Where is the Evidence of a Gap in the 70 weeks of Dan 9?

Is there a "gap" in the 70 weeks of Daniel 9"

• Total voters

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I totally disagree. Thinking that, is a contradiction of much scripture, mainly; shifting the terrible Day of the Lord's wrath by fire, the Sixth Seal; to the end of the Millennium.

As 2 Peter 3:1-7 says; the Lord judged the earth by water, this time He will do it by fire, as over 100 prophesies vividly describe.
The earth will be very badly affected by this forthcoming strike by a fiery mass, but will recover and all the things prophesied before Jesus Returns, will come to pass.
you correctly characterize my claim

Rev 20:9, "and fire came down from Heaven" well after the Millennium = Rev 20:1-6

Reactions: BABerean2
Upvote 0

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,055.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

Rev 20:9, "and fire came down from Heaven" well after the Millennium = Rev 20:1-6
I understand your desire to avoid the forthcoming Lord's Day of wrath by fire, earthquakes, storms and tsunamis. It's not going to be very nice.

But you don't seem to have the assurance that the Lord will protect His own thru it all.
We are told, quite plainly, that: All who call upon the Name of the Lord will be saved. Joel 2:32, Acts 2:21. This advice does not apply to the end of the Millennium.

• Informative
Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I understand your desire to avoid the forthcoming Lord's Day of wrath by fire, earthquakes, storms and tsunamis. It's not going to be very nice.

But you don't seem to have the assurance that the Lord will protect His own thru it all.
We are told, quite plainly, that: All who call upon the Name of the Lord will be saved. Joel 2:32, Acts 2:21. This advice does not apply to the end of the Millennium.
Yes, that's an important phrase, "all who call upon the Name of the LORD will be saved"

Joel 2:32 = Acts 2:21 = Pentecost circa 30 AD, "God's spirit poured out... in these last days"
||
Acts 15:17 = Jerusalem Council circa 50 AD, "God rebuilds Davidic Kingdom... for all who call on God"
||
Romans 10:13 = circa 56 AD

In the Judgement of guilt unto Wrath of 70 AD, Christians successfully escaped to Pella and rode out the maelstrom in safety

Rodney Stark shows that Christians, who called upon God, out-survived pagans under the empire from the 1st-4th centuries AD, when, now the majority, they emerged victorious under Constantine unto Nicaea.

---

Byzantine empire = 1000-year Christian Millennium

---

In these "last moments of Earth" (Rev 20:7-9), Rev 20:9 implies that some remnant of faithful Christians -- who will presumably continue to call upon the Name of the LORD the entire time -- will survive Gog & Magog all the way through unto "fire from heaven" consumes them

A blast of plasma fire from heaven would, logically, induce storms, earthquakes and more upon planet earth, ultimately turning earth into a smoldering lake of fiery lava -- dramatic, on a planetary scale, but hardly visible from even a few light-years away:

FfH LoF.jpg

View attachment 240365

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,055.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
A blast of plasma fire from heaven would, logically, induce storms, earthquakes and more upon planet earth, ultimately turning earth into a smoldering lake of fiery lava -- dramatic, on a planetary scale, but hardly visible from even a few light-years away:
Your preterist notions and fancy pictures have nothing to do with Bible prophecy and what it tells us will happen.
Why are you here, if all you post is fiction?

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your preterist notions and fancy pictures have nothing to do with Bible prophecy and what it tells us will happen.
How do you read Revelation 20:9 ?

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟783,767.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

There are no greater fictions than futurism's fantasies.

Why are they here?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Anyone remember this event where the Disciples ask Jesus if they could make fire descend from heaven?

Luke 9:54

Seeing yet His disciples, James and John, say "Lord! Thou are willing we may be saying 'fire to descend from the heaven and to consume<355> them' even as EliYah did"? [1 King 18:37]
55 But he turned and rebuked them. 56 and they went to another village.

The 2 witnesses are shown with fire going forth and consuming:

Revelation 11:5
and if any them *willing to injure, fire is going forth out of their mouth and devouring the enemies of them.

Revelation 20:9

And they ascended on the breadth of the Land and they surround the camp of the holy-ones and the city, the having been loved.
And descended fire from the God out of the Heaven and it devoured<2719> them

1 King 18:

34 Then he said, “A second time! ” and they did it a second time. And then he said, “A third time! ” and they did it a third time. 35 So the water ran all around the altar; he even filled the trench with water.
38 Then the fire of the Lord fell and consumed the burnt offering and the wood and the stones and the dust, and licked up the water that was in the trench.

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Anyone remember this event where the Disciples ask Jesus if they could make fire descend from heaven?

Luke 9:54

Seeing yet His disciples, James and John, say "Lord! Thou are willing we may be saying 'fire to descend from the heaven and to consume<355> them' even as EliYah did"? [1 King 18:37]
55 But he turned and rebuked them. 56 and they went to another village.

The 2 witnesses are shown with fire going forth and consuming:

Revelation 11:5
and if any them *willing to injure, fire is going forth out of their mouth and devouring the enemies of them.

Revelation 20:9

And they ascended on the breadth of the Land and they surround the camp of the holy-ones and the city, the having been loved.
And descended fire from the God out of the Heaven and it devoured<2719> them

1 King 18:

34 Then he said, “A second time! ” and they did it a second time. And then he said, “A third time! ” and they did it a third time. 35 So the water ran all around the altar; he even filled the trench with water.
38 Then the fire of the Lord fell and consumed the burnt offering and the wood and the stones and the dust, and licked up the water that was in the trench.
Difference of degree not kind. Is it safe to assume that the fire from heaven? On final judgment. In revelation 21:9 is. In some sense larger and more powerful. Then the fire from Heaven during the days of Elijah?

Same same but much, much more of the same?

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are no greater fictions than futurism's fantasies.

Why are they here?
THE RABBI WHO FOUND MESSIAH - THE STORY OF YITZHAK KADURI
by Carl Gallups

Rabbi Kaduri was a maximally revered Orthodox Rabbi for nearly 110 years. He repeatedly reported prophesies about the End Times and Gog-Magog.

He reported that he received a vision from God of the Messiah who revealed his identity on 4 November 2003. He wrote an encrypted note identifying the Messiah. The note was unveiled in 2007, one year after the Rabbi's passing in January 2006.

The note appears to identify the name of the Messiah as Yehoshua = Jesus.

Immediately, the Rabbi, praised ceaselessly for a century, became instantly condemned / doubted / declared senile.

people know God's will better than the Religious authorities to whom they themselves attributed miracles for a hundred years?

For whatever it is worth, Rabbi Kaduri links the immediate present to the time of Gog-Magog and the revelation of the Messiah, who is already in modern Israel, according to Kaduri.

Kaduri linked the revelation of the Messiah to the passing of the currently comatose Ariel Sharon (!!!), who will supposedly be the last PM of Israel before the Messianic reign.

Kaduri predicted the initial revelation of the Messiah, apparently privately to Israel (Deuteronomy 18:20-22 ?), in Av 5772 = 2012.

Kaduri predicted numerous calamities and disasters (eg Gog and Magog) preceding and paving the way for the Messiah to rebuild the physical temple a rule from physical Jerusalem, seemingly similar to what @keras asserts.

While Revelation 20:7-9 = Gog and Magog EXPLICITLY, Rev 19 references birds feasting on carrion which RESEMBLES Ez 38 and Gog and Magog.

Rev 19 suggests a second coming like event, even though the actual Throne arrives in Revelation 20:10+.

The words @keras applies today / soon = Rev 19...
I would apply to today / soon = Rev 20:9+

@keras argues in support of views which I see echoed in the predictions of Rabbi Kaduri, eg calamities and disasters paving the way for the Messiah reigning from Jerusalem with a rebuilt temple to elevate Israel to undisputed preeminence.

THE RABBI WHO FOUND MESSIAH - THE STORY OF YITZHAK KADURI
by Carl Gallups

Jews now expect their Messiah (with the fiery destruction of Rome, chapter 17), Muslims now expect the Mahdi (and Christ's 2C) amidst massive conflict, and many Christians now except the Messiah's second coming also. The stars are aligning, so to speak, in the sense of most of the Abrahamic world is evidently expecting a "Messianic coming" event.

Yet, could you not apply all of the exact same events, to the era of Gog and Magog ending in Final Judgement?

Armageddon Gog Magog motifs --> Revelation 20:7-9
second coming motifs --> Revelation 20:10+​

?

if so, nobody is flat out wrong, everyone has basically the right idea and sense of things... The only nuance is that we might be on the verge of Rev 20:9-10, instead of Rev 20:1 (= Constantine and the Council of NICEA = "Council of VICTORY")

NB: Some followers of Kaduri, because of his declaration, became (Jewish Messianic) Christians. According to one pupil, Rabbi Kaduri privately preached Jesus as Messiah, yet only quietly for fear of retributions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What is the signficance of the 2 Greek words for Jerusalem in NT, and 2 different Hebrew words in the OT?
Only Ezra and Daniel use Yruwshalem<3390>

[I actually just ran across that when I was harmonizing Luke's Gospel to Revelation and 70ad Jerusalem]
LUKE CHAPTERS 19, 21, 23 AND REVELATION "DESTRUCTION OF JERUSALEM 70AD"
Before I continue with harmonizing Luke's gospel with Revelation, I have found there are 2 different Greek words used for Jerusalem in the NT.
2414. Hiero-soluma
hee-er-os-ol'-oo-mah of Hebrew origin (3389); Hierosolyma (i.e. Jerushalaim},
2419. Hierou-salem hee-er-oo-sal-ame' of Hebrew origin (3389); Hierusalem (i.e. Jerushalem),
Just as in the NT, there are also 2 different Hebrew words for Jerusalem in the OT
[Now that we got the 2 Jerusalems taken care, time to continue on with Luke and Revelation]

Strong's Concordance with Hebrew and Greek Lexicon

2 Jerusalems in the OT

3389 Yruwshalaim yer-oo-shaw-lah'-im rarely Yruwshalayim {yer-oo- shaw-lah'-yim};
a dual (in allusion to its two main hills (the true pointing, at least of the former reading, seems to be that of 3390));
occurs 821 times in 772 verses in the NKJV.

1st time used:

Joshua 10:1

Now it came to pass when Adoni-Zedek king of Yruwshalaim<3389> heard how Joshua had taken Ai and had utterly destroyed it—as he had done to Jericho and its king, so he had done to Ai and its king—and how the inhabitants of Gibeon had made peace with Israel and were among them,

Last time used

Malachi 3:4

Then shall the offering of Judah and Yruwshalaim<3389> be pleasant unto the LORD, as in the days of old, and as in former years.

3390 Yruwshalem yer-oo-shaw-lame' (Chald)
Jerusalem = "teaching of peace" the chief city of Palestine and capital of the united kingdom and the nation of Judah after the split
which occurs 26 times in 25 verses

Used only in Ezra [4 chapters, 22 verses] and Daniel [3 chapters 3 verses]

Ezra 4:8
Rehum[fn] the commander and Shimshai the scribe wrote a letter against Yruwshalem<3390> to King Artaxerxes in this fashion:

Daniel 6:10
Now when Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went home. And in his upper room, with his windows open toward Yruwshalem<3390>, he knelt down on his knees three times that day, and prayed and gave thanks before his God, as was his custom since early days.

Last edited:
Reactions: joyshirley
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What host is Daniel 8:13 talking about?

The same word used for "trampled<4823> in Daniel is also used for 1st century Jerusalem in Luke 21 and Revelation 11? At least it appears to be...........

Daniel 8:13
Then I heard a holy one speaking; and another holy one said to that certain one who was speaking, “How long will the vision be, concerning the daily sacrifices and the transgression of desolation,
the giving of both the sanctuary<6944> and the host to be trampled<4823> underfoot?”

Luke 21:
20 Whenever yet ye may be seeing the Jerusalem surrounded<2124> by war-troops<4760>,
24 And they will fall by the edge of the sword, and will be led captive into all the nations;
and Jerusalem will be trampled<3961> by the Nations, until the times of the Nations are fulfilled.

Revelation 11:
1 And was given to me a reed like-as rod saying "rouse! and measure! the Sanctuary of the God and the Altar[Golden Altar] and those worshiping in it
2 and the Court/fold[water lavar/Altar of Sacrifice], outside the Sanctuary, be Casting-Out!<1544> out-side, and no it thou should be measuring, that it was given to the Nations.
And the holy City they shall be trampling<3961> forty two months months.

Revelation 14:20
And the winepress was trampled<3961> outside the City,
and blood came out of the winepress, up to the horses’ bridles, for one thousand six hundred furlongs
Revelation 19:15
Now out of His mouth goes a sharp[fn] sword, that with it He should strike the nations.
And He Himself will shepher them with a rod of iron.
He Himself treads<3961> the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have run into something I haven't noticed before .
Has anyone noticed that there are 2 different greek and hebrew words for Jerusalems mentioned in the NT and OT? I am a little perplexed over this.

New Testament:

2414. Hierosoluma
of Hebrew origin (3389); Hierosolyma (i.e. Jerushalaim},
the capitol of Palestine:--Jerusalem. Compare 2419.
Strong's Number G2414 matches the Greek (Hierosolyma),
which occurs 59 times in 59 verses

2419. Hierousalem of Hebrew origin (3389); Hierusalem (i.e. Jerushalem),
the capitol of Palestine:--Jerusalem. Compare 2414.
Strong's Number G2419 matches the Greek (Ierousalēm),
which occurs 83 times in 80 verses

Daniel and Ezra 3390 Yruwshalem
Would that represent one of the Jerusalems in the NT?

Old Testament

3390 Yruwshalem (Chald)
Jerusalem = "teaching of peace" the chief city of Palestine and capital of the united kingdom and the nation of Judah after the split
Strong's Number H3390 matches the Hebrew יְרוּשְׁלֵם (Yĕruwshalem (Chald)),

Used only in Ezra[4 chapters, 22 verses] and Daniel [3 chapters 3 verses]

Rehum[fn] the commander and Shimshai the scribe wrote a letter against Yruwshalem<3390> to King Artaxerxes in this fashion:

Now when Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went home. And in his upper room, with his windows open toward Yruwshalem<3390>, he knelt down on his knees three times that day, and prayed and gave thanks before his God, as was his custom since early days

3389 Yruwshalaim rarely Yruwshalayim {yer-oo- shaw-lah'-yim};
a dual (in allusion to its two main hills (the true pointing, at least of the former reading, seems to be that of 3390)); probably from (the passive participle of) 3384 and 7999; founded peaceful; Jerushalaim or Jerushalem,
the capital city of Palestine:--Jerusalem. "jerusalem"

Before I continue with harmonizing Luke's gospel with Revelation, I have found there are 2 different Greek words used for Jerusalem in the NT.

Jerusalem<2414> is primarily used in Acts, Matt and John

2414. Hierosoluma
hee-er-os-ol'-oo-mah of Hebrew origin (3389); Hierosolyma (i.e. Jerushalaim},
the capitol of Palestine:--Jerusalem. Compare 2419.
Strong's Number G2414 matches the Greek (Hierosolyma),
which occurs 59 times in 59 verses

10 chapters in Acts----- 18 verses
1, 8, 11, 13, 18, 20, 21, 25, 26, 28,
8 chapters in Matt------- 12 verses
2, 3, 4, 5, 15, 16, 20, 21
7 chapters in John------- 12 verses
1, 2, 4, 5, 10, 11,12
5 chapters in Mark------- 9 verses
3, 7, 10, 11, 15
4 chapters in Luke-------- 5 verses
2, 18,19,23
2 chapters in Galatians--- 3 verses
1 and 2
============================

The other Jerusalem<2414> is primarily used in Luke and Acts,
and is the one used for the "New Jerusalem" in Revelation and "above and heavenly" in Galatians and Hebrews

2419. Hierousalem hee-er-oo-sal-ame' of Hebrew origin (3389); Hierusalem (i.e. Jerushalem),
the capitol of Palestine:--Jerusalem. Compare 2414.
Strong's Number G2419 matches the Greek (Ierousalēm),
which occurs 83 times in 80 verses

26 chapters Luke-------- 27 verses
25 chapters Acts-------- 40 verses
2 chapters Revelation---- 3 verses
1 chapter Matthew------- 1 verses
1 chapter Mark------------1 verses
1 chapter Romans--------4 verses
1 chapter 1 Corin--------- 1 verse
1 chapter Galatians------ 2 verses
1 chapter Hebrews------ 1 verse
0 chapters for John------ 0

Galatians 4:26
and the Jerusalem<2419> above is the free-woman, which is mother of us all,

Hebrews 12:22
But ye came to Mount Zion, and to a City of the living God, to the Heavenly Jerusalem<2419>, and to myriads of Messengers,

Revelation 3:12
“He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go out no more. I will write on him the name of My God and the name of the city of My God, the New Jerusalem<2419>, which comes down out of heaven from My God. And I will write on him My new name.

Revelation 21:2
2 Then I, John,[fn] saw the holy city, New Jerusalem<2419>, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

10 And he carried me away in the Spirit to a great and high mountain, and showed me the great city, the holy[fn] Jerusalem<2419>, descending out of heaven from God,

Just as in the NT, there are also 2 different Hebrew words for Jerusalem in the OT
[Now that we got the 2 Jerusalems taken care, time to continue on with Luke and Revelation]
2 Jerusalems in the OT

3389 Yruwshalaim yer-oo-shaw-lah'-im rarely Yruwshalayim {yer-oo- shaw-lah'-yim};
a dual (in allusion to its two main hills (the true pointing, at least of the former reading, seems to be that of 3390)); probably from (the passive participle of) 3384 and 7999; founded peaceful; Jerushalaim or Jerushalem,
the capital city of Palestine:--Jerusalem. "jerusalem"

1st time used:

Now it came to pass when Adoni-Zedek king of Yruwshalaim<3389> heard how Joshua had taken Ai and had utterly destroyed it—as he had done to Jericho and its king, so he had done to Ai and its king—and how the inhabitants of Gibeon had made peace with Israel and were among them,

Last time used

Then shall the offering of Judah and Yruwshalaim<3389> be pleasant unto the LORD, as in the days of old, and as in former years.

3390 Yruwshalem (Chald)
Strong's Number H3390 matches the Hebrew יְרוּשְׁלֵם (Yĕruwshalem (Chald)),

Used only in Ezra[4 chapters, 22 verses] and Daniel [3 chapters 3 verses]

Now when Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went home. And in his upper room, with his windows open toward Yruwshalem<3390>, he knelt down on his knees three times that day, and prayed and gave thanks before his God, as was his custom since early days.

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What is the signficance of the 2 Greek words for Jerusalem in NT, and 2 different Hebrew words in the OT?
Only Ezra and Daniel use Yruwshalem<3390>

[I actually just ran across that when I was harmonizing Luke's Gospel to Revelation and 70ad Jerusalem]

Strong's Concordance with Hebrew and Greek Lexicon

2 Jerusalems in the OT

a dual (in allusion to its two main hills (the true pointing, at least of the former reading, seems to be that of 3390));

1st time used:

Last time used

3390 Yruwshalem yer-oo-shaw-lame' (Chald)

Used only in Ezra [4 chapters, 22 verses] and Daniel [3 chapters 3 verses]

inexpertly, the second Hebrew word is younger and simpler, having one fewer syllables, all of which may suggest it is a newer, post exilic, derived term

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
LittleLambofJesus said:
inexpertly, the second Hebrew word is younger and simpler, having one fewer syllables, all of which may suggest it is a newer, post exilic, derived term
Thanks.
I couldn't find much info on it..........

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
jgr said:
Here's the genetic reality of your "bloodline", ubiquitous within the whole of humanity, acknowledged and applauded by the Jewish religiocultural community itself.....
Lol, ok, believe what you want.

My GOd keeps his promises, especially when he calls them eternal promises, if he does not, he is not trustworthy.
You want to follow an untrustworthy God, feel free.

Ps, all your giving me is words of men, again, i do not follow men.
Well, that's really edifying.............

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks.
I couldn't find much info on it..........

offer that the continual fasting of Rabbi Tzadok for 40 years from 30-70ad, as well as the continual prayers of saint James the just in the temple until his knees were as a camels...

may have paused the Daniel countdown clock?

Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The debates on subjects like this are endless, because no one can prove that their view is the correct one. And even when they do prove it, many others will simply refuse to believe. But some of the statements here range from highly questionable to provably false.

First, whenever anyone begins to cite exact dates for when ancient events took place, that person is only proving his or her ignorance. For the only ancient dates that can be determined with any real certainty are the very few that can be specifically tied to eclipses, whose exact dates can be calculated. And, in actual fact, there are very few ancient events for which historical records specifically refer to eclipses. The problem, which is well known to all that have, like myself, spent any significant amount of time actually studying ancient documents, is that they simply do not agree with each other. an event that is stated as having taken place at one time in one ancient document is often stated to have taken place at a different time in another ancient document. We do indeed know approximately when many ancient events took place. but tying most of them to a specific year is well nigh impossible. So any calculations based on when specific ancient events took place is speculative at best.

But other statements made in this thread are provably uncorrect.
I also recommend that you consult the record of the historical true Church, which for over 1,800 years was all but unanimous in its recognition of the historical fulfillment of the 70th week.

70th week postponement, aka decapitation, is a modernist fallacy unknown before the 19th century.

For your edification, here is the testimony of one of the early defenders of the faith.

Clement of Alexandria (150 - 215 AD)

From the captivity at Babylon, which took place in the time of Jeremiah the prophet, was fulfilled what was spoken by Daniel the prophet as follows: "Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people, and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to seal sins, and to wipe out and make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal the vision and the prophet, and to anoint the Holy of Holies. Know therefore, and understand, that from the going forth of the word commanding an answer to be given, and Jerusalem to be built, to Christ the Prince, are seven weeks and sixty-two weeks; and the street shall be again built, and the wall; and the times shall be expended. And after the sixty-two weeks the anointing shall be overthrown, and judgment shall not be in him; and he shall destroy the city and the sanctuary along with the coming Prince. And they shall be destroyed in a flood, and to the end of the war shall be cut off by: desolations. And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week; and in the middle of the week the sacrifice and oblation shall be taken away; and in the holy place shall be the abomination of desolations, and until the consummation of time shall the consummation be assigned for desolation. And in the midst of the week shall he make the incense of sacrifice cease, and of the wing of destruction, even till the consummation, like the destruction of the oblation." That the temple accordingly was built in seven weeks, is evident; for it is written in Esdras. And thus Christ became King of the Jews, reigning in Jerusalem in the fulfilment of the seven weeks. And in the sixty and two weeks the whole of Judaea was quiet, and without wars. And Christ our Lord, "the Holy of Holies," having come and fulfilled the vision and the prophecy, was anointed in His flesh by the Holy Spirit of His Father.

In those "sixty and two weeks," as the prophet said, and "in the one week," was He Lord. The half of the week Nero held sway, and in the holy city Jerusalem placed the abomination; and in the half of the week he was taken away, and Otho, and Galba, and Vitellius. And Vespasian rose to the supreme power, and destroyed Jerusalem, and desolated the holy place. And that such are the facts of the case, is clear to him that is able to understand, as the prophet said.

The Stromata, or Miscellanies
Book I Chapter XXI

Actually, the majority of the early church writers who addressed this question put the fulfillment of the seventieth week far into their own futures.

The oldest Christian document that addresses this question is "Against Heresies," by Irenaeus, which is thought to have been written between 186 and 188 A.D., as opposed to the 198-203 A>D. supposed date for the Stromata. And soon after the Stromate was composed, Hippolytus wrote the very oldest Christian commentary on scripture which has survived to the present day, which was a commentary on Daniel which is believed to have been written between 203 and 211 A.D. Like Irenaeus, Hippolytus very clearly put the fulfillment of the seventieth week far into his own future.

But in addition to being provably incorrect, this argument is inappropriate. For who taught any particular interpretation of scripture, or when it was first taught, or how many teachers taught it, are all irrelevant points. the only thing that counts is what the Bible actually says. Everything contrary to that is error, regardless of how long it has been taught, or how many people taught it.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But in addition to being provably incorrect, this argument is inappropriate. For who taught any particular interpretation of scripture, or when it was first taught, or how many teachers taught it, are all irrelevant points. the only thing that counts is what the Bible actually says. Everything contrary to that is error, regardless of how long it has been taught, or how many people taught it.

Which interpretation matches up with the promise of the New Covenant found in Jeremiah 31:31-34?

Should we believe the angel Gabriel arrived to give Daniel the timeline of the Messiah who would fulfill the New Covenant, and then the angel forgot to even mention the New Covenant?

Daniel Chapter 9: Dr. Kelly Varner

Upvote 0

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,055.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The evidence of a gap between the end of the 69th 'week' = 7 years period, which was the death of Jesus, until now; is the fact that nearly 2000 years have passed and what is prophesied to happen in the last 'week', has simply not yet occurred.

Jesus DID prophesy this 2000 year gap; in Luke 13:32....two 'days' then on the third 'day', I shall attain My reward. His Millennium reign. [a day to God and Jesus in heaven is the same as 1000 years on earth] Proved by Hosea 6:2

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟487,658.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
It looks like the 70 weeks of Daniel is a popular topic in Christianity today, so I thought I would create one and include a poll. I also am interested in discussing this.

Translations can vary so I will use this one:

YLT)
Daniel 9:
24 ‘Sevens, seventy are determined for thy people, and for thy holy city, to shut up the transgression, and to seal up sins, and to cover iniquity, and to bring in righteousness age-during, and to seal up vision and prophet, and to anoint the holy of holies.
25 And thou dost know, and dost consider wisely, from the going forth of the word to restore and to build Jerusalem till Messiah the Leader [is] seven weeks, and sixty and two weeks: the broad place hath been built again, and the rampart, even in the distress of the times.
26 And after the sixty and two weeks, cut off is Messiah, and the city and the holy place are not his, the Leader who hath come doth destroy the people; and its end [is] with a flood, and till the end [is] war, determined [are] desolations.
27 And he hath strengthened a covenant with many — one week, and [in] the midst of the week he causeth sacrifice and present to cease, and by the wing of abominations he is making desolate, even till the consummation, and that which is determined is poured on the desolate one.’

I am not sure if I have participated on this thread before or not but now looking at the last few posts the tread seems to be off topic, so I'll try and bring it back.

Preterism and Futurism were both gimmicks created by Jesuit Priests during the council of Trent (which have since evolved) to elude the accusations of the Papacy being the anti-Christ; both preterism and Futurism place the RCC out side the time frame of the Beasts etc.

Futurism requires a gap after the 69th week not supported by scripture.

However there is a gap, not specifically mentioned, between the comings of Christ; from when He is cut off until He returns.

Upvote 0