Nov 3, 2003
✟5,464.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I'm hoping this thread can be a resource for peope to use when suffering and to encourage others who are suffering because we are told to share in eachothers sufferings and we all suffer from time to time.

Please don't use this thread to condemn. I haven't seen any of that in this forum fortunatley but I have seen it in these forums unfortanatly

So to start... has anyone here been suffering lately and would like to share?

Do you have any words of wisdom for us?

What have you found to help you while you are suffering?

What have you learned/gained from it?

Do you get discouraged?

Any helpful scriptures?

Any complaints or are you currently right now feeling hopeless? If you read psalms you'll see that david often felt alone rejected by people and god and got very discouraged and depressed. Its ok to confess your feelings to god even if they are not positive. Please feel free to post those feelings here safely. It is good medicine to get it of your chest sometimes and we r here for u.

Is there anyone who you would like to post about and pray for today.

Loving father show us your power and we ask for your wisdom. Give us eyes to see and ears to hear your voice today. Amen.

hisbloodformysins

He's my best friend
Nov 3, 2003
✟5,464.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I will start and say that suffering has been a humbling experience for me. I feel like it is a great time to reach out to others who suffer. When everything is going great in our life its easy to ignore and even be hardened to the suffering of others and we don't like to be brought down by those people. But we all encounter suffering in one way or another eventually and it makes us have more compassion for others when we do because we know what it means to suffer. Also I think that thre are other people out there suffering even more then us... when we reach out to those ppl we might help eleviate their suffering and it might help aleviate ours in the process.

Upvote 0

antiarte

Jan 18, 2005
communist russia
✟3,812.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
So to start... has anyone here been suffering lately and would like to share?
yes. ok. i've been suffering because at work a neckbeard was being obscenely [out of shape] near me.

Do you have any words of wisdom for us?
puddi? puddi. puddi and exercise.

What have you found to help you while you are suffering?
puddi.

What have you learned/gained from it?
>mfw gained
>mfw resourse

Do you get discouraged?
yes. no. i got nauseous.

Any helpful scriptures?
"the universe is finished; the copestone is on, and the chips were carted off a million years ago."

Upvote 0

SweetDee

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.
Jul 13, 2010
Hogwarts
✟22,875.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I will start and say that suffering has been a humbling experience for me. I feel like it is a great time to reach out to others who suffer. When everything is going great in our life its easy to ignore and even be hardened to the suffering of others and we don't like to be brought down by those people. But we all encounter suffering in one way or another eventually and it makes us have more compassion for others when we do because we know what it means to suffer. Also I think that thre are other people out there suffering even more then us... when we reach out to those ppl we might help eleviate their suffering and it might help aleviate ours in the process.

Thank you for posting this :hug: :prayer:

Lately, I have been...I don't know if you want to call it suffering but I will say struggling. I am having a difficult time with facing another holiday season single. I love my life, everyone in it, but I am not looking forward to the realization that always hits home come the holidays that once again, I am alone and very much single. It's the small things really that add up. Seeing my siblings and parents exchange kisses and hugs to their spouse after opening a gift from them...seeing them exchange looks toward each other that only they would know what they are really saying with their eyes. And then the dreaded stroke of midnight on New Years...:doh: While all of this is difficult, even at the young age at 25, I have to twist it around a bit so I can see the hope and blessing through this. I may not have anyone to share the holiday season with but I do have positive examples of what marriage is supposed to be, people...couples, to look up to for when I am no longer single. I also have a loving and supportive family who is always there for me, even if they do try to marry me off to complete strangers every now and then. I am throughly blessed despite this and like you said in the bold it could be a lot worse...much worse.

And I agree, through our hardships, struggles, valleys, and mountains, we gain wisdom and strength to pass along to others who are suffering.

I always always always look at Habakkuk 2:3 "For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

that verse gives me hope and renewed strength and it makes me smile. I shall not be a crabby ole spinstah forevah! :smirk:

Upvote 0

hisbloodformysins

He's my best friend
Nov 3, 2003
✟5,464.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you for posting this :hug: :prayer:

Lately, I have been...I don't know if you want to call it suffering but I will say struggling. I am having a difficult time with facing another holiday season single. I love my life, everyone in it, but I am not looking forward to the realization that always hits home come the holidays that once again, I am alone and very much single. It's the small things really that add up. Seeing my siblings and parents exchange kisses and hugs to their spouse after opening a gift from them...seeing them exchange looks toward each other that only they would know what they are really saying with their eyes. And then the dreaded stroke of midnight on New Years...:doh: While all of this is difficult, even at the young age at 25, I have to twist it around a bit so I can see the hope and blessing through this. I may not have anyone to share the holiday season with but I do have positive examples of what marriage is supposed to be, people...couples, to look up to for when I am no longer single. I also have a loving and supportive family who is always there for me, even if they do try to marry me off to complete strangers every now and then. I am throughly blessed despite this and like you said in the bold it could be a lot worse...much worse.

And I agree, through our hardships, struggles, valleys, and mountains, we gain wisdom and strength to pass along to others who are suffering.

I always always always look at Habakkuk 2:3 "For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay."

that verse gives me hope and renewed strength and it makes me smile. I shall not be a crabby ole spinstah forevah! :smirk:

You know, I can relate :) But occassionally God reminds me of the times in my marriage when I badly wished I was single lol!

Let me tell you people something, singleness is a gift too! Try to enjoy it.. as i'm sure you all might.

You have the freedom to serve God with your whole heart right now., however you want to without someone else telling you what to do or being a distraction to you. Try to see it that way.

And trust me when I say that it is better to be single and alone then married and alone and miserable! So let's wait for God's best!

:)

Upvote 0

hisbloodformysins

He's my best friend
Nov 3, 2003
✟5,464.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
So lately I've been doing some suffering. I walked into my apartment last night and was suddenly hit with a memory of my ex boyfriend being here cooking something special for me when i came home from work. He was a good cook and those evenings alone together were special. He had a romantic bone, we'd cuddle on the couch and read the bible and listen to musci and talk and end the night with prayer. Those were the nights when it was good. It makes me sad you know, when I hear a song on the radio that reminds me of him. How it felt to hug him and be in his arms. I miss him.

It isn't that easy to get over that kind of hurt and loss. I think i'll be grieving for a long time. Heart break sucks.

Upvote 0

broken_one

Fear is but something to be overcome.
Jun 5, 2008
✟22,438.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I've been suffering.....I've come a long way with my mental issues, but at the same time you know how powerful it was, and how fast the house of cards could come down. This house of cards is now more like a solid building, but you fret over any crack you see. It can be tough.

I hate being single....it's rough. Tougher for a guy like me. I don't express things a lot, and that lack of expression only adds to my anxiety sometimes. Like I feel, but what I really think about things I rarely say. Nobody ever tells you that people-persons are more beholden to their people than caring for themselves. The things you learn. I suppose the cliche would be "every king needs his queen", ironically because "heavy lies the crown".

I also hate my parents and my roommates (actually my roommates have gotten a lot better recently though), but that's more things they do that aggravate me more than anything. Yeah, it's my response to their actions, but sometimes it's more than that because I need to get out of these situations. Oh well.

I should really start reading my Bible more often, but even thinking about doing it makes me feel all guilty for the things I've done wrong and I don't want to open it or anything. Thankfully I'm going to church Sunday, for the first time in about a month (again for a similar reason).

Guilt is a powerful emotion.

Upvote 0

hisbloodformysins

He's my best friend
Nov 3, 2003
✟5,464.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I've been suffering.....I've come a long way with my mental issues, but at the same time you know how powerful it was, and how fast the house of cards could come down. This house of cards is now more like a solid building, but you fret over any crack you see. It can be tough.

I hate being single....it's rough. Tougher for a guy like me. I don't express things a lot, and that lack of expression only adds to my anxiety sometimes. Like I feel, but what I really think about things I rarely say. Nobody ever tells you that people-persons are more beholden to their people than caring for themselves. The things you learn. I suppose the cliche would be "every king needs his queen", ironically because "heavy lies the crown".

I also hate my parents and my roommates (actually my roommates have gotten a lot better recently though), but that's more things they do that aggravate me more than anything. Yeah, it's my response to their actions, but sometimes it's more than that because I need to get out of these situations. Oh well.

I should really start reading my Bible more often, but even thinking about doing it makes me feel all guilty for the things I've done wrong and I don't want to open it or anything. Thankfully I'm going to church Sunday, for the first time in about a month (again for a similar reason).

Guilt is a powerful emotion.

Hi,

I wish I was talented enough to break up all your post into single quotes i can respond to individually like some ppl can but have never been able to figure it out. So I'll make a list of points instead :)

First I want to say that I am 10 years older then you are, and something that ppl have told me and that i have now learned to be true is that you become more comfortable with who you are the older you get. Someone told me this when I was in my early twenties and I thought "i'm not a child or teenager" but it's true. You still have some confidence building to do and it'll probably come with time because you are still figuring out who you are.

I hear a lot of complaints about how you aren't more social. I can relate to that, but you need to learn to be happy with the personality God gave you. Yeah right now you might have a hard time connecting with people because you aren't more outgoing, but the person that will fit you and who God brings you will fit you right where you are.

It sounds like you have some trouble with anxiety, I can relate to that because i have been diagnoses with ocd which is an anxiety disorder and i'll tell you three things have helped, age, getting the bible deep down in my heart, and medication. Maybe you might look into that. Sometimes the right medication can make a world of difference. And if fear is something you struggle with a lot which is the theme of OCD then maybe it is medication that you need. I need it. It took me a long time to except that fact and it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with me except my brain chemistry is a little off. Antidepressants make a world of difference for anxiety disorders.

Also phillipians chapter 4. You should read the bible more like you say, because the word increases our faith and helps renew our minds. It is hard to overcome in the word if we do not have the word etched in our brains. I love phillipians chapter 4 for myself personally where it talks about submitting all our requests to God, and it says that if we do this the peace of God will rule our hearts and minds in christ Jesus. And the reason you feel so guilty is because the enemy likes to come along and jab you in the head with those thoughts so that you won't read the word, which is the only thing that can really set you free. He is a crafty one.

HB

Upvote 0

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I've had a lot of it this year, moreso than any other time in my life. I'm still working through the wreckage but I've learned so much from it. Reading John Piper's "Suffering and the Sovereignty of God" was a HUGE help and really gave me perspective. I highly recommend it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

white dove

(she's a) maniac
Jan 23, 2004
Out there, livin'
✟49,357.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
This is a good sticky thread idea. :) We've all either been there, are there or are going to be there (again) in the future. It's not so much commiserating as it is sharing what we've learned and perhaps bringing our suffering to the table so that we may deal with it accordingly... and having brothers and sister pray for your healing isn't bad, either.

Upvote 0

JourneyToPeace

His law is love and His gospel is peace
Sep 17, 2010
Canada
✟9,970.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hey everyone.

Just wanted to come in, and say hi.... this thread's pretty timely, I guess you could say. I don't think I'm suffering. I'm definitely grieving. And struggling, every day, to keep focused, and keep praying, and keep my eyes on Jesus Christ. He has got me through every single day, and I am so very thankful.

A few weeks ago, I lost twin girls right at the beginning of my second trimester. It was horrible, and I miss being pregnant, and miss looking forward to them, and miss THEM. At the hospital I got to see them... and I'll NEVER forget it.

At the same time, I lost the long-term relationship I was in. I'd come back to Jesus Christ; he was still an atheist. It wasn't working out anyways... but the 'straw that broke the camel's back' was our babies dying. For several reasons, we responded in very different ways, and we ended it. THAT still hurts, too, even if it was the best thing for us.

Am I suffering? No, absolutely not, not when I think of all the poor people worldwide with no homes, no food, no safe water, nobody to love them. And when I compare THIS to ANYTHING Christ went through for us... no comparison. This is just life in a fallen world.

But I am hurting, so just wanted to offer my own ear for you folks, and my prayers for all of us. :crossrc:

Upvote 0

ifightdwagons

the water, the Spirit and the blood; 1 John5:8
Nov 28, 2010
✟8,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I occasionally suffer over my beliefs personally. Either being put down by them or ignored. I also wish I could meet another Christian because I have never met one before. I guess the worst time in my life of faith I almost took my life; didn't eat, didn't sleep, wandered the streets at night, cried all the time, hopeless and felt almost defeated for weeks. At least I held onto the gospel... which was something I kept shouting in my head whenever some thoughts came up again. You can lose anything in your life, boyfriend, family member to death, friends, be homeless. But if your faith is damaged it is worse than anything and is unbearable. Everything is a loss and worthless if that gets destroyed.

Upvote 0

Gilbert 61

Dec 18, 2010
✟7,925.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So lately I've been doing some suffering. I walked into my apartment last night and was suddenly hit with a memory of my ex boyfriend being here cooking something special for me when i came home from work. He was a good cook and those evenings alone together were special. He had a romantic bone, we'd cuddle on the couch and read the bible and listen to musci and talk and end the night with prayer. Those were the nights when it was good. It makes me sad you know, when I hear a song on the radio that reminds me of him. How it felt to hug him and be in his arms. I miss him.

It isn't that easy to get over that kind of hurt and loss. I think i'll be grieving for a long time. Heart break sucks.

I have been having the samething with the random memories kind of thing. Heart Break does suck. I have been talking to my friend about somethings like this. Honestly I have learned that heart break (for me anyways) is the worst feeling, outside of seperation from God, in the world. My sliver lining is that when you find the person that knows how to put your heart back together peice by peice has to be one of the best feelings in the world.

Upvote 0

broken_one

Fear is but something to be overcome.
Jun 5, 2008
✟22,438.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

I wish I was talented enough to break up all your post into single quotes i can respond to individually like some ppl can but have never been able to figure it out. So I'll make a list of points instead :)

First I want to say that I am 10 years older then you are, and something that ppl have told me and that i have now learned to be true is that you become more comfortable with who you are the older you get. Someone told me this when I was in my early twenties and I thought "i'm not a child or teenager" but it's true. You still have some confidence building to do and it'll probably come with time because you are still figuring out who you are.

I hear a lot of complaints about how you aren't more social. I can relate to that, but you need to learn to be happy with the personality God gave you. Yeah right now you might have a hard time connecting with people because you aren't more outgoing, but the person that will fit you and who God brings you will fit you right where you are.

It sounds like you have some trouble with anxiety, I can relate to that because i have been diagnoses with ocd which is an anxiety disorder and i'll tell you three things have helped, age, getting the bible deep down in my heart, and medication. Maybe you might look into that. Sometimes the right medication can make a world of difference. And if fear is something you struggle with a lot which is the theme of OCD then maybe it is medication that you need. I need it. It took me a long time to except that fact and it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with me except my brain chemistry is a little off. Antidepressants make a world of difference for anxiety disorders.

Also phillipians chapter 4. You should read the bible more like you say, because the word increases our faith and helps renew our minds. It is hard to overcome in the word if we do not have the word etched in our brains. I love phillipians chapter 4 for myself personally where it talks about submitting all our requests to God, and it says that if we do this the peace of God will rule our hearts and minds in christ Jesus. And the reason you feel so guilty is because the enemy likes to come along and jab you in the head with those thoughts so that you won't read the word, which is the only thing that can really set you free. He is a crafty one.

HB
Hey, thanks for the response. Actually my anxiety is rather managed...the thing with panic attacks compared to other anxiety disorders is that once you realize you can do things without getting them, the fear and the disorder shrinks a little. Then you keep going at that, and it keeps getting smaller and smaller. Eventually it will become unnoticeable, but since my therapy got a bit, er, interrupted, I'm not exactly there yet. But I'm getting toward there.

I know about that devil stuff...I just still feel really guilty. It's very hard to explain the feeling that you want to be more religious, but the things you do get in your way and those things are also seeming more like mountains than anything.

I'm definitely outgoing, but connecting with people is a different thing. Sometimes it's so easy, and other times it's just so difficult. I don't know.

I really need this confidence now. If I had it, I really could be something good instead of having "flashes of brilliance". Yeah, all that finding myself and stuff. If my confidence is related in the discovery and creation of my adult (as opposed to adolescent) persona, I need to get to finding myself pretty darn quick over here. :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hisbloodformysins

He's my best friend
Nov 3, 2003
✟5,464.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Hey everyone.

Just wanted to come in, and say hi.... this thread's pretty timely, I guess you could say. I don't think I'm suffering. I'm definitely grieving. And struggling, every day, to keep focused, and keep praying, and keep my eyes on Jesus Christ. He has got me through every single day, and I am so very thankful.

A few weeks ago, I lost twin girls right at the beginning of my second trimester. It was horrible, and I miss being pregnant, and miss looking forward to them, and miss THEM. At the hospital I got to see them... and I'll NEVER forget it.

At the same time, I lost the long-term relationship I was in. I'd come back to Jesus Christ; he was still an atheist. It wasn't working out anyways... but the 'straw that broke the camel's back' was our babies dying. For several reasons, we responded in very different ways, and we ended it. THAT still hurts, too, even if it was the best thing for us.

Am I suffering? No, absolutely not, not when I think of all the poor people worldwide with no homes, no food, no safe water, nobody to love them. And when I compare THIS to ANYTHING Christ went through for us... no comparison. This is just life in a fallen world.

But I am hurting, so just wanted to offer my own ear for you folks, and my prayers for all of us. :crossrc:

Hi, I can relate with you. Because my suffering right now is really grief. This past year I met and fell in love with someone. And we got pregnant on accident. My baby died in her 18th week and I delivered her the following week which was actually this last Oct. on the 10th. I had a c-section scheduled for FEb. 25th and really I'm ok with losing her that wasn't my biggest heart break though sometimes i do feel sad about it like lately I have been realizing that in 2 months i would have her if she lived. But the worst part was the relationship with that man. We broke up the month before she died. So really losing her for me in my situation was a blessing in disguise, I truly believe it because I already have four children and it was just causing a lot of stress esp. being how I was dealing with going through a divorce and beling in love with someone who was breaking my heart and not going to be there for me. He is the reason I grieve. I am sad right now. I guess it won't go away overnight. I believe the lord wants me to grieve so that I can heal. But it takes time.

I'm sorry though to hear about your loss :hug: That is sad. I know.

Let me know if there is anything I can do. :groupray:

HB

Upvote 0

hisbloodformysins

He's my best friend
Nov 3, 2003
✟5,464.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I occasionally suffer over my beliefs personally. Either being put down by them or ignored. I also wish I could meet another Christian because I have never met one before. I guess the worst time in my life of faith I almost took my life; didn't eat, didn't sleep, wandered the streets at night, cried all the time, hopeless and felt almost defeated for weeks. At least I held onto the gospel... which was something I kept shouting in my head whenever some thoughts came up again. You can lose anything in your life, boyfriend, family member to death, friends, be homeless. But if your faith is damaged it is worse than anything and is unbearable. Everything is a loss and worthless if that gets destroyed.​

yeah and suffering works to make our faith stronger. I think that is the lord's purpose an letting me suffer so much :) Because he wants my faith to be strong :)

Is there a church near you you can attend?

Upvote 0

hisbloodformysins

He's my best friend
Nov 3, 2003
✟5,464.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Hey, thanks for the response. Actually my anxiety is rather managed...the thing with panic attacks compared to other anxiety disorders is that once you realize you can do things without getting them, the fear and the disorder shrinks a little. Then you keep going at that, and it keeps getting smaller and smaller. Eventually it will become unnoticeable, but since my therapy got a bit, er, interrupted, I'm not exactly there yet. But I'm getting toward there.

I know about that devil stuff...I just still feel really guilty. It's very hard to explain the feeling that you want to be more religious, but the things you do get in your way and those things are also seeming more like mountains than anything.

I'm definitely outgoing, but connecting with people is a different thing. Sometimes it's so easy, and other times it's just so difficult. I don't know.

I really need this confidence now. If I had it, I really could be something good instead of having "flashes of brilliance". Yeah, all that finding myself and stuff. If my confidence is related in the discovery and creation of my adult (as opposed to adolescent) persona, I need to get to finding myself pretty darn quick over here. :p

LOL, well you'll get there in few more years :)

Upvote 0

hisbloodformysins

He's my best friend
Nov 3, 2003
✟5,464.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Confession time! I went to a small get-together tonight after work and had a couple of White Christmases. They gave me wings!
Thing is, I have a tough time connecting with people, so a lot of my suffering is of the isolated, man-as-island kind. And all the joys of heaven will not make up for that.

Awwe, :hug: I know how that feels. I'm pretty much an island to myself at work even though I chit chat with others. And some girls get together to hang out outside of work and i'd like to join them too but well i'm not invited and don't know how to make people interested in me. Though I talk and am somewhat social I guess i'm kind of quiet too. Who knows.

Upvote 0