Where are Asians in the Table of Nations

PARCmd

Nov 27, 2007
✟7,820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It seems absurd that most American authored Bible commentaries place Asians together with Africans as the children of Ham - the facial features are too distinct and too far.

I read that Whites and Asians share lots of genetic characteristics though, so I'm wondering if they came from Japheth. Also, there are lots of East Asians who look quite White.

No racism meant. Just curious.

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It seems absurd that most American authored Bible commentaries place Asians together with Africans as the children of Ham - the facial features are too distinct and too far.

I read that Whites and Asians share lots of genetic characteristics though, so I'm wondering if they came from Japheth. Also, there are lots of East Asians who look quite White.

No racism meant. Just curious.

sfs, are you there? What do you know?

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
sfs, are you there? What do you know?
I can tell you what genetics says; connecting that with Genesis is not a job I'll undertake. Europeans and Asians are indeed more closely related genetically than either is to Africans. All non-African populations look like they carry a subset of African genetic variation, which gives strong support to the notion that they arose out of a migration out of Africa (~60,000 years ago). Europeans and East Asians (especially the latter) both show signs of having been through population bottlenecks, periods of smaller population size, with one bottleneck being shared (probably when they were a single population, around the time they left Africa); most African populations do not.

Upvote 0

Sphinx777

Nov 24, 2007
Bibliotheca Alexandrina
✟10,752.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Asian people or Asiatic people is a demonym for people from Asia. However, the use of the term varies by country and person, often referring to people from a particular region or subregion of Asia. Though it may be based on residence, it is also often considered a race or an ethnicity.

In North America, the term refers most commonly to people of predominantly East Asian and Southeast Asian ancestry; however, in the United Kingdom and Anglophone Africa, the term refers most commonly to South Asians. In other countries, the term is applied in a wider sense to all people from Asia or from a number of its regions. In the United States, however, Middle Eastern and Central Asian people are usually not considered "Asian."

:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Last I checked the idea that the ethnicities of the world, including the idea that black people were the descendants of cursed Ham had been discarded as an embarrassing and baseless teaching that was just used to justify slavery and racism.

Upvote 0