France
✟127,953.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Me and my two roommates get along very well and we decided yesterday to buy three goldfishes. We asked for the permission the same evening, bought a second-hand aquarium and our fishes this afternoon. I HAVE A GOLDFISH!!! It may seem ridiculous, but I cannot stop smiling since we came back from the pet store. They are all Japanese goldfishes, mine is red and white. My roommates chose him a Latin name, as my studies are focused on Latin, they called him "arefactus" (it means "dry", a pun as you can see): I like it. We decorated the room with plenty post-its, we bought three mugs and a coffee maker. I cannot say how much I am fond of my little fish.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

thehehe

Oct 19, 2015
France
✟127,953.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Here are the goldfishes! Mine is the red and white. I longed after my cat stayed at home, but now I have something to care about!

Attachments

• IMAG0305.jpg
    IMAG0305.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMAG0307.jpg
    IMAG0307.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Here are the goldfishes! Mine is the red and white. I longed after my cat stayed at home, but now I have something to care about!

The aquarium looks charming! It's lovely to be able to have a pet in your room at school, even if it's not the kind you can pet. I think aquariums have a serene quality to them as well as being fun, so it would probably have a calming effect on me as well as making me smile. I wish we could have them on our campus! It would be even more awesome if we could have pets in our rooms, but they're not permitted either. A friend who goes to MIT was allowed to bring her cat with her!

Me and my two roommates get along very well and we decided yesterday to buy three goldfishes. We asked for the permission the same evening, bought a second-hand aquarium and our fishes this afternoon. I HAVE A GOLDFISH!!! It may seem ridiculous, but I cannot stop smiling since we came back from the pet store. They are all Japanese goldfishes, mine is red and white. My roommates chose him a Latin name, as my studies are focused on Latin, they called him "arefactus" (it means "dry", a pun as you can see): I like it. We decorated the room with plenty post-its, we bought three mugs and a coffee maker. I cannot say how much I am fond of my little fish.

Roommates you get along very well with are by far the best you could hope to have your in room at school. The most stylishly decorated room can never compensate for contentedness with the people you share it with. I'm living at home this term because of my internship, but am soooooo excited about living on campus starting in January. I'll be surrounded by friends!

Arefactus. :D The name is adorable. I love puns. Yay for the coffee maker as well.

• Friendly
Reactions: thehehe
Upvote 0

thehehe

Oct 19, 2015
France
✟127,953.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I've like to get a little aquarium like this one

Or this one https://www.amazon.com/Tetra-29008-...=UTF8&qid=1476234779&sr=1-8&keywords=aquarium
It costs less.
We were dreaming of one like this:

aquarium-bocal-preview-8211020.jpg

But even on a second-hand aquarium, it was way too expensive! Do you wish to buy goldfishes too?

Oh and I must say, I love my new life in Paris and mostly my quarter. There are many things I dislike in some quarters of Paris, but this one has a real soul, I mean it.. I think you have to live there to feel it!
But you know, for me to live in Paris has nothing extraordinary, especially for a student :p

@Stanfordella It is actually a residence outside of school. But you are right, I am very lucky. My roommates and I have very different personnalities and doing very different kind of studies, however I am sure it is the reason of our friendship. In fact all girls are adorable.
When we asked for the permission to have a goldfish, we were certain our responsibles would say no. Instead, they told us we should buy three! I needed something to take care about. And when I am depressed, discouraged and that I almost start crying, as it quite often happens currently, nothing is better that to melt your heart by admiring the goldfishes! You simply feel much better and can go to work again. Goldfishes are actually a better company than I could imagine.

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
We were dreaming of one like this:

aquarium-bocal-preview-8211020.jpg

But even on a second-hand aquarium, it was way too expensive! Do you wish to buy goldfishes too?

Oh and I must say, I love my new life in Paris and mostly my quarter. There are many things I dislike in some quarters of Paris, but this one has a real soul, I mean it.. I think you have to live there to feel it!
But you know, for me to live in Paris has nothing extraordinary, especially for a student :p

They are expensive! More expensive than I thought. You also have to buy other things for the aquarium, plus the fish. Goldfish are cute. Idk if I'd buy them or other fish. They're cute & I think they're less expensive too. Something nice & simple like the one in the picture would be fun to have, & easy to set up.

Upvote 0

thehehe

Oct 19, 2015
France
✟127,953.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
My goldfish died this morning. My roommate was feeding them when she noticed mine was dead.. I am very disappointed, I really needed something to care about. I don't have enough money to buy a new one, so I suppose I will only take care of the ones of my roommates... That is already good...

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
My goldfish died this morning. My roommate was feeding them when she noticed mine was dead.. I am very disappointed, I really needed something to care about. I don't have enough money to buy a new one, so I suppose I will only take care of the ones of my roommates... That is already good...

:( I'm sorry they died.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

@Stanfordella It is actually a residence outside of school. But you are right, I am very lucky. My roommates and I have very different personnalities and doing very different kind of studies, however I am sure it is the reason of our friendship. In fact all girls are adorable.
When we asked for the permission to have a goldfish, we were certain our responsibles would say no. Instead, they told us we should buy three! I needed something to take care about. And when I am depressed, discouraged and that I almost start crying, as it quite often happens currently, nothing is better that to melt your heart by admiring the goldfishes! You simply feel much better and can go to work again. Goldfishes are actually a better company than I could imagine.

I'm delighted for you that you're having such a magnificent experience in Paris. My school has a center in Paris, and I have a few friends there now who are cherishing every day. My brother took a "gap year" in between undergrad and grad school working for a company outside of Paris, and misses being there. I'm planning on applying for an internship at the US Embassy in France next year. It would be amazing if I land it. :)

It's lovely that you've been blessed with wonderful roommates. What's your living situation like? Are you doing a home stay with a family, living in residence hall, or in another arrangement? I'm sorry about your goldfish, but happy that you can take care of your roommates'.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums