When are your sins forgiven?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Bro',
The answer is easy - Why did John the Baptist Baptise?
Why did Jesus baptise? Why did the saints baptise? For the remission of sins! You are buried with him in baptism - baptism is a buriul of you old life - behold all things are become new - there is only One way - and this is explained plainly in Acts2:38 - repent, be baptised every one of you for the remission of sins and you will receive the gift of the holy ghost. Do it God's way and be sure - any other way - gambling with salvation!

Hope this helps, Love Paul.

Upvote 0

OldBadfish

Dec 30, 2001
Montana
✟12,709.00
When you accept Jesus as your savior.

Originally posted by allieisme
Well what if you sin after you have been saved and or baptized.....you know simple ones...like swearing or drinking or something like that?

:pink:
Well, we all sin and fall short, that is why Jesus died for our sins. Nobody is sinless, even after accepting Jesus! But...you must do your BEST to TRY to be sinless.

Upvote 0

E-beth

Senior Contributor
Feb 6, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
✟20,861.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I believe that all sins are forgiven the minute you ask for forgiveness, believing that God will indeed forgive you. A non-believer will not truly believe they will be forgiven, so believing in Christ as your Savior is a foregone conclusion. :)

Also, even though you are a Christian, and God forgives your sins each time you are repentant, you are still human and you still make mistakes. We all do. But God will forgive you, even for the sin that society might think is "inconsequential". Sin is sin to God (murder is equal to lying) and we need His grace to overcome all of it.

I can hardly fathom the span of His love for us. :)

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Non nobis domine sed tuo nomine da gloriam
Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
None of those. My sins were forgiven when Jesus died on the Cross. Every one of the choices you listed show a theme of what we do to have our sins forgiven. Our sins are forgiven (we are saved) based on God's Grace, not our actions. Otherwise, if you forget, in your haste, to ask for forgivness for a particular sin, then by that reasoning, it isn't forgiven. I was not regenerated into Christ and given a new nature, and thus started living for God, until my early twenties. But, the point of regeneration is different for each of us. It's God's Grace, however, that rescues us from our depraved, sinful nature and sets us on a path to righteous glorification.

God bless.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by allieisme
Well what if you sin after you have been saved and or baptized.....you know simple ones...like swearing or drinking or something like that?

:pink:
ALL your sins are forgiven - you cannot bring your old life back from the baptismal tank - it is dead to the Law of sin and death! From now on we must work out our own Salvation with fear and trembling - fear God and put away these simple sins aswell - we need to repent every day - examine ourselves every day - and remember - we have been made perfect by the Spirit - when we walk in the spirit we will not fullfill the desires ( and simple sins ) of the body. We are the children of God - He will bring us up in His way - as long as we are not disobedient children.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cougan

Apr 21, 2002
Visit site
✟8,856.00
Faith
Christian
Let me give you an example. A man who has fallen into the river screams for help. A man on the bank runs with a rope and throws it to the man in the river. He catches hold and is pulled to safety. What saved him? Was it his scream? Was it the rope? Was it the man on the bank? Did he save himself? Or was it all of these working together?

The answer is all of these things working together. Faith, repentance, confessing Christ, or baptism by themselves CAN NOT save you or make you a child of God. They are equally important but the final step if you will is baptism. If you want to take just parts of God’s word we can build a menu for you to pick and choose from like at your favorite buffet.

The word saves you.
James 1:21 Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls.
Grace saves you
Ephesians 2:4-5 But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved)
Hope saves you.
Romans 8:24 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?
Belief saves you.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Belief and confession saves you.
What is repentance? Change of mind that results in a change of life. Who should repent? (All) Acts 17 30“Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent. Why should you repent? (If you don’t you will perish.) Luke 13 3“I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish. 4“Or those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them, do you think that they were worse sinners than all other men who dwelt in Jerusalem? 5“I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.”
Romans 10:9-10 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
Baptism saves you.
1 Peter 3:21 There is also an antitype which now saves us—baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ

You see it is all of these combined that save you. If you will notice the theme through out the bible is Faith, obedience, and action in this order.

Question, when was Paul’s sins forgiven?
Answer: Acts 22:16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

His sins were not removed until they were washed away in baptism. This is when he came in contact with the blood of Jesus. Rev 1:5

When you are baptized not only are you sins forgiven you are added to the body of Christ which is the church (we are not baptized into a name of a church nor is baptism a means of becoming a member of a name of a church.) Col. 1:18, 24 Eph.1:22-23 1Cort. 12:13 Acts 2:41. So you can also say that when you are baptized you are put into Christ. Rom. 6:3(All of Rom.6 is a good read on what the purpose of baptism is for) Gal 3:27 and Mat. 28:19

Baptism is not a work of man.
Colossians 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

You see in this verse your faith working through your obedience by the means of baptism. Note its not the person helping you down into the water but it is your faith in the operation of God knowing that when you are raised up out of that water that your sins were forgiven and that you have put on Christ by being united with him in death and have been raised a new creature living your life for Christ.

I challenge anyone and everyone to produce 1 verse that says that faith by itself puts you into Jesus death.

STPAULOFHurst I would love to discuss the Holy Spirit but that is an entirely different topic. Unless that is you are trying to say that you are not saved until you receive the Holy Spirit like you did 10 years ago.

Please note that I am not trying to step on people’s toes or offend them. I am merely stating what the bible says. I study the bible on a daily basis and strive to learn from it everyday. I am not a closed minded person and am open to any correction if you find error in what I am stating. I don’t want to be found guilty of mishandling Gods word. I have tons more to say but will leave it at this for now.

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"The answer is all of these things working together. Faith, repentance, confessing Christ, or baptism by themselves CAN NOT save you or make you a child of God. They are equally important but the final step if you will is baptism. If you want to take just parts of God’s word we can build a menu for you to pick and choose from like at your favorite buffet"

I would say all but baptism :) Grace through faith.

Upvote 0

Wildfire

Feb 13, 2002
Visit site
✟954.00
excellent post cougan; I would like to add that when you become a child of God, and walk in his way; with him in your thoughts and in your heart, you will not sin.
I am not saying that you become <perfect> but in continuance of prayer and faith through him, you will not err.

There is a wonderful parable about this in Matthew 13: it is about the sower who went forth to sow, and the seeds that fell:
Some upon the way side, and were devoured by the fouls.
Some fell upon the stony places, and because there was no deepness of earth the sun scorched them and they withered away.
Some fell among thorns, and when the thorns sprung up, they choked them.
But others fell into good soil, and brought forth fruit.

<we> are all the seeds, Jesus is the sower.

And those seeds that fell upon the wayside, are those who hear the word of the kingdom and understand it not; and wickedness takes their heart away.
The seeds that fell among the stones, are those who hear the word, but without any joy, and because there is no root in them; there is also no <strength or faith> when persecution arises in the world.
The seeds that fell among the thorns, are those who hear the word but >because of the riches and cares of this world they become choked and unfruitful.
But the good ground where the other seeds fell, are those who hear the word and understand it; and they bear the fruit, and bring the forth the fruit, accordingly.

The <fruit> is the result of ones continuance of faith and belief in God, and how that is returned to him, producing the <fruit>.
Ex: if I am filled with goodness of heart, and I am charitable, and thankful, and someone were to ask me, perplexed, how is it that you are like that?
I am to say; because of my belief in God, and my love for him I am given all of these things.
You too can drink freely from the water of life.
If anyone is thirsty, let him drink.
If anyone has an ear, let him hear.

Wildfire

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Reformationist

Non nobis domine sed tuo nomine da gloriam
Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by cougan
You see it is all of these combined that save you. If you will notice the theme through out the bible is Faith, obedience, and action in this order.

I believe it to be in this order:

Salvation by God, faith, obedience, and action.

God bless.

Upvote 0

Blackhawk

Monkey Boy
Feb 5, 2002
Ft. Worth, tx
Visit site
✟22,925.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
allieisme,

"Well what if you sin after you have been saved and or baptized.....you know simple ones...like swearing or drinking or something like that?"

you know i think it was Tertullian that believed that if you sinned after Baptism you could like repent again once but that was it. i think he meant larger sins though. Not the day to day sins . But then again all sins are sins.

bh6

Upvote 0

Blackhawk

Monkey Boy
Feb 5, 2002
Ft. Worth, tx
Visit site
✟22,925.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
i think that one receives the forgivenss of all sins past, present and future. after these 3.

1. When you believe
2. When you confess Jesus as Lord
3. When you repent

Based on primarily Romans 10:9-10 & 13 but not completely on it alone.

The sinner's prayer is good but one has to have these in order to be saved. i guess the sinners prayer would be an outward showing of these 3 things. ocf course someone could fake it but they could not fake God only us.

BH6

Upvote 0
Baptism... are you talking water? Or of the Holy Spirit?

Water. The original question is at what point are your sins forgiven. Acts 2:38 explains what you must do.

I've been baptised in the spirit, but not in water. This means I'm forgiven of my sins (Thank you Jesus).

Again in Acts 2:38 it admonishes to be baptised in water also - otherwise Peter is a Liar........

John 3:16 - this is the worlds most mis-quoted scripture.
This is a discussion between Nicodemus and Jesus. You need to take the whole conversation into consideration
from the start of John 3:1 all the way through to verse 16 - just quoting verse 16 on it's own is incomplete and my reply to those who do this is this: - Is your name Nicodemus? No it isn't! You must be born of water and the spirit or you cannot enter or see the kingdom of heaven. I suggest if you have a problem with that verse that you take it up with Jesus. Please, please, please get Baptised in water also, I fear for you at this time,
Love Paul,

John 3:16 - "...that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish..."

Encouraging thought.

Upvote 0

Nick_Loves_Abba

Bulls On Parade
Mar 16, 2002
Michigan
✟9,662.00
Faith
Christian
:) Thanks for being scared for me :) But I've felt the Spirit before in me, convicting me of things I shouldn't do, or should do. Thus I have recieved the Holy Spirit. Which is a sign of my salvation. The Holy Spirit is now, my conforter, my guide, and my best friend among other things. How can I be doomed??

What do you think about this verse: Act 2:21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Baptism, in Act's 2:38, doesn't say in water. It says in the Name of Jesus.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.