British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I don't think Protestants take fasting as seriously as the Orthodox and Catholic churches. Nevertheless, I have fasted before. Not for particularly religious reason (although they did play a part), but in order to experience just some of the pain those in poverty have to endure. Word of advice- don't drink water. Drink orange juice, as the sugars in it contain a lot of energy.

Upvote 0

inder11

Sep 12, 2009
✟15,145.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I read all the post and majority of them fast to get rid of addictions of eating a certain food and it helps you remember God.

What I believe is the food is not bad it's the attachment so it's all in the mind. Mind over matter. Instead of fasting I meditate to lose the addiction, which helps me focus on God. For me fasting seems like starving the body of its regular needs. Self control and being more and more conscious of your actions helps you to get rid of attachments. Over eating also adds to the addiction of food. The desire that builds up in the mind is what makes us addicted. So instead of trying to fight this desire I feed this desire with something else. What the soul truly wants. Which is remember God and meditating on the Lord. In my weakness moments I found it best to remember God as we are suppose to through out the day 24/7 and consciously. It has helped me alot.

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2009
Colorado
Visit site
✟15,223.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I was always somewhat confused about fasting too, I wasn’t entirely clear on it’s purpose. When I prayed and asked God to show me why, He opened my eyes through studying His Word. The Bible gives us several reasons for fasting. Fasting keeps you focused. Before when I’d fast, I would try to do things to make myself not feel hungry. I’d put lots of cream and sugar in my coffee. I would try to trick my stomach into thinking I wasn’t hungry by drinking a lot of water. Then I realized that’s the whole point of fasting. Every time you feel hunger, it reminds you to pray. It makes you so close to God, as your flesh submits to the Holy Spirit.

Psalm 34:8 Oh taste and see that the Lord is good; Blessed is the man who trusts in Him!

The Bible tells us we have two sides to us out flesh and our spirit. Our spirit part of us always wants to follow God and His ways. Our flesh part of us always wants to please the flesh. The flesh always wants to take the easy way. There is always a battle for control. The more you feed the flesh, the stronger it gets. By starving the flesh part of you, you make the flesh weak. Fasting and prayer brings the flesh part of you under submission to the spirit part of you.

By fasting you tear your affection away from earthly desires and instead you seek Gods desire for you. When you fast and pray, you feast on the Spirit. You feel so close to God. It Humbles you, and makes you acknowledge your dependence on God. Everytime your soul is afflicted it brings your focus back to God. Your hunger pangs are like a spiritual alarm clock, reminding you to pray. When I fast and pray, it brings my sins into focus, I can see them for what they are. I get a greater clarity of God’s will for me. My spirit man is in control of my flesh man. I understand truths in the Bible that I hadn’t seen before.

Fasting and prayer always go together. When I was trying to assuage my hunger by adding cream and sugar to my coffee, it wasn’t really fasting, because instead of praying when I got hungry, I tried to fix my discomfort. Fasting without prayer isn’t fasting, it’s just missing meals. Cutting away the flesh man, takes prayer and fasting You are in the flesh when your not trusting God. If you don’t pray while you are fasting, it can sometimes lead to incorrect fasting.

In Isaiah, God’s people were fasting for the wrong reason. They were fasting trying to manipulate God into doing their will. While fasting they were still beating their slaves and cheating the poor. They ignored God’s conviction of their sin. They didn’t pray for God’s will, yet they still expected Him to bless them. He gave them instructions on what fasting is really for.

Isaiah 58:5-7 Is it a fast that I have chosen, A day for a man to afflict his soul? Is it to bow down his head like a bulrush, And to spread out sackcloth and ashes? Would you call this a fast, And an acceptable day to the LORD?

6 “ Is this not the fast that I have chosen: To loose the bonds of wickedness, To undo the heavy burdens, To let the oppressed go free, And that you break every yoke? 7 Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, And that you bring to your house the poor who are cast out; When you see the naked, that you cover him, And not hide yourself from your own flesh?

When these folks where fasting, they were ignoring the promptings from God, that naturally come with fasting, and using the fast to pay for blessings they wanted to attain. When you fast it should be about gaining instruction from God and growing your spirit, making your spirit fat.

Because there is a Satan there are many wrong ways to fast. We have to make sure we are listening to the prompting of the Holy Spirit. Make sure we are consecrating each day we fast to God. We shouldn’t go around looking like we are starving, don’t tell people how hard it is to fast. If people ask you why you are not eating, simply tell them you are fasting, if you feel God wants you to share why your fasting go ahead, but make sure you are doing all things as unto the Lord.

Fasting for the Christian, is not an option.

Mark 2:20But the days will come when the bridegroom will be taken away from them, and then they will fast in those days.

Jesus didn’t say if you fast He said when you fast. The following verses give us an examples of the wrong way and the right way to fast.

Matthew 6: 16-18 “Moreover, when you fast, do not be like the hypocrites, with a sad countenance. For they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 17 But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, 18 so that you do not appear to men to be fasting, but to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.

When your soul, body, spirit, are hungry, you are in the best position to receive nourishment from God. You would think a fast puts you in a state of weakness, but it actually makes you stronger. Fasting for forty days put Jesus in the state of strength He needed to “withstand every temptation”.

Luke 4:13-15Now when the devil had ended every temptation, he departed from Him until an opportune time. Then Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit to Galilee, and news of Him went out through all the surrounding region. 15 And He taught in their synagogues, being glorified by all. 15 And He taught in their synagogues, being glorified by all.

After Jesus fasted He returned with POWER of the SPIRIT. Fasting gives you the power to witness about Christ. Not only in with words but also with your life!

Prayer and fasting is one the strongest weapons we can use against Satan. It breaks the yoke of bondage Satan has on us, by increasing our faith and bringing our flesh into submission to our spirit. Being overweight, is evidence that our flesh man is in control. Fasting is the most powerful way to get it under control.

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Upvote 0

Mike555444

Washing Feet
Sep 28, 2009
West Virginia
✟7,654.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I was always somewhat confused about fasting too, I wasn’t entirely clear on it’s purpose. When I prayed and asked God to show me why, He opened my eyes through studying His Word. The Bible gives us several reasons for fasting. Fasting keeps you focused. Before when I’d fast, I would try to do things to make myself not feel hungry. I’d put lots of cream and sugar in my coffee. I would try to trick my stomach into thinking I wasn’t hungry by drinking a lot of water. Then I realized that’s the whole point of fasting. Every time you feel hunger, it reminds you to pray. It makes you so close to God, as your flesh submits to the Holy Spirit.

Psalm 34:8 Oh taste and see that the Lord is good; Blessed is the man who trusts in Him!

The Bible tells us we have two sides to us out flesh and our spirit. Our spirit part of us always wants to follow God and His ways. Our flesh part of us always wants to please the flesh. The flesh always wants to take the easy way. There is always a battle for control. The more you feed the flesh, the stronger it gets. By starving the flesh part of you, you make the flesh weak. Fasting and prayer brings the flesh part of you under submission to the spirit part of you.

By fasting you tear your affection away from earthly desires and instead you seek Gods desire for you. When you fast and pray, you feast on the Spirit. You feel so close to God. It Humbles you, and makes you acknowledge your dependence on God. Everytime your soul is afflicted it brings your focus back to God. Your hunger pangs are like a spiritual alarm clock, reminding you to pray. When I fast and pray, it brings my sins into focus, I can see them for what they are. I get a greater clarity of God’s will for me. My spirit man is in control of my flesh man. I understand truths in the Bible that I hadn’t seen before.

Fasting and prayer always go together. When I was trying to assuage my hunger by adding cream and sugar to my coffee, it wasn’t really fasting, because instead of praying when I got hungry, I tried to fix my discomfort. Fasting without prayer isn’t fasting, it’s just missing meals. Cutting away the flesh man, takes prayer and fasting You are in the flesh when your not trusting God. If you don’t pray while you are fasting, it can sometimes lead to incorrect fasting.

In Isaiah, God’s people were fasting for the wrong reason. They were fasting trying to manipulate God into doing their will. While fasting they were still beating their slaves and cheating the poor. They ignored God’s conviction of their sin. They didn’t pray for God’s will, yet they still expected Him to bless them. He gave them instructions on what fasting is really for.

Isaiah 58:5-7 Is it a fast that I have chosen, A day for a man to afflict his soul? Is it to bow down his head like a bulrush, And to spread out sackcloth and ashes? Would you call this a fast, And an acceptable day to the LORD?

6 “ Is this not the fast that I have chosen: To loose the bonds of wickedness, To undo the heavy burdens, To let the oppressed go free, And that you break every yoke? 7 Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, And that you bring to your house the poor who are cast out; When you see the naked, that you cover him, And not hide yourself from your own flesh?

When these folks where fasting, they were ignoring the promptings from God, that naturally come with fasting, and using the fast to pay for blessings they wanted to attain. When you fast it should be about gaining instruction from God and growing your spirit, making your spirit fat.

Because there is a Satan there are many wrong ways to fast. We have to make sure we are listening to the prompting of the Holy Spirit. Make sure we are consecrating each day we fast to God. We shouldn’t go around looking like we are starving, don’t tell people how hard it is to fast. If people ask you why you are not eating, simply tell them you are fasting, if you feel God wants you to share why your fasting go ahead, but make sure you are doing all things as unto the Lord.

Fasting for the Christian, is not an option.

Mark 2:20But the days will come when the bridegroom will be taken away from them, and then they will fast in those days.

Jesus didn’t say if you fast He said when you fast. The following verses give us an examples of the wrong way and the right way to fast.

Matthew 6: 16-18 “Moreover, when you fast, do not be like the hypocrites, with a sad countenance. For they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 17 But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, 18 so that you do not appear to men to be fasting, but to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.

When your soul, body, spirit, are hungry, you are in the best position to receive nourishment from God. You would think a fast puts you in a state of weakness, but it actually makes you stronger. Fasting for forty days put Jesus in the state of strength He needed to “withstand every temptation”.

Luke 4:13-15Now when the devil had ended every temptation, he departed from Him until an opportune time. Then Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit to Galilee, and news of Him went out through all the surrounding region. 15 And He taught in their synagogues, being glorified by all. 15 And He taught in their synagogues, being glorified by all.

After Jesus fasted He returned with POWER of the SPIRIT. Fasting gives you the power to witness about Christ. Not only in with words but also with your life!

Prayer and fasting is one the strongest weapons we can use against Satan. It breaks the yoke of bondage Satan has on us, by increasing our faith and bringing our flesh into submission to our spirit. Being overweight, is evidence that our flesh man is in control. Fasting is the most powerful way to get it under control.

Thank you for so much good information :)

Gad Bless

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What's the purpose in fasting? Do you guys completely fast from all food for a certain period of time or just something in particular? And, after you do it, how do you feel different?

Here's some info on fasting from my Archdiocese's website:

The reason for fasting, then, is precisely this: Fasting is a way of emptying ourselves from the cares and concerns of this world—A means of preparation and conditioning, which will enable us to serve God and grow closer to Him.

Preparation for God's service was the very reason why some of the greatest witnesses of the faith fasted. Moses fasted for forty days before he met God on Mt. Sinai; the prophets fasted before they pronounced the word of God; and Christ himself fasted for forty days in the desert before He began His ministry. Indeed, even today, an athlete will prepare for a match through intense diet and training; so too, as Christians, we engage ina similar preparation by fasting before receiving Holy Communion; andnow as Great Lent begins, we undertake the fast to prepare ourselves toreceive the risen Christ on Easter!

Yet how is it that fasting prepares us? Is it something magical, which will take effect only if we follow it exactly? Certainly not! True fasting prepares us to receive God, because it is not merely confined to the abstinence of food. Onthe contrary, true fasting involves abstinence from everything thatdistances us from God. By emptying ourselves of sin, of gossip, of hate, and every other evil which fights against us, we allow ourselvesto be cleansed and refilled with the contents of the gospel. Byremoving those obstacles, we make room for God to come into our heartsand refill the glass of our lives with His message. He now becomes thesource of our nourishment, for as Christ said, “Man cannot live bybread alone.” Fasting is thus a way for us to empty all the thingswhich take up room and “fill” the glass of water, which is ourselves.

Fasting aids in this transfiguration of ourselves because true fasting is active and alive. God Himself pronounced this through Isaiah when He said, “Is not this the fast that I choose: to loose the bonds of injustice, to undo the thongs of the yoke, to let the oppressed go free, and to break every yoke? Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, and bring the homeless poor into your homes; when you see the naked, to cover them, and not to hide yourself from your own kin?”

If fasting is not accompanied by good works, then that fast is dead. Thatfast is merely a dead ritual, devoid of the presence of God. If fasting becomes merely an exercise of abstaining from food, then its true purpose has become lost.

The true nature of fasting shows that the rituals of a life lived faithfully before God are not empty gestures. They usually have profound meaning and can point us in the direction of realities far greater than ourselves. An important part ofliving our faith is in knowing our faith.

Why Do We Fast? — Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

Upvote 0

Big Mouth

Forum Queen
Oct 22, 2009
Illinois
✟15,473.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The part where you grow closer to God is abstaining from something you enjoy, in this case food, and use the experiance for spiritual purpose. I think of it like giving something up for Lent.

I don't think fasting has to be done with food, it can be done with anything, you can fast from tv or video games, or anything.

Upvote 0

holywisdom

Oct 21, 2009
✟7,667.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If u ever want to have power over demons u must fast,remeber when the disciples were trying to cast out a demon and they tried and tried but they just couldnt do it and then jesus cast it out in a blink of an eye,the disciples asked jesus why coulnt they cast out that demon and jesus answered that those kind of demons could only be cast out by praying and fasting.Another thing jesus fasted for 40 days before he was tempted by satan and so fasting is definately a must if u want to b able to resist the devil and all evil forces,the bible doesnt show us that we fast by not using cell phones,radio and all those earthly things but we r suppose to fast by not eating anything this will make your spirit stronger than your flesh,so brothers and sisters fast as much as you can n see the power of god fighting your demons day in and day out.GOD BLESS.

Upvote 0

GailMc

Oct 2, 2009
Near Philly
✟7,880.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Let's see - there the rules about fasting and abstinence. I use them proficently. During Lent I usually give up meat entirely. Coffee's another thing altogether. WHY? Jesus did. There are other reasons to, like the Church says to. Be ye conformed unto Christ! But don't quote me on that. The rules of the fast is one hour before Mass if one is receiving the Eucharist. If not, that is if you're sitting in the pew being honest........guess I'll look them up........here's one: "Thus the law of fasting allows only one full meal a day, but does not prohibit taking some food in the morning and evening, while observing approved local custom as far as quantity and quality of food are concerned." I imagine some still keep the nothing after midnight fast before Mass, but I don't. More: To the law of fast are bound those of the faithful who have completed their eighteenth year and up until the beginning of the sixtieth year. Prescribed days of fast and abstinence for the whole Church are Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

One Lent I gave up chocolate as well as meat. It was hard!

Ummmmm.....here's a little more: Prior to 1966 and the promulgation of Paenitemini there were other instructions on fasting and abstinence which included Ember days and vigils of certain feasts.

Check with your spiritual director or Confessor before extending. Or just check with mom and dad if you're lucky enough to have good ones.

One of the benefits of keeping a fast that I have found is it strengthens one to do so.

Peace and all good,

Gail

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Nov 14, 2009
✟15,133.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I fast because I am supposed to for Ramadan, which is a month of fasting dedicated to God allowing Abraham's son to live, and giving him a goat instead. Fasting keeps me more aware of how lucky I am to have food every day, and everything else. You don't really lose weight, because when the fast is over for the day at sunset, you eat like a starved wolf. But it's a very spiritual experience.

Upvote 0

Big Mouth

Forum Queen
Oct 22, 2009
Illinois
✟15,473.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think the point of fasting is to grow closer to God by absteining from something that brings us comfort.

Notice I say something. I don't think fasting has to be done with food. Abstiening from television for instance would be sufficent for some people. And others shouldn't go without food.

Upvote 0

iloveringyou

Faster Of God
Sep 14, 2009
Northern California
✟7,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
What's the purpose in fasting?
For me it is to clear my mind so I can focus on God. Also to give thanks for whatever pleasure you have given up on for that certain amount of time. As in truly appreciating what God has provided for you.

Do you guys completely fast from all food for a certain period of time or just something in particular?
I have fasted from food(2 days) and my boyfriend(week). During the food fast I fasted from all food and only drank water. During my boyfriend fast I didn't talk to him for a whole week and focus on the book of Proverbs.

And, after you do it, how do you feel different?
I feel refreshed. My mind is cleared. I feel good about doing something for God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kalaia

Jan 28, 2010
✟15,124.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
What I don't understand is the whole "not eating food brings me closer to God because I'm abstaining from something I enjoy".

I tend to feel closer to God when I'm doing something I enjoy. For example: Say I'm out hiking...I'm surrounded by beautiful forests and animals and all I can think of is...this is one of the main reasons I love God. God provided all of this life.

However, I can sympathize with wanting to know how the poor and starving feel.

BTW: on the scientific side...you think more clearly if you are well fed. That's why teachers advise students to get a good breakfast and good night's sleep before a test. Just saying...don't try fasting before the SAT's.

Upvote 0

Bay

Veteran
May 11, 2006
✟10,795.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think the biggest reason is because Christ told us to and we are supposed to follow His example.

Another reason I can think of is that it teaches you self control and discipline. Fasting also makes you appreciate the food you DO eat a lot more and it's also a healthier way to live.

I've lost 20 lbs since I converted to Orthodoxy :D but the weight loss is really a secondary benefit.
Good way ti see it.
I am soon to be fasting. I want to make it through.

Upvote 0

DominiLady

Servant of God
Feb 19, 2010
Bronx, NY
Visit site
✟15,130.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Blessings Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
Thanks for all of the great info. I've been contemplating the idea of fasting for a while now but I have not done so because I do not know exactly how to do it. I'll be 23 next month and I want to fast for 21 days. But, before I start to fast I want to learn as much as I can about it so that I may do it in a way that is pleasing to God.
Once again, thanks,
God Bless!!!
:)

Upvote 0