Pleasant View
✟8,129.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi everyone. I’m sure everyone has asked this question at least once in their lifetime. I’ve seen and read a lot of forums about this topic, but haven’t really found one that fits my situation closely. So, I figured I’d make my own post. Here goes:

I’m a 22 year old guy still currently living with my parents (I know, that may seem kinda old to still be, but bear with me). I am halfway through my fourth year attending college, studying automotive engineering technology. That being said, I’m fairly close to finishing a degree. If I had to estimate, I’d say another year or so. I have also been working during the summertime, as well as while going to college so that I will not have any debt once I finish my degree. It’s tough, but doable.

The main reason I am still living with my parents is so that I can save money for college and not have to juggle a bunch of house bills before getting a good job. Don’t get me wrong- I do still pay for a lot of things like my own gas, college tuition and books, at least half my food, etc.. I’m very grateful for what all my parents do for me. No doubt about that. But here lately, I’ve thought about the idea of moving out soon more and more frequently. I’m just really longing for that feeling of independence and freedom to get into a house of my own without the annoyance of my stepdad watching tv downstairs late at night on an extremely loud setting (currently happening actually), no pots and pans and cabinets slamming downstairs at 6 in the morning when I’m still trying to rest up for a full day of work and school.

My plan is to move out when I obtain my degree and start making some decent money at a job once I’m out of college. But, first of all, I want to follow whatever Jesus is telling me to do (which, I have not heard anything from Him yet). I just want to get your opinion about what to do. Should I stick to my plan? Should I move out sooner? Or maybe later? Thanks!

Romans 8

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟137,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The main reason I am still living with my parents is so that I can save money for college and not have to juggle a bunch of house bills before getting a good job.

^^ I believe you've answered your own question.

My advice, put up with the TV and the pots and pans. Buy some headphones and some heavy duty construction/shooting range ear protectors. I have tenants above me and I use them when I read. You're not too old to be living at home if you're in school. You're quite privileged to have that option. Take advantage of it. Good luck in your studies!

Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I voted the option to move out ASAP. As soon as possible, including financially. If staying at home means you can afford and finish college, take advantage. After all, families used to live their whole lives together before technology allowed for long range travel. However, as soon as you’re able to, move out. There is no growth like growing when on your own. And you don’t want to inhibit that kind of growth.

Upvote 0