• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Featured What's the heart of Christianity?

Discussion in 'For New Christians' started by aiki, Jan 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xaris

xaris Active Member

+247
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    You might also try looking up Martyn Lloyd Jones and/or Adrian Rogers.

2. hedrick

hedrick Senior Veteran Supporter

+8,296
    Presbyterian
    Single
    I agree with the OP that it's a mistake to think that the heart of Christianity is moralism or even holiness. But the OP seems to assume that this is the implication of living the way Jesus said to live. If the way Jesus told us to live is wrong, we've got a big problem.

I would say that Jesus was pretty clear that the way we're to live is to love God and our neighbor. While supporting the Law in principle, in his life he was always willing to bend rules when needed. And in Mat 5 and other places he understood the Law as embodying deeper principles that were more important than the actual rules.

Furthermore, this isn't just a more sophisticated version of moralism, because Jesus grounded love of neighbor in love of God and a life of prayer. He also put it in the context of his call from God to establish God's rule, and in various ways showed that it was carried out in a redeemed community, of which we were to be representatives.

3. Uriah123

Uriah123 Member

+21
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    How do you feel about non-religious sub-blue laws?

4. aiki

aiki Regular Member

+3,313
    Canada
    Baptist
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    No, my aim in posting what I have in this thread (there are actually 3 main "OP" posts) was to consider the purpose and means of holy living, not to encourage people to deny or reject such living.

And in this order.

OT ceremonial rules and rules of separation were "bent" by Christ, yes. But he never contravened the universal moral laws of God, which I think worth noting.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  5. aiki

aiki Regular Member

+3,313
    Canada
    Baptist
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    I don't know. I haven't thought much about this issue.

6. Religiot

Religiot Well-Known Member

+258
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Obedience to the Lord, period.

7. aiki

aiki Regular Member

+3,313
    Canada
    Baptist
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    :mmh:

8. Neogaia777

Neogaia777 Disciple Supporter

+4,352
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    @aiki

It sounds to me that your struggling with your own will, vs God's will to me, but we all struggle with this, trying to do things (everything) in our own will instead of God's will completely having the helm in our life and completely taking over, etc...

This requires full submission of our own will over to God's will, in us and through us, etc, instead of our own will trying to do it all, which is always most certain to frustrate and fail anyways, etc, our own will, etc...

But we have to learn to know and discern His (God's) will (from withing) and have it do it (whatever the "it" is at the moment) (choose, etc) and let it (God's will) completely take over, etc...

We need to "ask", and learn to ask, (at least in our heads silently) at almost every given moment, and "listen" in those very moments to what the Spirit within us would have do or choose, etc, before our choosing or taking action also, etc...

This is difficult at first, and I think it's something we all struggle with still, but I think this might be what you might be struggling with maybe, etc...

Asking and then listening also helps us to eventually hear and discern/hear His voice much more clearly at every step and with "practice", etc, which is crucial to any kind of real true intimate personal relationship with Him, etc...

Stopping ourselves and our own will (and our own thoughts) before choosing, acting (and sometimes even thinking) and/or taking action, etc, and then listening and hearing, takes "practice", etc, but will in time, becomes easier and clearer, with "practice" doing these things, etc...

All starts with stopping yourself and asking first, then hearing comes along also, etc, and before you know it, you have a real relationship going on with Him, etc, and your no longer just relying on just your own will only either anymore, etc...

Anyway,

God Bless!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. Religiot

+258
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    As the answer to your question: obedience to the Lord, period, is the heart of Christianity.

Amen.

10. Rodan6

Rodan6 Member Supporter

+118
    Non-Denom
    Married

11. Neogaia777

+4,352
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    How are you successfully obeying Him...?

What are your methods or advice to others in how to do so successfully, etc...?

Or does any of that even matter, but just only obeying Him only, no matter what the methods, or how it is being done, is the only thing of number one paramount importance, etc...?

And whether it is out of fear or love doesn't matter, but only whatever which way is the most successful for each individual each individually, etc...?

What do you think, etc...?

What would be your advice to others, etc...?

God Bless!

12. Rodan6

Rodan6 Member Supporter

+118
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I think in your writing you have captured the important meaning of "may your will be done, not mine". May God bless you in your journey.

13. Jaxxi

Jaxxi Saint- in training

+408
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    To me the heart of Christianity is baptism and repentance. Without these we will go to hell.

14. Junia

Junia Well-Known Member

+1,358
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    Repentance is the fruit of salvation yes

Baptism too

They're the proof

15. Junia

Junia Well-Known Member

+1,358
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private

What I do is if I find myself getting too distracted by these things is to just ration my time using them

And spend more time with God instead

the only sure for idolatry is focusing more on Jesus

're music: is classical music ok?I

I find it uplifting and positive to listen to classical composers

I don't see anything harmful in it at all

16. klutedavid

klutedavid Well-Known Member

+3,390
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Perfect love for others. What more needs to be said?

17. Neogaia777

+4,352
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    I would say Baptism by Fire, that leads to True Repentance, that leads to a complete turnaround toward walking in Perfect Love always.

Water Baptism is just a symbol and public declaration of that (Baptism by Fire) as in and of itself and itself only (water baptism), has no power to save in and of or by itself only, etc... Not saying you shouldn't do it, cause it should be done at some point, but it is only a symbol or a shadow of something far higher and much greater, etc...

But whatever the baptism is, if it leads to true repentance, and then perfect Love, or Love perfected, then your doing really, really well then I would say, or I would think, in my opinion, etc...

God Bless!

18. Neogaia777

+4,352
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    Many of us will need to repent from our great lack of Love, etc, previously, etc...

Anyway,

God Bless!

19. mlepfitjw

mlepfitjw May you be blessed!

+1,074
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Scripture is the only thing that can help the spirit grow.

There are many people out here who believe, have faith that God raised the Lord Jesus Christ from the dead.

The only way that it is passed on is through believer passing on the wisdom that is brought forth. Romans 10:17: So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

God loved us, he sent his son Jesus Christ our Lord. Who made a choice to die for us, so thus we return the same love back to him, and towards others.

Forgiving, mercy, be angry but dont* curse death upon man, love, we are given self-control by the spirit which is not our selves.

God works in and through many lives of believers he is the one who writes on the hearts and minds of others.

Nice post, used many scriptures which is very helpful, aiki.

20. Religiot

+258
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    When I first truly realized that there was a God in heaven I felt afraid, and awe struck; and when I learned that I had to answer to Him for all that I did, in and to, His creation, I felt terrified; but when I learned about what He did for me through His Son, I felt catharsis. Now, I only love Him.

He is no longer a terror to me, but the source of my peace, and any fear towards Him is that of a son towards his father.

My obedience to God, my Father, is motivated by love and fear: when temptation arises in me to presumptuously sin against my Father, the memories of previous chastisements arise in my mind and cause fear against the feelings of my temptations, and thus the temptation is quailed; moreover, and what usually occurs, is that before temptation can arise in me, I see it far off, and the love in me towards my Father and my Lord, causes me to hate anything that comes against them, and thus most temptation is stayed before it ever has a chance to take hold.

Obedience is at the heart, but it is not first, belief is: belief and obedience, these together render the faith through which God, by His grace, has chosen us to save.

Due to God choosing us through His foreknowledge, before the world was, our belief is by intuition, placed there by God, in those of us whom He foreknew: this is predestination, that is how we know His voice when we hear it--not because we first knew Him, but because He first knew us as His children, and this yearning for our Father transcends time.

Those who belong to Him have always been His, that is how we know His voice when we first hear it.

God created time, therefore, He is not bound by time: God exists outside of time.

Concerning your question of method, there isn't one, just trust and obey, for there's no other way to follow the Lord, but to trust and obey.

If we love God, we keep what He says. He who says he loves Him, and does not keep what He says, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

Most are liars, for the gate to God is narrow, and there are few who even find it, and out of those few, there are only a few who enter in.

I hope that answered most of your questions, but if not, please feel free to ask for clarification.

Godspeed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.