✟1,720.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
*mods... if there is a better forum for this, feel free to move us*

When you are witnessing, or sharing the gospel and truth with friends and co-workers: what is their response to the term "salvation message"? or if you don't use that term what do you say? how do *you* in one succinct statement illustrate the purpose of giving ones life to Christ?
anxiously awaitng the responses... thanks in advance!

SenseiPiccolo

Apr 6, 2002
✟3,236.00
Most common response i get is:
but id have to give up my way...
Id have to clean myself up and goto church..
Id have to stop smoking/drinking/curseing...

A fried of mine always gives me these responses...
will someon please pray for his salvation?
his name is GENE
i feel he's getting closer to death--
he goting on un in his 90's now...
a picture can be found here--
http://www.joeygowdy.com/images/geno-brandon.jpg
thanks everyone!!
^_^

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Wait a min. You have a friend that is close to 90 and he does not want to give up his "smoking/drinking/curseing..." ? How did he manage to live that long? I remember doing a study on that once, sense the Bible says we can live to be 120. I was surprised that there are people over the age of 100 that do drink, smoke, curse and not even eat a proper diet. Of course the odds are not all that good, maybe less than 1% of the people will live that long. Thanks, JohnR7

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/business/DailyNews/oldest_worker_011210.html He is still working after all these years.

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
I'd never use the words "salvation message" because folks don't have any idea what that means. It's a phrase that worked a hundred years ago, but has no meaning outside the established church now.

I've found that witnessing to complete strangers is nearly impossible, since you don't know anything about them, you don't know what their needs are, or how to approach them without offending. I can recall at college, a well-meaning Christian boy walked up to me and asked, "Have you heard the word of God today?" Unsaved, I answered, "No, and I don't think you have either!" You can't talk to the unsaved like you can to the saved.

The best way I have found is to get to know the person, find out what's troubling them the most, and offer to pray for them. Usually, people are eager to be prayed for. They'd like to pray, but they think God won't listen to them. If they are eager, I ask them to pray for themselves, too, and if they resist I ask why. If they say that God won't listen, I tell them how to be sure that God hears and answers there prayers.

I usually do this by linking their own lives to God, saying that God is like a good father, one who loves his child more than his own life. And like any good father, he wants to talk with and listen to his child. Then I tell them how to become a child of God.

It's pretty slick, and even if they don't accept right away, it usually is a way to open the door to God for them. They know what to do, and can do it anytime they choose.

So, leave the jargon behind. Let the Holy Spirit tell you how to reach each one.

Upvote 0

Blynn

Jan 15, 2002
✟22,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
originally posted by lambslove

So, leave the jargon behind. Let the Holy Spirit tell you how to reach each one.

Amen.

My friends, family, co-workers know that I am a christian. I think my life needs to be my biggest witness. Most don't want to hear anything about salvation, but if we allow God to work things out or set things up it turns out perfectly. He knows what is needed.

My nickname is "miss doom and gloom". I have been laughed at teased and mocked for my beliefs..... While at work New Year's Eve 1999 some co-workers made signs with my picture on it parading them around. The sign said "The End is Near."

I would like to say that I was at work with this same group of people on Sept. 11...God was able to use me to lead two of them to Christ. It was truly amazing.

Just always be ready in case the Holy Spirit does decide to use you to witness to anyone. And be that little light shining in a world of darkness.

God Bless,
Roberta

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
>>While at work New Year's Eve 1999 some co-workers made signs with my picture on it parading them around. The sign said "The End is Near."

Oww!!! Something similar happened to me at work. The guys were hanging up girlie photos, you know, the topless or nearly-naked type, and I asked them to take them down. One jerk decided to get back at me by pasting the photo from my personnel file onto the half-naked body of one of the pictures and hung it all around the building. Since we wroked in an airport, people from all over the world got to see it. I was embarassed and humiliated! That was the first time I ever experienced true persecution because of my faith. It hurt.

Upvote 0

Martin

Senior Veteran
Jan 13, 2002
Rochdale
Visit site
✟11,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here's a challenge that's achievable.......

Turn a conversation with anyone, on any topic, to talking about Jesus, the Gospel or God within three sentences.....

In witnessing to others, I try to adopt Paul's attitude.....
1 Cor 9:20
To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law;
NASB

Some steps:

1. Drop the religious/Christian language which means something to you and me but not to the unbeliever

2. Talk about things that interest them, always having in mind the opportunity to make them think about how they are with God.

3. Try to turn the conversation to issues such as: Is there a God? What are we all doing here? Is there more to life than Christmas and the annual hoidays? How do we relate to one another (and can we have a relationship with God)? etc., there are many more possible thoughts

4. Aim to show them that no matter how good they think their life is - they have pushed God out of their life for other things ("sinned" - to you and me) and at best "put Him on the back-burner"

5. If you actually get to talk about God, please tell them that He loves them and wants a restored relationship with them

From here on in it's good ole witnessing time, four spiritual laws or whatever you think appropriate.

No one can (nor should) condemn you for the way you witness to people about God. If you are honest in your intent, whatever method you use, God will act on your words and actions, in the heart of the one to whom you are witnessing.

Short testimony to encourage you......

I used to go out witnessing on the streets every Friday night, mainly at the roller skating park (where there was a lot of youth) or anywhere I thought the Lord was taking me. We always went in twos or threes. One Friday, I had no one to go with and after deliberatling whether to go or not, I finally decided to go.

Well, nothing seemed to go right - I didn't get the responses I usually got, I found it difficult to continue a conversation, etc. I can remember walking home that evening talking to God and telling Him how badly I thought it had gone and bemoaning the whole evening, when to my surprise, Father pulled me up and said to me (quite clearly, and I've never forgotten it) "You cannot say that. You don't know the effect your words have had in the life of those who heard you. You have done your bit, now I'll do Mine". I felt that God was saying - "you sow the seed and I'll water it". I walked away with new confidence and having been taught something - you speak to people, and no matter how stumbling your words may be, God can use them in the heart of the person to whom you have spoken, and you may never know the impact they will have had.

Finally, one thought...... you and your life WILL be a witness to others, it may be a good witness or a bad witness but you WILL be a witness. However, the life of witness in itself is of little good, because they will still be ignorant about a new life in Christ when they say "there goes a good person". At some point you will have to talk to them about Jesus if you want them to know the Lord.......

Happy witnessing.......
;) :)

Upvote 0

Martin

Senior Veteran
Jan 13, 2002
Rochdale
Visit site
✟11,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I agree - you're life must be a good witness.......

Isn't it amazing that even if you try to hide the fact that you are a Christian - people allways know (or have you not found this out yet?). That's why I say your life WILL be a witness to them.

Jesus said "you shall be my witnesses....." He wasn't asking us to be witnesses, He was telling us that we will be witnesses to Him whether we like it or not, whether we want to be or not. The issue is - what kind of witness will you be?

You know, you may be the only visible evidence of Jesus that someone may ever see. What an amazing responsibility and what an amazing privelage!

Just one final comment...just live your life with Jesus in your heart (by His Holy Spirit) and as if Jesus was physically walkinhg right alongside you and your witness will be fine - but don't condemn yourself when (or if) you fail or get it wrong - God doesn't condemn you - He loves you and He loves your life......

Blessings to all.......

Upvote 0

SenseiPiccolo

Apr 6, 2002
✟3,236.00
As i said--
most of the time i get the response--
"Id have to change my ways"
or something to that extent--
but its not the giving up of your ways thats matters--
Its the fact that you accpet Jesus as your Lord and Saviour--
then you will want to change your ways
^_^
will someone keep my friend Gene in their prayers for salvation?
or fast and pray with me for him? PM me if so...
^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

marmaladePRO

Dec 17, 2001
Medicine Hat Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟1,720.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
these responses are wonderful and God inspired... thank you. i would like to post direct replies to everything here, but that would involve quoting the entire thread thus far... and since you've gotten this far becuase you've read the thread too, i'll pass on the quoting , and direct you back to read the thread again, i know i will! :) so to this thread i say Amen, and Amen!!! :D

"will someone keep my friend Gene in their prayers for salvation?" yes SP, i will..... does gene live in Hickory Flat too?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.