Visit site
✟1,356,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tuesday, December 27, 2016, 11:06 p.m. – The Lord Jesus put in mind the song “He Giveth More Grace.” Speak, Lord, your words to my heart. I read 1 Corinthians 4:1-13 (ESV).

Be Faithful (vv. 1-2)

This is how one should regard us, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found faithful.

What is a steward? A steward is a servant; an agent of another. He manages the property of another. He is one who is given a trust; an assignment. A trust is a responsibility, a charge, or a guardianship over something or someone. Basically, as servants of the Lord, we are all his stewards. We have all been given a trust – a responsibility or an assignment, as an agent (instrument) of God in his service. We have been given salvation, and the gospel, and God living within us, and spiritual gifts of the Spirit, and spiritual assignments (roles) within the body of Christ, selected for us by God alone.

So, we must prove faithful to God with what he has entrusted to our care. Regarding our salvation, we must walk according to the Spirit and no longer according to our sinful flesh. Concerning the gospel, we should be sharing it with others so that they can know how they can know Jesus Christ, too. Related to the Spirit of God now living within us, we must not quench the Spirit, but we must be responsive to the Spirit’s voice speaking God’s truths to our hearts, and we must respond with obedience. Pertaining to the Word of God, we need to be daily drinking in the Word and then doing what it says, and not be hearers only. About spiritual gifts and our assignments given us by God within the body of Christ, it is essential that we are being led by the Spirit, and that we are not trying to serve God in human flesh.

Human Judgments (vv. 3-7)

But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you or by any human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself. For I am not aware of anything against myself, but I am not thereby acquitted. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore, do not pronounce judgment before the time, before the Lord comes, who will bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart. Then each one will receive his commendation from God.

I have applied all these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, brothers, that you may learn by us not to go beyond what is written, that none of you may be puffed up in favor of one against another. For who sees anything different in you? What do you have that you did not receive? If then you received it, why do you boast as if you did not receive it?

Paul had been addressing the Corinthian believers concerning quarrels and fights among them, prompted by the fact that they were making idols of men, and that they were raising one preacher (servant) above another. So, he attempted to correct their thinking, and to point them back to Jesus Christ as the one they should be following, not human beings. He let them know that all God’s servants are just servants of the Lord, doing his bidding, and being faithful to the tasks they were assigned, and nothing more. And, he also reminded them that it is God/Jesus who makes things grow, i.e. who brings the increase. We can do none of what God has assigned us in our own willpower and strength, but only in the power and strength of the Lord.

In the process, he also made a distinction between the wisdom of men and the wisdom and power of God. He said that God made foolish the wisdom of the world. He basically let them know that God doesn’t think like we do. He doesn’t evaluate other humans with human logic and reasoning. Those that humans might choose, God might reject, while those God might choose for his service, humans might reject and treat as though they are trash. So, what he was trying to say here, I believe, is that we should not judge other humans by human standards, i.e. not by today’s culture and values nor by our own personal preferences and prejudices. But, we should make all evaluations (examinations) according to the truths written in God’s word.

As well, he appears to have addressed here the problem of spiritual pride, i.e. the lack of true humility in service to our Lord. So, he brought things into perspective for them. All that we have that is good is from God, and not from ourselves, so we have no reason to brag over what has been given us, and about which we had no part in attaining, i.e. we don’t earn our own salvation or our own giftedness. We don’t choose our own roles within the body of Christ, either, so if God should choose to use one (or some) of us in a way that is different from others, who are we to act as though we did not receive this from God, and that we somehow did this in our own strength? We should always give God the glory for whatever good he does in and through our lives, which is for his purposes and for his glory.

The Refuse (vv. 8-13)

Already you have all you want! Already you have become rich! Without us you have become kings! And would that you did reign, so that we might share the rule with you! For I think that God has exhibited us apostles as last of all, like men sentenced to death, because we have become a spectacle to the world, to angels, and to men. We are fools for Christ's sake, but you are wise in Christ. We are weak, but you are strong. You are held in honor, but we in disrepute. To the present hour we hunger and thirst, we are poorly dressed and buffeted and homeless, and we labor, working with our own hands. When reviled, we bless; when persecuted, we endure; when slandered, we entreat. We have become, and are still, like the scum of the world, the refuse of all things.

When we follow Jesus Christ with our lives, and we are faithful to the trusts we have been given, and we fulfill the roles he has assigned us within the body of Christ – all in the power and strength of the Spirit within us – there will be people who will not get us, i.e. who won’t understand why we do what we do, and are who we are, and they may judge us by human standards, rather than against the Word of God. And, they may hate, reject, persecute, accuse falsely, cast aside, or otherwise treat us with disdain, or completely ignore us, as though we do not even exist, because they do not regard us as worth their time.

Yet, when we are treated poorly, we should respond with love and kindness. We should endure persecution for the sake of the gospel and for the name of Jesus. We are not to take matters into our own hands, or to try to get even with those who despitefully use us. But, we are to forgive our persecutors. We are to love our enemies, pray for them, want good for them, and do good to them. Even if we are treated like the scum (refuse) of the world, we should not retaliate, but we must rejoice that we are counted worthy to suffer disgrace for the sake of Christ and his gospel. And, in all these things, our Lord Jesus will give us all we need to endure, to remain faithful to him and to the trust he has given to us, and to keep sharing his gospel, despite all opposition. His grace is enough to see us through any and all situations.

He Giveth More Grace / Annie J. Flint

He giveth more grace when the burdens grow greater,
He sendeth more strength when the labors increase;
To added affliction He addeth His mercy,
To multiplied trials, His multiplied peace.

His love has no limit, His grace has no measure,
His power has no boundary known unto men;
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus
He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again.

When we have exhausted our store of endurance,
When our strength has failed ere the day is half done,
When we reach the end of our hoarded resources
Our Father’s full giving is only begun.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Tuesday, December 27, 2016, 11:06 p.m. – The Lord Jesus put in mind the song “He Giveth More Grace.” Speak, Lord, your words to my heart. I read 1 Corinthians 4:1-13 (ESV).

Be Faithful (vv. 1-2)

This is how one should regard us, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found faithful.

What is a steward? A steward is a servant; an agent of another. He manages the property of another. He is one who is given a trust; an assignment. A trust is a responsibility, a charge, or a guardianship over something or someone. Basically, as servants of the Lord, we are all his stewards. We have all been given a trust – a responsibility or an assignment, as an agent (instrument) of God in his service. We have been given salvation, and the gospel, and God living within us, and spiritual gifts of the Spirit, and spiritual assignments (roles) within the body of Christ, selected for us by God alone.

So, we must prove faithful to God with what he has entrusted to our care. Regarding our salvation, we must walk according to the Spirit and no longer according to our sinful flesh. Concerning the gospel, we should be sharing it with others so that they can know how they can know Jesus Christ, too. Related to the Spirit of God now living within us, we must not quench the Spirit, but we must be responsive to the Spirit’s voice speaking God’s truths to our hearts, and we must respond with obedience. Pertaining to the Word of God, we need to be daily drinking in the Word and then doing what it says, and not be hearers only. About spiritual gifts and our assignments given us by God within the body of Christ, it is essential that we are being led by the Spirit, and that we are not trying to serve God in human flesh.

Human Judgments (vv. 3-7)

But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you or by any human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself. For I am not aware of anything against myself, but I am not thereby acquitted. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore, do not pronounce judgment before the time, before the Lord comes, who will bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart. Then each one will receive his commendation from God.

I have applied all these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, brothers, that you may learn by us not to go beyond what is written, that none of you may be puffed up in favor of one against another. For who sees anything different in you? What do you have that you did not receive? If then you received it, why do you boast as if you did not receive it?

Paul had been addressing the Corinthian believers concerning quarrels and fights among them, prompted by the fact that they were making idols of men, and that they were raising one preacher (servant) above another. So, he attempted to correct their thinking, and to point them back to Jesus Christ as the one they should be following, not human beings. He let them know that all God’s servants are just servants of the Lord, doing his bidding, and being faithful to the tasks they were assigned, and nothing more. And, he also reminded them that it is God/Jesus who makes things grow, i.e. who brings the increase. We can do none of what God has assigned us in our own willpower and strength, but only in the power and strength of the Lord.

In the process, he also made a distinction between the wisdom of men and the wisdom and power of God. He said that God made foolish the wisdom of the world. He basically let them know that God doesn’t think like we do. He doesn’t evaluate other humans with human logic and reasoning. Those that humans might choose, God might reject, while those God might choose for his service, humans might reject and treat as though they are trash. So, what he was trying to say here, I believe, is that we should not judge other humans by human standards, i.e. not by today’s culture and values nor by our own personal preferences and prejudices. But, we should make all evaluations (examinations) according to the truths written in God’s word.

As well, he appears to have addressed here the problem of spiritual pride, i.e. the lack of true humility in service to our Lord. So, he brought things into perspective for them. All that we have that is good is from God, and not from ourselves, so we have no reason to brag over what has been given us, and about which we had no part in attaining, i.e. we don’t earn our own salvation or our own giftedness. We don’t choose our own roles within the body of Christ, either, so if God should choose to use one (or some) of us in a way that is different from others, who are we to act as though we did not receive this from God, and that we somehow did this in our own strength? We should always give God the glory for whatever good he does in and through our lives, which is for his purposes and for his glory.

The Refuse (vv. 8-13)

Already you have all you want! Already you have become rich! Without us you have become kings! And would that you did reign, so that we might share the rule with you! For I think that God has exhibited us apostles as last of all, like men sentenced to death, because we have become a spectacle to the world, to angels, and to men. We are fools for Christ's sake, but you are wise in Christ. We are weak, but you are strong. You are held in honor, but we in disrepute. To the present hour we hunger and thirst, we are poorly dressed and buffeted and homeless, and we labor, working with our own hands. When reviled, we bless; when persecuted, we endure; when slandered, we entreat. We have become, and are still, like the scum of the world, the refuse of all things.

When we follow Jesus Christ with our lives, and we are faithful to the trusts we have been given, and we fulfill the roles he has assigned us within the body of Christ – all in the power and strength of the Spirit within us – there will be people who will not get us, i.e. who won’t understand why we do what we do, and are who we are, and they may judge us by human standards, rather than against the Word of God. And, they may hate, reject, persecute, accuse falsely, cast aside, or otherwise treat us with disdain, or completely ignore us, as though we do not even exist, because they do not regard us as worth their time.

Yet, when we are treated poorly, we should respond with love and kindness. We should endure persecution for the sake of the gospel and for the name of Jesus. We are not to take matters into our own hands, or to try to get even with those who despitefully use us. But, we are to forgive our persecutors. We are to love our enemies, pray for them, want good for them, and do good to them. Even if we are treated like the scum (refuse) of the world, we should not retaliate, but we must rejoice that we are counted worthy to suffer disgrace for the sake of Christ and his gospel. And, in all these things, our Lord Jesus will give us all we need to endure, to remain faithful to him and to the trust he has given to us, and to keep sharing his gospel, despite all opposition. His grace is enough to see us through any and all situations.

He Giveth More Grace / Annie J. Flint

He giveth more grace when the burdens grow greater,
He sendeth more strength when the labors increase;
To added affliction He addeth His mercy,
To multiplied trials, His multiplied peace.

When we have exhausted our store of endurance,
When our strength has failed ere the day is half done,
When we reach the end of our hoarded resources
Our Father’s full giving is only begun.

Among the most wonderful servant passages is Philippians 2, with the Lord Jesus as One Who 'took upon Him the form of a servant' (CF. Psalm 40: mine ears has thou opened = digged, i.e., pierced as a bondservant) and was obedient unto death, even the death of the Cross.

Isaiah 52 is very stirring also: "Behold, my Servant shall deal prudently; He shall be exalted and extolled and be very high".

Upvote 0
Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟16,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
In my layman terms it means - knowing your facing one of if not the worst, painful, shameful, public death, facing it with humility, humanity, resolute trust in what you believe and morally stand for. We all must die, the greatest gift, the unspoken miracle is to die without knowing its coming. To know your day, the way it would unfold, the excruciating pain, mental anguish and finality is too much to bear.

That is a burden. People say burden this burden that, life is not a burden. Your time of death, which he almost knew is the greatest burden of all. Mayby the only burden.

I think i would take pontious pilates freedom offer. To have the conviction and strength to know of moment of death and to deny himself that escape.

He did it. Why? I dont really know as im not jesus. What if he was a fool. Is it impossible for jesus to be Autistic, or clumsy or naturally shy, i doubt it because i think, i see, i visualise a perfect man. Pilate wrote him off as suicidal, herod called him a fool and he probably has met a few people to lead people, Gesmas or the other criminal were in disbelief as hugged the cross. But i would be trembling [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] not a fool, if i was about to get nailed to wood.
The word fool, really means he is perfect in mental and physical acuity because his choice seems foolish, why throw ur life away you have a stable future ahead. So jesus was being paid a reverse compliment. I dont think gesmas was a fool. He was already one.

Euthenasia would be debatable now after jesus died on crucifix. Im vague here, are christians permitted suicide and end of life decisions. If i was dying of cancer and had two painfull weeks left, why would i have to bear the burden that was jesus ultimate sacrifice. I thought he did it so we didnt have too. Surely having endured his last hours knowing death is cause for his commands to modify. Or are the laws of the bible final. No matter what, take death like a man. For faith. Faith only comes when it comes, children are exempt no. Does not jesus parable the innocent difference of children and to be good to them.

So yes i think jesus is very awesome. Not because of the key to heaven, not because im christian, i am not. If he had of folded and escaped death like we all would, he would be unheard of today and the world would be a mystery. However he was not the first person crucified, mayby he was trully an awesome guy, a leader, a innovator, charisma, good looks, honourable, descended from line of david kings, energy, inspiring and wize, intelligent, connected, medical and magical skills, a teacher, and to the very end a man of his word.

I suppose he was counting on resurrection. Its all worth it then. If you euthenase i gather you lose that deal. What if you have been a faithful christian for 80 years and you suicide 2 mins before natural death. Still no deal. Or a two year old child who cant even talk let alone have faith.

I think chistianity is in need of a tune up. It has obvious flaws in its sets of rules. Jesus says its easier camel needle eye rich man heaven (incomplete) but today wealth is accepted and encouraged. But, its ok to change that but not this. Says who? All it needs is a modern edit, not wholesale change. Im not a scientist either but its painfully obvious metallurgy and mining were up and running before and after christ died. Science extracted metal from rock which made nails to nail him to the cross. If science and christianity merged, you would have 2 billion more saved people. Science could also start proving the existance of jesus, god, alien lifeforms, ghosts. Or disprove??
Science and christians are so complimentary yet opponents for some reason.

Its a fact, science cannot disprove christianity but faith also cannot disprove science. Lose - lose.

Isnt the message simple. Jesus is remembered for miracles, parables,, healings, faith in god and lots i have missed. He chose a gruesome death instead, if he escaped death, his miracles and life work would be obsolete.

So unless the jews convicted him, jesus who? Pontius, he washed his hands of guilt. But he caved into the demands. What is truth? Truth is death.

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,356,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Among the most wonderful servant passages is Philippians 2, with the Lord Jesus as One Who 'took upon Him the form of a servant' (CF. Psalm 40: mine ears has thou opened = digged, i.e., pierced as a bondservant) and was obedient unto death, even the death of the Cross.

Isaiah 52 is very stirring also: "Behold, my Servant shall deal prudently; He shall be exalted and extolled and be very high".

Thank you! I love that passage! Such a great picture of what it means to be a servant.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you! I love that passage! Such a great picture of what it means to be a servant.
Yes it is. My wife and I are going through Philippians together at the moment, in fact.

As regards the imagery of the bondservant in Philippians 2 and Psalm 40, while some ppl today like to be negative about ear piercing, yet in Biblical terms it's actually linked at least symbolically to some profound doctrine.

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,356,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes it is. My wife and I are going through Philippians together at the moment, in fact.

As regards the imagery of the bondservant in Philippians 2 and Psalm 40, while some ppl today like to be negative about ear piercing, yet in Biblical terms it's actually linked at least symbolically to some profound doctrine.

Yes, it is. It has to do with willingly becoming a slave, i.e. by choice, not by force. It is a beautiful picture of what our relationship with Jesus Christ should look like.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,356,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

So glad to hear that you and your wife are studying the Word of God together.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it is. It has to do with willingly becoming a slave, i.e. by choice, not by force. It is a beautiful picture of what our relationship with Jesus Christ should look like.
Yes and although the doctrinal aspect is often lost today, Christians at least should today be able to wear their pierced ears with confidence; in a sense pierced ears can be a personal talking point towards some important doctrine, whether or not this is actively recalled. FYI, in her book 'A Heart for God', Elisabeth Hoekstra says:

"My ears had already been pierced once when I was a teenager, but I had each ear pierced a second time. Some could say I had the second holes done in response to a trend. But I know my heart's interest: I wanted my commitment inside to be seen outside. I wanted the second hole to be a sign of obedience and a mark of ownership. Like the Hebrew servants in the Old Testament, I opted for the choice of staying a servant with my Master. I wanted to serve Him for life."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,356,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes and although the doctrinal aspect is often lost today, Christian at least should today be able to wear their pierced ears with confidence; in a sense pierced ears can be a personal talking point towards some important doctrine, whether or not this is actively recalled. FYI, in her book 'A Heart for God', Elisabeth Hoekstra says:

"My ears had already been pierced once when I was a teenager, but I had each ear pierced a second time. Some could say I had the second holes done in response to a trend. But I know my heart's interest: I wanted my commitment inside to be seen outside. I wanted the second hole to be a sign of obedience and a mark of ownership. Like the Hebrew servants in the Old Testament, I opted for the choice of staying a servant with my Master. I wanted to serve Him for life."

That is nice. Thank you for sharing it. God works in our lives all in different ways to show us his love, his grace, and his mercy to us, and to give us gentle reminders of our commitments to him.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That is nice. Thank you for sharing it. God works in our lives all in different ways to show us his love, his grace, and his mercy to us, and to give us gentle reminders of our commitments to him.
YW. I myself have actually not worn earrings for a long time; and you yourself might have singles rather than the doubles that the lady in the quote speaks about; but I am reminded of the minor prophet who said "I have used similitudes" (Hosea 12.10) and certainly this subject does link in well with the deep Biblical theme of the Bondservant.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,356,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
YW. I myself have actually not worn earrings for a long time; and you yourself might have singles rather than the doubles that the lady in the quote speaks about; but I am reminded of the minor prophet who said "I have used similitudes" (Hosea 12.10) and certainly this subject does link in well with the deep Biblical theme of the Bondservant.

I have never been a big jewelry person. I was in my 30's before I had my ears pierced. I did well with them until the studs came out and I started using regular pierced earrings. And, then my ears got infected, so I put stuff on them, but the infection would not go away, so I had to stop wearing the earrings. It took a year or so for the ears to heal and not have liquid coming out of them. I tried going back to clip-on earrings, but it was painful to wear anything on my ears at this point, so I just gave up wearing earrings. Right now I wear my wedding rings, and I wear a dainty necklace occasionally, but that is it other than a watch sometimes. And, I'm good with that.

Oh, I tried contact lenses in my 30's, as well, but my eyes were too dry. I tried them for a while, because I really wanted to not have to wear glasses, but I kept getting headaches, so I went back to wearing glasses. I guess I wasn't meant to have pierced ears or contact lenses, and that is ok. :)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have never been a big jewelry person. I was in my 30's before I had my ears pierced. I did well with them until the studs came out and I started using regular pierced earrings. And, then my ears got infected, so I put stuff on them, but the infection would not go away, so I had to stop wearing the earrings. It took a year or so for the ears to heal and not have liquid coming out of them. I tried going back to clip-on earrings, but it was painful to wear anything on my ears at this point, so I just gave up wearing earrings. Right now I wear my wedding rings, and I wear a dainty necklace occasionally, but that is it other than a watch sometimes. And, I'm good with that.

Oh, I tried contact lenses in my 30's, as well, but my eyes were too dry. I tried them for a while, because I really wanted to not have to wear glasses, but I kept getting headaches, so I went back to wearing glasses. I guess I wasn't meant to have pierced ears or contact lenses, and that is ok. :)
Christsfreeservant:

Well, sorry to read of your difficulties! I think that actually the average size of pierced holes in ears nowadays is much smaller than in Bible times; indeed, the aul (or do you write awl?) that was used in the days of bondservants - male and female - would probably have made quite a sizeable hole compared with today. What I suppose could be done, if for example you still wanted the option of earlobes capable of carrying a pair of studs or rings for occasional special events, such as weddings, etc., is to try for a few days or nights wearing small non-metal tapers, with a not excessive gauge, in well lubricated existing holes, which would have the effect of gradually increasing the size of the holes. The holes might then be viable again, at least for occasions when you might think earrings are really appropriate.

(Just 2c...)

Blessings.

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,356,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christsfreeservant:

Well, sorry to read of your difficulties! I think that actually the average size of pierced holes in ears nowadays is much smaller than in Bible times; indeed, the aul (or do you write awl?) that was used in the days of bondservants - male and female - would probably have made quite a sizeable hole compared with today. What I suppose could be done, if for example you still wanted the option of earlobes capable of carrying a pair of studs or rings for occasional special events, such as weddings, etc., is to try for a few days or nights wearing small non-metal tapers, with a not excessive gauge, in well lubricated existing holes, which would have the effect of gradually increasing the size of the holes. The holes might then be viable again, at least for occasions when you might think earrings are really appropriate.

(Just 2c...)

Blessings.

Thank you. I appreciate your advice. The ear piercing holes have been closed for at least 30 years now. And, I am perfectly content not wearing earrings, as it has been that long that I have not worn them. So, I am good. :)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. I appreciate your advice. The ear piercing holes have been closed for at least 30 years now. And, I am perfectly content not wearing earrings, as it has been that long that I have not worn them. So, I am good. :)
Christsfreeservant:
Well, okay! I know it's a natural thing for some ppl even if they don't wear earrings daily, but when they go to a wedding or special church meetings, etc. for their earlobes suddenly to feel bare; but I guess you've gotten used to it. In the days of Biblical bondservants, the awl-pierced earlobe was to the world even something of a humiliation, although because it was a sign of willing, permanent service to a beloved master, to the bondservant it was instead of a humiliation a badge of honour.
I think our society - for those who feel they should participate in this practice -has retained the idea of filling pierced ears for special appropriate occasions as a badge of honour.
Blessings.

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,356,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christsfreeservant:
Well, okay! I know it's a natural thing for some ppl even if they don't wear earrings daily, but when they go to a wedding or special church meetings, etc. for their earlobes suddenly to feel bare; but I guess you've gotten used to it. In the days of Biblical bondservants, the awl-pierced earlobe was to the world even something of a humiliation, although because it was a sign of willing, permanent service to a beloved master, to the bondservant it was instead of a humiliation a badge of honour.
I think our society - for those who feel they should participate in this practice -has retained the idea of filling pierced ears for special appropriate occasions as a badge of honour.
Blessings.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this subject. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums