What's the best translation for serious Bible study?

What's the best translation for serious Bible study?

• NASB

• ESV

• NRSV

• KJV

• NKJV

• NIV

• TNIV

• CEB

• NLT

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
This is a difficult one for me and I have been going back and forth on it for awhile now. I have three I like to use, the NASB, the ESV, and the NRSV. The NIV is decent but I consider it definitely more of a paraphrase than the other ones. I consider the KJV to be not very good at all (particularly in the NT) for serious study; in fact, it can even be actively misleading since it uses poor texts (in the NT).

Having done some research on the subject, I would have to say that I find the most accurate translation to be the NRSV (the NASB would be a close second). I think it finds the most balance between word-for-word and thought-for-thought out of any of the translations.

sonshine234

Nov 10, 2012
✟2,002.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Several plus Greek and Hebrew too so you get a good sense of what is really going on.
impression.php

Upvote 0

NorrinRadd

Xian, Biblicist, Fideist, Pneumatic, Antinomian
Sep 2, 2007
Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I recommend a huge, hernia-inducing 4-version parallel.

For Christmas, I plan to get myself the Contemporary Comparative Side-by-Side Bible, featuring NKJV, NIV(2011), NLT, and The Message.

That will give a broad spectrum of translation "styles," plus feature translations based on different text bases.

Upvote 0

Second Phoenix

Jul 28, 2013
✟2,668.00
Faith
Christian
Please don't take my post the wrong way. It's not meant for you so much as others reading. I have studied scripture at the graduate level (in very serious, academic institutions).

What aspect of scripture do you want to study? There are many ways to look at scripture, so it all depends on your focus. If you want something that affirms what you already believe, you can do that online for free. We need to be really honest with ourselves about why were are doing it and what we hope to accomplish.

If you want to take a serious and critical look at scripture, there are many available means.

In general, someone seriously looking into understanding scripture will use a modern English translation or two alongside an academically rigorous biblical commentary. Academic biblical commentaries can vary in terms of focus. Some are much more interested in the narrative and making connections with other texts. Some have a critical analysis of the structure of the language. Some look at the history, culture, and so forth.

There are many Christians on CF who have no idea what scripture study is. Reading what you want into the KJV is not scripture study. Using online tools to interpret the ancient languages, without the slightest grasp of proto-European/Semetic languages is useless.

I seriously recommend, for someone into truly studying scripture- that they decide what aspect of scripture peaks their interest and collect commentaries on them. Commentaries rely on the latest research and can be very dense and helpful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

intojoy

Jun 26, 2013
✟2,069.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
intojoy said:
The ASV 1901 is the closest translation to the original manuscripts.

The following list was given by dr Fruchtenbaum a Hebrew and Greek scholar and graduate of NYU and Dallas Theological Seminary. Fruchtenbaum was Ryrie's protege who was discipled by Schafer who was discipled by Schofield. According to Dr Ryrie, Fruchtenbaum surpassed all of the above in his scholarship.

1. ASV 1901
2. NASB
3. NKJV
4. KJV

Don't hate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

intojoy

Jun 26, 2013
✟2,069.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Second Phoenix said:
Please don't take my post the wrong way. It's not meant for you so much as others reading. I have studied scripture at the graduate level (in very serious, academic institutions).

What aspect of scripture do you want to study? There are many ways to look at scripture, so it all depends on your focus. If you want something that affirms what you already believe, you can do that online for free. We need to be really honest with ourselves about why were are doing it and what we hope to accomplish.

If you want to take a serious and critical look at scripture, there are many available means.

In general, someone seriously looking into understanding scripture will use a modern English translation or two alongside an academically rigorous biblical commentary. Academic biblical commentaries can vary in terms of focus. Some are much more interested in the narrative and making connections with other texts. Some have a critical analysis of the structure of the language. Some look at the history, culture, and so forth.

There are many Christians on CF who have no idea what scripture study is. Reading what you want into the KJV is not scripture study. Using online tools to interpret the ancient languages, without the slightest grasp of proto-European/Semetic languages is useless.

I seriously recommend, for someone into truly studying scripture- that they decide what aspect of scripture peaks their interest and collect commentaries on them. Commentaries rely on the latest research and can be very dense and helpful.

Can you define systematic theology and why the bible needs to be studied that way?

Upvote 0

intojoy

Jun 26, 2013
✟2,069.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Second Phoenix said:
btw- you do know, there are no 'original manuscripts'?

The manuscripts nor the translations were inspired, the original autographs were. Of course they don't exist anymore so we have to rely in the manuscript evidence. What I mean by original manuscripts was the most reliable ones available.

Upvote 0

Second Phoenix

Jul 28, 2013
✟2,668.00
Faith
Christian
The manuscripts nor the translations were inspired, the original autographs were.

English is not your first language, is it?

Of course they don't exist anymore so we have to rely in the manuscript evidence. What I mean by original manuscripts was the most reliable ones available.

Which is determined by whom?

Reactions: Tzaousios
Upvote 0

intojoy

Jun 26, 2013
✟2,069.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Second Phoenix said:
His phD being from where?

His doctrinal thesis (NYU) was twelve hundred pages that was published into a book: Isrealology the Missing Link in Systematic Theology.

One of his books Jesus was a Jew, was on Tony Blair's (British PM) too ten most influential books of his lifetime.

Upvote 0