When it says "replenish the Earth" in Genesis, what does this mean to you?

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
That reminds me of the decimation of the Earth by the great flood that God sent.
It also reminds me that there is still hope after such an event.
And lastly, it reminds me of God's great plan to create a New Earth in the future!
I can't wait to see it!!! :clap:

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟281,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Most people would equate that with an older Earth, that there was something there before Adam. How else do you replenish something if it isn't there before? Unless there are different opinions on the translation of this word of course.

The meaning of "replenish" at the time that the KJV was written often meant "full" and did not necessarily mean "fill up again". The KJV also translates the same Hebrew word as "fill" in Genesis 1:22. Furthermore, the Hebrew word used means "fill", so it is not implying anything about there being something there before Adam.

• Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,179.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That reminds me of the decimation of the Earth by the great flood that God sent.
It also reminds me that there is still hope after such an event.
And lastly, it reminds me of God's great plan to create a New Earth in the future!
I can't wait to see it!!! :clap:
I meant when "replenish" was used in Genesis 1:28. Long before the flood.

Another word used here is "subdue". Why would we subdue nature? It seems like an odd word to use. Perhaps the original Hebrew is more specific?

And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,179.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The meaning of "replenish" at the time that the KJV was written often meant "full" and did not necessarily mean "fill up again". The KJV also translates the same Hebrew word as "fill" in Genesis 1:22. Furthermore, the Hebrew word used means "fill", so it is not implying anything about there being something there before Adam.
It seems strange they would translate the same word in 2 different ways. Maybe the context was different.

Upvote 0

lsume

Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
from Strong’s KJV
Hebrew 4390
A primitive root, to fill or (intransitively) be fullof, in a wide application (literally and figuratively):--accomplish, confirm, + consecrate, be at an end, be expired, be fenced, fill, fulfil, (be, become, X draw, give in, go) fully (-ly, -ly set, tale), [over-] flow, fulness, furnish, gather (selves, together), presume, replenish, satisfy, set, space, take a [hand-] full, + have wholly.

Upvote 0

Sheila Davis

Nov 18, 2020
Houston
✟65,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
There are some that teach the correct translation on Genesis 1:2 is that the Earth became void and without form.
The usage of the word replenish the Earth along with Genesis 1:2 indicates something drastically happened that destroyed/broken up the Earth. Separated the waters and the land. Replenish to fill the Earth up again with life.

Jeremiah 4:23 he looked upon the Earth and it was void and formless and was no light

The Earth BECAME formless and void!

Bible Gateway passage: Jeremiah 4:23 - King James Version

It is a possibility that the war that took place in heaven also affected this solar system - and God repaired it _ possibly to serve the purpose as a holding place for the devil and the angels that were cast down to this planet.

Could the extinction of the dinosaurs be because of the heavenly war?

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most people would equate that with an older Earth, that there was something there before Adam. How else do you replenish something if it isn't there before? Unless there are different opinions on the translation of this word of course.

The problem is, it doesn't say replenish.

I believe you are reading Genesis 1:28 which in some translations says replenish.
KKV
28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth

Where in others it says fill
NKJV
28 Then God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it

I happen to like both the old and new King James so I would check the Hebrew.

ū-mil-’ū (וּמִלְא֥וּ) means "and fill"
So I would assume that the meaning of the word either changed or they realized it wasn't the best translation of the word in the older KJ and changed it to be more correct in the new.

You can also see how different langues translate here
http://www2.iath.virginia.edu/anderson/bible/gen1-3/genv1.28.html
Only the Vulgate says replenish.

People are always trying to add in words to try and make an old earth fit, it does not.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟571,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is one of my favorite ideas. That there was a first earth age. And the war between the Heavenly Host and Satan took place during that time. Which lead to a cataclysmic ending rendering the earth void. However, unfortunately, it doesn't have much much support in scripture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sheila Davis

Nov 18, 2020
Houston
✟65,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced

This is my second reply: from the Strong's concordance concerning Genesis 1:28 and the usage of the word replenished - which is a part of the definition of the Hebrew word used. The original writers had reason for using the word replenish - reason which would come from Genesis 1:2 concerning the meaning of the word "was" - according to Strong's concordance it can mean become, to break.
http://www.godrules.net/library/strongs2a/heb4390.htm

Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟147,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are some that teach the correct translation on Genesis 1:2 is that the Earth became void and without form.
The usage of the word replenish the Earth along with Genesis 1:2 indicates something drastically happened that destroyed/broken up the Earth. Separated the waters and the land. Replenish to fill the Earth up again with life.
This is what I believe.
Which lead to a cataclysmic ending rendering the earth void. However, unfortunately, it doesn't have much much support in scripture
To me this is what makes the most sense. It explains why the earth is dated to be extremely old, etc. As for scripture support, I believe the word "was" should be translated as 'became" in Genesis 1.God states in Isaiah he did not create the world without form and void. He created it to be inhabited. So I don't believe he created a wasted ruin. I believe it became that way.

Also in Jeremiah 4 he talks about Genesis 1 and states that he beheld the mountains and all the hills lightly. To me God was in fact, the "big bang" only it came from his anger during the time of Satan's downfall and all those who followed him. That's why some continents look like they used to fit together and so on. Everything shifted and was put out of it's place.

He also talks about that time in Job when he first set the foundation of the earth. It was the sons of God and the morning stars who were singing, etc. They were the ones there.

But I know not everyone will agree to that. But to me it answers a lot of questions like what happened to the dinosuars, etc. It all just fits.

Reactions: Sheila Davis
Upvote 0

Sheila Davis

Nov 18, 2020
Houston
✟65,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
This is what I believe.

To me this is what makes the most sense. It explains why the earth is dated to be extremely old, etc. As for scripture support, I believe the word "was" should be translated as 'became" in Genesis 1.God states in Isaiah he did not create the world without form and void. He created it to be inhabited. So I don't believe he created a wasted ruin. I believe it became that way.

Also in Jeremiah 4 he talks about Genesis 1 and states that he beheld the mountains and all the hills lightly. To me God was in fact, the "big bang" only it came from his anger during the time of Satan's downfall and all those who followed him. That's why some continents look like they used to fit together and so on. Everything shifted and was put out of it's place.

He also talks about that time in Job when he first set the foundation of the earth. It was the sons of God and the morning stars who were singing, etc. They were the ones there.

But I know not everyone will agree to that. But to me it answers a lot of questions like what happened to the dinosuars, etc. It all just fits.
I agree it fits. And yes God was responsible for what man is called the big bang. From my point of view the big bang came about when God said "let there be light." In images given there is always the burst of light at the moment of the singularity.

Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,179.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is one of my favorite ideas. That there was a first earth age. And the war between the Heavenly Host and Satan took place during that time. Which lead to a cataclysmic ending rendering the earth void. However, unfortunately, it doesn't have much much support in scripture.
Of course many civilizations could have existed on Earth in the past. And it probably doens't really matter since we can't control the past or change it in any way. Nor should we be able to because that would really mess things up!

The great mystery is why does God have so much patience with us? Why didn't He create us smarter, wiser, more adept at our lives so we make better decisions? To say we are flawed is the understatement of all time. Basically I don't know how He puts up with our deficiencies. We frantically race through our lives focusing on temporal things of zero real value only to arrive at our end with a gigantic Oops on our faces realizing we prioritized the wrong things and by a huge margin. How can He stand us? Then I look at very young children and how they are so endearing, how, no matter what they do, we will always be there for them, always supporting them, always loving them. Then it starts to make sense.

Its all about the value of life. And no person anywhere treasures life like God does. Every time we see adults break into a smile around young children that's another example for us. Another reminder to prioritize on what is really important. Life in Heaven. Everything, everywhere ends up either there or not there and you really don't want to be "not there".

Reactions: Ceallaigh
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟67,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Of course many civilizations could have existed on Earth in the past.
There was no civilization before Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. They were not given the whole earth, just Eden.
Genesis 2:15 Then the LORD God took the man and placed him in the Garden of Eden to cultivate and keep it.ch

The man is Genesis chapter one was a hunter-gather. The man in Genesis chapter two was a food producer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
KJV Dictionary Definition: replenish
replenish
REPLEN'ISH, v.t. L. re and plenus, full.

1. To fill; to stock with numbers or abundance. The magazines are replenished with corn. The springs are replenished with water.

Multiply and replenish the earth. Gen. 1.

2. To finish; to complete. Not in use.

REPLEN'ISH, v.i. To recover former fullness.

replenished
REPLEN'ISHED, pp. Filled; abundantly supplied.

replenishing
REPLEN'ISHING, ppr. Filling; supplying with abundance.

Definitions from Webster's American Dictionary of the English Language, 1828.

Upvote 0

Ragdoll

Apr 26, 2022
Madison, WI
✟22,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Not a KJV-Only discussion. But in order to understand old English, as used in the KJV, you need an old English lexicon. The 1828 Webster's Dictionary is used by scholars to crack to English of the KJV and other old English Bibles. In old English, "replenish" just means fill. So replenish the earth in old English is fill the earth is modern English.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟67,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
So replenish the earth in old English is fill the earth is modern English.
That makes no sense at all and it sounds like a scam. But in this day and age just about everything is a scam. RE in front of the word plenish means something. Because plenish means something. Also in the Hebrew the letter vav is added and this is the connection between Heaven and Earth. We know God wants to re establish this connection.

We see this again in Genesis 9:1 where Noah is told to "And God blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth." ū·mil·’ū There are a LOT of variations on this word. In this case God is wanting to restore the Earth and make it Holy again.

If you look at JUST the Hebrew letter that translates into RE in English you could write a book and tell the whole story of redemption and the work God is doing to restore the Earth. Genesis chapter one is JUST as much a part of the story of redemption as the rest of the Bible.

I am a descendant of Bloody Mary's first martyr who was a Bible translator even before they called it the King James Bible. We as a family rejoice that he was counted worthy to be Martyred for his beliefs and the work he did.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟67,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
The Bible Begins with: Genesis 1:1 "In the Beginning God created the heaven and the earth". Of course Heaven can mean a lot of things. Sagan & Tyson on the PBS program "Cosmos" tells us that we are star stuff. That the elements God used to make us came from the Stars. This is why GAP creationists say there is a large GAP of time between when God created the Heavens and when God created the Earth.

When Isaiah 13:10 says "For the stars of the heavens and their constellations will not give their light;" Of course, he is talking about a volcanic eruption. But he is also looking at us the church. Because we have been a witness and testimony for 2,000 years now.

Then you have the millennials who believe that a day is equal to 1,000 years. That the age we live in here on the Earth began around 14,000 years ago. Even though the Universe began 14 billion years ago. I live in an area that was covered by glaciers 14,000 years ago. But it is plain and clear there was something here before the glaciers. I have photos I took when they built the expressway along the river and you can clearly see the layers and what was here before the glaciers melted.

I am sure a day in Genesis chapter one is a literal 24 hour day, but I am not going to try to defend or explain that. I believe YEC, GAP & OEC & Millennialism are all true if they are properly explained. In Revelation 2-:4 we are looking forward to a time when for 1,000 years we will rule and reign with Christ. We are close to the 2,000-year anniversary of the church and the day of Pentecost when the church was established and filled with the Holy Spirit. This is why we are told that the Holy Spirit has to be removed from the Earth in order for Jesus to return.

John 16:7 "Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

Upvote 0