Netanya
✟13,908.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Demas was a born again Son of God, who became so under the Ministry of the Apostle Paul.
Later, he backslid, left Paul, and the bible does not record what happened to him afterwards.

Here is what happened...

"when we were yet UNGODLY, Christ died for us..."

"to You that WORKETH NOT< but believeth on GOD who JUSTIFIES THE UNGODLY"....."your FAITH is COUNTED as GOD's Righteousness". This is the "Gift of Righteousness".

So, when God saved us, we were dead in sin, and unholy.

The Blood Atonement does not make later exceptions, once it has eternally redeemed a living Soul by the process of "new birth".

We are put into the Spirit of God, by "spiritual birth", not by performance. We the born again have become an "heir of God," and a "joint Heir of Jesus", not because we are good or bad, but because of Jesus's SACRIFICE of BLOOD and Death.

-----

Reader, lets say you are born and you have a mother who birthed you into this world. Now,... go and rob banks, kill children, drink blood, worship Satan, and, then kill your parents.

So....did any of that behavior stop you from .. 1.) Being Born? 2.) Being your mother's Son?

And why? Its because your birth is not OF YOU.......so, what you do later with your LIFE/Behavior can't undo your BIRTH or your Status as "her son"

Likewise, your "new birth" "in Christ", is NOT of you. And you are IN God's family, NOT because of you.

You are a SON of GOD, by = NEW BIRTH thru CHRIST......... and so, you have the rest of your life to determine if you are a good Son of God or a very pathetic Son of God, but, a SON YOU WILL REMAIN, says the Blood Atonement.

Here is a final thought for you... Reader

When God saved you, that day you were born again....> He knew already every sin you will commit AFTER you are born again, right until the day you die.....and YET< .. God saved you anyway. Notice that?

Reader, God saved you while KNOWING you would SIN MORE after He did........and He SAVED YOU ANYWAY.

And its the same with DEMAS and all the other Born Again.

"not by works of righteousness that we have done, but according to GOD'S MERCY, = HE SAVED US"..

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Demas was a born again Son of God, who became so under the Ministry of the Apostle Paul.
Later, he backslid, left Paul, and the bible does not record what happened to him afterwards.

Here is what happened...

"to You that WORKETH NOT< but believeth on GOD who JUSTIFIES THE UNGODLY"....."your FAITH is COUNTED as GOD's Righteousness". This is the "Gift of Righteousness".

The Blood Atonement does not make later exceptions, once it has eternally redeemed a living Soul by the process of "new birth".

We are put into the Spirit of God, by "spiritual birth", not by performance. We the born again have become an "heir of God," and a "joint Heir of Jesus", not because we are good or bad, but because of Jesus's SACRIFICE of BLOOD and Death.

-----

Reader, lets say you are born and you have a mother who birthed you into this world. Now,... go and rob banks, kill children, drink blood, worship Satan, and, then kill your parents.

So....did any of that behavior stop you from .. 1.) Being Born? 2.) Being your mother's Son?

And why? Its because your birth is not OF YOU.......so, what you do later with your LIFE/Behavior can't undo your BIRTH or your Status as "her son"

Likewise, your "new birth" "in Christ", is NOT of you. And you are IN God's family, NOT because of you.

You are a SON of GOD, by = NEW BIRTH thru CHRIST......... and so, you have the rest of your life to determine if you are a good Son of God or a very pathetic Son of God, but, a SON YOU WILL REMAIN, says the Blood Atonement.

Here is a final thought for you... Reader

When God saved you, that day you were born again....> He knew already every sin you will commit AFTER you are born again, right until the day you die.....and YET< .. God saved you anyway. Notice that?

Reader, God saved you while KNOWING you would SIN MORE after He did........and He SAVED YOU ANYWAY.

"not by works of righteousness that we have done, but according to GOD'S MERCY, = HE SAVED US"..
I do indeed agree that a true believer is never lost; sometimes a true believer can be marred by a lack of obedience. Sometimes also in another category, people who seemed to be believers in the past but show no evidence of any spiritual life now might actually be apostates rather than backsliders; the Lord alone knows the heart.

Upvote 0

Behold

Apr 5, 2020
Netanya
✟13,908.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do indeed agree that a true believer is never lost; sometimes a true believer can be marred by a lack of obedience. Sometimes also in another category, people who seemed to be believers in the past but show no evidence of any spiritual life now might actually be apostates rather than backsliders; the Lord alone knows the heart.

Hello, Faroukfarouk,

thx for your reply,

Here is the best way to teach a Legalist or a New Christian how to understand WHY Demas is now in Heaven.

-----
Lets say you are born and you have a mother who birthed you into this world. Now,... go and rob banks, kill children, drink blood, worship Satan, and, then kill your parents.

So....did any of that behavior stop you from .. 1. Being Born? 2. Being your mother's Son?

Here is a final thought for you...

Zion, God saved you while KNOWING you would SIN MORE after He did........and He SAVED YOU ANYWAY.

B

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Jews thought they were born into their salvation, so were all Jews saved?

As a born-again Christian we have a birthright to heaven and are not there right now. This birthright cannot be lost, stolen or even taken back, but like Esau the Hebrew writer tells us we can give it up.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
As for the historical Demas, there isn't a whole lot to go on apparently. The only late attestation comes from a collection of traditions and legends involving Paul known as the Acts of Paul and Thecla, in which Demas has apparently turned away from Paul and actively opposed him and his apostolic ministry.

CHURCH FATHERS: The Acts of Paul and Thecla

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Behold

Apr 5, 2020
Netanya
✟13,908.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Jews thought they were born into their salvation, so were all Jews saved?

As a born-again Christian we have a birthright to heaven and are not there right now. This birthright cannot be lost, stolen or even taken back, but like Esau the Hebrew writer tells us we can give it up.

Are all Jews saved if they think they are?
Not according to the New Testament Blood Atonement.

Also, we are in heaven right now..... Have you a NT?
Read where the born again are "seated in heavenly places , IN CHRIST"....and that is right now.
Its in Ephesians. Study to show yourself approved.
You have not understood that you are NOT YOUR BODY.
You are a spiritual being, and if you are saved then you are "IN CHRIST< and in eternal spiritual union with God and Christ.
Never believe that where your body is located is the only place you exist, if you are born again.

Upvote 0

Behold

Apr 5, 2020
Netanya
✟13,908.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As for the historical Demas, there isn't a whole lot to go on apparently. The only late attestation comes from a collection of traditions and legends involving Paul known as the Acts of Paul and Thecla, in which Demas has apparently turned away from Paul and actively opposed him and his apostolic ministry.

CHURCH FATHERS: The Acts of Paul and Thecla

-CryptoLutheran

thank you for that information.
it could well be that after Demas backslid, its a logical conclusion that he then fell from grace and became a life long Legalist (heretic) who taught that you have to keep yourself saved.
If that is the case, then he would certainly have opposed Paul as well as Jude, regarding their teaching of Justification by Faith Alone.
In this case, if that is true of Demas, then he is a perfect representation of the 1st Pope, as now he is teaching what the Pope teaches...(which Peter never taught past Act 10) . that Salvation is a blend, a hybrid, its one part Faith, and one part self effort, or as Paul defines this ...... Galatians 1:8

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...We the born again have become an "heir of God," and a "joint Heir of Jesus", not because we are good or bad, but because of Jesus's SACRIFICE of BLOOD and Death.

I think that is not really what the Bible tells, because of these scriptures:

….That which is born of the flesh is flesh. That which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Don't marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born anew.'
John 3:3-7

But as many as received him, to them he gave the right to become God's children, to those who believe in his name: who were born not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
John 1:12-13

It is the spirit who gives life. The flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and are life.
John 6:63

"For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel. After those days," says the Lord; "I will put my laws into their mind, I will also write them on their heart. I will be to them a God, And they will be to me a people. They will not teach every man his fellow citizen, Every man his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord,' For all will know me, From the least of them to the greatest of them. For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness. I will remember their sins and lawless deeds no more."
Hebrews 8:10-12 (Jeremiah 31:31-34)

He who does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. To this end the Son of God was revealed, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever is born of God doesn't commit sin, because his seed remains in him; and he can't sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the devil. Whoever doesn't do righteousness is not of God, neither is he who doesn't love his brother.
1 John 3:7-10

If person is not righteous and does not do righteousness, he is not born of God.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
thank you for that information.
it could well be that after Demas backslid, its a logical conclusion that he then fell from grace and became a life long Legalist (heretic) who taught that you have to keep yourself saved.
If that is the case, then he would certainly have opposed Paul as well as Jude, regarding their teaching of Justification by Faith Alone.
In this case, if that is true of Demas, then he is a perfect representation of the 1st Pope, as now he is teaching what the Pope teaches...(which Peter never taught past Act 10) . that Salvation is a blend, a hybrid, its one part Faith, and one part self effort, or as Paul defines this ...... Galatians 1:8

When you say "first pope" who are you talking about? Also, how are you defining "pope"?

The use of the word "pope" to refer to the bishop of Rome would then make St. Peter the first pope. If you mean, instead, the idea of "the papacy" as an institution, especially as an institution with all the particular claims of power spiritual and temporal that we see at the end of the middle ages, that's a lot more complicated. It didn't just happen one day, the growth of the power and primacy of the Roman bishop was something that occurred over time. I don't even know if, by that understanding, there even is such a thing as "the first pope".

As far as theology goes, it's probably important to understand that when we look at the patristic record there are diverse views--the fathers are not a monolith. It's why Christians from many stripes, looking back on the fathers, can find support for their positions.

As a Lutheran I obviously believe that the interpretations of Scripture, and certain views which effectively conflate Law and Gospel and put forward a system of salvation by way of human effort is in error; but as a student of history I also understand that those ancients with whom I might have certain disagreements with are part of the same apostolic tradition, the same faith--my faith--as the apostles and as the Scriptures bear witness. That's important because otherwise we start to concoct all kinds of nonsense, such as thinking that the Church somehow fell into apostasy and needed some sort of reboot--a view which is directly contradicted by Jesus Christ Himself and by a plain reading of history. Restorationism is hogwash.

That Evangelical Reformation of the 16th century, initiated under Martin Luther, wasn't a restoration; but a reform; not a break from, but a healing of the troubles, abuses, and confusion of the late middle ages. The Western Catholic Church was in a problematic place, both laity and clergy were lacking proper theological education, it is precisely this place of widespread confusion and abuse that allowed men like Johann Tetzel to go around peddling indulgences throughout Saxony, and Archbishop Albrecht of Mainz to not only tolerate it, but seemingly encourage it.

The Reformation, the promoting and faithful preaching of the Gospel, is not an attack against the Holy Catholic Church which Christ founded; it is not an attack against Christ's ministers, the bishops of His Church, nor is it even an attack against the rightful successor of St. Peter in Rome; as many wrongly believe. The Pope is the rightful successor to St. Peter in Rome; the accumulative power, prestige, and the ideas of primacy which came to define the papacy as a medieval institution were problematic, but only because they were used and misused against the Holy Church and against the Holy and Precious Gospel. Hence the necessity of reform.

-CryptoLutheran

• Useful
Reactions: Amittai
Upvote 0

Behold

Apr 5, 2020
Netanya
✟13,908.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If person is not righteous and does not do righteousness, he is not born of God.

Do you actually believe that you can cause yourself to be righteous?
By doing what?
You are a sinner. You have SINNED. You enjoyed it when you did it.
So, you can't be righteous, and have done that..

So, God came down here, and died on a Cross to give you HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS, as "the gift of righteousness".
That is SALVATION, that is THE GRACE OF GOD.
Its God making you righteous, based NOT ON YOU< but ONLY ON CHRIST"S BLOOD.
"its not by your works, but according to God's mercy ALONE that you are made righteous, saved, etc".

So, if Demas had been made righteous by the Blood of Christ, then He was born again.
And if later he was backslid, He was still born again.
Same as you, if you are born again.

Your lifestyle is not why you are accepted by God.
He only accepts you, me, Demas, all readers here, because of what CHRIST DID to make you acceptable to God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you actually believe that you can cause yourself to be righteous?

I don’t claim to be righteous. And I don’t claim person can cause himself to be righteous. I just believe what the Bible tells, person must be righteous to get eternal life, and if person is righteous, it will come visible in his works.

Righteousness, wisdom of the just, is like right understanding. Person can get that from the words Jesus told. And when person has that right understanding, he does right actions.

Upvote 0

Behold

Apr 5, 2020
Netanya
✟13,908.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don’t claim to be righteous. And I don’t claim person can cause himself to be righteous. I just believe what the Bible tells, person must be righteous to get eternal life, and if person is righteous, it will come visible in his works.

Righteousness, wisdom of the just, is like right understanding. Person can get that from the words Jesus told. And when person has that right understanding, he does right actions.

Listen.

God came to earth to die on The Cross as Jesus to solve a problem that we all have who are born.
We dont have any righteousness.
So, God as Christ on The Cross, died to give us HIS.
"The GIFT OF RIGHTEOUSNESS". Romans 5:17
So, what happens when you are born again?
Jesus said you must be BORN AGAIN.... John 3:7
What happens if you do THAT?
God gives you HIS righteousness as "the Gift of Righteousness".
So, if you are saved.....which means you are born again....then you HAVE God's Righteousness.
That's how God sees you.
So, can you by living a good life, equal that?....
You dont have to try......because you already HAVE "the Gift of Righteousness".

NOW< go and live the most holy life you can, because you already have the Righteousness of Christ.
This FREES YOU to live HOLY.

See, people have this idea that to live holy, you have to try to BE holy, but thats a fail. As you are already a sinner. So, how can a sinner, trying to live holy, be holy. ?
A.) YOU CAN'T.

So, God gave you his holiness. This is SALVATION.....This is BEING SAVED....>"Justification by FAITH".

NOW = Go and live that beautiful lifestyle, because you are already HOLY....if you are born again..... This gives you the power to walk in the Grace of God, and you will find that by understanding this "Grace of God", as "the gift of Righteousness"..... you will be free'd to live more holy then you have ever lived before, or ever could have before, when you were trying to earn or keep God's acceptance, when you never could.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, what happens when you are born again?

Bible tells that when person is born of God, he is righteous.

He who does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. To this end the Son of God was revealed, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever is born of God doesn't commit sin, because his seed remains in him; and he can't sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the devil. Whoever doesn't do righteousness is not of God, neither is he who doesn't love his brother.
1 John 3:7-10

But, you don’t seem to like what is said in that. So, please explain what do you think righteous means? I have understood it means right understanding, or wisdom of the just.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Here is what happened...

The Blood Atonement does not make later exceptions, once it has eternally redeemed a living Soul

ok .. but the following is not true.

" eternally redeemed a living Soul by the process of new birth".

the "new birth" is not the atonement.

It is a result of the "atoning sacrifice made for OUR sins and not for OUR sins only but for the sins of the WHOLE WORLD" 1 John 2:2 NIV

On the cross we have the "Atoning sacrifice" full and complete.
But as "Day of Atonement" teaches in Lev 16 - for the Bible scope of Atonement to be "complete" you have to have BOTH the work of Christ as "sin offering" - (the atoning sacrifice) -- and ALSO the work of Christ as the High Priest in Lev 16 - which Paul says in Hebrews 8:1-5 is the "Main Point". A work He is still doing in heaven "for us"

Missing this key point, the rest of the OP appears to be on the wrong track.

Having an incomplete definition for atonement leads to a lot of guesses and inferences that incorporate some form of flaw/gap in logic.

Step 1. Define the full scope of Bible atonement.

Upvote 0

Behold

Apr 5, 2020
Netanya
✟13,908.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bible tells that when person is born of God, he is righteous.

When you are saved, (born again) you have received the righteousness of God as your own.
this is the "gift of Righteousness"
So, do you not believe this?
If you dont, then do a study of "the Blood Atonement" and "Redemption".
Once you figure this out, then ask yourself a simple questions, 1213.

ask..>"why would God accept my dirty works, when He has already given my HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS".

You have some believing to do, followed by some time spent in Ephesians, Romans, Colossians, and Galatians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums