When does a Homo sapiens become a Homo sapiens?

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Personally I don't but I think CF rules have us respecting Christian beliefs here
I only know one place in the bible where it says we become a living soul

I'm not disrespecting Christian beliefs, I'm just asking they back them up :) As a non-believer, it would go a long way towards convincing me they are correct.

Upvote 0

quilbilly

Aug 7, 2012
✟8,100.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Tom White

Apr 13, 2013
✟447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think the OP already conceded that they had a misunderstanding of the term being used. I think at this point you guys are safe as it looks like your just talking amongst yourselves. :p

Yeah.

I assumed that "human" = "Homo sapiens", which is one definition but there are additional definitions I should have looked up first.

This argument comes down to the one you choose to use; I want Homo sapiens rights, others want thinking & reasoning human being rights.

So in the former sense, a "human" life does begin at conception, while in the latter it does not.

My bad everyone.

Upvote 0

Tom White

Apr 13, 2013
✟447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Tom White, I assume this means you don't wish to answer my question?

Yeah OK. Your question:

"In virtually all cases, operations have been taken to remove this arm, which kills this unique human. Tell me, how do you justify killing these humans, or are you in favor of granting these arms full human rights?"

Is one twin in this case complaining about the presence of the other parasitic twin's arms being attached to their body? If so, then that parasitic twin is aggressing against the other's property right - a human right. They should be separated with a minimal use of force. In this case, that is deadly force to one of the twins.

Reactions: yasic
Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Yeah OK. Your question:

"In virtually all cases, operations have been taken to remove this arm, which kills this unique human. Tell me, how do you justify killing these humans, or are you in favor of granting these arms full human rights?"

Is one twin in this case complaining about the presence of the other parasitic twin's arms being attached to their body? If so, then that parasitic twin is aggressing against the other's property right - a human right. They should be separated with a minimal use of force. In this case, that is deadly force to one of the twins.

And that's exactly what is happening with abortion.

Upvote 0

yasic

Part time poster, Full time lurker
Sep 9, 2005
✟14,558.00
Faith
Atheist
Yeah OK. Your question:

Thank you for your answer. As Skaloop mentioned above, what you describe is often the very way persons argue for abortion. How do you feel the two cases are differentiated?

Also just to be fair, in all documented cases of extra polymelial body parts, the procedure to remove them was done shortly after birth with no indication the child requested or desired the operation (in some cases the polimelial body-part was not actually harmful to the other child). Often the procedure is done at the request of the parents and not the child(ren?).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tom White

Apr 13, 2013
✟447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And that's exactly what is happening with abortion.

Nope, because it is usually being carried out without consideration of minimal use of force. Despite the fact that the mother could wait, give birth and give the child up for adoption... an unnecessary lethal approach is taken instead.

For comparison, say a man was a trespasser on your property. Does that automatically justify deadly use of force to bring about his removal? No, a non-lethal approach is used if possible.

We treat criminals better than we do the unborn. Both are Homo sapiens, which for me matters.

Upvote 0

yasic

Part time poster, Full time lurker
Sep 9, 2005
✟14,558.00
Faith
Atheist
Ok what about this option: The doctors can prepare a machine to provide a nutrient drip for the polymelial arm which would allow it to stay alive for a good number of years (A feat possible with today's technology). This would be less 'deadly force' than amputating that is regularly done. Should this be the preferred option?

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,323.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Nope, because it is usually being carried out without consideration of minimal use of force. Despite the fact that the mother could wait, give birth and give the child up for adoption... an unnecessary lethal approach is taken instead.

For comparison, say a man was a trespasser on your property. Does that automatically justify deadly use of force to bring about his removal? No, a non-lethal approach is used if possible.

We treat criminals better than we do the unborn. Both are Homo sapiens, which for me matters.

I have not heard of a high rate of success for serving a fetus an eviction notice. If we were forced to wait nine months to get rid of a trespasser who was consuming our resources and then had to go to the hospital, pass a watermelon through our urethra, and then sign a bunch of legal documentation I'm thinking the incidence of deadly force would be quite a bit higher.

Reactions: Jade Margery
Upvote 0

Skaloop

May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP

And the twin could wait until the arm dies on its own rather than take an unnecessary lethal approach.

But in the case of abortion, there is no non-lethal way to remove the "trespasser" in the vast majority of cases.

Upvote 0

Tom White

Apr 13, 2013
✟447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And the twin could wait until the arm dies on its own rather than take an unnecessary lethal approach.

Except you know that this is far less likely to happen; that arm is more likely than not going to stay as it is for the forseeable future, not drop off in less than a year.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tom White

Apr 13, 2013
✟447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have not heard of a high rate of success for serving a fetus an eviction notice.

Ha. Ha.

If we were forced to wait nine months to get rid of a trespasser who was consuming our resources and then had to go to the hospital, pass a watermelon through our urethra, and then sign a bunch of legal documentation I'm thinking the incidence of deadly force would be quite a bit higher.

Tough, you shouldn't just go and kill humans because they inconvenience and/or wrong you.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Tom White said:
Except you know that this is far less likely to happen; that arm is more likely than not going to stay as it is for the forseeable future, not drop off in less than a year.

How long, then, is a reasonable amount of time that a "trespasser" can stay before deadly force is acceptable?

Upvote 0

Tom White

Apr 13, 2013
✟447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How long, then, is a reasonable amount of time that a "trespasser" can stay before deadly force is acceptable?

Depends on the situation. Human gestation period doesn't normally last longer then 9 months does it? A definite end is in sight so she should wait that long (assuming things go smoothly; if the pregnancy is difficult and threatens her life, by all means kill the child.) As much as that may suck, at least no one is being unnecessarily killed.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,323.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

Sorry, my dry sense of humor gets the best of me sometimes.

Tough, you shouldn't just go and kill humans because they inconvenience and/or wrong you.

I agree. The issue here is that I do not see the fetus as being a person yet. It has no thoughts, feelings, or memory. Why should I elevate it over the bodily integrity of a woman who does not want it in her?

Upvote 0

Skaloop

May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Tom White said:
Depends on the situation. Human gestation period doesn't normally last longer then 9 months does it? A definite end is in sight so she should wait that long (assuming things go smoothly; if the pregnancy is difficult and threatens her life, by all means kill the child.) As much as that may suck, at least no one is being unnecessarily killed.

So you'd be cool with an unwanted person staying in your house for nine months?

Upvote 0