What's your favorite subject within history?

UnafraidOne

Jun 28, 2008
✟15,226.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
For me, the longer ago something happened - the more fascinating it is. I don't know why - ancient events take on a mystical quality for me and capture my imagination to a greater degree.

So to answer the question: the more ancient the history the better.
If I could meet one of my ancestors from, say, half a million years ago - wow! That would be far more interesting than meeting just about anybody in recorded history.

Upvote 0

Nooj

Senior Veteran
Jan 9, 2005
Sydney
✟19,215.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
AU-Greens
I like history but I love culture. So for example, I love the Middle Ages but not merely the history, more so the Medieval Studies aspect of it. Particularly my interest is in the Islamic and Mongol civilisations and the period of time between 900-1400 CE.

Also I <3 Classical civilisations. The literature is just a joy. Catullus is funny and relevant, Horace is a master with metres, Vergil is so subtle, not only in the rhythm, but in the sounds of the words as well.

Even so, I like the Greeks more. I can't even tell you why, except maybe the Roman's skill at governance attracts me less than the Greek focus on art, philosophy, drama, tragedies. In a lot of ways, the Greeks are reminiscent of modern times but at the same time very distant. So I'm hoping to also learn Classical Greek when I get to Uni.

I'm also a Judeo-phile and love Judaism.

Upvote 0

Fin4God

Scotland the Brave
Aug 10, 2008
Scarborough, NY
✟7,694.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Just about everything before 1900 is yawn worthy IMO, althought the French Revolution is interesting. My favourite topics are

East Germany, formation to 1989
Weimar Germany 1920's
Nazism 1919-1945
World War I
World War II - especialyy POW camps eg Colditz
Mussolinis Italy
Russian Revolution
Soviet Union - 5 year plans etc

Upvote 0

Jadis40

Sep 19, 2004
Indiana, USA
✟47,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Byzantine empire, the light of Justice and freedom in the dark ages of Europe.

Ooo...Byzantine Empire. I had to comment on this because Byzantine history was one of the 400 level courses I took in college.

I graduated with a degree in history, which wasn't focused on one particular thing, but encompassed quite a lot. One of my favorite courses was on Asia.

To narrow it down, the areas I like reading about the most are:
Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome
American Revolution

In general, I'm pretty fascinated with the history of the English-speaking countries. I hold a particular fondness for Great Britain.

Upvote 0

nataliexcore

n00b.
Sep 3, 2008
nine one sickness
✟7,860.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
my mom thinks i'm a freak because the vietnam war really fascinates me. not just the war itself, but the social aspects in america. how people felt about it, the counterculture, the way people treated returning troops as opposed to WW2/korea, the one year tour of duty, media portrayal, the soldiers morale/attitude. khdskjgkds. i love it.

although i have a general fascination with all wars.

Upvote 0

VikingGirlTBird

VikingGirlTBird!
Oct 13, 2012
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA.
✟8,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi I just thought I'd see what everyone's favorite subject within history is. I love the Renaissance period, English history, and Imperial Russian. World War II is also fun when it's dealing with the Battles of the Atlantic. Now it's everyone elses turn..:)

My favorite subject in history is social history (People's daily lives, ethnic history, gender history, women's history, the history of the family, and etc.).

My favorite times in history is from prehistory to the Renaissance. My favorite times in world history are the Viking Age and the Middle Ages! My favorite times in USA History are early colonial times (The sixteenth century through the seventeenth century.) and the American Civil War. My favorite times in Virginian History are early colonial times (The sixteenth century through the seventeenth century.) and the American Civil War. Love them! :)

Upvote 0