where did evolution go?

pinkputter

unending love, amazing grace
May 21, 2007
United States
✟10,504.00
Faith
Christian
All the atheists on this forum... I have a question.

Its taken supposedly billions of years to get to be the human race we are now. And yes if you follow strict evolution from nothing, i guess it would take billions of years considering how complicated the human body is. so I have a question for you. what are we evolving into NOW?

Humans have been around more than 6,000 years, without evolving drastically. Why has there been such a stand-still of evolution?

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single

Its taken supposedly billions of years to get to be the human race we are now. And yes if you follow strict evolution from nothing, i guess it would take billions of years considering how complicated the human body is. so I have a question for you. what are we evolving into NOW?

Humans have been around more than 6,000 years, without evolving drastically. Why has there been such a stand-still of evolution?

What makes you think there has been a stand-still?

Human Evolutionary Change 100 Times Higher in Past 5,000 Years (Today's Most Popular)

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married

I'd say the majority of people on this forum accept Evolution as scientific fact, including most of the Christians. I'm not sure why the question is restricted to Atheists.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
I'd say the majority of people on this forum accept Evolution as scientific fact, including most of the Christians. I'm not sure why the question is restricted to Atheists.

I missed that part. Most people who believe in evolution are not atheists.

One of the major changes in the last 5000 years is the ability of Indo-Europeans to digest milk.

Upvote 0

dazed

Jun 21, 2011
✟17,651.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married

6,000/4.5 billion = 0.000000000001, give or take a decimal place.

Now, 5,000 years ago, Noah's descendants sped walk from Middle East and repopulate China. Never mind that the Chinese has 5,000 years of recorded history. So, a lineage of a Semetic quickly evolved with Asiatic features within a few years and STOP.

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
6,000/4.5 billion = 0.000000000001, give or take a decimal place.

Now, 5,000 years ago, Noah's descendants sped walk from Middle East and repopulate China. Never mind that the Chinese has 5,000 years of recorded history. So, a lineage of a Semetic quickly evolved with Asiatic features within a few years and STOP.

I thought the Chinese added to their calendar to show that Buddha lived before Christ did. Atheist add time to their carbon dating process to give proof of Evolution. Did you ever hear about the live DNA found in a dinosaur that was carbon dated to be millions of years old. Dino bones not identified as such have been carbon dated between 5000 to 16000 years old. The creation days are epochs of time, but mankind has not been on earth very long. Apes and Humans are not related.

Upvote 0

dazed

Jun 21, 2011
✟17,651.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
I thought the Chinese added to their calendar to show that Buddha lived before Christ did.

Where did you get that info from? Chinese kept track of years by Sons of God's reigns, not to be confused with the Son of God. It's like during the 2nd year of the first Han emperor, 5th year of the second Han emperor. It's a PITA to keep track of them.

Beside, Buddhism was not the state's religion.

Atheist add time to their carbon dating process to give proof of Evolution. Did you ever hear about the live DNA found in a dinosaur that was carbon dated to be millions of years old. Dino bones not identified as such have been carbon dated between 5000 to 16000 years old.

I hope you didn't get this info from the same source about the Chinese calendar.

The creation days are epochs of time, but mankind has not been on earth very long. Apes and Humans are not related.

Tigers and Lions are related.
Horses and Zebras are related.
but not Apes and Humans? Make sense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Here is a quote from that article that makes me suspicious of the claim:
"We are more different genetically from people living 5,000 years ago than they were different from Neanderthals," according to John Hawks -University of Wisconsin anthropologist.

If we compare ancient Homo Sapiens bones to ancient Neanderthal bones there are obvious differences, but if we compare ancient Homo Sapiens bones to modern Homo Sapiens bones there are few differences - at least IMO.

Furthermore the Neanderthal genome is a result of more guesswork than the ancient and modern Homo Sapiens genomes.

So I'm suspicious. Of course I'm not an expert.

Upvote 0

pinkputter

unending love, amazing grace
May 21, 2007
United States
✟10,504.00
Faith
Christian
As others have noted, human history (that is, from the onset of written records) is such an absolutely tiny fraction of geologic and evolutionary history.

-CryptoLutheran

I realize it's a fraction of history, although enough of a fraction to where we should have some sort of growth. I'm a Christian who believes in evolution. But not the evolution FROM nothing to a one-celled organism to where we are now.

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Where did you get that info from? Chinese kept track of years by Sons of God's reigns, not to be confused with the Son of God. It's like during the 2nd year of the first Han emperor, 5th year of the second Han emperor. It's a PITA to keep track of them.

Beside, Buddhism was not the state's religion.

I hope you didn't get this info from the same source about the Chinese calendar.

Tigers and Lions are related.
Horses and Zebras are related.
but not Apes and Humans? Make sense.
Things have changed. Even the Evolutionist say that Humans and Apes are not of the same family line.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
On the question of future human evolution, it seems like the forces at work have changed.
- birth control is more effective
- many cultures no longer see children as a sign of success
- raising children is more expensive with medical care and education
- genetic engineering is new
- technology is evolving very fast

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Things have changed. Even the Evolutionist say that Humans and Apes are not of the same family line.

Humans are apes. We share a common ancestry with the rest of the extent great apes, sharing the closest relationship with chimpanzees.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Humans are apes. We share a common ancestry with the rest of the extent great apes, sharing the closest relationship with chimpanzees.

-CryptoLutheran

That's odd, because the bible says that God formed man from the dust of the earth, in God's own likeness.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I realize it's a fraction of history, although enough of a fraction to where we should have some sort of growth. I'm a Christian who believes in evolution. But not the evolution FROM nothing to a one-celled organism to where we are now.

Since the arising of anatomically modern humans (Homo sapiens sapiens) about 200,000 years ago in Africa, there has been observed changes.

In less UV-heavy climates, such as Northern Europe, the populations have less melanin produced in the skin. Melanin is a pigment that protects the skin from UV radiation. In places like Northern Europe it was less necessary to retain higher levels of melanin, and more important to receive more UV as UV helps produce vitamin D in the skin.

Thus such mutations through the expanding human population over the globe shows a variety and gradient of skin tones. With typically lighter skin further away from the equator, darker skin nearer the equator.

Such mutations working their way into population groups takes time. Not the sort of thing we're going to observe happen, literally, over night.

But if you want examples of the same processes working because of direct human intervention, look up about the Russian silver foxes who, in the last fifty years, were continually bred to show more "domestic" traits. The result has been a breed of silver fox that are naturally friendlier with humans, and retain juvenile traits longer. The same process that gave us the domestic dog from the wild wolf. That's still evolution, though in such cases we are talking humans deliberately selecting desirable traits and breeding out undesirable. But the same basic mechanisms are at play.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Zoness
Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

-CryptoLutheran

Your out of step with the Evolutionist and the bible.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
That's odd, because the bible says that God formed man from the dust of the earth, in God's own likeness.

If I read Genesis ch. 2 as a literal, journalistic accounting of human origins that may be a good counter argument. But I don't take the early chapters of Genesis as literal, wooden, journalistic accounts of material/human origins.

Yes, I believe man is created in God's image.
No, I don't believe God literally took a handful of clay to make man.

And no, I don't see these as contradictory statements.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If I read Genesis ch. 2 as a literal, journalistic accounting of human origins that may be a good counter argument. But I don't take the early chapters of Genesis as literal, wooden, journalistic accounts of material/human origins.

Yes, I believe man is created in God's image.
No, I don't believe God literally took a handful of clay to make man.

And no, I don't see these as contradictory statements.

-CryptoLutheran

It is true that there are many parables in our bible, and a person needs to discern what is a parable or not. If God made us in His image, then we did not evolve.

Upvote 0