Veteran
Jun 17, 2005
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟9,257.00
Faith
Non-Denom
MikeDeanRN said:
Keep in mind that if you are reading anything other than the original hebrew and Greek texts, you are simply reading a translation. you can argue all day about what the best translations are, but they still remain translations.
This is true. There are difficulties when translating from one language to another. The best way to get the full meaning and power of the Bible is to read it in the original language.

Regarding English translations, though, not having read all of the many out there, I can only comment on the ones I know. The King James, in spite of the many complaints I have heard against it, still remains not only a masterful work of translation but a beautiful work of English literature as well. The NIV seems to be a very popular version. However, virtually every time I read a passage in it in the NT and compare it to the Greek text, I find unexplainable deviations from the Greek text. I find that at times it leaves significant words out, and other times is simply mistranslates a word or phrase. Generally, for the NT I do not like it. It leaves me with a strong suspicion that the translators had some strong bias or agenda when they translated it. I think that, at least for the New Testament, the KJV is a more faithful and accurate translation than the NIV.

Here is an interesting statement I found on the Internet about modern translations. It is an interesting statement of a common attitude of our times: "The problem is that our modern generation refuses to have any ONE AUTHORITY over them. We are our OWN gods. We will not have anyone rule over us. This modernistic tendancy
leads us to desire all sorts of 'bibles' that use less condemning words and soft phrases that are not designed to convict or condemn. If we have about one hundred modern
versions from which to choose, we can "pick and choose" the individual verses that WE want to believe, rather than to rely upon ONE particular authority."

(Here is the link to the full post: http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/t66869 )

Reactions: Woodsy
Upvote 0

thejimbo

Aug 28, 2006
Minneapolis\Mankato MN
✟7,663.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I like to read the NRSV but for study I combine that with an NRSV study bible and the New Jersalem bible. The Jerusalem bible I like because an attempt was made at using a combination of existing modern translations while emphasising translating the oldest available manuscrits. A few examples of deferences in the NJB are; the tetragramaton - YHWH- is spelled out Yahweh, though I'm not to fond of that, as opposed to LORD. This helps me with passages like
"the LORD said to my Lord" would read
"Yahweh said to my Lord".
Also when it says " LORD of hosts" or "LORD of armies" in the NRSV the NJB would say "Yahweh Sabaoth" (confused me for a while but led me to do more research).
I have also read some out of the KJV ( might be NKJV not sure) but to tell the truth I saw little difference between these 3 so long as the language is understood. I do however like the NJB for the old testament because it seems more specific. No more seeing LORD, Lord, and lord. Usually that would be Yahweh, Adonai ( sometimes still Lord) and then the mundane lord.
on a side note although the name Jahova ( sorry can't spell for some reason) is an inaccurate translation - YHWH + adonai- I don't really know that the name YHWH can really be known.

Upvote 0

FallingWaters

Woman of God
Mar 29, 2006
Maine
✟38,902.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I've heard that the best one is the KJV for accuracy. I have a LITV MKJV KJV. I've been told that those are the most accurate. I've heard that the new translations are mostly blashphemy garbage.

Is they're a Bible that is true to HIS original Word, but is updated to todays english and terminology. I've been told even if you change circumsicion and non-circumsicised to a believer or non-believer your adding to his word and also taking away from the orginal meaning.. I dont want to read something that isnt accurate or bad in Gods eyes..

Any advice suggestions

In Christ

Rich
I will never trust the KJV again, or the NKJV for that matter.

I have been reading Adam Clarke Commentaries on the New Testament and over and over again, he makes note of the fact that certain phrases appaer in the KJV that are not in other, older, trustworthy or majority manuscripts.

The manuscripts that were used to write the KJV were added to by someone who obviously had no respect for the sacredness of scripture.

The NASB is more accurate and trustworthy.

Upvote 0

VCViking

Go ye into all the world, and preach the Gospel...
Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I posted this in Bibliology & Hermeneutics. Thought I'd give it a shot here.

Does anyone have any info, views, opinions, etc., good or bad, on KJ3 (King James 3) version (also know as LITV) and/or the Modern King James Version (MKJV)? Or on it's translator, Jay P. Green.

Here's some links:

http://chrlitworld.com/cartease/item...?ID=1878442341

http://www.sovgracepub.com/bibles/mkjv.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Bible-Mod...e=UTF8&s=books

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-King-Ja...e=UTF8&s=books

Thanks and God Bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ny5i

Dec 10, 2006
Visit site
✟7,781.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And btw - try a Bible before you buy it. Download the Bible program from www.e-sword.net ; it's very similar to the programs that pastors or bible college students use and has a LOT of translations, commentaries, dictionaries, and lexicons available for download, too. This site and the materials it provides have helped me a great deal in my walk with Christ; I hope they help you, too.

fly with Christ,
Caleb

I'll +1 the eSword program. I have it for my PDA and thanks to wonderful storage space have 6 different translations available. It's also got a parallel, commentaries, dictionaries and devotionals.

When I use it, I tend to look at various translations to see the way different people looked at the text. It does help me see the inconsistencies that others have pointed out.

I also found a site called the "Blue Letter Bible" at blueletterbible.org that takes many of the eSword features and puts them online. It also links to hymns tied with a particular scripture as well as the original hebrew or greek with a concordance guide.

I grew up southern baptist so I'm preferential to the NIV but sometimes for readings or studies it does help me to look at different translations.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.