Where was Adam when the serpent was talking with Eve?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,025.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Genesis 3:
1 Now the serpent was more crafty than any other beast of the field that the LORD God had made.
He knew where the weak link was. He targeted the woman directly.
He said to the woman, “Did God actually say, ‘You [plural] shall not eat of any tree in the garden’?” 2 And the woman said to the serpent, “We may eat of the fruit of the trees in the garden,
They spoke as if Adam was around but he didn't say or do anything.
3but God said, ‘You shall not eat of the fruit of the tree that is in the midst of the garden, neither shall you touch it, lest you die.’” 4 But the serpent said to the woman, “You will not surely die. 5 For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” 6 So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate, and she also gave some to her husband who was with her, and he ate.
Adam was within handy distance.
7 Then the eyes of both were opened, and they knew that they were naked. And they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves loincloths.
Even though Eve ate first, Adam followed quickly. They felt the same effect at the same time.

1 Timothy 2:
13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve; 14 and Adam was not deceived,
Adam knew better but didn't stop his wife from eating.
but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor.
Adam followed his wife and transgressed as well.

It seems to me that he was with her but didn't intercede. He failed his leadership responsibility.

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That could be that he failed his leadership responsibility. It does read as if Adam was there very close.

Eve was deceived but Adam was not. He did know better but I believe that he ate the fruit to be able to stay with Eve, he loved her. He probably thought about her facing the consequences alone.

Ever wonder what the forbidden fruit was? Most say an Apple and I have heard that it was actually similar to grapes. But I'm skeptical on that. I think they was Figs. The reason I think this is because, ...they sewed Fig leaves together to make aprons for themselves...so a fig tree was pretty close don't you think? Could be.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,025.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ever wonder what the forbidden fruit was? Most say an Apple and I have heard that it was actually similar to grapes. But I'm skeptical on that. I think they was Figs. The reason I think this is because, ...they sewed Fig leaves together to make aprons for themselves...so a fig tree was pretty close don't you think? Could be.
Interesting :)

See Was the forbidden fruit apple?.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
they sewed Fig leaves together to make aprons for themselves
They made clothing from Fig fiber the same way they make clothing today. Only the cloth from a Fig tree is more like paper and good for a day or two, so they could only use it for a ceremony. The history of clothing is difficult because clothing does not last for 20,000 years. Except in the bogs of England clothing has been preserved that long.

1. Fig Tree Fibers: Some varieties of fig trees have fibers in their bark that can be used to make textiles. The inner bark or bast fibers can be processed to produce fabric. However, it is important to note that fig tree fibers are not widely used in the modern textile industry.
  2. Dye: Fig tree leaves can be used as a natural dye.

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They made clothing from Fig fiber the same way they make clothing today. Only the cloth from a Fig tree is more like paper and good for a day or two, so they could only use it for a ceremony. The history of clothing is difficult because clothing does not last for 20,000 years. Except in the bogs of England clothing has been preserved that long.

1. Fig Tree Fibers: Some varieties of fig trees have fibers in their bark that can be used to make textiles. The inner bark or bast fibers can be processed to produce fabric. However, it is important to note that fig tree fibers are not widely used in the modern textile industry.
  2. Dye: Fig tree leaves can be used as a natural dye.

Ok so perhaps fig trees grew into an industry but I was going on what Scriputre says and it says (their first one?) was when they sewed fig leaves together. So later on after that, they discovered that the inner bark was even better for clothes. That was prolly Eve's idea to use the leaves the first time, lol!

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Ok so perhaps fig trees grew into an industry but I was going on what Scriputre says and it says (their first one?) was when they sewed fig leaves together.
That is what the translation says.
I was going on what Scriputre says and it says
The word in Hebrew עֲלֵ֣ה is translated as leaf or branch in Genesis. If you want to make clothing from a Fig tree you use the inner bark. Branches have bark so they should translate the word to branch not a leaf. The translators did not know much about how they make clothing.

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The word in Hebrew עֲלֵ֣ה is translated as leaf or branch in Genesis. If you want to make clothing from a Fig tree you use the inner bark. Branches have bark so they should translate the word to branch not a leaf. The translators did not know much about how they make clothing.

Well how much clothing did you think they had been making by then? It was at those moments of the fall that they first realized that they were naked and needed clothes! And you know humans who try to do something but don't know how yet. It's a half baked attempt at perfection. So I think it's fairly obvious that of course they used leaves the first time. Processing tree parts into fibers and all that are modern conceptions because we can assume that Adam & Eve didn't have those machines that do that stuff. Not even a sewing machine!

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Well how much clothing did you think they had been making by then?
As a general rule the further north you go the more you need clothing. Science has a lot to say about the people that lived in the Tigris Euphrates river valley 6,000 years ago. There is a lot to say today about the Euphrates river and how the river is drying up. There are new archeology sites opening up that we did not know existed.

Reactions: Divide
Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As a general rule the further north you go the more you need clothing. Science has a lot to say about the people that lived in the Tigris Euphrates river valley 6,000 years ago. There is a lot to say today about the Euphrates river and how the river is drying up. There are new archeology sites opening up that we did not know existed.

Oh, I see. Well if we go back a little bit further than those people to Creation of Man and being in Eden before the fall...We were not yet fallen so we wore our spirit on the outside of our body and we glowed like light, ok? Because we were created in God's image and likeness and this is how everyone describes Him. So we (are) shining beings of light as the Lord is. I am a spirit, I have a soul. I live in a flesh body. And when we get born again God gives us a new spirit!

After Adam & Eve sinned and fell, we stopped glowing because we had died spiritually. And so that is why suddenly Adam & Eve knew they were naked. Because they had stopped glowing which covered their nakedness.

Light is generally warm so before the fall we didn't need coats or clothing. But after we fell, suddenly, 'm naked and cold!

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Light is generally warm so before the fall we didn't need coats or clothing. But after we fell, suddenly, 'm naked and cold!
I studied Ancient History long before I studed the Bible. So I Looked at what Science tells us. I believe God gives us science to help us understand our Bible. He wants us to know what He has done and is doing in our lives. Of course Science can only go so far. Anyone that has ever been to a doctor knows how limited they are in what they can do for people. That is why we need our Bible.

This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Genesis 3:

He knew where the weak link was. He targeted the woman directly.

They spoke as if Adam was around but he didn't say or do anything.

Adam was within handy distance.

Even though Eve ate first, Adam followed quickly. They felt the same effect at the same time.

1 Timothy 2:

Adam knew better but didn't stop his wife from eating.

Adam followed his wife and transgressed as well.

It seems to me that he was with her but didn't intercede. He failed his leadership responsibility.

This is what the Roman Catholic apologist, Scott Hahn says. To draw out the parallels between the first Adam and the last Adam, if Adam was standing there listening to the conversation (or at least near enough to hear it), he should have engaged the evil one in combat, protecting his bride. Think of this: Adam, not knowing anything of warfare or fighting, and being of lesser strength than the wicked one, most likely would have died in that combat.

Isn't that what Christ did on the Cross for His Bride?

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,025.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Think of this: Adam, not knowing anything of warfare or fighting, and being of lesser strength than the wicked one, most likely would have died in that combat.
Thanks for sharing :)

Before the act of sinning, I don't think it was possible for Adam to die.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for sharing :)

Before the act of sinning, I don't think it was possible for Adam to die.
I would differ. Adam was not immortal. Scripture says that only God has immortality.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums