Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
On the other hand, a church that cites as proof early Christian leaders who speculated that Jesus was miraculously born through Mary's side (!) surely aren't going to be phased by this little problem.
I never heard that, although I see the reasoning. However, Jesus was not the husband of Mary as Eve was the wife of Adam.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And that defines virginity by what? The hymen being stretched or not having a sexual relationship with a man?
I believe a virgin is a girl/woman who has not had sexual relations with a man, just as Mary said, and is still medically true to this day.
Not according to medical dictionaries:

Medical Definition of Virginal membrane

Virginal membrane: A thin membrane which completely or partially occludes the vaginal opening. This fold of mucous membrane is usually present at birth at the orifice of the vagina. In medicine, it is called the vaginal membrane or the hymen. Hymen is a Greek word meaning "skin" or "membrane." The ancient Greeks applied the word "hymen" to all kinds of membranes including, for example, the membrane that surrounds the heart (the pericardium). Starting in the 1500s the word was restricted to refer only to the vaginal membrane.

Medical virginity is an intact hymen.

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟838,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You are not responding to the OP. The hymen would have been broken by the head of Jesus at birth.
I did respond to the OP. They could've had sex to consummate after Jesus was conceived but before he was born. So, like I said, it would depend on when they had sex.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I don't think that there is any great theological insights to be gained from a discussion of Mary's hymen.
The Biblical miracle that the Virgin Birth refers to is that Jesus was conceived through the power of the Holy Spirit, and not through a one-flesh procreative union of man and a woman.
Virginity is also spiritually significant as an expression of purity and stainlessness.
Spiritually purity is not situated in the hymen but in the heart.

I don't know, but is it just me that finds something rather unedifying and even crass about talking about a ladies private parts, and the lady parts of the Holy Mother of God, no less?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I agree, but if we must discuss, there is one other matter that should be mentioned. I am referring to the fact that, while the doctrine of the Virgin Birth doesn't depend on the answer to the question here...the idea of Mary's 'perpetual virginity'/Mary as 'ever-virgin' does. That's why that 'birth through Mary's side' theory has been used.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not according to medical dictionaries:

Medical Definition of Virginal membrane

Virginal membrane: A thin membrane which completely or partially occludes the vaginal opening. This fold of mucous membrane is usually present at birth at the orifice of the vagina. In medicine, it is called the vaginal membrane or the hymen. Hymen is a Greek word meaning "skin" or "membrane." The ancient Greeks applied the word "hymen" to all kinds of membranes including, for example, the membrane that surrounds the heart (the pericardium). Starting in the 1500s the word was restricted to refer only to the vaginal membrane.

Medical virginity is an intact hymen.
Ask a doctor if the hymen is torn does that mean there has been sexual intercourse and therefore, a pregnancy could have happened. What are they going to tell you?
That was my point, not the medical definition of the hymen itself.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think that there is any great theological insights to be gained from a discussion of Mary's hymen.
The Biblical miracle that the Virgin Birth refers to is that Jesus was conceived through the power of the Holy Spirit, and not through a one-flesh procreative union of man and a woman.
Virginity is also spiritually significant as an expression of purity and stainlessness.
Spiritually purity is not situated in the hymen but in the heart.

I don't know, but is it just me that finds something rather unedifying and even crass about talking about a ladies private parts, and the lady parts of the Holy Mother of God, no less?
I agree.
The idea that virginity, especially in the case of Mary, imho, has absolutely nothing to do with the condition of body parts but a condition of faithfulness to God in that area of one's life.

• Friendly
Reactions: SolomonVII
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I agree.
The idea that virginity, especially in the case of Mary, imho, has absolutely nothing to do with the condition of body parts but a condition of faithfulness to God in that area of one's life.
Yet that is exactly the basis for the claims made by the church over the years--physical condition.

The idea of Mary as ever-virgin does not mean that she was always spiritually minded or pure of heart or anything of the sort.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I did respond to the OP. They could've had sex to consummate after Jesus was conceived but before he was born. So, like I said, it would depend on when they had sex.
Yes, but that is not the question of the OP.

"So the question crossed my mind while thinking about this, "If the head of the baby Jesus broke the hymen to come out, was that a blood covenant with Mary somehow?"

Did his birth create some kind of covenant with Mary? That is the question.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ask a doctor if the hymen is torn does that mean there has been sexual intercourse and therefore, a pregnancy could have happened. What are they going to tell you?
That was my point, not the medical definition of the hymen itself.
Hank, everyone is missing my OP question.

"So the question crossed my mind while thinking about this, "If the head of the baby Jesus broke the hymen to come out, was that a blood covenant with Mary somehow?"

The question is not what constitutes her virginity, the question is there a covenant with Mary created by the breaking of the hymen. I am going to add a post script to the OP because it is apparent that my question is not clear.

• Friendly
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, but that is not the question of the OP.

Did his birth create some kind of covenant with Mary? That is the question.
What does the scripture say? It seems to me that would be rather important.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It was to the Jews.

An intact hymen was evidence of virginity to the Jews, but not the definition of virginity. "Have not known a man" was the definition of virginity.

....but save for yourselves every girl who has not known a man. -- Numbers 31

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hank, everyone is missing my OP question.

The question is not what constitutes her virginity, the question is there a covenant with Mary created by the breaking of the hymen. I am going to add a post script to the OP because it is apparent that my question is not clear.

If there had been a covenant made, there must have been commitments made by each party. So what were those commitments?

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
An intact hymen was evidence of virginity to the Jews, but not the definition of virginity. "Have not known a man" was the definition of virginity.

....but save for yourselves every girl who has not known a man. -- Numbers 31

But Mary wasn't a PERPETUAL virgin as the RCC claims. After Jesus was born she knew her husband and had other children. She was just a virgin at the birth of Jesus.

Joseph was commanded to take her as his wife, but to wait until the child was born to be intimate.

Matthew 1
18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: After His mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Spirit. 19 Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not wanting to make her a public example, was minded to put her away secretly. 20 But while he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. 21 And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.”

22 So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying: 23 “Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which is translated, “God with us.”

24 Then Joseph, being aroused from sleep, did as the angel of the Lord commanded him and took to him his wife, 25 and did not know her till she had brought forth her firstborn Son. And he called His name Jesus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If there had been a covenant made, there must have been commitments made by each party. So what were those commitments?
Thank you. Excellent question. It seems Jesus took responsibility for Mary, especially if Joseph had died, when he told John on the cross, Behold your mother.

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Normally, that would be how the hymen would have been broken. Joseph was commanded to take her as his wife, but to wait until the child was born to be intimate.
I wonder, every woman was once a virgin and the first time she has sex, people stop calling her a virgin.

You took one word that doesn't necessarily, well wasn't used the way it was in your interpretation. You turned it into a command from God!

The word 'until'
  • 1 Timothy 4:13: Until I come, attend to the public reading of scripture, to preaching, to teaching. Does this mean Timothy should stop teaching after Paul comes?

• 1 Corinthians 15:25: For he (Christ) must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. Does this mean Christ’s reign will end? no! Luke 1:33 says, and of his kingdom there shall be no end."
5:21 should suffice to clear up the matter: "But when Paul had appealed to be kept in custody for the decision of the emperor, I commanded him to be held until I could send him to Caesar."
Does this mean that Paul would not be held in custody after he was "sent" to Caesar? Not according to the bible. He would be held in custody while in transit (see Acts 27:1) and after he arrived in Rome for a time (see Acts 29:16).

So you see the word doesn't mean that God commanded Joseph to have sex with Mary. It doesn't even mean she had sex with Joseph.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I wonder, every woman was once a virgin and the first time she has sex, people stop calling her a virgin.
You took one word that doesn't necessarily, well wasn't used the way it was in your interpretation. You turned it into a command from God!

The word 'until'
  • 1 Timothy 4:13: Until I come, attend to the public reading of scripture, to preaching, to teaching. (Does this mean Timothy should stop teaching after Paul comes?)

• 1 Corinthians 15:25: For he (Christ) must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. (Does this mean Christ’s reign will end? By no means! Luke 1:33 says, "he will reign over the house of Jacob foreverand of his kingdom there shall be no end.")
5:21 should suffice to clear up the matter: "But when Paul had appealed to be kept in custody for the decision of the emperor, I commanded him to be held until I could send him to Caesar."

No where does it say that Joseph never consummated their marriage bed. She was only to stay a virgin to have a "virgin birth." Once that was over, she had other children.

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No where does it say that Joseph never consummated their marriage bed. She was only to stay a virgin to have a "virgin birth." Once that was over, she had other children.
No where does it say that Joseph was to consummate the marriage bed. She was to stay a virgin dedicated to her only Son the Incarnate God.

Upvote 0