Not open for further replies.

Blindfaith

God's Tornado
Feb 9, 2002
Home of the Slug
✟7,755.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Where was Jesus after He was Crucified and before His Resurrection?  I've heard different theories on this, and am interested to hear what others think/believe.

Was He separated from God and in a state of "nothingness"?

Did He go to Hell as some believe?

Did He go to Heaven and then come back down for the Resurrection and to walk again on earth for a limited amount of time?

If at all possible, please include scripture. 

~Peace!

Brain Damage

Generally Medicated
Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
✟18,745.00
Faith
Christian
Today at 01:47 AM Yekcidmij said this in Post #2

I think there is a good possibility he was in heaven....after all he did tell the thief that "today you will be with me in paradise".

Hi Yekcidmij , but why would jesus go to heaven twice ?

Acts 1 :

&nbsp;And while they looked steadfastly toward heaven as He went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel,<SUP> 11</SUP>who also said, "Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven."

I also heard that the original scriptures were written in Greek and that the Greek language doesn't use punctuation marks .

So when it was transferred into English they put a commer in the wrong place and that it should have read&nbsp; :

And Jesus said to him, "Assuredly, I say to you today , you will be with Me in Paradise."

&nbsp;

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The biblcal passage that sheds most light on this question I believe is 1 Peter 3:18-20.

For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the spirit: By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; Which sometime were disobedient, when once the long-suffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a prepareing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Also 1 Timothy 3:16.

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Colossians 2:15.

And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

The Apostles' Creed, composed in the early Christian era, reads "He descended into Hell and on the third day rose again"

&nbsp;

The interpretation I believe&nbsp; for these passages is that after Jesus died he went to proclaim his victory to the fallen angels. The same angels Peter talks about in 2 Peter 2:4.

For God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment.

And also the angels Jude talks about in Jude 6.

And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

Jesus wanted to let these fallen angels know his victory had been completed at the cross, and thus their judgment had been sealed. This event was so monumentous in history, his victory so complete, he wanted them to know that forever more He and he alone is Lord of all.

&nbsp;

Upvote 0

dnich163

dnich163
Mar 8, 2002
Glasgow, Scotland
Visit site
✟743.00
Faith
Catholic
I think he visited the underworld/hell or whatever word you use. If he came to save us it would seem to me that he would carry out an act like this. He described many acts like this, the shepherd and the one lost sheep for example.

The favourite Theologian of the present Pope is Hans Urs Von Balthasar. A swiss Jesuit who did a lot of work on Christlogy as well as being a prolific writer on all aspects of Theology.

His view was that at the crucifiction, the sacred trinity was ripped asunder and Jesus was in effect abandoned by God.
If God is only pure love, then he would have to abandon Jesus for Jesus to take on our sins.

Please remember that there is a great deal of symbolism here, and we really struggle for the words to explain adequately what Jesus did and is.

David

Upvote 0

dnich163

dnich163
Mar 8, 2002
Glasgow, Scotland
Visit site
✟743.00
Faith
Catholic
Today at 04:45 PM DeputyDan said this in Post #7

He went to Hell for the 3 days .... but not hell as we think of it.&nbsp;

Hi Dan,

I think it would have to be the hell we know, it would be an act of solidarity of God with Man and Jesus would have to go to that place, not because he was sinful but to rescue sinners.

David

Upvote 0

JesusServant

do not stray too far left nor right but CENTER
Dec 5, 2002
✟19,768.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Also note that Jesus told Mary not to touch Him because He had not yet ascended to be with His Father. If He had already ascended then why would He say He had not ascended?

(John 20:17) Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and [to] my God, and your God.

By this alone I can conclude that He did not go to Heaven while His body was in the grave.&nbsp; However, many believe that He went to Hades and took the keys from death (I believe this to be true in the symbolic meaning but not in the literal meaning).&nbsp; Does anyone have Scripture that backs up this theory?

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Here's a question for you JesusServant. Why would God tell Mary not to touch him but tell Thomas to stick his hand in his side and touch the wounds on his hands? Didn't these two events happen on the same day?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I really dont know. I was just stating what Jesus said to the thief when he was crucified. It seems pretty simple and self explanatory...."Today you will be with me in paradise". Why whould Jesus have said this if it wasnt true?

I dont know where the idea of Jesus desending to hell comes from. Maybe someone could help me out with that one.

I guess in the grand scheme of things it doesnt really matter anyways.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yek. it seems as though you and everyone else here has skiped over my post. Here, I'll try it again!

The biblcal passage that sheds most light on this question I believe is 1 Peter 3:18-20.

For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the spirit: By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; Which sometime were disobedient, when once the long-suffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a prepareing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Also 1 Timothy 3:16.

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the spirit, <B>seen of angels</B>, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Colossians 2:15.

And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

The Apostles' Creed, composed in the early Christian era, reads "He descended into Hell and on the third day rose again"

&nbsp;

The interpretation I believe&nbsp; for these passages is that after Jesus died he went to proclaim his victory to the fallen angels. The same angels Peter talks about in 2 Peter 2:4.

For God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment.

And also the angels Jude talks about in Jude 6.

And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

Jesus wanted to let these fallen angels know his victory had been completed at the cross, and thus their judgment had been sealed. This event was so monumentous in history, his victory so complete, he wanted them to know that forever more He and he alone is Lord of all.&nbsp;

&nbsp;

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The interpretation I believeÊ for these passages is that after Jesus died he went to proclaim his victory to the fallen angels. The same angels Peter talks about in 2 Peter 2:4.

Yes agreed but what some are saying is that on top of suffering on the cross, Jesus went to hell to suffer torment in the fires there. that i dont agree. but yes, he did go down there to PROCLAIM his victory, not to suffer some more.

When he cried out IT IS FINISHED at the cross b4 he died, i believe all our sins were paid for there and then. there wasnt a part 2 in hell (for payment of our sins).

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok......how do you guys think this interpretation works out...?.....

"There was also a region surrounded by "hell" known as "paradise" where the righteous dead went prior to Calvary. It was separated by a great impassable gulf from the lower regions. It was a place of peace and comfort and was the place referred to as "Abraham's Bosom." Not only was Abraham there, but all the Old Testament saints were kept there until Christ's crucifixion. Christ then descended into hell (sheol, hades) (Psalm 16:10) (Luke 23:43) and at His ascension He led "captivity captive" and delivered the prisoners of hope from paradise and led them to heaven. Ephesians 4:8-10 says, "Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)"

One note here: Jesus did not take the punishment for our sins in hell. He took our punishment for sin on the cross as a type of a sacrificial lamb. He bore our iniquities on the cross. In 2 Corinthians 5:21 the Bible says, "For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." When it says "He was made to be sin," it means He was made to be a "sin offering." He bore the sins of many on the cross. He did not bear our sins in hell. He went to hell (Sheol, the abode of the dead) to take the keys of death and hell away from the devil and to set the captives free and take them from paradise to heaven. All those who had died in faith, prior to the cross were kept in paradise which was a temporary place of rest and blessing until Christ paid the price for His own to enter heaven permanently. Although the location of paradise was in Sheol (the abode of the dead), it was not a place of torment. It was a special protected place until the day the Lord would free those in that place of captivity.

The Bible speaks that Jesus went to hell for three days and three nights after His death on the cross. Matthew 12:40 records this statement, "For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth." He was not in hell (Sheol) to receive torment but rather to preach to those that were there awaiting their release to be taken to heaven with Him. After those three days and three nights in hell (Sheol) Jesus took all the Old Testament saints with him to heaven (including one of the thieves that was crucified next to Him. Luke 23:43: "And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.") This explains why Jesus said He would be in hell for three days and three nights and yet would that day also be in paradise. Paradise was that safe place in hell (Sheol) that all the Old Testament saints were kept until their sins were atoned for on the cross.

Jesus is now seated on the right hand of God in a position of all authority and power over all things. He is awaiting the time of His second coming to this earth to get the rest of His people and take them to heaven also. For Christians, this will be a joyous time. His second coming for the evil and wicked however, will not be a joyous event as they will be judged and then sent to hell."

*Source--> http://www.bible.com/answers/ahell.html

Upvote 0
I've always believed (didn't realise it was disputed, actually) that 'He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into hell. On the third day he rose again. He ascended into heaven...'

Christ took the sins of the world upon himself, a living sacrifice, and he had to be rid of that sin -- which made him unclean and brought a great amount of evil upon his shoulders -- before he could return to the pure goodness that is heaven.

That's always been my view on it.

Upvote 0

eRev

Marginalized
Apr 23, 2002
Arkansas
✟9,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yesterday at 12:26 AM Yekcidmij said this in Post #14

I really dont know. I was just stating what Jesus said to the thief when he was crucified. It seems pretty simple and self explanatory...."Today you will be with me in paradise". Why whould Jesus have said this if it wasnt true?

I believe Jesus was speaking to the imminence as opposed to the someday off in the future.

It has been a long time since I have studied this passage. Thank you for bringing me back to this passage of scripture. I need to come to a conclusion.

Peace in Xp,

eRev

&nbsp;

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.