When did “consciousness” enter the Universe?

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OK, that's a very Buddhist approach. Yes, that kind of mindful focusing on the here and now may well be common in other animals (for some reason it makes me think of tigers!).
Ah, crouching tiger, hidden dragon. Buddhism is a good fit for a materialist neurologist like Austin. His stuff is very technical and for some reason I like it even though it is beyond me.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟729,729.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Its still a mind model initiated by intense focus on a particular state of mind.
In my experience with Meditation just the opposite happens in that the mind model follows the opened focus state of consciousness. In other words, the mind is constantly trying to catch up and make some kind of sense of what was just experienced.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,122.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
In my experience with Meditation just the opposite happens in that the mind model follows the opened focus state of consciousness. In other words, the mind is constantly trying to catch up and make some kind of sense of what was just experienced.
I agree .. but its still a mind model because if your head were to be instantly removed .. that focused state would have also been instantly from the universe, eh?

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟252,518.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I’m not gonna deny that my analogy wasn’t great, but I was only aiming at a section of the analogy, just the part that would make the person who asked the question roll their eyes at the answer and be like “Oh come on that’s not what I was asking.” That’s the gut reaction I get when a person calls squishy matter and a series of synapses the same exact thing as bone chilling fear that I’m feeling as someone chases me with a knife.

There is an explanatory gap when someone tries to say that physical/chemical mechanisms become alive and have experiential qualities, however this explanatory gap is not present when you are explaining physical sequences. A detailed explanation of physical mechanisms does makes sense, and it makes sense at every single turn. But the only aspect of the physical mechanism’s relation to mental phenomena that ‘Makes sense’ is the ‘When’ part. We can understand pointing to a certain stage of development and saying “That’s when it happens”, but what exactly it is, and how it happens is a gapping hole of understanding.

We know, more than we know anything, that we are conscious. So consciousness is therefore an undeniable aspect of reality. When we know that something undeniably exists in reality, and when physical descriptions runs into explanatory gaps when trying to explain them then there is either more to reality than just the physical, or we just don’t know enough about reality yet. But my problem with it being the latter is that I can’t even make sense out of what a coherent explanation would even look like! Physical mechanisms at some point being experientially alive, what does that even mean from a cause & effect standpoint where you’re analyzing each sequence? So IMO we have the meshing together of two different fabrics of ultimate reality. They correlate with each other very much so, but if the scientific method isn’t able to lead us to “Aha that cause & effect sequence makes total sense” then a physical cause & effect platform isn’t enough to explain everything in reality. I can’t see how adding 100 billion more physical cause & effect sequences to the process would somehow create a moment of “Ok now it makes sense that it’s alive.” Or a trillion, or 100 trillion. That is a reply that I see a lot, that just adding more physical complexities is supposed to give it explanatory power.

So the way I see it is that we know of two forms of knowledge, scientific based knowledge and experiential based knowledge. The advantage to experiential knowledge is that it is our most direct form of knowledge, but it’s disadvantage is that it’s easy to misinterpret. The advantage to scientific based knowledge is its incredibly impressive precision, but its disadvantage is that it is a knowledge that’s one level removed from immediate experiential knowledge. We can’t throw experiential based knowledge under the microscope quite like we can with scientific knowledge, its the great humbling factor that makes it impossible to ever have exhaustive knowledge. And I think that part drives some people crazy, they refuse to admit that we can’t close in on exhaustive knowledge. So they act like the second half of the equation doesn’t even exist.

I notice that Scientism is in the habit of chopping off sections of reality and claiming that they don’t really exist “If they can’t be assimilated into the scientific method.” If the scientific method can’t verify it you do one of two things…#1 claim that it’s not real, or #2 claim that A = non-A (squishy matter and a series of synapses are the same thing as (fill in the blank) experience.

Well written. And yeah, I get what you mean. And on times I find myself questioning what I think I believe. Catch me at the right moment and doubt creeps in. But in the cold light of day - or a rather cool mid morning right now, when practical matters are at hand, then the Dark Angel Of Materialism is sitting on my shoulder watching what I type, keeping me on the straight and narrow.

But if I fire up the chimera tonight in the backyard and sit under the stars with some decent music and a glass or three of a decent malt then the Sirens come calling, talking of spirituality and things unknowable and the mysteries of life.

But people have been doing this since forever. Instead of a suburban backyard and whisky it's been a campfire on the plain chewing peyote or dancing oneself into a trance and thinking there must be something more than this. Something more than we can know.

Those Sirens are, of course, very tempting. But there's always that Angel whispering in my ear 'Stay away from the rocks!'

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟252,518.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You cannot open the brain and point to consciousness or even memory. You can only detect brain waves, electrical activity. Do you want to call that consciousness? How is it different from my computer?

You can't point to pain either. Or love. Or hunger. But these are entirely natural physical events. We just use a word that saves us having to explain those events and processes in any great detail.

I could write a whole book on the concept of money and how it is used to transfer wealth and goods and the value of labour and you'd say 'Hey, it's all about finance'. So we can use one word that describes all the physical aspects of wealth etc instead of describing all the individual aspects themselves. So we can point to money. And we can point to someone transferring the money and point to someone purchasing some goods which we can watch being produced. But we can't point to 'finance'.

Does that mean that 'finance' is somehow separate from the processes which it describes? Not at all. It's simply a shorthand means to describe those processes. But it isn't something in itself.

So consciousness isn't something in itself either. It's a term used to describe processes. So just as it's nonsensical to search banks and shops and wage agreements looking for 'finance' it's equally nonsensical looking at synapses and chemical changes and electrical charges looking for 'consciousness'.

Nobody talks about the 'hard problem of finance' because we know enough about monetary processes to be able to understand what we mean by 'finance'. We don't yet know enough about mental processes to understand exactly what we mean by 'consciousness'.

There'll come a time when we realise it wasn't a hard problem that needed to be solved. It was more a problem of understanding the processes so that the term is sufficiently defined and we all know what is meant by it.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟729,729.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
I agree .. but its still a mind model because if your head were to be instantly removed .. that focused state would have also been instantly from the universe, eh?
The focused state and mind model are different states that happen at different times in meditation. The experienced mediator won't even go into the mind model state about their meditation experience. For the Mystics that's the reason for the practice of negative theology.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟252,518.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Sorry about the minor book sale aspect embedded in this article. I still found it an interesting read that might relate to some of the discussions in this thread.

The Most Amazing Things About Animal Consciousness

Interesting article. I was checking out the book and it crossed my mind that I could buy it (despite a hefty Kindle price). Until I came across this in a review: 'Lanza is the new Deepak Chopra.'

Dodged a bullet there...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,122.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
The focused state and mind model are different states that happen at different times in meditation. The experienced mediator won't even go into the mind model state about their meditation experience. For the Mystics that's the reason for the practice of negative theology.
Sort of like smoking, or poppin' pills, eh?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So consciousness isn't something in itself either. It's a term used to describe processes. So just as it's nonsensical to search banks and shops and wage agreements looking for 'finance' it's equally nonsensical looking at synapses and chemical changes and electrical charges looking for 'consciousness'.
So you are nothing more than a processes?

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟252,518.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So you are nothing more than a processes?

Correct.

Edit: But which is like saying that the bottle of Lagavulin* I just treated myself to an hour ago (lockdown isn't all bad) is nothing more than the distillate from some fermented barley which has been left lying around in a wooden barrel for a few years.

*"Revered by connoisseurs and experts, Lagavulin is known as “the king of Islay”. It is an 'essential' Scotch Whisky that any connoisseur or enthusiast must have in their collection; one of the world's favourite Malt Whiskies. Aged in oak casks for at least 16 years, this much sought-after Single Malt has the massive peat-smoke flavour that's typical of southern Islay, while also offering richness and a dryness that turns it into a truly interesting dram. The Lagavulin 16 Year Old has become a benchmark Islay dram from the Lagavulin distillery. A gift for all occasions for lovers of peaty and powerful whiskies." https://www.malts.com/en-au/product...n-16-year-old-single-malt-scotch-whisky-70cl/

Roll on sunset...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟239,381.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Interesting article. I was checking out the book and it crossed my mind that I could buy it (despite a hefty Kindle price). Until I came across this in a review: 'Lanza is the new Deepak Chopra.'

Dodged a bullet there...
I thought Deepak Chopra was either an aromatic herb, or a 1960s Bollywood actor. How little I know!

Reactions: Bradskii
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You can't point to pain either. Or love. Or hunger. But these are entirely natural physical events. We just use a word that saves us having to explain those events and processes in any great detail.

I could write a whole book on the concept of money and how it is used to transfer wealth and goods and the value of labour and you'd say 'Hey, it's all about finance'. So we can use one word that describes all the physical aspects of wealth etc instead of describing all the individual aspects themselves. So we can point to money. And we can point to someone transferring the money and point to someone purchasing some goods which we can watch being produced. But we can't point to 'finance'.

Does that mean that 'finance' is somehow separate from the processes which it describes? Not at all. It's simply a shorthand means to describe those processes. But it isn't something in itself.

Nobody talks about the 'hard problem of finance' because we know enough about monetary processes to be able to understand what we mean by 'finance'. We don't yet know enough about mental processes to understand exactly what we mean by 'consciousness'.

There'll come a time when we realise it wasn't a hard problem that needed to be solved. It was more a problem of understanding the processes so that the term is sufficiently defined and we all know what is meant by it.
Thats really good. Similar to my point about "running", where we tend to noun-ify verbs, and then fool ourselves into looking for "the thing".

Your point is more like how we mistakenly try to reify descriptive categories of things.

The whole discussion reminds me of how much we're victims of language.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Correct.

Edit: But which is like saying that the bottle of Lagavulin*
Are you then an atheistic existentialist who might claim that it is we who give the only meaning to the world around us. It has no inherent or ultimate meaning?

Let me share my own view. First there is consciousness, call it God, or nature or some kind of Logos which casts dimensions of itself out into what seems to be inconscient matter. Why? Simply for the adventure, the creativity, the experience, of developing its long way back into full consciousness. From the One, many, then back to the One.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Seems ok to me(?)
I am sure you are not alone. I have had many discussions with atheists. But again, what makes "you" different form your computer other than more complex processes?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Are you then an atheistic existentialist who might claim that it is we who give the only meaning to the world around us. It has no inherent or ultimate meaning?

Let me share my own view. First there is consciousness, call it God, or nature or some kind of Logos which casts dimensions of itself out into what seems to be inconscient matter. Why? Simply for the adventure, the creativity, the experience, of developing its long way back into full consciousness. From the One, many, then back to the One.
Not sure which I prefer (leaving alone which is real):

A. meaning only to the extent that we conscious beings apply it to the world, which we can amend as it suits us.

B. meaning built into the world, which we have to accept like we accept gravity.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟252,518.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Exactly.

Upvote 0