Where is the Curve, Flat-Earthers?

46AND2

Forty six and two are just ahead of me...
Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I should point out something significant:

We observe the sun, twice a year, trace a path from due east to due west along the equator. It forms a straight line.

What this means is that EVERY SINGLE flat earth model that depicts the earth's equator as a circle must be wrong, right off the bat. There are no lines in a circle. It is mathematically impossible for us to observe what we do, if the equator is depicted as it is on...well, pretty much every flat earth model I've ever seen.

Upvote 0

46AND2

Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"Distances: The biggest problem are distances on the flat earth. Only distances exactly north-south are correct. All other distances are wrong, especially south of the equator, eg. Australia is 2.5 times too wide on the flat earth. Only if we deform the flat earth until it is a globe we can get all distances right."

LOL!

The whole "Problems" section is like this. It lists all the problems with the model and then states that the problem is solved with the heliocentric globe earth model. I think this guy created this model in an honest attempt to make a working FE model to show that there isn't one.

That's why they never include a scale on their map.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟239,727.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
That's why they never include a scale on their map.
I was taught in Geography classes that a map without a scale is not a map. Obviously not an absolute truth, but more a reminder to meet certain standards of cartography, or be written off as a cartoonist. (Nothing against cartoonists, they used to draw great sea monsters towards the edge of a flat Earth.)

• Informative
Reactions: pitabread
Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
I was taught in Geography classes that a map without a scale is not a map. Obviously not an absolute truth, but more a reminder to meet certain standards of cartography, or be written off as a cartoonist. (Nothing against cartoonists, they used to draw great sea monsters towards the edge of a flat Earth.)
I hope they also taught you in Geography classes that on each type of map, the validity of the scale has to be explained.

There is no - repeat: NO! - length-preserving projection from a sphere to a plane. You can get projections that are length-preserving for certain lines, but not overall.

This fact alone is a surefire hint that the earth is not flat.

Upvote 0

lordjeff

Nov 6, 2019
Cromwell
✟16,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If one lives on the equator it is always 12 hours of sunlight & 12 of night. For comparison, consider the planet Mercury-it's year arrives before its day. In fact the sun just moves from a point just above the horizon to its corresponding point across.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟239,727.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I hope they also taught you in Geography classes that on each type of map, the validity of the scale has to be explained.
Mercator, Mollweide (?) equal area, Lambert conical, Azimuthal, Cylindrical. The whole shebang.

Try adding in the complications of a third dimension when you are calculating anti-collision trajectories for for drilling a well in a field laced with other wells. :)

Reactions: Freodin
Upvote 0

46AND2

Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is the strange thing about cartography how to design a map that reflects proper geometry.

It's only strange when you try to map a sphere on a flat surface. Works fine on a globe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums