Nov 14, 2003
Boston
Visit site
✟8,053.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
So, in another thread I just read and in many, I have seen people complaining about "Protestant Hymns" being sung at Mass.

What is specifically wrong with that? There are a number of good hymns with acceptable theology for Catholics. We believe that Protestants are in fact Christians and, although separated, members of the Church.

So, what's wrong?

I'm curious, not wanting to debate and don't want this thread to become a debate, but rather just some statements of opinions.

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
There's not an intrinsic problem with it (whatever is true and good, no matter who produces it, is true and good), but it can be a scandal if it contributes to an impression that there is no substantial difference between Protetantism and Catholicism or Catholic worship and Protestant worship. Similarly, there is more to Catholic praxis than just the theology of what is said. The form of music between traditional Catholic praxis and Protestant praxis also may differ. Substituting hymns that reflect Protestant forms can diminish the Catholic identity of the liturgy.

Plus, there's so many treasures of Catholic hymnody, there's really no reason to search out Protestant hymnody.

As an aside, it is wrong to say Protestants are "members" of the Church (cf. Mystici Corporis 22). One may speak of a "partial communion" since "communion" is a broader and more flexible concept than "membership." Communion can refer to a sharing in any particular elements, whereas membership requires sharing in certain core elements (Baptism, orthodox faith, and government). See here for Ratzinger's explanation of the idea of membership when referring to non-Catholics.

(for some reason, the English translation of Unitatis Redintegratio refers to all the Baptized as "members of Christ's Body" but neither the original Latin, nor the English translation of this quote in the CCC 818 use this phraseology; the translation of UR seems to be an error, especially when compared to how those same Latin phrases are used in Lumen Gentium 14 and 15).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2008
✟14,124.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
at Mass, I was so pleased to hear them sing the Gloria. It was beautiful, joyful and sounded like heavenly worship. Then they sang a traditional Catholic Hymn..ok...then we went to something more contemporary and ended the Mass with "Soon and Very Soon."

The only thing I am going to say is that I wish it would have been more uniform. There was no flow. Before anyone can chide me with "you are not at Mass for what you can get out of it, you are there to worship", to me, it seems like the Church has only been concerned with making people feel good by trying to please everyone (and the pews are empty).

Reactions: New Creation
Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
So, in another thread I just read and in many, I have seen people complaining about "Protestant Hymns" being sung at Mass.

What is specifically wrong with that? There are a number of good hymns with acceptable theology for Catholics. We believe that Protestants are in fact Christians and, although separated, members of the Church.

So, what's wrong?

There's nothing wrong .

Upvote 0

Joshua G.

Mar 5, 2009
U.S.A.
✟5,328.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
sometmes the problem is in what is left unsaid.

where is the focus?

example: the Annunciation. Is it wrong to say talk about it in terms f that God fulfilled his promise then and there? no, thats Orthodox/Catholic and nrcessary. However it would be odd to not see plainly a lesson in the great example of Mary.

A hymn is supposed to teach us in the faith of the church. The stars need to really align to assume that a protestant-written hymn expresses a certain subject in a way that truly expresses it how the Church would. It matters a great deal that the man or woman who wrote the hymn about the nativity viewed Mary as just another gal. There are always exceptions but whats the point. This is the Mass... the very core of where your faith is preserved and taught. Its not just a bible class. Its like the DNA of your faith. Save the good protestant hymns for the camp fire... seriously. they're not worthless or evil. They just lack. my 2 cents.

Josh

Upvote 0

sylverpiano

unworthy
Oct 14, 2010
✟53,702.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Using Protestant hymns in the Catholic Church is similar to saying that the Church is lacking. Are there no hymns to be found in the almost 2000 year tradition of the Catholic Church that aren't good enough?
well said

it is not the worst thing ever, but I think it is not a good idea, our hymns are part of our idenitity so to have it become more Protestant is not a good idea, we(US Catholics) are allready surounded by Protestant and Secularist ideas and symbols in this culture, why have them in our churches as well?

Reactions: Joshua G.
Upvote 0

whitetiger1

Sep 3, 2011
in front of my computer
✟1,946.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

So, what's wrong?

I'm curious, not wanting to debate and don't want this thread to become a debate, but rather just some statements of opinions.
Opinion: I like them it connects me to my Protestant past, it was things like this that turn me to go Catholic. May they never disappear!

One of my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruaV6pmFGAM

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟188,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

So, what's wrong?

There is nothing wrong with non-Catholic hymns, providing they're theologically correct.

Jim

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟188,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Using Protestant hymns in the Catholic Church is similar to saying that the Church is lacking. Are there no hymns to be found in the almost 2000 year tradition of the Catholic Church that aren't good enough?

No, it's not the case.

Some non-Catholic hymns are good.

Some Catholic hymns are just plain lousy.

For my parish, both organists are converts, so for them, using protestant hymns that they're familiar with is often their taste.

However, all the hymns are taken from approved hymnals.

Jim

Upvote 0

Andrew21091

Jun 21, 2007
Grand Rapids, MI
✟17,221.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No, it's not the case.

Some non-Catholic hymns are good.

Some Catholic hymns are just plain lousy.

For my parish, both organists are converts, so for them, using protestant hymns that they're familiar with is often their taste.

However, all the hymns are taken from approved hymnals.

Jim

They are the converts to the Catholic Church. It isn't the other way around. They are expecting the Church to conform to their individual tastes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
They are the converts to the Catholic Church. It isn't the other way around. They are expecting the Church to conform to their individual tastes.
that is what i like about the EO, they understand that the Church is a community

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Opinion: I like them it connects me to my Protestant past, it was things like this that turn me to go Catholic. May they never disappear!

One of my favorites:

Gather Us In - YouTube

This hymn is one of the reasons I think Catholics are not badly off if they use the occasional Protestant hymn. A Mighty Fortress is Our God, or Come Down O Love Divine, is always going to be an improvement over Gather Us In.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian

So, what's wrong?

It is usually insecurity, often masked by endless rounds of religious-speak.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,096,978.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Prayers are gifts of the heart.

Hymns (sung prayers) are gifts of the heart.

I don't think they're meant to be theology lessons.

And I don't think that God listens only to "theologicaly correct" hymns. I think he listens to the outpourings of other Christians, and Jews, and Muslims, and Hindus, and Buddhists.

There are a few Protestant hymns that are very different form Catholicism.

"Are You Washed in the Blood of the Lamb?" The imagery of that is awfully icky, anyway. Who would want to sing it?

"Nothing But the Blood of Jesus" (can wash away my sin.) Same thing.

I know that this blood bath imagery is comforting to those who grew up with it. I think it's gross. And the hymns aren't Catholic at all.

There are contemporary Christian songs that cam be sung by any denomination. I really dislike the ones that call Jesus "my lover" in an almost romantic way. I don't think they're Catholic or Christian. They're theologically incorrect in any denomination.

Other than that, I'm fine with Protestant hymns. I love "It Is Well With My Soul," for example.

And yes, Marty Haugen is Episcopal. But the words of his hymn, "All Are Welcome" describe what Catholicism should, ideally, be better than any Catholic hymn I've ever heard.

Upvote 0

FriendlyJosh

Jan 12, 2011
✟11,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I know that this blood bath imagery is comforting to those who grew up with it. I think it's gross. And the hymns aren't Catholic at all.

“Come all of you to Me and fear not, for I Love you all... I will wash you in My Blood and you shall be made whiter than snow. All of your offences will be submerged in the waters in which I myself shall wash you, nor shall anything whatsoever be able to tear from My Heart its Love for you."

Jesus said that himself in the book "The Way of Divine Love" Where he came down in the 1920's and spoke to Sister Josefa Menendez.

Upvote 0