When God, the Son, stepped down from his pre-incarnate form with the Father, before anything was...?

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟962,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
When God the son stepped down from his pre-incarnate form with the Father, before anything was, (made or came into existence) to an "incarnate" form to interact with man and his creation, from where he was with the Father and the Spirit, did he "lose" anything, did he become separated from God, the Father and possibly the Spirit...?

Comments...?

Peace,

God Bless!

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟962,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When God the son stepped down from his pre-incarnate form with the Father, before anything was, (made or came into existence) to an "incarnate" form to interact with man and his creation, from where he was with the Father and the Spirit, did he "lose" anything, did he become separated from God, the Father and possibly the Spirit...?

Comments...?

Peace,

God Bless!
The orthodox view of the Incarnation is not a step down and also God never exists in different "forms" in that view either. In addition the Three Persons, One God are not "parts" so one cannot separate God.

So no, in that orthodox view of God the Son does not no "lose" anything by becoming man, is not separated from the Father or the Spirit. He is both God and a man - two natures in union.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
did he "lose" anything, did he become separated from God, the Father and possibly the Spirit...?
Phil 2.6 who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. 8 Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

He limited himself to human frailty so He could be our example of how to rely on the power of the Holy Spirit, both in the miracles He did and in the sinless life HE led. Had he done any of that in His own intrinsic divinity, we could not follow Him because we are NOT divine.

As to being separated, on the cross He cried out "MY God, why have you forsaken me?" So there may have been a temporary separation between Father and Son while the sins of the world were on our Lord.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Phil 2.6 who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. 8 Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

He limited himself to human frailty so He could be our example of how to rely on the power of the Holy Spirit, both in the miracles He did and in the sinless life HE led. Had he done any of that in His own intrinsic divinity, we could not follow Him because we are NOT divine.

As to being separated, on the cross He cried out "MY God, why have you forsaken me?" So there may have been a temporary separation between Father and Son while the sins of the world were on our Lord.
God cannot be limited. Jesus is God. Not God lite.

Try singing a song while hanging by your arms. The words are from a song of victory and one Jews hearing would recognize, not to mention fitting for Him to be saying at that moment. Ps 22

"1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
Why are you so far from helping me, from the words of my groaning?"

"14 I am poured out like water,
and all my bones are out of joint;
my heart is like wax;"

"24 For he did not despise or abhor
the affliction of the afflicted;
he did not hide his face from me,
but heard when I cried to him.
25 From you comes my praise in the great congregation;
my vows I will pay before those who fear him.
ending:
"28 For dominion belongs to the Lord,
and he rules over the nations.
29 To him, indeed, shall all who sleep the earth bow down;
before him shall bow all who go down to the dust,
and I shall live for him.
30 Posterity will serve him;
future generations will be told about the Lord,
31 and proclaim his deliverance to a people yet unborn,
saying that he has done it.​

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
By us - no. But by Himself???

What do you think "emptied Himself" (literally "emptied himself of himself") means? And if HE did everything by his own divinity, then how does this apply?

Heb 4.15 For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
By us - no. But by Himself???

What do you think "emptied Himself" (literally "emptied himself of himself") means?
Here is a thought. Why not give the voice of thousands of years of Christianity a vote and say that an Infinite Supreme Being to become a servant of humanity is indeed "emptying" Himself?

And if HE did everything by his own divinity, then how does this apply?

Heb 4.15 For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin.
Again we should appeal to thousands of years of Christian teaching, not on our own attempts at understanding Scripture.

So it applies because God fully experiences our life without sin as a man. Jesus is both God and man. Two natures united but the human nature is not a divine puppet. He has a human free will, and the One Divine Will. As a man, He is a our high priest that has been tempted and resisted - a prime example for us done by His humanity with the assistance of God's Grace - just like He said we can do.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why not give the voice of thousands of years of Christianity a vote and say that an Infinite Supreme Being to become a servant of humanity is indeed "emptying" Himself?
That may well be a part of it, but it is certainly not the whole.

As to the "thousands of years" thing, there are so many things the ECFs got wrong, don't even get me started on that one.

Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

While certainly true it makes a straw man out of the comments it reduces.

Jesus was not limited by a body in his preincarnate state. All the things that humans experience in terms of negative emotions or related to the finite nature of being human, the Godhead first experiences through the incarnation. So I think this is what the OP is getting at.

"Self-same co-essential with us according to the Manhood; like us in all things, sin aparT." Chalcedonian Creed 451 A.D.

Jesus slept! Why? Because his body had limits. Jesus ate! Why? Because he had limits.

But after his resurrection don all those limits go away in his resurrected body?

It's a trick question. He will has a body. He is not bodiless as the HS and Father and He was (before the incarnation). It may be considered an eternal limitation taking on additional human attributes). So much greater the sacrificial nature of the incarnation. He is forever limiting his own existence for the benefit of mankind.

Now not all Christians agree with the Chalcedonian creed. And there are 1000s of pages written about this question, and a breadth of views.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Again we should appeal to thousands of years of Christian teaching, not on our own attempts at understanding Scripture.

I think that this is not a premise any Protestant would accept.

The Church Fathers gets some things right and other are heretical. At one time a father may give us great arguments for viewing scripture a specific way that still hold sway 1800 years later, other arguments by the same father were heretical the moment those inferences were shared.

No need for arguments from authority. "Four legs good, two legs bad," as it were.

There has been much propaganda in Christianity that passed itself off as, "Divinely Inspired," by both Catholic, Protestant and Orthodox theologians.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While certainly true it makes a straw man out of the comments it reduces.
Taken out of context as it was done here my comment could probably be taken many ways - am not sure how any of the other ways is relevant to this discussion.

In context that comment was to someone appearing to support the idea that Jesus Divinity was somehow limited and/or could be "separated" from God. So as a rebuttal to that idea, my saying Jesus is not "God lite" is neither a strawman nor is it reducing those comments being replied to.

I could agree that God's plan for mankind's redemption was never to fully demonstrate His Power. He asks for our love and the only love worth having is one freely given - not driven by awe/fear. But that is a choice He makes, not a limitation on Him.

Besides that choice by God to not fully reveal His Power (or Wrath) was not the other poster's point. Rather they seem to agree with you that becoming Man someone limited the Son's Divinity, a "step down" as another poster put it. If we choose to believe the Incarnation is God lite or a limited Divinity - then we have departed traditional orthodox Christianity and of course by association the teachings of the early Church and the Apostles.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus was not limited by a body in his preincarnate state. All the things that humans experience in terms of negative emotions or related to the finite nature of being human, the Godhead first experiences through the incarnation. So I think this is what the OP is getting at.
No one today, save Mormons I guess might speculate on per-existence forms/bodies, which by definition have limits. Certainly no one in this thread should be understood as suggesting the Son had limits at any time, except those falsely claiming that by becoming Man He is now somehow constrained in His Divinity. So unless one is Mormon or struggling with such ideas (which has Jesus limited "preincarnate" too), there was no need to address that "state". BTW, the idea of "state" in association with God/Divinity is also erroneous.

Because He is God, the Son has no limits and becoming Man did not create "limitations" for Him. The Son was, is and always shall be God. Since over two millennia ago, He is also and forever more a man named Jesus.

I think we tread on dangerous grounds to imagine God lacked full Knowledge of our experience until He became one of us. I can agree God experienced both a human terrestrial life and now a resurrected Life. I can agree that demonstrates His Love for us. But the need here in our Creation was not His, the need for His doing that was ours and born of His Love for us.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Self-same co-essential with us according to the Manhood; like us in all things, sin aparT." Chalcedonian Creed 451 A.D.
That creed says the Son is "consubstantial (co-essential} " with the Father, Perfect in His Divinity ("Godhead") and also "consubtantial" with us in His "Manhood". Chalcedonian Creed (A. D. 451) | carm
"our Lord Jesus Christ, the same perfect in Godhead and also perfect in manhood; truly God and truly man, of a reasonable [rational] soul and body; consubstantial [co-essential] with the Father according to the Godhead, and consubstantial with us according to the Manhood;"
All of which is just another way of saying Jesus has two natures, One Divine, the other human. Which is why I said the Divine cannot be limited, otherwise He is not really Divine - or at least not after becoming Man according to the heretical thoughts of some.

Notice where I had to go to find a copy of that Creed. If one reads the actual council notes the ideas behind those statements is made more clear, not that anyone here besides myself so far is really interested in what was actually taught, believed or defended by Church councils.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus slept! Why? Because his body had limits. Jesus ate! Why? Because he had limits.
Jesus is man and all humans have limits. I was speaking of and defending His Divinity, which can have no limits. That is the meaning of His Being God (and not “God lite” or limited)
But after his resurrection don all those limits go away in his resurrected body?

It's a trick question. He will has a body. He is not bodiless as the HS and Father and He was (before the incarnation). It may be considered an eternal limitation taking on additional human attributes). So much greater the sacrificial nature of the incarnation. He is forever limiting his own existence for the benefit of mankind.
Glad we’re at least on board with His still having a human body. Not everyone here in CT land agrees.

Again, if we believe as the Apostle, the early Church and traditional/orthodox Christians still teach today, the idea God can be separated or limited should be foreign to us. Another very foreign idea to Christianity should be that becoming Man means God made Himself limited somehow, which one might as well say He is not God anymore or that “part” of Him is not God anymore, since most of us agree God is without limits. Which again leads to another foreign idea of a God with parts and being separable/divided.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Now not all Christians agree with the Chalcedonian creed. And there are 1000s of pages written about this question, and a breadth of views..
Probably a lot more than just a “1000s”. At least “2000s” :wave:

As far as numbers go, most Christians are probably unaware there are hundreds, possibly thousands of creeds as well. So am no sure what point one thinks is made by citing just one.

In reading that history it would important to read it in context rather than in snips. Otherwise we get just as many versions of what they said/meant as we do the Bible verses thrown around today. So reading that council notes rather than a creed that came out of it would be more beneficial, as would knowing what error they were attempting to correct (mainly Eutychianism and Monophysitism I think).

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think that this is not a premise any Protestant would accept.
Sort of why the root of that word is "Protest"+ant. Again in context my comment was to a poster attempting to use Scripture as a rebuttal to my stand on the traditional/orthodox teaching about God, His Nature (One, Inseparable, No Parts, Not Divided...etc, Three Persons, Each God...etc. Incarnation both God and Man so not limited. The same verses have understandings compatible with everything I said which we can find in the recorded writings of Christians, the same writings that gave us the Trinity Doctrine. So it is not like those questions the other poster offered present a challenge to someone accepting all that tradition.
The Church Fathers gets some things right and other are heretical.
Exactly they are human. Which is why the extended and fuller tradition of all the saints/Saints is better because everyone gets to way in and eventually the human error gets resolved. Even if as already mentioned it occurs by the Spirit through the will of one Bishop against Arianism, a man who risked his life to work against that error.
At one time a father may give us great arguments for viewing scripture a specific way that still hold sway 1800 years later, other arguments by the same father were heretical the moment those inferences were shared.
Again yup, people are people. Doesn't take a genious to figure that out.
No need for arguments from authority. "Four legs good, two legs bad," as it were.
Actually the teaching is only three legs. And from an engineering standpoint, that is more stable than four anyway.
There has been much propaganda in Christianity that passed itself off as, "Divinely Inspired," by both Catholic, Protestant and Orthodox theologians.
Yep. People are people. Yet the Church remains.

Upvote 0