What's your favourite 'Aussie' expression?

The Taylor 310

Taylor Evangelist
Feb 20, 2002
Valencia CA USA
Visit site
✟7,765.00
Faith
Christian
hello~

Wow... can't believe i actually understand most of wot has been said :)
It's not like i could translate it Aussie-to-Yank, but i understand it within meself... in a weird and unexplainable sorta way

i like 'Struth! struth mate! hehehe

i remember reading a little excerpt from a tourbook for Australia about the truckers that frequent the Stuart Highway and the jokes that they put on us poor Yank tourists... it mentioned about tall, towering bull dust that will swallow a 18-wheeler, or 50-ft tall roos. real funny stuff hehehehe

Upvote 0

Ruthie

Jan 24, 2004
✟182.00
Faith
Christian
We nicked off to the Big Smoke about nine years back, and I haven't heard this kind of lingo since then, must admit to feeling a little homesick for the Bush.

Somebody forgot the bit about Seppos also referring to the fact that 'they're full of .... ' *mischievous grin*

My favourite saying - If the dog hadn't stopped to lift it's leg, it would have caught the rabbit.

Billylids = kids
Bought the farm = died = kicked the bucket
Digger = soldier
Joe Blake = snake
Emu pick = picking up garbage
Galah = Idiot or small town in central NSW
Tree Hugger = Greenie = Conservationist
Wheelbarrow = unpronouncable name, so many letters that you'd need a wheelbarrow to carry them all
Dutch courage = having alcohol to make you less scared
Lou = toilet = Dunny = Dunnycan
Cockroach = Highway Patrol
Worth a quid = of great value

All I can think of for now...

it mentioned about tall, towering bull dust that will swallow a 18-wheeler, or 50-ft tall roos. real funny stuff hehehehe

They forgot to mention drop bears.

Ruthie

Upvote 0
B

Bevlina

Yeah...know what you mean Ruth about going to the country. Lived in it allmy life.
Most of the time I'm away with the pixies on the Bush Telegraph.
Lot of people bellyaching about something. May as well have a chin wag about it so's they can get it off their chest. But, some will keep you there till the cows come home. And, some are crook. Gotta do some work this arvo though.

Upvote 0

Wolflily

Saved by the Grace of God, thank you Jesus!
Jan 8, 2004
New Hampshire, USA
✟10,794.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"You TOO can learn to speak and understand Australian verbiage in just one WEEK!! For just $19.99, plus your first born child, we guaranTEE you will be fluent in contemporary Australian lingo in, I repeat JUST ONE WEEK!
Send money and baby via Airmail Express and upon receipt of your delivery, we will mail you one Australian man or woman (your choice) to spend a week teaching you everything you need to know about Australians...."

HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!! :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wolflily

Jan 8, 2004
New Hampshire, USA
✟10,794.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I will be DIZZY is more like it! You guys are fun to read, though - I think I get the gist of some of your lingo, but you definitely lose me more than not!

BTW - what's in vegemite? Someone explained it to me a long time ago, but I forget.

Upvote 0

Miss Mayberry

Senior Veteran
Dec 20, 2003
✟11,349.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
The ingredients in Vegemite are:

Yeast extract, salt, mineral salt, malt, natural color, vegetable extract, Thiamine, Riboflavin, and Niacin.

I also read somewhere that it has 600% more vitamins than any other substance on EARTH.

Vegemite on toast...in all it's glory:

Upvote 0

mamaneenie

Oct 30, 2003
Australia
✟18,646.00
Faith
Christian
Hey Actress, love the expression on the face of the second guy, in the pictures you sent.

What a hoot.

I am sure that if I wasn't bought up "a vegemite kid" I wouldn't touch it.

What do people think of promite. It's not as salty tasting? Is it still Aussie?

THere is a new one out called Mighty mite. Has anyone tried that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wolflily

Jan 8, 2004
New Hampshire, USA
✟10,794.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yikes - that vegemite don't sound so good. (I don't like salty food much, except at certain times when Auntie Flo comes to visit)

Hmm, no offense all, but I guess I'll have to wait to annhilate my taste buds on your quaint Aussie faire another time!

Upvote 0