Kansas
Visit site
✟8,553.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
Pete Harcoff said:
Really? I did email him once about where he taught (since he claims to have 15 years teaching experience). I'd be surprised if he read it on the air since it wasn't much of a question.

Yep. That was the question. I can pm you the link, if he's still got the MP3 up on his site.

Upvote 0

warispeace

ubi dubium, ibi libertas
Jan 14, 2004
Kansas
Visit site
✟8,553.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
I just thought of another one. He was frustrated that everyone keeps saying that there's not enough water for a total flood. So he claimed that a single drop of water would be enough to cover the earth if the ground was flat enough.

A single freaking drop. :doh:

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
warispeace said:
I just thought of another one. He was frustrated that everyone keeps saying that there's not enough water for a total flood. So he claimed that a single drop of water would be enough to cover the earth if the ground was flat enough.

A single freaking drop. :doh:

Any of you with l33t math $killz want to do the calculations? Say we give a generous 15 ml drop of water, multiply by the moles/ml to get the total number of H2O molecules, then spread them out over a perfectly even 25,000 mile in circumferance sphere. If it wouldn't cover (which I think it won't) what would the density of the molecules be?

Upvote 0

Logic

May 25, 2004
Michigan
✟1,988.00
Faith
Other Religion
15 ml water ~ 15 grams (special condition for water)

molar mass of water = 18.015 g/mole

(15 g) / (18.015 g/mol) ~ .83 / mol^-1 = .83 mols

.83 mol * nA ~ 5.0 E 23 molecules.

A water molecule has an area of ~ 10 A^2

10 A^2 = 10^-19 m^2

5.0 E 23 molecules * 10^-19 m^2 = 50,000 m^2 in 15 mL of water.

SA of Earth ~ 510,066,000 km^2 = 5.1066 E 14 m^2

Hovind is way off!

5.10066 E 14 / 50,000 = (1.02 E 10 times as much water is needed)

Hovind was off by a factor of 10213200000.

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Mistermystery

Here's looking at you kid
Apr 19, 2004
✟5,275.00
Faith
Atheist
USincognito said:
Any of you with l33t math $killz want to do the calculations? Say we give a generous 15 ml drop of water, multiply by the moles/ml to get the total number of H2O molecules, then spread them out over a perfectly even 25,000 mile in circumferance sphere. If it wouldn't cover (which I think it won't) what would the density of the molecules be?
I'm sorry but hovind is correct. A single drop can flood the Earth.

But boy howdy what a big drop it is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

scrawny

Sep 15, 2004
Western Australia
✟119.00
Faith
Christian
I like his saying:

"I have 700 anti-Hovind websites... I'm so proud of myself".

I'm glad he has opposition. I must admit - if he didn't have any opposition - I would be worried.

Mark 13:13
" And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

scrawny

Sep 15, 2004
Western Australia
✟119.00
Faith
Christian
Yes I do support Hovind. He certainly has the blessing of God on his ministry and most of his teachings are very biblical.

Although, I was a bit dumbstruck when I saw him on the TV show - "Ali G in da house".

Oh well...

John 3:20 - 21
"For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God."

Upvote 0

meebs

The dev!l loves rock and roll
Aug 17, 2004
Alpha Quadrant
Visit site
✟17,879.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
warispeace said:
I'm in the habit of listening to 'Dr.' Hovind's Creation Science Hour radio program. It's something of a guilty pleasure. Mostly for comic relief. He says so many dumb things every show that I lose track of them. I was listening to him today refuting the fact that some of the earliest human civilizations, the Egyptians, etc., should have pre-dated the flood. His argument was that the people of Noah were so smart that advanced, densely-populated cities would pop up overnight. And then, later, he claimed that cyanide was a cure for cancer, and the only reason people don't know about it is that there's a global conspiracy to keep it a secret. I laughed so hard I choked.

What's your favorite dumb/humorous/forehead-slappingly ignorant Hovind quote or argument?
The humans that lived with dinosaurs one? did he say that? Totally dumb. I cant beleive this guy was a science teacher!! I read a website of his the other day. It said his mission was to bring people to God via the theory of creationism. I would have ran the other way. And whats all that rubbish about the flood itself? I guess God blesses these sorta people too :shrug:

Upvote 0

Mistermystery

Here's looking at you kid
Apr 19, 2004
✟5,275.00
Faith
Atheist
jellybrain said:
The humans that lived with dinosaurs one? did he say that? Totally dumb. I cant beleive this guy was a science teacher!! I read a website of his the other day. It said his mission was to bring people to God via the theory of creationism. I would have ran the other way. And whats all that rubbish about the flood itself? I guess God blesses these sorta people too :shrug:
hey,he can make millions off the backs of people who buy his lies.... infact I'd might want to give this a shot as well..

Upvote 0