✟220,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
D&C 132:36 says (bold mine):

36 Abraham was commanded to offer his son Isaac; nevertheless, it was written: Thou shalt not kill. Abraham, however, did not refuse, and it was accounted unto him for righteousness.

When and where was this law written down?
So no lds can answer this question?

That's odd. A law was written down during the time of Abraham, 650 years before God wrote the same law on the stone tablet for Moses, but no one knows where it was written.

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Lord is speaking to Joseph Smith in 1845; “Abraham was commanded to offer his son Isaac; nevertheless, it was written: Thou shalt not kill. Abraham, however, did not refuse, and it was accounted unto him for righteousness.”

It does not say who wrote it first or when just that it is written at some point. It does not say Abraham read the law just that Abraham knew the commandment thou shalt not kill which I already showed you because it was a command given to Noah and Shem.

However in the Book of the Jubilees there is the story of Joseph in Egypt and Potiphar’s wife

“….But he did not surrender his soul, and he remembered the Lord and the words which Jacob, his father, used to read from amongst the words of Abraham, that no man should commit fornication with a woman….”

It seems reasonable that if Abraham wrote down ‘thou shalt not commit adultery’ he probably wrote down ‘thou shalt not kill’ also.

Now here’s the interesting point Joseph Smith would have never read the Book of Jubilees, he would have had no idea that anyone thought Abraham wrote anything.

I found another interesting point in a paper written by E. Douglas Clark

A Prologue to Genesis Moses 1 in Light of Jewish Traditions

“....The prevailing academic theory of the origin of the book of Genesis denies Mosaic authorship, claiming instead that Genesis is a synthesis of several different source documents that were redacted or edited into the Pentateuch long after the time of Moses.

In contrast, ancient Jewish and Christian tradition insisted on the historical Moses as the author of Genesis and the other four books of the Pentateuch. This tenet was memorialized in the thirteenth century by Maimonides as one of Judaism’s thirteen Principles of Faith: “I believe with a perfect faith that the whole Torah
now in our possession is the same that was given to Moses our teacher.”
Modern scholars have similarly noted, “For the Jewish, and to an only somewhat lesser degree, Christian religions it is axiomatic that Moses, ‘our Master’, wrote Genesis.” Curiously, however, as pointed out in the Encyclopaedia Judaica, “Genesis
itself contains no information about its authorship, nor can any biblical passage be cited in support of a tradition concerning it.”

I never thought about it before, the Bible does not say who wrote Genesis, we all just assume it was Moses.

file:///C:/Users/Nancy/Downloads/45.1clarkprologue-ad7f44df-6a2f-4364-866e-df135fb3ccf6.pdf

Upvote 0

Super14LDS

Apr 8, 2016
USA
✟13,891.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You quoting Gen 5 does not prove your point. Moses wrote the book of Genesis, but you have no proof that records before that were kept or that Moses "condensed" any such records; only your "think"ing. The first recorded instance of any commandment of "Thou shall not kill" is when God wrote them down on the stone tablets for Moses, ~650 years after Abraham. This wasn't just some "piece of paper". This is supposed to be scripture that Abraham was following. His righteousness was credited to him because of it. Why would God repeat himself to Moses if it was already written down somewhere at the time of Abraham?

I don't have a problem believing the Bible, but the lds have a problem with their scriptures lining up with the Bible. This lack of evidence certainly is the lds problem, not mine.

There are 13 ancient history books that are mentioned and recommended by the Bible.
Ancient Book Of Jasher: Referenced In Joshua 10:13; 2 Samuel 1:18; And 2 Timothy 3:8: Ken Johnson: 9781438266756: Amazon.com: Books

Among them are The Book of Enoch and Jasher.

Where are those? :)

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Lord is speaking to Joseph Smith in 1845; “Abraham was commanded to offer his son Isaac; nevertheless, it was written: Thou shalt not kill. Abraham, however, did not refuse, and it was accounted unto him for righteousness.”

It does not say who wrote it first or when just that it is written at some point. It does not say Abraham read the law just that Abraham knew the commandment thou shalt not kill which I already showed you because it was a command given to Noah and Shem.

However in the Book of the Jubilees there is the story of Joseph in Egypt and Potiphar’s wife

“….But he did not surrender his soul, and he remembered the Lord and the words which Jacob, his father, used to read from amongst the words of Abraham, that no man should commit fornication with a woman….”

It seems reasonable that if Abraham wrote down ‘thou shalt not commit adultery’ he probably wrote down ‘thou shalt not kill’ also.

Now here’s the interesting point Joseph Smith would have never read the Book of Jubilees, he would have had no idea that anyone thought Abraham wrote anything.

I found another interesting point in a paper written by E. Douglas Clark

A Prologue to Genesis Moses 1 in Light of Jewish Traditions

“....The prevailing academic theory of the origin of the book of Genesis denies Mosaic authorship, claiming instead that Genesis is a synthesis of several different source documents that were redacted or edited into the Pentateuch long after the time of Moses.

In contrast, ancient Jewish and Christian tradition insisted on the historical Moses as the author of Genesis and the other four books of the Pentateuch. This tenet was memorialized in the thirteenth century by Maimonides as one of Judaism’s thirteen Principles of Faith: “I believe with a perfect faith that the whole Torah
now in our possession is the same that was given to Moses our teacher.”
Modern scholars have similarly noted, “For the Jewish, and to an only somewhat lesser degree, Christian religions it is axiomatic that Moses, ‘our Master’, wrote Genesis.” Curiously, however, as pointed out in the Encyclopaedia Judaica, “Genesis
itself contains no information about its authorship, nor can any biblical passage be cited in support of a tradition concerning it.”

I never thought about it before, the Bible does not say who wrote Genesis, we all just assume it was Moses.

file:///C:/Users/Nancy/Downloads/45.1clarkprologue-ad7f44df-6a2f-4364-866e-df135fb3ccf6.pdf

The Book of Jubilees is thought to have been written in the 2nd Century BC, about 2,000 years after Abraham. Nothing I've seen or read indicates a law was written down as you suggest above.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Book of Jubilees is thought to have been written in the 2nd Century BC, about 2,000 years after Abraham. Nothing I've seen or read indicates a law was written down as you suggest above.

But it speaks of his writings, how did Joseph ever know there was something like that?

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But it speaks of his writings, how did Joseph ever know there was something like that?
Speaks of whose writings? Do you know for sure that Joseph knew "there was something like that"? You seem to have already reached that conclusion. Did JS ever refer to any other writings which may suggest such a thing? He could not have read the Book of Jubilees in English, as it wasn't translated until after Joseph Smith's death. And Smith never demonstrated any competence in reading/understanding Hebrew.

Upvote 0