What's your favourite 'Aussie' expression?

Miss Mayberry

Senior Veteran
Dec 20, 2003
✟11,349.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
"Happy Little Vegemites"...:p

We went over one night with a couple friends of mine to see our English neighbors. They were eager to let us sample anything and everything they had brought with them over here. Including marmite. My friends and I had made a bet that I couldn't not talk for one hour. I had been doing great! Until I put marmite in my mouth...:sick:

;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

the brute

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
✟7,753.00
Faith
Christian
Vegemite is basically beer pooh, and it doesn't even taste as good as that, IMHO. It's also manufactured by an American corporation, so I don't know why some of my countrypersons get so nationalistic about it. As for that sporting chant, it makes U...S...A sound literate. Whatever credibility it might have pretended to was destroyed forever when John Winston Howard started it up during the Sydney Olympics. I'm just a grumpy old man, non è vero?

Upvote 0
B

Bevlina

Wolflily said:
Ok, now I need two interpreters! One Aussie and one Canuck!
I'd better start brushing up on otherworldly speech around here.
Things are getting a bit provincial up here in NH.
Sometimes you crack me up Wolf. I sit here laughing my head off!!
A sanger in Oz is a sandwich. Oh Struth Wolf!! You've got me laughing. First you had to have Oz interpreted then in comes a Canuck talking French!!!!...excuse me...gotta run!!! You've got me shot as a shanghai on laughter!!!

Upvote 0
B

Bevlina

the brute said:
Vegemite is basically beer pooh, and it doesn't even taste as good as that, IMHO. It's also manufactured by an American corporation, so I don't know why some of my countrypersons get so nationalistic about it. As for that sporting chant, it makes U...S...A sound literate. Whatever credibility it might have pretended to was destroyed forever when John Winston Howard started it up during the Sydney Olympics. I'm just a grumpy old man, non è vero?
Beer pooh Brute? I thought Sanitarium was Australian? If it's American why don't they have happy little vegemites in America? Doesn't seem fair to the American's. Look what they're missing out on!
Why are you so grumpy Brute? What's got up your nose?

Upvote 0

the brute

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
✟7,753.00
Faith
Christian
Well, the label on the jar in my cupboard (there are renegades in my house who like this stuff) says Kraft.
I'm actually not even feeling all that grumpy, but the thread probably come across as if I am. That last sentence is something of a pre-emptive confession, I s'pose.
Cheers, all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Miss Mayberry

Senior Veteran
Dec 20, 2003
✟11,349.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Watched a new show called "In a Fix", where this team of people go into someone's unfinished home and renovate it in three days. Anyway, the carpenter on there is from Down Under (at first I thought it was South Africa, but then they began calling him 'The Wombat') and he always wears this ONE shirt. They finally told him he smelled horrible, so they duct-taped his hands and feet, pulled off his shirt, and burned it, right there, three feet in front of him. And then they made him put on one of those slinky lingerie pieces. Black lace. And the host (from America) goes (in his Aussie-most accent), "Boy, mate, we skunked that off you and you come up a TREAT!"
I was really looking forward to watching the lingerie-clad guy some more, but then he was fired. He was too lazy.

Pointless story, really, but it's Aussie-related...so whatever...

Upvote 0

LivingWorship

My soul dances in freedom, my heart forever sings
Feb 9, 2004
Sydney
Visit site
✟17,737.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Mine is the old FAIR-DINKUM, but I also love "Bring a plate"... our church is very multicultural and we were having this pot-luck dinner and as per usual the pastor would announce "please bring a plate." So everyone would normally bring a dish, with their fave food on it... well this particular week we had a new couple just settliing into the church. They were Chinese I think, could be worng... but they weren't really up with the vernacular and rocked up to the pot-luck dinner with a plate! An EMPTY plate! It's become a joke at church and nowadays the pastors stress bring a plate with food on it! Yah don't know why I just rambled that but there you go!

Upvote 0

LivingWorship

My soul dances in freedom, my heart forever sings
Feb 9, 2004
Sydney
Visit site
✟17,737.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
marduke said:
americans always do the lamest aussie accents... lol and they usually use words that we dont use.. :D

Uh-huh! Too right, but the best impersonation I've heard was none other than Robin Williams, he does a great Aussie accent!

Upvote 0