• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

When will this medical dictatorship end? Or is this just the beginning?

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,633.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Cool! The feast of lights, dedication if i remember right. The second temple inauguration had to do with it but otherwise i don't know the story of Chanukah. They say it comes out of the Meccabees.

How do you celebrate it?

It is the only Jewish holiday not mentioned in the Bible.

The land of Israel was in thick of action between warring Greek factions in Alexandria and Syria.

When the Syrian Greeks plundered the Temple,
they contaminated the pure oil which was kept, sealed,
and for use in the Temple Menorah (lamp).

The Temple lamp (Menorah) was seven branched.

Today in the "Festival of lights"
we have an eightarmed lamp with a holder in between,called the messenger, with which the lampd are lit.

Anyhow,
when the Maccabees retook the Holy Temple from the Greeks,
they only found one flask of unopened pure oil.

But it was only enough for one day,
so they lit all seven lamps and trusted God.

God made a miracle, and the oil lasted for eight days until new oil could be made.

To commemorate this miracle we kindle flames for eight nights adding another light each night
finally all eight lamps are burning brightly.

There is so much, more but that is a rough outline.

Also special prayers and fried foods.

Beware of myths that have developed over time though.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is the only Jewish holiday not mentioned in the Bible.

Thank you very much giving me an outline on this Jewish festival. i enjoyed hearing it.:wave:

i had this once on my motorbike back in Holland. i had been to my girl friend and was back on my way home. i had 60 kilometres to go when i ran out of fuel. It was on a Sunday when all shops were closed and everyone was in Church. i managed to acquire 1 litre of petrol from some people and drove home on it. My bike could do about 30 kilometres on a litre of petrol. i doubled that distance that day praying myself home. Our God can do real miracles, like your story talks about as well.

Peace

• Agree
Reactions: Robban
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
i'm sick and tired of Covid restriction, talk and politics. All you ever hear is Covid this and Covid that. And people attacking each other already about vaccines before the vaccine is out even. Those who trust God with their health are persecuted like never before by those who don't have no trust in God at all.

i hate the world we live in. Absolutely hate it. And i know it is only going to get worse.

Well, then, go to your nearest ICU, and lay down next to some of those patients, then go home. When you do get the virus, please stay the heck away from the hospital, save it for those who have put up with the restrictions but caught it because of people like you. Just stay home and die, then you won't have any restrictions. I just hate the thought of you being inconvenienced by all these restrictions. Don't follow them, but don't take up hospital space either. God alone has kept me alive in Hospice for over 1 1/2 years after they thought I would not last a month. But I'm not stupid, nor presumptuous enough to forgo intelligent protection against illness. I trust God to protect me and keep me alive as long as He wants to. But I do all I am able to do to stay as healthy as I can. You don't knowingly step on a mine when you can go around it and expect God to keep you from the consequences of your own stupidity. Are you a snake handler? Go right up to a starving mountain lion and pet him and expect God to not let him eat you? Go right ahead and jump into an ocean teaming with sharks when you have a scratch on your leg, when you are safely in a boat---God will protect you. That's not faith, that's presumption.

Psa_19:13 Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.

Upvote 0

Tiburon

Aug 26, 2020
Perth
✟18,448.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
i don't watch TV, or read the newspaper, i stopped doing that many years ago. i suffer from a depressive illness the media made it much worse, Church as well so that is a real bummer. But the hush about Covid is all around, people are scared when you walk in the street or stand in a store. Hardly anyone greets anyone. The internet is full of it, very censored, and very untrue.

i truly dislike it when people walking around like criminals with their masks on, looking down on me because i don't.
i reckon some people would crawl on their bellies if the experts told them that is the best way to stay free from Covid.

The fear is the worst. You can almost cut it at times that is how thick some people lay it on.

And sure when you love your life and you have a bad immune system or other ailment that makes you more likely to die from Covid, you fear, and take measures to isolate, but otherwise it is all just a big scare as far as i'm concerned.

Covid is a nasty flu and we do need to take care we don't visit anyone when we are infected but locking people basically up in their homes for months on end without visitors, like they did to my 91 year father keeping him from seeing our 86 year old mother, is cruel and not healthy either. We need to remain fair and give everyone the opportunity without forcing anyone to do anything against basic human rights. Unlike is happening now.

Why can our country just ignore its constitution that was drawn up to protect us citizens from medical experiments? Why is the Government suddenly above the law and able to make their own laws in contradiction to them? All because of a nasty flu all blown up to mega proportions.

And no matter how much i hate it, it wont go away.
While a lot of what you say may be true. You have to know that your condition makes you overly sensitive to the prevailing atmosphere of concern. I know that may not help but it is something to keep in mind. Keep telling yourself that this won't be forever.
Your Constitution wasn't written to encompass dealing with a pandemic. While I think America has gone overboard in some respects, America is a world leader in scaremongery, It is a serious issue. If it's a nasty flu then it is like the Spanish flu that wiped out millions. I'm sorry to hear about your parents. Surely arrangements could have been made to allow them to see each other but they are amongst the most at risk.
Where do you draw the line between basic human rights and public safety?

Upvote 0