Northwest, GA
✟15,593.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is hard one to reply to when witnessing. I found a website that offered the following explanation:

Well, God tells us that He [the Father] and Jesus always lived. There never was a time when they didn’t live. There is even a part of God that can be everywhere in the Universe at the same time. This is called the Holy Spirit. The three of them are all "God". Because we are only "human", we cannot fully understand it, so we need to accept it. Some day God will explain all these hard questions to us! For now, we take the explanations God has already given in the Bible, and trust when ready, God will give more answers.

This is a difficult thing to respond to because we are human, and cannot comprehend this concept. That is where "faith" comes in. Don't be afraid to say "I don't know, but here's what God has done for me". Dr. Tony Campolo, a sociologist, when asked how he, a man of science, could believe in God, responded with "Because I decided to". Dr. Campolo knows what God has done for him, and made the desicion to believe. :D

Don't let this stop you from witnessing. As I said, you know what God has done for you -- tell that story over and over. God will continue to send people your way who need to hear what God has to say through you. Move out of the way and let Him speak.

Upvote 0

jbarcher

ANE Social Science Researcher
Aug 25, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
✟10,136.00
Faith
Christian
Hm. God's cause is contained within Himself. He is the only uncaused, non-contingent being.

He must be uncaused because there cannot be an infinite regress of causes. <-- this is one thing to remember.

Note also that sometimes, when one says, "Who invented God", on their intellectual framework, they are really asking, "Who's the dude who thought up some infinite-personal God?" As in, God is merely a creation of a human mind. You might keep that in mind to clarify some things.

Upvote 0

Periann

Nov 21, 2003
TX
✟11,410.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thats a good idea sweetsoulsong, I like that.

Ive honestly wondered this myself sometimes. But I guess it just goes back to why does it matter for me to have a personal relationship with Him. I know He's real, and He's real in my life, and that is what truly matters. The rest can wait until the afterlife.

Upvote 0

seangoh

Veteran
Dec 10, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
✟16,661.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
One additional thought i'd like to add.
I know i'm weak and so insignificant in this world. How much are we really worth i mean. Boiled down chemically, it'll probably be just a few dollars. Or if i sell my organs, i'll be worth more. But still! That's not much as compared to the whole world, or the universe. If i were to look from the universe, i'll not be even a dot on earth. I'm so small and weak and lousy. So how can i survive and feel some worth in this world? I need a friend. And not just a friend, i need a special friend. We all have friends. We remember some of our friends were so popular that they had an entourage around them. And those around him would feel that they're worth something because of being with this popular guy or gal. Or maybe we have some real good friends in this world but somehow, distance or death breaks this relationship.

Thus, there have to be 4 qualities that a special friend must meet
1) He must be worth something
2) He must know everything there is to know about you. (If he doesn't know much about you, then he's not counted as a good friend. It's more of an acquaintence)
3) And despite knowing us fully, that friend is still supposed to love us just the way you are.
4) He must live forever

There's only one person that meets this criteria. God isn't created so that means He's really worth something big time! Just imagine, He's the beginning and the end! That means He is THE MAN. There's no one higher or greater than Him!
Secondly, He knows all about us even our deepest secrets. And yet, He still loves us! Come on! Is this a joke? No, it's true. My self worth suddenly increased a million fold.
And finally, He lives forever! No more broken hearts. Imagine the earthly friends you have that die before you. You'll have to live to experience sadness and grief. But God lives forever so that we are assured that He don't die before us(if His death is possible in the first place).

I need someone that meets those 4 qualities. Only God can meet that. And if no one meets those requirements, then i think our life is not worth living.

Upvote 0

Faith In God

A little FIG is all we need...
Apr 3, 2004
Texas
✟36,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Inapplicable question. like asking "Where does the universe end?"

If there is an end, a brick wall that says "The End", then I want to know what's behind the wall. the universe has no end, much as our minds must stretch to understand.

God is the same.

We, as human beings, exist in time. logic for us says that everything must have a beginning and an end.

but God exists outside of time, and is everlasting.

If God had a beginning, then God would have an end. would the questioner like to support that theory?

Upvote 0