Status
Not open for further replies.

cougan

Apr 21, 2002
Visit site
✟8,856.00
Faith
Christian
:rolleyes: You amaze me LouisBooth. You keep on claiming that I need to study my bible more yet so far you are the one that made a error in proclaiming that the bible didnt state anywhere that Paul was baptized. I pointed the verse out that says he was in one of my previous post. :eek:

LB you have what I call the gift of Gab. You like to say a lot of things but they just dont hold water (pardon the pun).

Please correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me reading your posts that you beleive that baptism is baptism of the Holy Spirit and has nothing to do with being immersed in water. If this is what you are stateing please answer the following questions.

Acts 8:35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.
36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.

If baptism isnt of water then why did Philip baptize him in water?

Acts 10:44 ¶While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

If baptism is of the Holy Ghost and not water why in the world would Peter command these people to be baptized in water when they clearly had the Holy Ghost?

You would have to reword the following verse this way. John 3:5  Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of Spirit(instead of water) and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

:p You want to know why the bible doesnt start talking about baptism in the first few chapters of Romans. Well you see LB would it not be more apropriate to talk about faith first. If you do not have faith the very first step of salvation then your sure not going to get anywhere by telling people that they need to confess,repent, or be baptized without first talking about faith. The whole new covenant is based on faith. Instead of quibbling about the order the verses are in maybe we should just go by the whole council of God. If you look at the begining of the chruch in Act 2 you will see immediately after the people belived they asked what they should do and Peter told them to repent and be baptized for the remisson of sin. You never find where they schedual a baptism because baptism was alway urgent to those that believed.

I would like to ask a question to those of you that quote the Old Testemant examples as a desprate attempt to justify your faith only view. Why are you useing OT examples when the people during the time before Jesus death were under a different system than what we are under now?

Of course the people under the old covenant were not baptized into Jesus because it wasnt commanded until the day of Pentacost in Acts 2. This is just 1 reason of many. IThe OT brought us to Christ and it teaches time and time again Faith, obedience, action. Just take a look at Noah for one he had faith in God he was obedient and took action and built the ark then he was saved from the flood due to his obedience. The walls of Jerrico came down because they had faith in God Obedience and action as the marched around the city and shouted on the last day. The walls fell down due to their obedience of faith. The list could go on and on. You see this pattern in the new covenant as well. You have faith in God then you have obedience and action as you repent and confess and are baptized in water as a result of your obedience to faith your sins are removed and you are added to the body of christ by God.
Take a look at the following verses.

Hebrews 5:9  And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

Romans 1:3  Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;
4  And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:
5  By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name:

Romans 6:17  But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
18  Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

It greatly saddens me that you dismiss my very strong and clear arguement about the plan of salvation. I hope that you at least give what I have presented some thought instead of responding with preconceived ideas. Thanks for all of your responses. :wave:

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"If baptism isnt of water then why did Philip baptize him in water? "

Like any other ritual, its a physical representation of a spiritual event. :)

I want to know why is it that faith is ALWAYS the factor talked about in EVERY discussion of salvation, baptism is not. For example a huge chunk of hebrews deals with examples of faith, not baptism. In John Christ very clearly states numerious times that it is faith needed, and doesn't mention baptism at all (water ritual). Why is this. In addition to this we have many examples of those NOT being baptised. The baptiser for instance..when was he baptised? If it was so important, it would have been written down. Along with a few others baptismal times.

"Why are you useing OT examples when the people during the time before Jesus death were under a different system than what we are under now?
"
*sigh* Where do you think the teachings of Paul, Christ and every other apposlile is founded bro? THE OLD TESTIMENT.

"Of course the people under the old covenant were not baptized into Jesus because it wasnt commanded until the day of Pentacost in Acts 2. "

Wrong again ;) They were under the law and had to be absolved for the same sins we do. How was this done, by a ritualistic sacrifice and hope in the promice of a savior. Christ is my sacrifice to cover my sins, baptism is not.

"It greatly saddens me that you dismiss my very strong and clear arguement about the plan of salvation. "

You mean the one you made by taking verses out of context and jumping around books?

Romans clearly says that faith is all that is needed..let me show you and we can end our converstation now.

Read chapter 4 of romans. It is made very clear its faith that makes use right in God's sight.in chapter 5 it again affrims it by saying, "through whome we have grained access by faith into this grace which we now stand."

it goes on to say sin entered the world by one man (adam) and LEFT THE WORLD BY ONE MAN (Christ). Just before it goes into this it also says, "Since we have now been jstified by his blood..." I am justifed to God (ie absolved of sin) through Christ, not through some water ritual. We can look to chapter 6 and YOU say that because it says buried with him in baptism we should be baptised. This is FALSE logic because it also states that in the same way we should be, "united with him in his death by cruxifiction"? No, I dont have to be cruxified to be united with Christ in his death. It is pointing to the spiritual aspects of these things.

We are saved and forgiven of sins through faith, not by some water ritual. Hate to tell ya this. In ending our conversation now, we can just wait, because I know friends that are christians that are not baptised, and I'll introduce you to them in heaven. :) THE END.

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
" You want to know why the bible doesnt start talking about baptism in the first few chapters of Romans. Well you see LB would it not be more apropriate to talk about faith first. "

I also thought it was funny how you had to rationalize this to get it to congel with your view *chuckles*

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
oh..just because you said you wanted verses..

1Pe 1:5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

2Ti 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

Act 26:18 To open their eyes, [and] to turn [them] from darkness to light, and [from] the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

Rom 3:22 Even the righteousness of God [which is] by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

Rom 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster [to bring us] unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

Phl 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

Hebrews chapter 11

That's the short list :)

Upvote 0

cougan

Apr 21, 2002
Visit site
✟8,856.00
Faith
Christian
If water baptism isnt part of salvation then why do we see when people hear the truth of Jesus that they were imediatly baptized?

You can huff and puff but you can not denny that Pauls sins were not washed away until he was baptized.
Acts 22:16  And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

I still want to know the answer from my above post.If baptism is of the Holy Ghost and not water why in the world would Peter command these people to be baptized in water when they clearly had the Holy Ghost?

Notice that the bible teaches that there is only one baptism. Ephesians 4:5  one Lord, one faith, one baptism,

Heres you another example to chew on LB notice the following verses:
Acts 8:12  But when they believed Philip preaching good tidings concerning the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
13  And Simon also himself believed: and being baptized, he continued with Philip; and beholding signs and great miracles wrought, he was amazed.
14  ¶Now when the apostles that were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
15  who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Spirit:
16  for as yet it was fallen upon none of them: only they had been baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus.
17  Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

UH OH I guess we will see what kind of back peddling you will do with this section of scripture. Notice Philip had preached them the truth they belived and were baptized into the name of Jesus but they did not have the Holy Spirit. This plainly shows that the one baptism is of water that puts you into Jesus. Futher you can note that the way these people could receive the holy spirit was by the laying on of hand by the apostles.

You say you thought it was funny how I rationlize my answer to your question why faith is talked about so much. I answered your question very well I think or would you deny that faith is the first step of salvation. Would it make logical sense to confess christ or repent or be baptized into christ if you dont first beleive in him. You know very well from my previous post that I beleieve faith is essential to salvation. In fact I told you that you have to have grace, faith, confess Jesus as Lord, repent and be baptized in order to get into christ, have your sins washed away, and have God add you to the church.

I will say LB I do appreciate your comments and the time you have spent attempting to correct me. I will hope and pray that you will see the light. :)

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"I still want to know the answer from my above post.If baptism is of the Holy Ghost and not water why in the world would Peter command these people to be baptized in water when they clearly had the Holy Ghost? "

To identify them to the church.
As for that verse *laughs* it proves that you don't need baptism to get the Holy spirit...thanks for the help :) I also refer you to the short list of verses I posted that ALL talk about faith is the way to salvation. I can add more if you want?

Upvote 0

cougan

Apr 21, 2002
Visit site
✟8,856.00
Faith
Christian
Once again LB dodges my questions and just make some comment to make light of the truth. I do not disagree with your short list of verses on how faith leads you to salvation. I could list a ton myself. I dont think your paying attention to my post or you would know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I belive that faith does save you and is abosultly necessary. I just dont belive the bible teaches faith only. Remember its faith, obedience, action.

I would like to know if you think that you can be saved without confessing Jesus as Lord or repenting?

Perhaps you will shed your wisdom on the verses of my last post. By the way I didnt help you prove anything with the Cornelius household. If want me to elobrate I will. If it were still possible to prophecy today I would say that you will not touch top, bottom, or the side of my unanswered arguments of these post. In fact you will probably continue to do your song and dance and just talk all around my arguements with out actually answersing them. Oh well I tried. You know how the saying goes.

Matthew 10:14  And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
This plainly shows that the one baptism is of water that puts you into Jesus.
--------------------------------

Acts 16:30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
31* And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

No mention of water baptism? It's all D-O-N-E at the cross my friend. Jesus cried out it is FINISHED! Our part is just to believe and receive.

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"Remember its faith, obedience, action. "

I agree, but not in the fact that I have to be bound to some ritual again. that is what Paul preached against to the galatians. its faith that gets me there, and faith that will keep me there.

Just answer me this. If baptism is sooooo important why did christ mention it only once or twice, when faith is menioned many many times? Why is that? Hmm..? because it only takes faith. You still have yet to reply to ANY of the verses. If you read my reply, I did reply to yours, but then again, maybe you're not reading close enough.

Oh, as far as the ephsians verse goes, that's wwwwaaaayyy out of context. It is refering to unity, not to ritual water baptism vs. baptism of the Holy spirit, or else John the baptise was a heritic because he speaks of 2 baptisms as does Christ himself...but then again, context doesn't seem to be your strong point ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
>I would like to know if you think that you can be saved without confessing Jesus as Lord or repenting?<

Repentance is a necessary part of real faith, and confessing Jesus is an inevitable result of it, unless we live on a desert island. In Jesus' day water baptism was the way in which people showed their commitment to follow a person or cause, a commitment that they had already made. For Christians, baptism was a signal made by those already saved to others, saved or not. Today, it is not a reliable sign, because false teachers know very well that water baptism is much easier than commitment, just as circumcision was easier. Christians now use other tests that show whether someone has been baptised in the Holy Spirit, which is what Jesus came to do.

"I baptise you with water, but he will baptise you with the Holy Spirit." (Mark 1:8)

Stephen

Upvote 0

aforchrist33

Feb 19, 2002
Maine
Visit site
✟630.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Dear Cougan;

You asked "When are your sins forgiven"?

Forgiveness is not a question of "When" you will be but&nbsp;in "Believing"&nbsp;you are.

1. Jesus paid all sins past, present. future. = (Colossians 2:13)

2. Once. = (Romans 6:10)

3. For everyone. = (2 Corinthians 5:15)

4. Never to be charged twice for the same crime. = (2 Corinthians 5:19)

Salvation happens the moment we "Believe" Jesus died to pay for our sins and rose to show&nbsp;that the Father had :wave: excepted the payment. This is called justification by faith with nothing added to the payment. (1 Corinthians 15:1-4) (Acts 16:30,31) (Galatians 3:26) (Romans 3:28/ 4:5/ 5:1)

Upvote 0

aforchrist33

Feb 19, 2002
Maine
Visit site
✟630.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Dear Cougan;

You said ..... "His sins were not removed until they were washed away in baptism. " (Acts 22:16)

1. All of humanity's sins were washed away at the cross by Jesus death and resurection alone, without anyone's exceptence of water. We are saved "justified" by blood not water! (Romans 5:8,9)

2. Water was a futureistic act after salvation. (Acts 19:2)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.