Mar 2, 2013
✟291,088.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
And there I was, enjoying liberty, family life, joining associations, moving freely about my country and expressing views contrary to government! I was just kidding myself.
Are human rights owed to every single human being?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I wouldnt go that far unless you want to posit nihilism.
Whats the difference?

Human rights are a moral judgement that we make about what we're entitled to from other people, as I noted earlier. If rights arent that, then what are they?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Whats the difference?

Human rights are a moral judgement that we make about what we're entitled to from other people, as I noted earlier. If rights arent that, then what are they?
You could probably make a rational amoral argument that establishing and enforcing a certain set of rights maximizes the average level of benefit or flourishing enjoyed by the affected population.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You could probably make a rational amoral argument that establishing and enforcing a certain set of rights maximizes the average level of benefit or flourishing enjoyed by the affected population.
For sure. And I believe that a lot of human morality (tho not all) originates in natural facts about what what kind of lives humans generally want.

But that territory has been well trodden in other threads. For the purpose of examining rights, morality could be naturally derived or God given.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Not by yourself, but with some friends, absolutely. Within our system of government, it's pretty difficult (though not strictly impossible) for one person to accomplish that, but voters can vote in new rights or vote away old ones and legislators can legislate in new rights or legislate away old ones. Regulatory agencies can do something similar, albeit on a much more limited scale. Your ability to own a gun, for example, only exists because the other side can't get enough people together to vote to take it away.

If we were in another country with different rules, then your power as an individual could be much greater.
What if my friends are Nazi Germany?

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,088.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Whats the difference?

Indeed, what are they apart from a set of rules people may or may not agree on. If they are only that then we are free to either accept auch a framework or reject it.

But in the end they are ultimately illusionary, artifical constructions not rooted in reality, nor can they bind the conscience. Hence why I don't put much stock into human rights.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Indeed, what are they apart from a set of rules people may or may not agree on. If they are only that then we are free to either accept auch a framework or reject it.

But in the end they are ultimately illusionary, artifical constructions not rooted in reality, nor can they bind the conscience. Hence why I don't put much stock into human rights.
I disagree that they can't bind the conscience. A long time ago in England they wrote this thing called the Magna Carta, which basically implied that although the sovereign is sovereign, he's not absolutely sovereign. He is to be held to a higher standard of fair play and justice than himself. This would have to be something supernatural. A bit later, the same thing was stated more explicitly in the American Declaration of Independence, which has had great influence throughout the world.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,795.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

In a TEDX talk years ago, Israeli historian Yuval Noah Harari made the startling claim that human rights do not exist.

[H]uman rights are just like heaven and like God: It’s just a fictional story that we’ve invented and spread around. … It is not a biological reality, just as jellyfish and woodpeckers and ostriches have no rights, Homo sapiens have no rights. … Take a human, cut him open, look inside—you find their blood, and you find the heart and lungs and kidneys, but you don’t find there any rights. The only place you find rights is in the fictional stories that humans have invented and spread around.

I find people like this narcissistic and all together illogical. The notion that human rights have no biological reality is in of itself flawed. The very nature of a human rights indicate biological reality. The biological reality of self-preservation. To create a condition or environment where your species will survive best.

All living beings have the inert desire to best survive. Ants & bees form hives, wolf form packs and so on. All these collectives have a set of non-physical rules governing them. The queen ant/bee have the highest priority while the rest are expendables. Alpha wolves get to lead the hunt and eat first. Dissect any of these animals you will find nothing but organs and fluids. Yet the collective rules are not any less real.

We humans as the most mentally capable (highest level of sentiency) of all livings creatures, will of course have more complex way to achieve self-preservation. We come up with rules where every human should follow to ensure that all individuals have the best chance of survival. We come up with ideas such as human rights. It is part of our nature (at least the majority of the species) to ensure maximum protection for maximum chance of prosperity; for both the collective and the individual.

Individuals who like to reduce everything to basic nature understands nothing about true nature. They only view things from the "mindless" perspective but nothing in nature is truly "mindless". Given enough time even the most basic creature will form esoteric ideals base on the need to prosper.

Upvote 0