Futurist Only Which bible translation and bible commentary agrees most with Futurism?

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟294,052.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Is there a certain translation of the Scriptures and certain bible commentary that better supports the Futurist interpretation of Scripture?
It isn't the Bible translation that colors peoples beliefs about the future.
It is what they have been taught, as most Christians simply don't bother to carefully study the Prophetic Word. They like to hear 'nice' ideas, fables that tickle the ears, 2 Timothy 4:3-4.

The end times events will be a big surprise to all the world, but we Christians should not be in the dark about God's plans for our future.
1 Thess 5:4-8

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Is there a certain translation of the Scriptures and certain bible commentary that better supports the Futurist interpretation of Scripture?

Honestly if you can't get your eschatalogical view from any accepted translation of the bible then your eschatology view is wrong.
See the "Andy Woods" interpretation of 2 Thessalonians 2:3 using cherrypicked translations in order to make it support a pretribulation rapture.
That doctrine cannot stand because it declares that God does not preserve His word and that the Word of God is wrong and the Word of Andy Woods is right.

That said, I think any translation can be interpreted to show that Jesus is coming again in the future, and given that Revelation was written after 90AD, it was not referring to 70AD.

Upvote 0

Christian Gedge

Nov 29, 2017
Waikato
Visit site
✟227,210.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Futurism is built on a future seven years period during which time an antichrist ruler will make a treaty with Israel and then break his covenant. The key scripture used is Daniel 9:27. The New New Living Translation literally writes futurist doctrine into the text.

“After this period of sixty-two sets of seven, the Anointed One will be killed, appearing to have accomplished nothing, and a ruler will arise whose armies will destroy the city and the Temple. The end will come with a flood, and war and its miseries are decreed from that time to the very end.

The ruler will make a treaty with the people for a period of one set of seven, but after half this time, he will put an end to the sacrifices and offerings. And as a climax to all his terrible deeds, he will set up a sacrilegious object that causes desecration, until the fate decreed for this defiler is finally poured out on him.” (Daniel 9:26-27 NLT)

So there we have it - on paper and ink. For comparison sake, I’ve put the NKJV below. It translates word for word with no emphasis one way or other. But it’s hard to get a futurist picture from the NKJV from what I can see.

“And after the sixty-two weeks Messiah shall be cut off, but not for Himself; And the people of the prince who is to come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end of it shall be with a flood, And till the end of the war desolations are determined.

Then he shall confirm a covenant with many for one week; But in the middle of the week He shall bring an end to sacrifice and offering. And on the wing of abominations shall be one who makes desolate, Even until the consummation, which is determined, is poured out on the desolate.” (Daniel 9:26-27 NKJV)

Reactions: keras
Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Futurism is built on a future seven years period during which time an antichrist ruler will make a treaty with Israel and then break his covenant. The key scripture used is Daniel 9:27. The New New Living Translation literally writes futurist doctrine into the text.

“After this period of sixty-two sets of seven, the Anointed One will be killed, appearing to have accomplished nothing, and a ruler will arise whose armies will destroy the city and the Temple. The end will come with a flood, and war and its miseries are decreed from that time to the very end.

The ruler will make a treaty with the people for a period of one set of seven, but after half this time, he will put an end to the sacrifices and offerings. And as a climax to all his terrible deeds, he will set up a sacrilegious object that causes desecration, until the fate decreed for this defiler is finally poured out on him.” (Daniel 9:26-27 NLT)

So there we have it - on paper and ink. For comparison sake, I’ve put the NKJV below. It translates word for word with no emphasis one way or other. But it’s hard to get a futurist picture from the NKJV from what I can see.

“And after the sixty-two weeks Messiah shall be cut off, but not for Himself; And the people of the prince who is to come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end of it shall be with a flood, And till the end of the war desolations are determined.

Then he shall confirm a covenant with many for one week; But in the middle of the week He shall bring an end to sacrifice and offering. And on the wing of abominations shall be one who makes desolate, Even until the consummation, which is determined, is poured out on the desolate.” (Daniel 9:26-27 NKJV)

I'm a futurist and I came to that conclusion despite being taught by partial preterists for a lot of my life through both the NIV that I originally read, and the KJV.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟417,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Awesome post. thank you!

Upvote 0