Sep 19, 2003
Alabama
Visit site
✟17,042.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is absolutly our fault. There is a spirit of slumber in the church. I believe the bible speaks of it in the end days. Thats one reason I made the thred about the sweet hour of prayer. It is in my sig. I believe that is what we have lost and so desparately need again. Or like the disiples Jesus will say "Could you not bear with me for one hour?"

Reactions: ydouxist
Upvote 0

looksgood

Veteran
Sep 19, 2003
Alabama
Visit site
✟17,042.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!! I can't believe it! Something just hit me as I reread that!

Jesus said pray that you enter not into temptation! He made a big deal about the praying with him for one hour! And in revalation He speaks of the hour of temptation that shall come! That hour that He said we could be safe in if we watched!

Upvote 0

ydouxist

Senior Veteran
Nov 27, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟19,940.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oblio said:
Perhaps you could list how it is different from the Early Church in belief and praxis.
How is it different???

We argue doctrinal differences out of pride!

They were all in one accord and walked in power!

Upvote 0

d0c markus

The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few
Oct 30, 2003
✟3,060.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
ydouxist said:
How is it different???

We argue doctrinal differences out of pride!

They were all in one accord and walked in power!
amen to that. Im not perfect but its been my practice to not betray your convictions. There is a time when you can be shown wrong and you must humbly admit that. I think the problem came when corrupt men entered into a power struggle.

Men have gotten caught up in their title rather than God. Its clear in the history of the popes, did not leo squander the money of the papacy spending it all on his love of fun?

i dunno, thats my 2 cents.

Upvote 0

Rafael

Only time enough for love
Jul 25, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
✟6,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said to beware the leaven of the Pharisees. They would be very religious on the outside, and could do some of the works of the law and keep tradition while ignoring the important laws of love, justice, and mercy......faith.

Mt 16:6 Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.
Mt 16:11 How is it that ye do not understand that I spake it not to you concerning bread, that ye should beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees?
Mt 16:12 Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

Mt 23:13 ¶ But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you shut up the kingdom of Heaven before men; for you do not enter, nor do you allow those entering to go in.
Mt 23:15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte; and when he is become so, ye make him twofold more a son of hell than yourselves.

Mt 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye tithe mint and anise and cummin, and have left undone the weightier matters of the law, justice, and mercy, and faith: but these ye ought to have done, and not to have left the other undone.

Mt 23:24 Blind guides, straining out the gnat, but swallowing the camel!

Lu 11:46 And he said, Woe unto you lawyers also! for ye load men with burdens grievous to be borne, and ye yourselves touch not the burdens with one of your fingers.
Lu 18:10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Arrogance and pride in the church is always alive and well. We can be little Pharisees too, if we look at a struggling brother and sister in the same manner as the Pharisees example written in scripture.

Upvote 0

Rafael

Only time enough for love
Jul 25, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
✟6,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ydouxist said:
Why is the church today so different from the early church?

This has bothered me for quite a while.

Is it our fault? Are we missing something? :scratch:
I have to add, that there are going to be differences from beginnings and endings that have to be recognized, just as we do in life. The Bible says that better is the end of a thing than the beginning - suggesting difference (Ecc. 7:8). I don't expect the Church to be exactly like the first Church in practical respects, but I do think their should be a close resemblance, with no change of the doctrine of the Gospel, otherwise there would be a curse attached (Gal.1:8).
Having more of an impact on our communities with the poor and needy would be letting a light shine by our good works to the world, instead of lip service about following after the sacrificing and giving Lord, Jesus. These are the things He asks about when He returns: Did you feed me, clothe me, visit me, given me shelter while a stranger....? When you do it to the least of men, you do it unto the Lord, as Christians know by the Bible's words, yet, I see many people walk away with little help from others supposedly strong in faith (Matt.25:31-45).

Luke 6:30 Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.

1 Cor. 12:20 But now are they many members, yet but one body.
21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.
22 Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary:
23 And those members of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness.
24 For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that part which lacked:
25 That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another.
26 And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it.

Also, there is much greed being stimulated today in God's name, and people of God are being made merchandise of by shepherds willing to feed from the flock, as the prophets and disciples spoke and wrote about..

2 Peter2:1 ¶ But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
3 ¶ And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums