What's your stance?

What's Your Belief?

• Theistic Evolutionist

• Young-Earth Creationist

• Other Creationist (Gap Theory, Old-Earth Creationist)

• Unsure

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
I would probably be considered theistic evolutionist. However, I have trouble labeling myself because I have never read formal definitions of old earth creationism, theistic evolution, and intelligent design, which to seem to describe similar things with extremely important differences.

Upvote 0

wblastyn

Jedi Master
Jun 5, 2002
Northern Ireland
Visit site
✟11,265.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I'm probably a theistic evolutionist, I don't really think it matters HOW God created everything, but all evidence points to evolution.

What I can't stand is creationists who think their interpretation of Scripture is superior to mine, and that I'm twisting scripture or not really Christian at all because I'm not afraid to see the evidence and accept it for what it is.

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
If Jesus and Paul took the creation account literally, then so do I.

I always find it strange how some people are scared of what science will find. Nature and the Bible both come from God.

I dont think u understnd what Creation Science is about. Creationists DO NOT deny the existence of the evidence out there -- like bones, fossils, etc -- they just interpret them from the angle and perspectiveof the Bible.

Upvote 0

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
Today at 02:48 AM Andrew said this in Post #9 (http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=658091#post658091)

If Jesus and Paul took the creation account literally, then so do I.

I dont think u understnd what Creation Science is about. Creationists DO NOT deny the existence of the evidence out there -- like bones, fossils, etc -- they just interpret them from the angle and perspectiveof the Bible.

The problem is I have yet to see a Creationist theory that does not ignore evidence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ray Cho

Ex Obscuris Lux
Mar 1, 2003
Visit site
✟15,154.00
     I am 34 years old.  For the first 33 years of my life, I was a die-hard young-earth creationist.  I was raised in a strong, fundamental church and was taught all the standard YEC arguments.  I even made it through medical school with my YEC views still intact.  Yet despite 12 years of higher education, I was never presented with the complete picture of the scientific evidence for evolution, nor did I bother to research it myself.
     Four months ago, I finally began to research the Creation-Evolution debate in preparation for a Sunday School study I was asked to teach.  My original intent was to present the evidence from both sides of the issue, and that, of course, the creationist viewpoint would win out in the end.  Instead, upon conducting exhaustive research, I found that the scientific evidence for evolution is indeed quite strong, while most of the arguments I was taught in support of YEC did not stand up to scientific scrutiny.  I found the diversionary and unscientific tactics of many creation scientists (not all, but many) particularly objectionable, and was rather dismayed for having allowed myself to be duped by the YEC movement for so many years.
     I sympathize with the intent of the YEC's.  If, indeed, it was possible to prove evolution to be false, many people might be led to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.  Unfortunately, I believe they are barking up the entirely wrong tree, and are doing a great disservice to the Great Commission by alienating scientists (and others) who would like to believe in God but can't harmonize what they know about evolution with the YEC's narrow interpretation of the Bible.

BTW, I believe the evidence for universal common descent is pretty overwhelming, but I still have tremendous doubts about abiogenesis.

This my first post on this forum.  Thanks for listening!

Upvote 0

Micaiah

Dec 29, 2002
Western Australia
Visit site
✟2,837.00
Faith
Christian
Arre you going to tell us what you believe or are you content to post criticisms of everyone else?

My own beliefs are as follows. Actually, it matters little what I believe, it is what God says that is important.

First I am a Christian who believes the Scriptures are the word of God. Since the Scriptures are the word of God they are true and reliable. This truth extends to all areas whether spiritual, scientific, historic, or other.

I believe that when all the facts are fully known, God's word will be vindicated. Until then I am prepared to trust God.

Upvote 0

Ray Cho

Ex Obscuris Lux
Mar 1, 2003
Visit site
✟15,154.00
Micaiah,
Thanks for the welcome. Are you sorry because you feel I am mistaken in changing my stance on evolution, or because I had to make the change after being misguided so long by young-earth creationists? Either way, there's no need to apologize or sympathize. My faith in Christ has not been the least bit affected by the adjustment in my scientific views.

Ray

Upvote 0

Late_Cretaceous

<font color="#880000" ></font&g
Apr 4, 2002
Visit site
✟18,025.00
Faith
Catholic
"I always find it strange how some people are scared of what science will find. Nature and the Bible both come from God."

Two hundred years ago science and theology were indistinguishable. The study of nature was explicitly to determine the nature of God. What two hundred years of science has taught us is that the nature of God is far more marvelous then was envisioned by bronze age goat herders (no slight to the ancient Hebrews, but they only had their imaginations, and limited understanding of the universe, to rely upon). Like the saying goes "Not only is the universe more strange (or wonderful) then we suppose, it is more strange (or wonderful) then we CAN suppose. " The same goes gor God. We are limited in our ,not only our ability to understand, but by our short sightedness as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

wblastyn

Jedi Master
Jun 5, 2002
Northern Ireland
Visit site
✟11,265.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Two hundred years ago science and theology were indistinguishable. The study of nature was explicitly to determine the nature of God. What two hundred years of science has taught us is that the nature of God is far more marvelous then was envisioned by bronze age goat herders (no slight to the ancient Hebrews, but they only had their imaginations, and limited understanding of the universe, to rely upon). Like the saying goes "Not only is the universe more strange (or wonderful) then we suppose, it is more strange (or wonderful) then we CAN suppose. " The same goes gor God. We are limited in our ,not only our ability to understand, but by our short sightedness as well.
Why don't they realise they are pushing people, who have a decent understanding of science, away from Christianity?

They think they're doing the Lord's work by fighting the evil evolutionists, when all they're doing is pushing people away because atheists/agnostics think you have to believe in a literal Genesis to be a Christian BECAUSE of the creationists.

If it hadn't have been for theistic evolution I probably would be a Christian anymore after learning everything I learnt in Sunday School was false and i thought you had to believe Genesis was literal to be a Christian. Then I decided to stop ignoring the evidence and was terrified because I felt my faith slipping away, but then I read up on theistic evolution and discovered many Christians believe in evolution and many theologins do not take Genesis literally.

Upvote 0

Follower of Christ

Literal 6 Day Creationist<br />''An Evening and a
Mar 12, 2003
✟7,754.00
Faith
Christian
17th February 2003 at 04:19 PM fragmentsofdreams said this in Post #10

The problem is I have yet to see a Creationist theory that does not ignore evidence.

Will you please be specific as to what evidence we are ignoring.
I have studied very adamantly both sides of this coin.

I can assure you, I have ignored nothing.
Including some of the fraudulent findings of your scientists

Please list what we ignore in your opinion.....

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.