✟219,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
D&C 132:36 says (bold mine):

36 Abraham was commanded to offer his son Isaac; nevertheless, it was written: Thou shalt not kill. Abraham, however, did not refuse, and it was accounted unto him for righteousness.

When and where was this law written down?

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I couldn't find it, but I can imagine how absurd it would be. Cain had killed Abel --- I think that would have given Abraham pause, but we know that Abraham didn't want to lose his son, yet he knew that he should obey God. Can you imagine the mental torment?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
...that Adam personally possessed / knew this Plan?

Oh, yes, that's one of their teachings. After the Fall, Adam was taught the Plan and ordained to their Priesthood.

Adam and Eve were among our Father’s noblest children. In the spirit world Adam was called Michael the archangel (see D&C 27:11; Jude 1:9). He was chosen by our Heavenly Father to lead the righteous in the battle against Satan (see Revelation 12:7–9). Adam and Eve were foreordained to become our first parents. The Lord promised Adam great blessings: “I have set thee to be at the head; a multitude of nations shall come of thee, and thou art a prince over them forever” (D&C 107:55)...

Some people believe Adam and Eve committed a serious sin when they ate of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. However, latter-day scriptures help us understand that their Fall was a necessary step in the plan of life and a great blessing to all of us. Because of the Fall, we are blessed with physical bodies, the right to choose between good and evil, and the opportunity to gain eternal life. None of these privileges would have been ours had Adam and Eve remained in the garden.

After the Fall, Eve said, “Were it not for our transgression we never should have had seed [children], and never should have known good and evil, and the joy of our redemption, and the eternal life which God giveth unto all the obedient” (Moses 5:11).

The prophet Lehi explained:

“And now, behold, if Adam had not transgressed he would not have fallen [been cut off from the presence of God], but he would have remained in the Garden of Eden. And all things which were created must have remained in the same state in which they were after they were created. …

“And they would have had no children; wherefore they would have remained in a state of innocence, having no joy, for they knew no misery; doing no good, for they knew no sin."
Gospel Principles Chapter 6: The Fall of Adam and Eve

:sigh:

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Transgression, Not Sin
President Joseph Fielding Smith (1876–1972) said: “I never speak of the part Eve took in this fall as a sin, nor do I accuse Adam of a sin. … This was a transgression of the law, but not a sin … for it was something that Adam and Eve had to do!
The Fulness of the Gospel: The Fall of Adam and Eve - Ensign June 2006 - ensign

• Informative
Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
D&C 132:36 says (bold mine):

36 Abraham was commanded to offer his son Isaac; nevertheless, it was written: Thou shalt not kill. Abraham, however, did not refuse, and it was accounted unto him for righteousness.

When and where was this law written down?

No one can answer when or where this was written so that Abraham would know about it?

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
...that Adam personally possessed / knew this Plan?

Adam was there when the Lord said to the serpent or Satan
"And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel." Gen 3

They were being taught;
" Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;" Heb 2

Jesus was ordained to be the Lamb before the world even began. Why do you think they were offering sacrifices? They must have understood they were looking forward to the time the Messiah would come.

Peter says in 1 Peter 1
"Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls. Of which salvation the prophets have inquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you:
Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow"

There are scriptures which the Jews had which we do not have today and we believe a lot of what the law of sacrifice was about was lost when they began focusing on the letter of the Law instead of the spirit of it.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No one can answer when or where this was written so that Abraham would know about it?

Gen 9:5 & 6 God to Noah; " .....and surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man; at the hand of every man’s brother will I require the life of man. Whoso sheddeth man’s blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man."

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Gen 9:5 & 6 God to Noah; " .....and surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man; at the hand of every man’s brother will I require the life of man. Whoso sheddeth man’s blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man."
Where was that written down? D&C 132 specifically says "It is written...". Where?

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Where was that written down? D&C 132 specifically says "It is written...". Where?

You don't think Abraham knew that his great grand father Shem was commanded not to kill, Shem was alive and kicking when Abraham was born.

"This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him" Gen 5

I think they kept a lot of records and that's why we know how old everyone was. Moses condensed those records down to the first part of the Bible we have today. Now if you want the exact piece of paper it was written on that's your problem.

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Transgression, Not Sin
President Joseph Fielding Smith (1876–1972) said: “I never speak of the part Eve took in this fall as a sin, nor do I accuse Adam of a sin. … This was a transgression of the law, but not a sin … for it was something that Adam and Eve had to do!
The Fulness of the Gospel: The Fall of Adam and Eve - Ensign June 2006 - ensign

You view it as a sin when they didn't have the knowledge of the law or understand what the law was in order for it to be a sin. All sin is transgression but not all transgression is a sin

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I remember years ago that a couple of Mormon missionaries were through into jail because the were taking pictures of each other with their hand on the statue. That was against the law. They pleaded that they were innocent because hey were ignorant of the law. They had only been in the country for a couple of weeks. It did not matter. They said that ignorance did not do away with the crime. So the needed someon to provide mercy. That was where compensation came into it. They had to pay a fine and they had no money. Their parents saved them by paying the debt. And so it is with sin and transgression. Did the elders sin? No. They didn't know the law. But even though they were innocent of knowing the law they still disobeyed. No sin was committed but they transgressed the law. Same punishment as if they did sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You don't think Abraham knew that his great grand father Shem was commanded not to kill, Shem was alive and kicking when Abraham was born.

"This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him" Gen 5

I think they kept a lot of records and that's why we know how old everyone was. Moses condensed those records down to the first part of the Bible we have today. Now if you want the exact piece of paper it was written on that's your problem.
You quoting Gen 5 does not prove your point. Moses wrote the book of Genesis, but you have no proof that records before that were kept or that Moses "condensed" any such records; only your "think"ing. The first recorded instance of any commandment of "Thou shall not kill" is when God wrote them down on the stone tablets for Moses, ~650 years after Abraham. This wasn't just some "piece of paper". This is supposed to be scripture that Abraham was following. His righteousness was credited to him because of it. Why would God repeat himself to Moses if it was already written down somewhere at the time of Abraham?

I don't have a problem believing the Bible, but the lds have a problem with their scriptures lining up with the Bible. This lack of evidence certainly is the lds problem, not mine.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You view it as a sin when they didn't have the knowledge of the law or understand what the law was in order for it to be a sin. All sin is transgression but not all transgression is a sin

I accept the Bible as the true word of God.

2 Timothy 3
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

If God didn't care enough to preserve this instruction in righteousness, he is an uncaring god. My God cares.

1 Peter 5
7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

Upvote 0