MoonLancer

The Moon is a reflection of the MorningStar
Aug 10, 2007
✟22,024.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
No, that was it. although not exactly expressed in those words. They said it was shut down because their was too much tension and controversy. Now one can only start GA arguments with a single nonbeliever vs numerous christian believers. Apparently they realized that GA wasn't working when their was at least more then nonbeliever scrutinizing their arguments and pointing out their fallacies. Its much easier to tag team when the other side is isolated and alone.

I think its pretty sleazy.

Upvote 0

3sigma

Jan 9, 2008
✟3,007.00
Faith
Atheist
Now one can only start GA arguments with a single nonbeliever vs numerous christian believers.
They’ve tightened the rules for EC yet again (26 Nov.), emphasising the ‘no debate’ rule. What it amounts to is that the non-Christian is not allowed to disagree with Christians or point out their errors.

Upvote 0

MoonLancer

Aug 10, 2007
✟22,024.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
They’ve tightened the rules for EC yet again (26 Nov.), emphasising the ‘no debate’ rule. What it amounts to is that the non-Christian is not allowed to disagree with Christians or point out their errors.

Its been a while since i last checked. Maybe 1 on X wasn't enough of a handy cap?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MrGoodBytes

Seeker for life, probably
Mar 4, 2006
✟22,772.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I haven't been here for a long while and I can't find general apologetics except for the archived ones. Thanks in advance.
Our beloved leeder decided to protect his flock from the wickedness of the outside world. The non-Nicene Christians will probably be next.

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, it is too bad really. I know how bad some arguments can be ...on both sides. Although I know it can be hard to keep the peace at times, it seems it would be worth it for the overall interaction of believers and unbelievers.

I mean don't we all cringe just a bit when one of our own puts forth a seriously ignorant post? That is to be expected is it not? I must say, of course, that has never been a problem for me. Right? Yes, I am right. I know that I am. :)

Upvote 0

MoonLancer

Aug 10, 2007
✟22,024.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Theirs are one or two here that I think share my view but when they make arguments, I cringe, so i know what its like. I have no doubt theirs a few here that cringe when I make an argument that also share my view (and many that don't)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nooj

Senior Veteran
Jan 9, 2005
Sydney
✟19,215.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
AU-Greens
I'm not too surprised GA was shut down. I mean, let's face it, it was a perpetual debate forum (kinda like this one used to be too) and was probably a nightmare to try to moderate. I wouldn't be surprised if it was shut down just to avoid having staff burnout.
It was supposed to be a debate forum though. And it was better than nothing...or the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] forum that they replaced it with.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟930,398.00
Faith
Atheist
It's funny though. I think ExC is almost more effective this way. Go read 3sigma's first thread about evidence. Surely, the lurker can see that the 1 atheist held them all at bay. With multiple non-Christian responders the essense of the weakness of the defense is often lost.

Upvote 0

tcampen

Veteran
Jul 14, 2003
✟18,632.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The Ethics & Morality section covers much of the same ground as GA, but I was also disappointed it was shut down. Then they moved Creation/Evolution into a sub-heading under Life Sciences, effectively burying it. It seems the areas where real discussion takes place were not appreciated.

But this is a private website where the owners can do as they please. I just wish they would choose differently. Truth does not need a censor.

Upvote 0

DrunkenWrestler

Eat your Wheaties and know your logical fallacies.
Dec 20, 2003
$1 reject store
✟10,355.00
Faith
Atheist
CF is slowly turning into RaptureReady forums with its Big Brother moderating. Whether CF realizes it or not (they probably just don't care or managed to convince themselves it's somehow rightous), they are promoting intellecutal inbreeding of bad ideas by not allowing factual errors or logical fallacies to be pointed out in the arguments of believers.

If you have faith in something, and you just so happen to be right, then you're right. But if you're wrong, no matter how much faith you have, you're still going to be wrong. Overglorified wishful thinking will just make it that much harder to let go of a belief should you find out it's wrong.

With that said, I'm offically leaving CF. Anybody want 33k blessings?

Upvote 0

sbvera13

Mar 6, 2007
✟10,490.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's funny though. I think ExC is almost more effective this way. Go read 3sigma's first thread about evidence. Surely, the lurker can see that the 1 atheist held them all at bay. With multiple non-Christian responders the essense of the weakness of the defense is often lost.

Linky? Can't find it.

Upvote 0