Where was Jesus between the ages of say 13 until 29?

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi disciple Clint,

No, i am AM looking for help. Are you saying that just because you can't answer a tough question that i do NOT want help?
But you can't just post ANY ole verse and expect people to simply agree with you. I am sorry if you think that. I know it's frustrating for you to not be able to find certain answers in the Bible because those answers are not in the Bible. It's not YOUR fault nor is it my fault.
If you can't answer a question, then don't even try posting some link that's totally off topic and does not address the question being asked. That is just so juvenile to do. It's sort of like playing "pretend" -imagining things and then believing them.

I did not come here to ask WHO was Jesus. What is God? What is a church? What is a Bible? Who was Moses?
I'm asking QUESTIONS that i thought a Christian forum could answer.

Let's get something straight, here. The Bible is a book made up of many books that were merely put together by a bunch of bishops a long, long time ago. They had hundreds of books to consider, and they had cast many aside. They had to make it look like a story we could believe. But man, oh man, they did a bad job in some places.
The books in the Bible were not chosen by God, Himself. The Saints and others wrote the books - but a bunch of men judged them. Too many people wrongly believe that God wrote the Bible.
The Holy Spirit inspired people to write, ys, but there was a Gospel of Mary (Magdalene), a Gospel of Judas, the Infancy Gospel of Thomas, the Book of Enoch (Cain's son), and other books which the Council all discarded. They were all inspired writings.
But, yet, they decided to give us a tiny, minuscule fragment of Enoch's book and mentioned certain things only once, for some reason. They should have not mentioned Enoch and the giants, at all, then. Why did they enter as little as they did? To make their jobs much easier, while still withholding important information?
I can just imagine somebody at the Council asking, "But what if people question the gaps?"
Someone else probably responded with, "We'll just instruct the clergy to say in response, "You have to have faith, my son."
And they all looked at each other and probably said, "Agreed! Let's move on to the next item".
But no, they did NOT all agree. That's why there exists different sects of Christianity.
Some of those "forbidden" books have been included in the Bibles of different sects.

Enoch, by the way, was the first man to be taught by the angels how to write, and he wrote down, accordingly, all the secrets of astronomy, of chronology, and of the world's epochs. WOW! And his book was ommitted from the Bible? Hmmm.

I don't walk around saying to people, "God bless you" and "Amen" when they say something about Jesus to show that i read the Bible or that i consider myself to be a "religious" person. I do not try to "glorify" myself like that. It seems phony to me.
When someone goes out of their way to help me do something difficult, i will say 'may God bless you for your kindness', for your consideration, or for thinking of me.
But i certainly would never say "Blessings" when i really wanted to say 'screw off, you bother me'.
I would say screw off, instead, and not use a religious word.

Take a note - When somebody can't answer a question and says, "Oh, go believe what you want to believe" followed by "Blessings" - through gritted teeth - it really means, 'screw off, bud.'

I don't ask the easy questions. There's Google for that. I ask the questions that i've always wondered about. Like, for example, who was Cain's wife in Nod when the only people on earth were the children of Adam and Eve. Try to answer that one.
I asked a priest that, once. He told me, "We have to have faith, my son".
He knew the answer but didn't want to tell me.
I know the answer, now. But do you know her name? No. It's just another mystery? Another Biblical "X-file", perhaps?
The Bible doesn't tell us her name. The Council decided it's best that we do not know who she was. And you don't question that?
What would your response be? I can imagine you and many others would probably quote a verse saying how Jesus changed water into wine and that He walked on the water, and then throw in a 'God bless you' for good measure.
God knows her name. Cain and his siblings knew her name, Adam and Eve knew her name. But maybe, because the Bible doesn't tell us her name, we should conclude that Moses didn't know her name. Right? Moses didn't know Cain's wife's name. Hmm, MAYBE...Cain didn't even know her name?
AMAZING!
Let's all say Hallelujah now, and God bless each other for not knowing.

I appreciate your effort and your curiosity, but i think your scope is too narrow.
Read John 8:32 a few times. Let it sink in.

Thanks,
Robbie
Hey thanks for not being judgmental Robbie. Blessings

• Prayers
Reactions: robbiedaug
Upvote 0

robbiedaug

Nov 4, 2018
Montreal
✟2,920.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
We can infer he must have been earning his Rabbi credentials.

Remember that Jesus DAY JOB was NOT as a carpenter. That was an insult slandered against him by detractors. His ACTUAL day job was an officially credentialed itinerant Rabbi who made his living by preaching, teaching, and healing. This is akin to a professional evangelist who does speaking engagements or revival services today...

Notice he was allowed to teach in synagogues and in The Temple. Jesus was also allowed officially to take and train disciples. This requires official credentials and bona-fides..... As such - he must have studied under another recognized Rabbi and received official letters certifying he had earned his credentials from that Rabbi (or whatever was required)...

We don’t know where Jesus earned his credentials - but we know that he did or they would not have allowed him to teach in The Temple or to officially take and train disciples.

Hi, JohnC2,

Hmm, interesting, but is there any proof of that, somewhere?

Let's remember, when Herod heard of the birth of the Jesus, he ordered the Massacre of the Innocents to try to kill Jesus.

When Jesus was amazing the scholars and rabbis in the temple at the age of 12 or 13, i'm sure the powers that be were not impressed, in the least.
They later crucified him.

If we read the Infancy Gospel of Thomas, it seems He was teaching the rabbis.
This could be WHY Mary and Joseph took Him away to keep Him safe.

Otherwise, why would the Bible NOT mention Jesus as a rabbi between the ages of 13 - 29 while he was "preaching as a child rabbi"?

Something is missing.

Thanks,
Robbie

Last edited:
Upvote 0

robbiedaug

Nov 4, 2018
Montreal
✟2,920.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Hey thanks for not being judgmental Robbie. Blessings

Hi, disciple Clint,
I might be wrong but you seem rather insincere with that statement.
Please, you can keep any back-handed "blessings" to yourself.
And remember that Jesus is watching this conversation.
Matthew 18:20

Thank you,
Robbie

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JohnC2

Aug 21, 2014
✟22,503.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, JohnC2,

Hmm, interesting, but is there any proof of that, somewhere?

Let's remember, when Herod heard of the birth of the Jesus, he ordered the Massacre of the Innocents to try to kill Jesus.

When Jesus was amazing the scholars and rabbis in the temple at the age of 12 or 13, i'm sure the powers that be were not impressed, in the least.
They later crucified him.

This could be WHY Mary and Joseph took Him away to keep Him safe.

Otherwise, why would the Bible NOT mention Jesus as a rabbi between the ages of 13 - 29 while he was "preaching as a child rabbi"?

Something is missing.

Thanks,
Robbie

Thomas isn’t scripture and it was penned by Gnostics who were trying to show Jesus was not actually a human but rather a god. As such - I think we can safely reject it as authoritative on this matter..

It’s easy to find scriptures where Jesus is called “Rabbi”. Take John 3 where Nichodemus refers to Jesus with the specific title “Rabbi”. Notice Jesus is not referred to as a teacher using the Greek word for teacher but the specific Hebrew title Rabbi...

Also notice Jesus challenge to the Temple Leadership in Matt 26, Mark 14, and Luke 22 - “I sat daily with you teaching in the temple and you never arrested me there”. Jesus had the appropriate credentials to legally teach in the temple and was recognized by the leadership as such.

Also notice that while the Pharisees, Sadducees, and Hellenistis argued with him over many matters including him being of illegitimate birth - they never questioned his Rabbinic credentials... That would have been a ridiculously easy administrative way to shut him down wouldn’t it....

Now compare this to The Apostles in Acts 4 when people marvelled at them because they were “untrained and uneducated men”. It’s pretty clear in that passage that the temple officials were getting complaints because they didn’t have official credentials - but they couldn’t run them off because of the “notable miracles” the Apostles were working....

Upvote 0

robbiedaug

Nov 4, 2018
Montreal
✟2,920.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi John C2,

Thank you for the time spent on responding. I wish you had not tried to sidetrack the conversation, however.

All these things to which you refer is Jesus as an adult when he already had His disciples and had begun His Galilean Ministry. BUT none of it is addressing or answering my initial question concerning His ages between 13 and 29.
But i will address it and respond to it all. This time.

Please, do not bother to respond to my hypothetical questions in this long response.
Many of them are not meant to be answered.

And enjoy the music videos. They do serve a purpose.

Let me begin.
We can infer he must have been earning his Rabbi credentials.
His ACTUAL day job was an officially credentialed itinerant Rabbi who made his living by preaching, teaching, and healing.
Infer? You mean, you are offering conjecture without any proof. That's what it is without proof - conjecture.
And since when did rabbis heal?

Do you really believe that Jesus taught at a "job for a wage" to earn a living? That was His profession? How much money did He earn per speech, then?
Hmm, so Jesus was a professional rabbi working for money to support himself? You must be confusing Jesus with a different prophet.
Jesus gave to the poor, healed the sick, raised the dead, fed multitudes of people fish, bread and wine and he never even asked for so much as a tip. What are you talking about!

I see you can agree that He was an itinerant (one who travels around). But not too far away, because He had to be responsible and pay his taxes for the all that money He earned as a "working rabbi for pay"?
Listen to yourself.

Notice he was allowed to teach in synagogues and in The Temple. Jesus was also allowed officially to take and train disciples. This requires official credentials and bona-fides..... As such - he must have studied under another recognized Rabbi and received official letters certifying he had earned his credentials from that Rabbi (or whatever was required)...
"Notice" where in the Bible or anywhere else for that matter? Notice what? You seem to know where to look, so, please, show me what i should notice.

Oh, so Jesus had official papers allowing Him to teach?
Wow! He was so lucky to have official papers but i wonder why they killed Him - i mean, c'mon, He had official papers giving Him legal permission to teach and say He was the Son of God - oh, oh and a rabbi?
Show me where it says he was given permission.
Being allowed to speak publically does not require official permission or a certification, whatsoever.
Is there a verse in which it says 'And then, Jesus was given an official paper giving Him permission to speak as a (paid) rabbi (or whatever)'?
It doesn't exist in Jesus' case.

Was He "allowed" to preach in temples?...or wasn't He simply tolerated by the "powers that were, back in the day", to speak - until it went too far and lead to His crucifixion?
Seems to me if He was "allowed" to teach in the temples then that would suggest that He was accepted by the authorities. But He was not accepted, therefore, He was given no permission to "teach" as a rabbi.
What bothered the authorities was that He was referred to by His followers as the Son of God.
Things were getting way out of hand and they murdered Him for what He said.

Pilate's Dream - Jesus Christ Superstar (1973) <-----Start here.

We don’t know where Jesus earned his credentials - but we know that He did or they would not have allowed him to teach in The Temple or to officially take and train disciples.
Yes, you very correct when you say, "We don’t know where Jesus earned his credentials".
Does the Son of God need to earn credentials - He's the Son of God! What are you talking about!

And i'll say again that He was given no official permission to teach or train disciples. Saying what you say is PURE conjecture.
Show me where He was given official permission to teach and train disciples.
Show me where the Pharisees called Him or referred to Him as an official rabbi. As far as they were concerned, He was a heretic, a criminal worthy of being put to death - and He was put death as a heretic.
His followers called Him rabbi. But is the Son of God a mere rabbi? No.
Matthew 7:28-29
Matthew 16:15-16
Did Jesus claim to be a rabbi? I thought He claimed to be the Son of God.
He was not crucified for being called a rabbi but for people saying that he was the Son of God, and His referring to Heaven as "His Kingdom, not of this earth".

Thomas isn’t scripture and it was penned by Gnostics who were trying to show Jesus was not actually a human but rather a god. As such - I think we can safely reject it as authoritative on this matter..
It is believed to have been penned by Gnostics.
Define scripture.
One definition is, "Something written".
I see you're suggesting that it's heresy or Gnosticism to say Jesus is the Son of God - either now or back then. Thomas was moved to write something that God wanted him to document - Jesus' pre-adolescent childhood.
Maybe the Second Council decided that Jesus was a heretic because Thomas wrote what He did as a child, and THAT's why you say what you say?
Thomas' Gospel was tossed to the side by the Second Council. I've read it. Anyone can find it online. It's really quite interesting.

I often wonder what Jesus would have thought about the decisions made by the various Councils of Nicaea who had decided on which idols we should worship and which scriptures should be canonized. I don't think Jesus authorizes idol worship. Do you? They did. And now, we worship idols.
I wonder if Jesus would have eventually called His Ministry "Christianity".
Jesus never claimed to be a Christian. That name came much later.
He followed the Old Testament as a Hebrew.
He was preaching something NEW and completely different, though, and mixed His Word into the "soup".

I wonder if Hebrew Jesus celebrated Christmas or Channuka. Lemme think now (taps forehead and thinks). He was a Hebrew...hmmm. He is the Christ...hmmm.
If people want to be like Jesus, maybe we should all celebrate Channukah instead of Christmas. The Bible does not instruct us to celebrate Christmas.

Why should we reject Thomas' scripture if it is an inspired "scripture"? I don't care what the 2nd Council decided. The various Councils' decisions were more like business decisions for the business of..."churching", instead of to spread the Ministry of (not for profit or personal gain) Jesus Christ.

Do people agree that we follow the Nicene Councils' decisions just to respect the bishops of the Council, and maybe to satisfy the churches who PREACH FOR MONEY and hold out the donation basket a few times during Sunday mass so they can just horde it instead of feeding the poor with the money they EARN, so the church can continue getting richer and richer?
Matthew 19:24

A stark contrast to the next photo of the pope.
the last supper - Google Search:

Do you think the popes will be in welcomed into Heaven?
pope's gold - Google Search:

A song i wrote.

The miracles of Jesus as a child in the Infancy Gospels of Thomas are blasphemy because the Council said so? I don't think so. I think it only serves to give further proof of His greatness. All little boys are naughty at times.
The Infancy Gospels of Thomas was written in the very early days - the 1st or 2nd century AD.
I offer that the Council didn't want people to know that Jesus, as a child, was very mischievous and very much, for lack of a better word, a "brat" who toyed with His supernatural powers. It says that Jesus actually did evil deeds with His powers - he was just a child, and we know how children can be quite mean because they lack the understanding of adults. This could have been used to show children that even Jesus was a child, to try to make children aware and try to help them grasp the understanding of murder and not being able to revive someone who was murdered because only Jesus can revive the dead. But no, the book was tossed to the side. Nothing was used. But yet, snippets of the Book of Enoch were used and slightly referred to in the Bible. That's one scary book, that Enoch-book.

I suppose everyone believes (for some odd reason) that Jesus only obtained supernatural powers to do miracles after the age of 29-years-old when he started His (for profit) Ministry as a "professional rabbi for pay" as you've suggested?

It’s easy to find scriptures where Jesus is called “Rabbi”. Take John 3 where Nichodemus refers to Jesus with the specific title “Rabbi”. Notice Jesus is not referred to as a teacher using the Greek word for teacher but the specific Hebrew title Rabbi...
He was called many things ie: rabbi, teacher, Lord, heretic, criminal, blasphemer, dangerous. He never called Himself a rabbi, though. Maybe you want the Son of God to claim to be a rabbi.

Also notice Jesus challenge to the Temple Leadership in Matt 26, Mark 14, and Luke 22 - “I sat daily with you teaching in the temple and you never arrested me there”. Jesus had the appropriate credentials to legally teach in the temple and was recognized by the leadership as such.
It did not mean the authorities we not taking notice of what He was doing and saying, and the crowds of people surrounding Him and calling Him the Son of God.
The authorities didn't care if Jesus spoke to the people, at first.

One did not require a, as you speculated, "special, official permission or official documentation of being a rabbi" to speak.

Also notice that while the Pharisees, Sadducees, and Hellenistis argued with him over many matters including him being of illegitimate birth - they never questioned his Rabbinic credentials... That would have been a ridiculously easy administrative way to shut him down wouldn’t it....
The authorities didn't care if His followers chose to call Him a rabbi or a teacher.
The "Son of God" statements and the "My Father in Heaven" claims of which HE was accused of uttering is where their tolerance towards Him stopped and caused the trouble and then, they did shut him down and very quickly. He only had three years in His Ministry.
Don't "kid" yourself, it's "childish" to do that.

Now compare this to The Apostles in Acts 4 when people marvelled at them because they were “untrained and uneducated men”. It’s pretty clear in that passage that the temple officials were getting complaints because they didn’t have official credentials - but they couldn’t run them off because of the “notable miracles” the Apostles were working....
The authorities must have been terrified of what He granted His Apostles to do (the miracles).
Good thing cheeky boy-Jesus was taken away as a teen or else He might have been put to death by the authorities for being a devil-possessed child of some kind.
Can you see my point?

And please, i'll respectfully ask that if/when you quote chapters to prove a point, to please include the verse numbers, also, so that everybody can verify what you claim is factual instead of more conjecture.

Let's stay on topic ,now.

Thanks,
Robbie

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think the last thing we read of Jesus as a child was when he was talking to the Pharisees in the temple and he was amazing them with his knowledge. Then, "poof!" he becomes a silent carpenter for 20 or so years?
That doesn't seem odd to any of you?

No.

The gospels tell us what's important, which is (1) his conception and birth and (2) his public ministry, death, and resurrection.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,
Let's not forget WHO decided on which books will be in the Bible at the 2nd Council of Nicaea in 787.

Neither council of Nicaea "decided on which books will be in the Bible." Your history is wildly incorrect.

Upvote 0

robbiedaug

Nov 4, 2018
Montreal
✟2,920.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Neither council of Nicaea "decided on which books will be in the Bible." Your history is wildly incorrect.

Hi Radagast,

There were many different Councils all throughout history who were involved in what we should believe and what we should read.

I mentioned the Second Council of Nicaea simply because i had learned that.
There are historians who disagree thus making what you say true.

However, my MAIN point is this:
A group of men - not God - not Jesus' apostles - decided on which books would be in the Bible centuries after Jesus was crucified.

Or am i still wildly wrong according to you and disciple Clint who agreed with your comment??

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

robbiedaug

Nov 4, 2018
Montreal
✟2,920.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi Ragast,

I think the last thing we read of Jesus as a child was when he was talking to the Pharisees in the temple and he was amazing them with his knowledge. Then, "poof!" he becomes a silent carpenter for 20 or so years?

No.

The gospels tell us what's important, which is (1) his conception and birth and (2) his public ministry, death, and resurrection.

No??
Oh, okay. Show me where Jesus is mentioned between the age of 13 -29, please. Why is He absent in the Bible during these years?
THAT is the question this thread asks.

Also, if the Gospels are so important to us, then why did the church FORBID the populace from having a Bible for 1000 years?

And, if anyone did have access to a Bible and translated it into regional languages, it was burned, and the people were punished with death. Why?

I am eager to read your response.
FINALLY, my questions will BE answered.

Thanks.
Robbie

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
However, my MAIN point is this:
A group of men - not God - not Jesus' apostles - decided on which books would be in the Bible centuries after Jesus was crucified.

Sorry, not true. Most of the NT canon was decided very early on.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Also, if the Gospels are so important to us, then why did the church FORBID the populace from having a Bible for 1000 years?

And, if anyone did have access to a Bible and translated it into regional languages, it was burned, and the people were punished with death. Why?

Well, the Bible was read out in Church. And there were English Bible translations more than 1000 years ago.

The issue of widely available Bibles really only came to the fore after printing was invented, about the same time as the Reformation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

robbiedaug

Nov 4, 2018
Montreal
✟2,920.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I blame myself for this thread being temporarily derailed by my own question asking why was the Bible withheld from the populace for the first 1000 years.

The real topic of this thread is "Where was Jesus between thee ages of 13 - 29?"

Well, the Bible was read out in Church. And there were English Bible translations more than 1000 years ago.
I think you are playing with words, now.
I asked why the Bible was withheld from the populace for the first 1000 years, and you respond by saying the Bible was available for more than the last 1000 years. Not the same thing.
And yes, the Bible was read out loud in church BUT only specific passages were read.
As matter of fact, one morning, when i was in church some years ago, i asked my priest, 'Who did Cain marry in Nod if only Adam and Eve's children were on the planet?"
He told me, "We have to have faith."

"Faith?" i thought to myself. Have 'faith' in no answer?

The issue of widely available Bibles really only came to the fore after printing was invented, about the same time as the Reformation.
Why Christians Were Denied Access to Their Bible for 1,000 Years | HuffPost
-------- -------- -------- --------
Are you referring to this reformation?:
"Reformation, also called Protestant Reformation, the religious revolution that took place in the Western church in the 16th century. Its greatest leaders undoubtedly were Martin Luther and John Calvin. Having far-reaching political, economic, and social effects, the Reformation became the basis for the founding of Protestantism, one of the three major branches of Christianity." Reformation | History, Summary, & Reformers

The Reformation took place in the 16 century but as we can see in this quote from the following article (paragraphs 3 and 4), copies were made as far back as 320 AD.
How was the Bible distributed before the printing press was invented in 1455?
"Around 320 the codex book form replaced the roll or scroll, and parchment made from the skin of sheep or goats replaced papyrus. Also around this time the Roman emperor Constantine became a Christian and authorized the production of many copies of the Scriptures. Now the making of copies of the Bible began in earnest, but it was still a huge undertaking. Nor was much translation attempted. Probably the first translation of the New Testament was into Latin in 175. By the year 600, the Gospels had been translated into only eight languages.

With this copying and translation activity, a confusing variety of Scriptures began to circulate through the early church. Finally, the Pope commissioned the great scholar Jerome to make a definitive translation into Latin, which was completed in 405. For nearly a thousand years this translation, known as the Vulgate, reigned supreme."

As we can see in the article, the Bible was able to be reprinted before the printing press.
The church could have had a "community Bible" where people could go, under supervision, to read the book at certain times.
The church could have even charged a fee for that - seeing as the church likes to/has to charge money for certain services.
They didn't do that, did they? They kept it hidden from the populace.
As a matter of fact, it was strictly forbidden for anyone but a priest to own a Bible as seen in this quote from the article's (4th paragraph):
"While many translations were made, a church council in Toulouse, France, in 1229 forbade anyone who was not a priest from owning a Bible."
Why was that, if the Bible was made to show all people "only what is important to know in the Gospels"?

The Vulgate (/ˈvʌlɡeɪt, -ɡət/) is a late-4th-century Latin translation of the Bible that became the Catholic Church's officially promulgated Latin version of the Bible during the 16th century. The translation was largely the work of Jerome, who in 382 had been commissioned by Pope Damasus I to revise the Vetus Latina ("Old Latin") Gospels then in use by the Roman Church. Jerome, on his own initiative, extended this work of revision and translation to include most of the books of the Bible, and once published, the new version was widely adopted and eventually eclipsed the Vetus Latina; so that by the 13th century, it had taken over from the former version the appellation of versio vulgata (the "version commonly used") or vulgata for short, and in Greek as βουλγάτα ("Voulgata").
Vulgate - Wikipedia
--------------------------------------------------

Note:
- Copies were being made starting from 320 AD, long before the printing press.
- Printing press started in 1439.
- The reformation was in the 16th century.

"Johannes Gutenberg, a goldsmith by profession, developed, circa 1439, a printing system by adapting existing technologies to printing purposes, as well as making inventions of his own. Printing in East Asia had been prevalent since the Tang dynasty, and in Europe, woodblock printing based on existing screw presses was common by the 14th century. Gutenberg's most important innovation was the development of hand-molded metal printing matrices, thus producing a movable type based printing press system. His newly devised hand mould made possible the precise and rapid creation of metal movable type in large quantities. Movable type had been hitherto unknown in Europe. In Europe, the two inventions, the hand mould and the printing press, together drastically reduced the cost of printing books and other documents, particularly in short print runs.

The printing press spread within several decades to over two hundred cities in a dozen European countries. By 1500, printing presses in operation throughout Western Europe had already produced more than twenty million volumes. In the 16th century, with presses spreading further afield, their output rose tenfold to an estimated 150 to 200 million copies." - Printing press - Wikipedia

Thanks,
Robbie

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The HuffPost is totally wrong on several points.

"Reformation, also called Protestant Reformation, the religious revolution that took place in the Western church in the 16th century.

The Reformation started earlier -- in the 14th century, with John Wycliffe, John Huss, etc. It didn't really succeed until Luther.

Even earlier than that were the Albigensians (who weren't really Christians). French Catholic restrictions on owning bibles were in response to them.

Also around this time the Roman emperor Constantine became a Christian and authorized the production of many copies of the Scriptures.

Hand-made copies were very expensive, though. Ordinary people never got them -- just churches and rich people. It was only with printing that widespread ownership of the Bible became a possibility.

Why was that, if the Bible was made to show all people "only what is important to know in the Gospels"?

What I said was that the descriptions of Jesus' life in the gospels only tell us what's important to know.

I was not saying that only the gospels are important.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The "Infancy Gospel of Thomas" is a 2nd century Gnostic forgery.

The early Church pointed that out repeatedly.

Because it didn't happen.

Jesus' public ministry began when he was 30.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry.. if its not written...its speculation and not His word. There are things in which I think He would say.. would make no difference.. would mean nothing. He made sure He wrote what we needed.. I am sure after this is all over..its written somewhere in heaven and everything else Jesus said and did that is not written down here we can read out.. be awesome.

• Agree
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0