If thou wouldest be perfect, go, sell that which thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. But when the young man heard the saying, he went away sorrowful; for he was one that had great possessions" (Matthew 19:16-22)

These are the commandments of the Gospel, which are very different to the commandments of the Old Testament, for all the commandments of the Gospel are merciful, but many Old Testament commandments commands death sentences, wars and slavery.

So what is the law that the Christians must follow?

Last edited:

Porque77

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
✟20,512.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
it is LOVE

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Hello michael. You say love, but what kind of love? ...

Love for Old Testament laws?

Love for the commandments of Paul's letters?

Or love for the commandments of the gospel?[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
What is what Jesus commanded us to preach?

I think the love that you refer to is the Gospel, Because the Old Testament laws are different.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Moreover, Paul's letters speak of the law, but are sometimes not easy to understand.[/FONT]

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Hello michael. You say love, but what kind of love? ...

Love for Old Testament laws?

Love for the commandments of Paul's letters?

Or love for the commandments of the gospel?[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
What is what Jesus commanded us to preach?

I think the love that you refer to is the Gospel, Because the Old Testament laws are different.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Moreover, Paul's letters speak of the law, but are sometimes not easy to understand.[/FONT]

wel to be honest ,if you need ask , then you may be far from working it out .
LOve God - then all others then yourself- in that Order .
and all the godly requirements of the law will be fulfilled .
you wil do good to others harm no one help the needy and honor God ..

it is LOVE - love is to spend yourself to see and achieve the greatest possible good of all mankind God and his creation , despising what shame it may appear to bring you from those who do not understand what you do.

love does not have a "kind"

Upvote 0

Porque77

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
✟20,512.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In the strictest sense of the Hebrew word for 'Law' (Torah) Torah means 'instruction.'

Any God-given instruction from the OT or NT can be seen as 'Law.'

Hello Steve. You, the Messianic Jews say " Any instruction given by God can be seen as law." But I believe the Old Testament laws that contradict the law of the Gospel aren't laws or instructions given by God. The Law given by God before Jesus was changed and augmented by the scribes , as the prophets said:

"Woe to those who give wicked laws and scribes who write tyrannical prescriptions to set aside the poor and violate the rights of the underdog of my people, to rob widows and orphans" (Isaiah 10.1 -2)

"And the land is defiled under its inhabitants, because they have transgressed the laws, changed the commandments, broken the everlasting covenant" (Isaiah 24:5-6).

"He says, therefore, the Lord : Because this people draw near me with their mouth, and honor me with their lips, but their heart is far from Me, and their fear of me is a commandment of men which have been taught" (Isaiah 29.13).

And Jesus Christ, remembering the words of the prophet Isaiah, also told the scribes and Pharisees who were teaching commandments of men :

"Hypocrites, well did Isaiah prophesy of you, saying,
This people honors me with their lips;
But their heart is far from me.
But in vain they do worship me,
Teaching for doctrines commandments of men"
(Matthew 15.7-9

Dear friend, this is what I think happened, what the prophets tell us: that God's law was changed by the scribes. This is for what the Old Testament Law is direrente to the commandments of Jesus Christ.

So, to know the true law of God , we have only one way: know widely the commandments Jesus Christ teaches us in the Gospel . Jesus commanded to preach the Gospel to all peoples to believe in the Gospel, but many world religions ignored the Law of the Gospel and re-imposed the laws of the Old Testament that Jesus Christ had abolished .

The Messianic Jews , like many who call themselves "christians", say that all the laws of the Old Testament are "God's Law" . But Jesus Christ abolished many commandments of the Old Testament , and He abolished them because they were not God's Law.

Many Old Testament laws are harsh and unbearable , but the true Law of God (the Law of the Gospel ) is an easy yoke and a light burden . The Gospel's commandments are merciful and abolished all the commandments of the Old Testament that say that men can kill other men.

Upvote 0

trulyconverted

Nov 21, 2012
Earth
✟8,569.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jeremiah 31:32 not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them," declares the LORD. 33"But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares the LORD, "I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34"They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them," declares the LORD, "for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more."

When God writes the law on our hearts, we would know which ones to follow.

Upvote 0

Porque77

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
✟20,512.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
LOve God - then all others then yourself- in that Order .
and all the godly requirements of the law will be fulfilled .

All this is correct if you know God . And God is known through his commandments . If you do not love his commandments , you do not love God . So to know God , you must first know his commandments .

God is the Word ( the Word Incarnate ) . If you do not know the Word, do not know God.

If you do not know the Gospel, you do not know what is God's word and commandments of men which are in the Old Testament, because the Gospel is love, but the Old Testament contains the law of retaliation ("eye for eye and tooth for tooth "). Those who love the law of revenge, don't love of Jesus Christ Act. So they don't follow the way of love.

it is LOVE - love is to spend yourself to see and achieve the greatest possible good of all mankind God and his creation

To love yourself and love that what you like is one thing, but to follow what Jesus taught in the Gospel, is quite another. He who does not know the Gospel, do not know the love that God wants.

The commandments of the Gospel are all love and teach us what is love, while many Old Testament commandments lead us back to the wars, death sentences and slavery.

Wars, death sentences and slavery are not love, are not the true God's Law.

Upvote 0

Porque77

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
✟20,512.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jeremiah 31 not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them," declares the LORD. "But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares the LORD, "I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. "They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them," declares the LORD, "for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more."

When God writes the law on our hearts, we would know which ones to follow.

All right, my friend. But there is one thing more. Jesus Christ came to teach us the true Law, and they whom loves the Gospel, already have written the true Law in their hearts. In other way, all whom, after know the Gospel come back to the Old Testament's law, never have received the Gospel's Law.

Jesus Christ offered his life to teach us the true God's Law.

Upvote 0

Kemosabe

May 14, 2013
✟2,361.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Porque77: Which is the Law of God?

“That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."

God’s righteousness didn’t change; it’s impossible for God to change.

“Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.”

These commandments are still in effect.
Jesus cane and died to give us the POWER to keep the righteousness of God’s moral law.

“There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. “

Jesus came and died so that we as born-again-of-the-Spirit sons of God could be righteous before God by following the Spirit.

“God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. “
“Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Porque77

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
✟20,512.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
“That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."

God’s righteousness didn’t change; it’s impossible for God to change.

“Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother

Jesus cane and died to give us the POWER to keep the righteousness of God’s moral law.

“There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. “

Jesus came and died so that we as born-again-of-the-Spirit sons of God could be righteous before God by following the Spirit.

“God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. “
“Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death.”

All that you interpret about the scriptures is a widespread philosophy. But the fact is that the laws of the Old Testament are loaded with the precepts of men, precepts of death sentences and slavery, and precepts to do wars and genocides and many sacrifices that God don't commanded.

The Gospel abolished the Old Testament law. The gospel does not command those terrible things that commands the Old Testament . The Gospel is all mercy and forgive, and commands us to love our neighbors and our enemies.

Many Old Testament laws were abolished simply because they were not commandments of God. Jesus Christ did not come to abolish the true law of God, but abolished many commandments of the Old Testament because they were only human regulations.

In Matthew 5:21-48 and elsewhere in the Gospel, you can see that Jesus Christ abolished many precepts of the Old Testament.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All this is correct if you know God . And God is known through his commandments . If you do not love his commandments , you do not love God . So to know God , you must first know his commandments .

God is the Word ( the Word Incarnate ) . If you do not know the Word, do not know God.

If you do not know the Gospel, you do not know what is God's word and commandments of men which are in the Old Testament, because the Gospel is love, but the Old Testament contains the law of retaliation ("eye for eye and tooth for tooth "). Those who love the law of revenge, don't love of Jesus Christ Act. So they don't follow the way of love.

To love yourself and love that what you like is one thing, but to follow what Jesus taught in the Gospel, is quite another. He who does not know the Gospel, do not know the love that God wants.

The commandments of the Gospel are all love and teach us what is love, while many Old Testament commandments lead us back to the wars, death sentences and slavery.

Wars, death sentences and slavery are not love, are not the true God's Law.

the word of God is incarnate .. his name is Jesus ...listen to him . you do that and you obey God ..for he is God speaking . on this we agree . but the law displayed righteousness and justice .and still does . and yet the one who established the law also said ..he desires mercy .. so mercy rejoices over justice . mercy is an act of love . and in love the righteous requirements of the law are fulfilled. and we are free to love .
stil it remains the same love .

for G-d IS LOVE

Upvote 0

Porque77

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
✟20,512.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
[SIZE=3 said:
Porque77:[/size]]Which is the Law of God?
Jesus Christ tells us that the Law and the prophets is this:

"All things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you , do ye even so to them:
for this is the law and the prophets." (Matthew 7:12)

“Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother

Very well. But other many Old Testament's commandments were abolished.

There is only one Law. Jesus Christ came to teach us the true Law. Only the Law of Jesus Christ is the God's Law. But many commandments of the Old Testament are only precepts of men. Jesus Christ abolished the precepts of men of the Old Testament. You can see it en Matthew 5:21-48 and Gospel's other parts.

All the children of God before Jesus Christ (all men of good will) are Spirit's sons. But the men which are following the Old Testament's commandments to kill, to do wars, and to impose slavery, they are the flesh's sons.

The Old Testament's law were abolished by Jesus Christ because in that law there were many commandments of men.

It is so. Then, we must follow the Gospel's Law because the Gospel's Law is the true Law that received Moses. The Old testament's Law contain many precepts of men. The prophets tell so:

" ... My people know not the judgment of Yahweh. How do ye say, We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us ? Certainly has changed into a lie the lying pen of the scribes" (Jeremiah 8:7-9) .

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"Woe to those who give wicked laws and scribes who write tyrannical prescriptions to set aside the poor and violate the rights of the underdog of my people, to rob widows and orphans" (Isaiah 10.1 -2)

"And the land is defiled under its inhabitants, because they have transgressed the laws, changed the commandments, broken the everlasting covenant" (Isaiah 24:5-6).

"He says, therefore, the Lord : Because this people draw near me with their mouth, and honor me with their lips, but their heart is far from Me, and their fear of me is a commandment of men which have been taught" (Isaiah 29.13).

And Jesus Christ, remembering the words of the prophet Isaiah, also told the scribes and Pharisees who were teaching the commandments of men :

"Hypocrites, well did Isaiah prophesy of you, saying,
This people honors me with their lips;
But their heart is far from me.
But in vain they do worship me,
Teaching for doctrines commandments of men"
(Matthew 15.7-9
[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Dear friend, this is what I think happened, what the prophets tell us: that God's law was changed by the scribes. This is for what the Old Testament Law is direrente to the commandments of Jesus Christ.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Many religions teached that Old Testament's law was all gave by God. But all this is a big mistake, because this religious philosofy is different to all what Jesus Christ teached us.

Jesus Christ teached us that the true God's Law is the Law that Himself teached us.

Jesus Christ is God. And He don't give laws differents in differents times. The men are whom change the laws they like impose in every time.

[/FONT]

Upvote 0

Porque77

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
✟20,512.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A great confusion appeared in the world since the fourth century (Emperor Constantine).

In the fourth century , the emperors of Rome, who had never wanted the commandments of the Gospel , were those who imposed the belief that the commandments of the Old Testament punishment of death , sacrifice and slavery, were the commandments of God . Jesus had abolished all those commandments of death and slavery , and the powerful and greedy men reimposed these commandments saying that were "commandments of God."

And this is the confusion that many religions have lived since the fourth century (Emperor Constantine and his successors). Then, other religions have appeared imposed by the warlords who have also called "commandments of God" to the laws of death and slavery of the Old Testament. And this has led to great confusion in the world and has made ​​the world does not follow the commandments of the Gospel.

The emperors of Rome in the fourth century, abandoned the commandments of the Gospel and reimposed Old Testament laws to enslave the nations.

Jesus came not to be served but to serve

"Jesus called them together and said," You know that the rulers of the nations tyrannize and their great ones are tyrants over power. Among you there must not be so, but if any of you wants to be great, be your servant, and whoever wants to be first, be servant of all, in the same manner as the son of man is not come to be served but to serve and give his life a ransom for many" (Matthew 20:25-28)

Upvote 0

Kemosabe

May 14, 2013
✟2,361.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Porque77: A great confusion appeared in the world since the fourth century (Emperor Constantine).

I don’t think anyone is confused about that.
We’re not under the Mosaic Law.

You seem to misunderstand the relationship of the Mosaic Law to salvation.
However, if you follow this scripture, you can’t go wrong.

“Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.”

[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']
[/FONT]

Reactions: psalms 91
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Porque77

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
✟20,512.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I don’t think anyone is confused about that.
We’re not under the Mosaic Law.

I think that you're confused, because the Law given to Moses is the law of the Gospel, because Jesus Christ is God and He was the one who gave the Law to Moses.

But one thing is the Law given to Moses (the Law of the Gospel) and another thing is the Old Testament Law. The Old Testament Law was changed by the scribes:

" ... My people know not the judgment of Yahweh. How do ye say, We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us ? Certainly has changed into a lie the lying pen of the scribes" (Jeremiah 8:7-9) .

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"Woe to those who give wicked laws and scribes who write tyrannical prescriptions to set aside the poor and violate the rights of the underdog of my people, to rob widows and orphans" (Isaiah 10.1 -2)

"And the land is defiled under its inhabitants, because they have transgressed the laws, changed the commandments, broken the everlasting covenant"
(Isaiah 24:5-6).
[/FONT]

You seem to misunderstand the relationship of the Mosaic Law to salvation.
The true Mosaic Law was the true law of God. And the true law of God is salvation. What happens is that many do not understand that the Old Testament law is the law of death because in it are many precepts of men that commanded to hurt and kill people.

“Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.”
If we do what Jesus commanded, we are friends of God. And Jesus abolished many precepts of the Old Testament (we can see it in Matthew 5:21-48 and other parts of the Gospel). And He abolished them because they weren't the true law of God.

Upvote 0

Porque77

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
✟20,512.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Bible is the Word of God. Both the Old and New Testaments are part of the Bible. If you don't believe this then you are not a Christian.
Hallo Saved... The christian people are whom belive in the Gospel, because Jesus Christ commanded preach the Gospel. So said Jesus Christ:

"Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but he that believeth not shall be damned." (Mark 16:15-16).

The Old Testament laws were imposed by the religions of the world. But Jesus Christ commanded preach only the Gospel.

Those whom believe en all Old Testament laws pretend to be Jews, and this is what has brought great confusion to the people called "Christians" because only God's people are those who follow the commandments of the Gospel.

Upvote 0

Ian Ferrin

Apr 29, 2013
Sierra Nevada high country
✟17,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
what is the law that the Christians must follow?
“O Death, where is your sting?
O Hades, where is your victory?”

The sting of death is sin, and the strength of sin is the law.
1Cor 15:55-56 NKJV

Upvote 0

Porque77

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
✟20,512.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
“O Death, where is your sting?
O Hades, where is your victory?”

The sting of death is sin, and the strength of sin is the law.
1Cor 15:55-56 NKJV

All this religious filosophy is very extended, but Jesus Christ gave his life to teach us the true Law and the true commandments of God, Law and commandments which many wants forget. We, for love to Jesus Christ, come back to remember these commandments:

The faith in Jesus Christ say us we must comply with the commandments of the Gospel:

The Law of God taught by Jesus Christ

"Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets" (Matthew 7:12)

Jesus teaches to a rich man, the precepts of the Law

"And behold, one came to him and said, Teacher, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, Why askest thou me concerning that which is good? One there is who is good: but if thou wouldest enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? And Jesus said, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honor thy father and mother; and, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. The young man saith unto him, All these things have I observed: what lack I yet? Jesus said unto him, If thou wouldest be perfect, go, sell that which thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. But when the young man heard the saying, he went away sorrowful; for he was one that had great possessions" (Matthew 19:16-22)

These are the commandments of the Gospel, which are very different to the commandments of the Old Testament, for all the commandments of the Gospel are merciful, but many Old Testament commandments commands death sentences, wars and slavery.

The Grace and the faith in Jesus Christ is fulfill his commandments.

Last edited:
Upvote 0