Visit site
✟84,089.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Though a sperm is living it is not a human being because it lack half its DNA.

A zygote doe shave a soul that it will eventually grown according to. Of course, that is just my opinion that seems rational to me.
Define soul.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you soul think?
I don't know what you mean. But is the soul any less present, complex or developed in a child than in an adult?

I would think not less present nor complex but still always developing.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,089.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know what you mean. But is the soul any less present, complex or developed in a child than in an adult?

I would think not less present nor complex but still always developing.
When you were a zygote, did you perform thinking?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When you were a zygote, what did your soul do?
Perhaps consciousness can exist without thought. Pure awareness.
And surely there must be a faculty higher than thinking.
Can God and angels think without brains?

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Define consciousness and thought
1 a:the quality or state of being aware especially of something within oneself

b: the state or fact of being conscious of an external object, state, or fact
c: AWARENESS

for a start and basis.

3 a: reasoning power

So consciousness can be thought of as a pure awareness whereas thought is a rational activity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
For a technical definition of soul, see What happens to your soul when you die?.

When does human soul life begin?

American Standard Version, Genesis 2:
7 And Jehovah God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.​

It seems that when a fetus receives a (detached) breath from God, it becomes a living soul.

English Standard Version, Ecclesiastes 11:
5 As you do not know the way the spirit comes to the bones in the womb of a woman with child, so you do not know the work of God who makes everything.​

Psalm 139:
13 For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. 14I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul [H5315 nephesh] knows it very well.​

Ensoulment:
In the time of Aristotle, it was widely believed that the human soul entered the forming body at 40 days (male embryos) or 90 days (female embryos), and quickening was an indication of the presence of a soul. Other religious views are that ensoulment happens at the moment of conception; or when the child takes the first breath after being born;[1][2] at the formation of the nervous system and brain; at the first detectable sign of brain activity; or when the fetus is able to survive independently of the uterus (viability).[3]​

When does consciousness begin?

According to this Scientific American article:
Consciousness requires a sophisticated network of highly interconnected components, nerve cells. Its physical substrate, the thalamo-cortical complex that provides consciousness with its highly elaborate content, begins to be in place between the 24th and 28th week of gestation.​

Elizabeth was pregnant for about half a year, Luke 1:
41 When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.​

Wiki:
Some early Christians believed that the embryo did not have a soul from conception,[11][18][19][20] and consequently, opinion was divided as to whether or not early abortion was murder or ethically equivalent to murder.[13][17]​

When does the human soul begin?

It seems to be somewhere between the time of conception to the time of full-term birth. If we don't know whether a fetus has soul life, is it okay to terminate it?
A "soul" is not something that someone possesses .... rather a soul is what a person is .... a living being.

Humans do not have a soul but are a soul (1 Corinthians 15:45; Genesis 2:7).

Genesis 2

7Then the LORD God formed man from the dust of the ground and breathed the breath of life into his nostrils, and the man became a living being.

There is no such thing as a "immortal soul" .... we are mortal and don't receive the gift of immortality until Jesus returns.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,089.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 a:the quality or state of being aware especially of something within oneself

b: the state or fact of being conscious of an external object, state, or fact
c: AWARENESS

for a start and basis.

3 a: reasoning power

So consciousness can be thought of as a pure awareness whereas thought is a rational activity.
Thanks for the clarifications :)

See How does God perform thinking? and follow up there.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,089.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A "soul" is not something that someone possesses .... rather a soul is what a person is .... a living being.

Humans do not have a soul but are a soul (1 Corinthians 15:45; Genesis 2:7).

Genesis 2

7Then the LORD God formed man from the dust of the ground and breathed the breath of life into his nostrils, and the man became a living being.

There is no such thing as a "immortal soul" .... we are mortal and don't receive the gift of immortality until Jesus returns.
So when does a zygote become a soul?

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So when does a zygote become a soul?

The Bible clearly indicates that God knows and regards us as unique human persons even while we are still in the womb (and even prior to that time): “For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother’s womb … My frame was not hidden from You when I was made in secret … Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, the days fashioned for me, when as yet there were none of them” (Psalm 139:13-16); “Then the word of the Lord came to me, saying: ‘Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations” (Jeremiah 1:4, 5).

It's difficult for us to understand God's complete foreknowledge about everything ... but He does indeed knows everything that happens before it does ... everything!

Judgement is based on one's consciousnesses (the ability to know right from wrong - only God knows this) ... it is not made known to us what happens to potential human beings (formed or unformed) before that time.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,089.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bible clearly indicates that God knows and regards us as unique human persons even while we are still in the womb (and even prior to that time): “For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother’s womb … My frame was not hidden from You when I was made in secret … Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, the days fashioned for me, when as yet there were none of them” (Psalm 139:13-16); “Then the word of the Lord came to me, saying: ‘Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations” (Jeremiah 1:4, 5).

It's difficult for us to understand God's complete foreknowledge about everything ... but He does indeed knows everything that happens before it does ... everything!

Judgement is based on one's consciousnesses (the ability to know right from wrong - only God knows this) ... it is not made known to us what happens to potential human beings (formed or unformed) before that time.
So a zygote soul can be sent to heaven or to hell without experiencing being born?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,089.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,769.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married