Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Video Talk

1 Kings 18:36-39 ESV

“And at the time of the offering of the oblation, Elijah the prophet came near and said, ‘O Lord, God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, let it be known this day that you are God in Israel, and that I am your servant, and that I have done all these things at your word. Answer me, O Lord, answer me, that this people may know that you, O Lord, are God, and that you have turned their hearts back.’ Then the fire of the Lord fell and consumed the burnt offering and the wood and the stones and the dust and licked up the water that was in the trench. And when all the people saw it, they fell on their faces and said, ‘The Lord, he is God; the Lord, he is God.’”

Now, this may seem an odd choice to have as one of my favorite Scriptures, but this passage of Scripture spoke to me strongly at a time in my life when I was sharing the truths of the Scriptures, and when I was being treated much like Elijah was when King Ahab called him a “troubler of Israel.” For if you are speaking the truths of the Scriptures and of the gospel of Jesus Christ today in America, you are likely to be called all sorts of names, even by others who also call themselves Christians.

But for Elijah, this was not about himself and his reputation, nor is it for me. This was and is all about people realizing that God is the only God of his people and that they are not to worship any other gods of this world, which can be pride, selfishness, greed, envy, and the lusts of the flesh. For your god is anything or anyone who you give your passion, fidelity, loyalties, worship, affections, time and hearts to over and above the one true God, or in place of true worship, loyalty, and devotion to God, our creator.

So the whole point of Elijah’s prayer was that it would be known that God (Father, Son Jesus Christ, and Holy Spirit) is the one and only God. And his prayer that the people would know that he was the Lord’s servant, and that the words he had spoken were from God (the words of God), was so that the people would listen, and so that they would believe in the one true God. And Paul expressed something similar to this in his writings when he recognized that if he was not believed that the people would not believe the gospel.

Now today, not everyone who proclaims to be a prophet of God or a servant of the Lord or a teacher of the Scriptures is indeed what they profess to be. Many people are following after false teachers and their false gods and their false gospels, and there are many wolves in sheep’s clothing who are leading the people astray to follow after the gods of this world and diluted gospel messages which do not lead the people to follow (obey) the one true God. So test everything you read and hear against the Scriptures (in context).

Caution: This link may contain ads beyond my control

A Believer’s Prayer

An Original Work / July 31, 2012

With my whole heart, Lord, I pray
To be Yours, and Yours always.
Lead me in Your truth today.
May I love You, and obey.
Lead me in Your righteousness.
When I sin, may I confess;
Bow before You when I pray;
Live for You and You always.

Love You, Jesus, You’re my friend.