What's the age when a person's interpertation of a language becomes a risk?

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Certain sounds are just sounds (glossolalia) others are languages.

Certain sequences of sounds are language. But the sequences of sounds aren't arbitrary. They have a history.

For example, the English word "daughter" comes from Old English "dōhtor" and Germanic "duhtēr." It's related to the German "Tochter" and the Swedish "dotter."

The Germanic word in turn comes from Proto-Indo-European "dʰugh₂tḗr," and is related to the Greek θυγάτηρ and the Sanskrit "duhitṛ."

That's as far back in time as we can reliably look, but "dʰugh₂tḗr" in turn comes from something older still.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sammy-San
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Certain sequences of sounds are language. But the sequences of sounds aren't arbitrary. They have a history.

For example, the English word "daughter" comes from Old English "dōhtor" and Germanic "duhtēr." It's related to the German "Tochter" and the Swedish "dotter."

The Germanic word in turn comes from Proto-Indo-European "dʰugh₂tḗr," and is related to the Greek θυγάτηρ and the Sanskrit "duhitṛ."

That's as far back in time as we can reliably look, but "duhitṛ" in turn comes from something older still, which may be related to the Hebrew "bat."

So you think Elvish and Klingon sounds aren't arbitrary?

The sequences of italian and english trace back to babel-I don't think the same can be said for Klingon or Navi.

Another cool example-the Japanese word for woman is onna, which sounds like the italian word, donna. Japanese say namay, sanskrit has nama, nepalese has nam, english has name.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So you think Elvish and Klingon sounds aren't arbitrary?

Elvish is certainly very much influenced by real European languages.

Japanese say namay, sanskrit has nama, nepalese has nam, english has name.

English, Sanskrit, and Nepalese are all in the Indo-European family. Japanese may be a more distant relation. See the right side of this chart:

F3.large.jpg

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

English, Sanskrit, and Nepalese are all in the Indo-European family. Japanese may be a more distant relation. See the right side of this chart:

F3.large.jpg

Klingon doesn't seem that way.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

F3.large.jpg

So calling it a sketch of a real language sounds disagreeable?

Dothraki language - Wikipedia
The Dothraki vocabulary was created by David J. Peterson well in advance of the adaptation. HBO hired the Language Creation Society to create the language, and after an application process involving over thirty conlangers, David Peterson was chosen to develop the Dothraki language. He delivered over 1700 words to HBO before the initial shooting. Peterson drew inspiration from George R. R. Martin’s description of the language, as well as from such languages as Turkish, Russian, Estonian, Inuktitut and Swahili.[5]

I don't know if that has any gibberish in it or not.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I believe the Holy Spirit will give someone the gift to speak in a foreign (to them) language to spread the Gospel to someone in a situation.

I don't believe you can learn from ingesting sounds with no context. You won't be able to know whether someone is talking about what furniture they want to buy or if they are discussing quantum mechanics.

So you don't think sounds have any inherent power? When i was younger i read eragon for hours-those sounds just meant something-I didn't see a situation that made figure out what the words mean.

Blind people dont see anything but they know just by ingesting sounds.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So you don't think sounds have any inherent power? When i was younger i read eragon for hours-those sounds just meant something-I didn't see a situation that made figure out what the words mean.

Blind people dont see anything but they know just by ingesting sounds.

I didn't say that. It's proven that the sound of the Hebrew language has power. I don't believe you can become fluent in a language just by hearing the sounds with no other context.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I didn't say that. It's proven that the sound of the Hebrew language has power. I don't believe you can become fluent in a language just by hearing the sounds with no other context.

English too, or youre referring to non English languages, after a certain age?

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am referring to the spoken Hebrew language: has an effect upon the human that no other language has... positive effect...

and that just hearing sounds doesn't cause you to learn that language. I've listened to birds, especially mockingbirds since a toddler yet I don't know what they are saying.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am referring to the spoken Hebrew language: has an effect upon the human that no other language has... positive effect...

and that just hearing sounds doesn't cause you to learn that language. I've listened to birds, especially mockingbirds since a toddler yet I don't know what they are saying.

What about when I read fantasy books? I didnt see those situations.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

How does Tolkein being a linguist prove this isnt Gibberish?

How does it prove it wasn't at least partially gibberish?

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
The sequences of italian and english trace back to babel-I don't think the same can be said for Klingon or Navi.

English didn't exist before the 5th century AD. It's derived from a number of Germanic dialects spoken by tribes living in the far north of (present day) Germany, and Denmark. You would not readily recognise the earliest form of English as English.

Italian is a daughter language of Latin and is roughly the same age as English.

Both languages evolved from Proto Indo European which was once spoken on the steppes north and east of the Black Sea. Neither language traces back to a mythical Babel.

Klingon and Navi are made up languages.
OB

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
English didn't exist before the 5th century AD. It's derived from a number of Germanic dialects spoken by tribes living in the far north of (present day) Germany, and Denmark. You would not readily recognise the earliest form of English as English.

Italian is a daughter language of Latin and is roughly the same age as English.

Both languages evolved from Proto Indo European which was once spoken on the steppes north and east of the Black Sea. Neither language traces back to a mythical Babel.

Klingon and Navi are made up languages.
OB

That doesn't prove those other ones are real languages.

babel was real.

Upvote 0