Where do people usually begin reading the OT?

Llewelyn Stevenson

May 24, 2015
✟29,490.00
Faith
Pentecostal
This is a hard question to answer, particularly if you don't see the relationship between the old and new testaments. A question could be,what are you looking for, and what do you hope to see?

I remember 40 years ago, one of my favourite albums was To The Bride by Barry McGuire. I'll try to relate a story he told.

"I remember one morning, we were ridin' in the bus and Buck was reading [you remember pastor Buck don't you? He's the dude with the wide partin' who was up here a moment ago].
Have you ever tried readin' when you're riding in a bus? You read the same word seven times.
Anyway, Buck was readin' and he was going, "Ooh... Oorgh."
I said, "What you readin'?"
He said, "Genesis."
He said, "Look here. It says God created the sun and moon, here, right here. The sun shines by day and the moon shines at night. It says that the moon reflected the light of the sun, ya know."
And he said, "We're like the moon. There are times when the world can't see the Son, they can only see us and we need to reflect the Son so that the world may see."
And I said, "Ooargh! Oh! Lord! I wanna be a full moon!"."

I probably got that a bit wrong after 40 years, but it was something like that.

Whether that was the catalyst for my reading the Old Testament or not, I can't be sure, but it changed the way I saw everything. I wrote screeds and screeds of notes. Every line in the O.T. reminded me of something in the New, or some aspect of Christian living.

Perhaps you need something like this to help you with your O.T. reading. Don't just read the words, ask God to show you how it can relate to you, after all, there are many sermons today that are based in an O.T reading and I'm sure you have enjoyed some of them.

I don't know if you can still get the live Album To The Bride. I do know that Barry especially had 1000 run off on cd about 20 years ago because it was the 3rd time I bought it [lp; cass; then cd]. Probably unlikely he has any left but you could try his website. Its a good un.

Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

messianist

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
a
✟282,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've read the NT at least 3 or 4 times but I have never read the OT all the way through. Honestly? I find it dry and boring. Most of it is just a collection of stories that happened to the Jews. There's nothing about Jesus or about salvation in there. But recently I've been thinking that the NT is getting kind of stale and I'd like to start reading the OT again.

But I don't really want to start at Genesis all over again (I've read Genesis at least 15 times anyway). So I'm wondering what parts of the OT are particularly good to read? I've heard good things about Psalms and Isaiah. Apprarently Isaiah has prophecies about Jesus in it. I know that Isaiah does talk about the New Heavens and the New Earth.

But I've read from Genesis to 2nd Samuel Chapter 11 I believe was where I left off but I don't really want to continue reading from 2nd Samuel I want to skip around with the interesting stuff before I get to the boring stuff.

Job

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I've read the NT at least 3 or 4 times but I have never read the OT all the way through. Honestly? I find it dry and boring. Most of it is just a collection of stories that happened to the Jews. There's nothing about Jesus or about salvation in there. But recently I've been thinking that the NT is getting kind of stale and I'd like to start reading the OT again.

But I don't really want to start at Genesis all over again (I've read Genesis at least 15 times anyway). So I'm wondering what parts of the OT are particularly good to read? I've heard good things about Psalms and Isaiah. Apprarently Isaiah has prophecies about Jesus in it. I know that Isaiah does talk about the New Heavens and the New Earth.

But I've read from Genesis to 2nd Samuel Chapter 11 I believe was where I left off but I don't really want to continue reading from 2nd Samuel I want to skip around with the interesting stuff before I get to the boring stuff.

Neo,

This is what I do. I use the 5 Day Bible Reading Program
This works its way through the OT, only 2-3 chapters at a time, incorporates a Psalm, and a chapter from the NT. I find this method to be balanced and to give me an overall exposure to both OT and NT.

You can print these pages that give you a full-year of reading for 5 days of the week. Click here to open the Reading Schedule

I find it important to read through a book of the Bible in my daily reading so I get the context. This Program helps me do that gradually and could help you deal with 'the boring stuff'.

I find the Book of Leviticus one of the most difficult to work through.

By the way, Isaiah 53 speaks about the coming Messiah. When did Jesus die?

Many scholars are of the view that it was around 6-4 BC. You'll find some of the reasons in,

In what year did Jesus die? - Got Questions?

Oz

Upvote 0

Toro

Oh, Hello!
Jan 27, 2012
You don't get to stalk me. :|
✟338,520.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the best place to start would be different for everyone, depends where they are in life and what drew them to pick up the Bible.

However in a general "best place to start" I'd say probably Romans for NT

Job for OT

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

I have read it all the way through but really want to do it chronologically. The KJV and others, as presented in the typical layout, are not chronological.

Soon, I will be reading it in this manner. I think that it may make things much more interesting.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟922,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
For me it's a challenge to try and understand all the symbolism and how it relates to now. Like I said some of the newer translations help move it along.

Yeah I like to read from the NIV. I used to be a KJV only Christian but once I actually picked up an NIV bible I've been addicted to it ever since. But... Yeah... I haven't really read many of the other newer translations although I hear good things about the ASB and ESV.

Maybe once I read all of the OT I'll go back to the New Testament and study that some more. Honestly I need to study up a lot more.

Reactions: danbuter
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟922,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Rather than read the OT do a study on all the verses that speak of the coming of Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Pretty amazing all the prophetic literature that points directly to Christ. It also makes you appreciate the historical background of Jesus.
Blessings

That actually sounds like a good idea. I'll do that.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Some thoughts on reading through --

1rst, you don't necessarily need or have to read through -- it may be something really calls to you to read now instead like:

Proverbs
or
Ecclesiastes

2nd, if you are reading through, some parts can make me slow down a lot and think, and other parts I may skim more quickly like the lists of groups and numbers in the Book of Numbers (which has more than only lists, so don't skim the entire book).

I've been reading through fully again, from Genesis, and this time in the ESV (previously I had read it fully through in other translations, but long ago, and recently only read random OT books here and there since). One thing I can say is that in the Psalms it tends to slow me down a lot, because there is so much to think on, and perhaps a good plan is that when you read the Psalms you would read 1-4 Psalms a day, and while that is ongoing, begin the next book Proverbs (which I already see may require a similar reading). Possibly I may try to just read some Psalms and some Proverbs each day, until both are through. One wrinkle that happened is that while I was early in the Psalms, our Saturday Bible study group began a 7 week long course in Proverbs, which usually had about 25 proverbs per week, so it's going to be me reading a good number of proverbs more than once, which is good. Part of what has happened in Psalms is that I hit ones that truly surprise, and also some that just make me stop and think (like 49), and I end up reading only 1 for that day. Which is plenty, as needed. The goal is not to get through but to be in.

A Dramatized Audio Bible can help.

For listening to Jesus, I like the Bible Experience:

full

While the Bible Experience has other casting that is not so good, I prefer then to listen to the Word of Promise. Especially for the OT.

full

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yeah I like to read from the NIV. I used to be a KJV only Christian but once I actually picked up an NIV bible I've been addicted to it ever since. But... Yeah... I haven't really read many of the other newer translations although I hear good things about the ASB and ESV.

Maybe once I read all of the OT I'll go back to the New Testament and study that some more. Honestly I need to study up a lot more.

I believe the KJV is the divinely inspired Word of God, and it is my final Word of authority, but that does not deter me from reading other translations alongside it. I like the NLT for comparison (most times). When I want to know who is talking I get the VOICE Bible out.

At Biblegateway, you can do your own parallel Bible reading with whatever translation you like.

So if you like reading 3 or 4 parallel Bibles next to each other or just 2, you can do that at Biblegateway.

Here is an example:

Genesis 1 VOICE;KJV;NLT - Out of nowhere, time, space, and all - Bible Gateway

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You may also prefer to just read all the stories of the Bible before digging into each book.

You may be interested in reading the the stories of the Bible here:

All the Stories of the Bible

While it does include stories that other Bible story collections leave out, it does not include the whole Story of Revelation. But one can merely read that for themselves i they like. It is still very helpful resource if you plan on just reading or focusing on the stories of the Bible.

Upvote 0

Peggylynn

Nov 16, 2018
Lafayette Indiana
✟8,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Hi, I have read several of the replies. They are right, that Jesus is seen all through the OT. I have found it wonderful to listen to the audio Bible, especially the one read by actor David Suchet, (Hercule Poirot Agatha Christie PBS series). It helps give a picture of the sweep of history, and how the stories all fit together, and how the voice and character of God runs true all through it. The book of Job is fascinating because of the clues and statements of creation that are in there. The book of Esther is great, and unique, because the name of God is never mentioned, but His Hand is seen all through the story. Listen to the New Testament, especially the Gospels, then start listening to the old, and you will hear where Jesus quotes from the OT, because that is the Bible that He read and studied as a young Jewish student growing up. The Jewish geneologies may seem boring to us, but their careful records are part of the reason why they have remained a people although they were without a nation for 2000 years. The Psalms describe every human emotion we will ever feel, and you can turn to them time and time again. God will bless you, my friend, in your willingness to read His Word, and He will illumine it to your mind because of your obedience to Him in reading it!

Upvote 0

sea5763

May 9, 2018
California
✟59,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I’ve read through the whole Bible once and the New Testament 3 or 4 times too I can’t remember the exact number. I only read through the Old Testament once so far so I’m reading through it again a second time now. I think it is harder to read the Old Testament out of order cuz it kind of builds on itself. The first couple of books are hard to read but I feel like it picks up over time. Right now I’m reading this version of the Bible called “one new man” Bible by William Marford. It’s interesting because he will put in parenthesis parts of the Bible that are references to each other so it shows exactly where and how the old and new testaments tie together. Right now I’m almost done with Ezekiel. As other people have mentioned you can also listen to the audio version of the Bible. What I like about the Old Testament is that it shows what God has to say and what He thinks about many different circumstances.

• Agree
Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I really Pray that you return to The Old Testament. The Old Testament is filled with Christ and also many mysteries that only Christ can reveal to you. As a starter, you might want to start with Numbers 16:29 and read the entire story that surrounds The Word “Visitation” in that chapter. Once you have finished reading the entire story, you might want to do a word search in The KJV Old Testament for The Word “Visitation”. In most if not all instances of the use of that word, the meaning is very Spiritual. The Old Testament is filled with such examples. You might want to read Isaiah 53 to refresh your spiritual journey. Malachi 3:1-3 is also a great mystery that can only be understood as intended with Christ teaching you directly. Please at least consider doing the aforementioned recommendation. The phrase “in the way” is also used in The Old Testament and it has a very Spiritual meaning.

Thank you

Upvote 0

Devin P

Apr 16, 2017
Michigan
✟99,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That actually sounds like a good idea. I'll do that.
Do what you want. But, you'll get infinitely more out of just reading from genesis to revelation. The lessons He's trying to teach you that are found only in the OT are incredibly important and can't be overstated. Nothing will help you more than reading the old testament first, then rereading over the new.

You miss so much in the new testament without a solid understanding of the old that words can't even begin to describe it. That's honestly one of Satan's biggest holds on the church today - people start and stay in the new testament, and are taught that it's not even important to read the beginning of the book, when without that, it's impossible to fully understand almost anything in the new testament. Even Peter acknowledges that.

• Agree
Reactions: Neostarwcc
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If you use the NT as a guide, it helps us understand what they said in better light. Many of the prophecies make better sense if we use NT definitions of OT terms. But granted, I'm Amillennial so the terms are vastly different in some cases, where they are not in other systems.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟922,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If you use the NT as a guide, it helps us understand what they said in better light. Many of the prophecies make better sense if we use NT definitions of OT terms. But granted, I'm Amillennial so the terms are vastly different in some cases, where they are not in other systems.

I see. Thanks for the advice.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟922,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Do what you want. But, you'll get infinitely more out of just reading from genesis to revelation. The lessons He's trying to teach you that are found only in the OT are incredibly important and can't be overstated. Nothing will help you more than reading the old testament first, then rereading over the new.

You miss so much in the new testament without a solid understanding of the old that words can't even begin to describe it. That's honestly one of Satan's biggest holds on the church today - people start and stay in the new testament, and are taught that it's not even important to read the beginning of the book, when without that, it's impossible to fully understand almost anything in the new testament. Even Peter acknowledges that.

I agree. There's just so much I can gain from reading the Old Testament too and not just the New Testament. That's why I've been trying to read it for almost seven years now. But every time I start reading the OT I get bored and never finish. Which is why I'm thinking that I should start with the interesting stuff first and then work on the more boring stuff. Eventually ill read the whole bible. I have many years left in my life to study and finish the Bible.

Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

Isaiah is sometimes known as the fifth gospel.

apart from that you might consider what interests you. If you like the historical stories of the gospels or Acts, why not read the histories: Samuel & Kings. If you like the theology the letters, Proverbs, Isaiah or Ezekiel might be best. If you like Revelation... you need your head seen to :) or read Daniel.

Another way is to go to favourite passages in the NT and then look at where they quote from, reading the original context .

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Haven’t read all the responses other than @Hammster below. He’s right. If you want to know how the first Christians understood how to find Jesus (Luke 24:44-50) then start with “In the Beginning” (Genesis 1:1).

Since you read the NT read the OT with how can I find the Gospel of Grace there.

For example, we see in Genesis 3 the foreshadowing of the Gospel. Adam and Eve after they sinned tried to cover their own sin with fig leaves. The first human effort to deal with their own sin. The works based salvation which fails.

We see later in the chapter YHWH provides animal skin coverings for them and as such shows there is no forgiveness of sins without the shedding of Blood.

Check it out:

Genesis 3 NASB

• Agree
Reactions: Athanasius377
Upvote 0