What's the age when a person's interpertation of a language becomes a risk?

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think those aliens who say they learned English from the TV are exaggerating... you know Number 5 is alive? :)

You would need more reference than just hearing the words. Visual, book work, grammar study... UNLESS the songs you are listening to are songs you already know in your own language... I could sing the Isleta Indian hymns because I already knew the music, and sounded out their words until I knew a song. (Long since forgotten but I have the booklet of hymns).

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think those aliens who say they learned English from the TV are exaggerating... you know Number 5 is alive? :)

You would need more reference than just hearing the words. Visual, book work, grammar study... UNLESS the songs you are listening to are songs you already know in your own language... I could sing the Isleta Indian hymns because I already knew the music, and sounded out their words until I knew a song. (Long since forgotten but I have the booklet of hymns).

The first European travelers didn't have book work and grammar study.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No, they had immersion with others..living in a country of a foreign language and a lot of pointing and drawing went on (visual).

One view on this issue is the Europeans weren't really fluent in native american they knew enough for basic communication.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Could be. They had Native Americans/ First People-Nation in Europe so they could have learned a few words of a tribe. But I assure you, finger pointing at things and help occur when people of different languages need to communicate.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How does that make your brain more sensitive to the meaning of the sounds?

Unless the Holy Spirit gives you the language, well, I don't believe in learning by osmosis.

Sounds. How would you know they are talking about living room furniture or quantum mechanics?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Could be. They had Native Americans/ First People-Nation in Europe so they could have learned a few words of a tribe. But I assure you, finger pointing at things and help occur when people of different languages need to communicate.

There's a good chance this situation goes back to babel-God stunts our language abilities past a certain age as a consequence of separating the people at babel.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe the Holy Spirit will give someone the gift to speak in a foreign (to them) language to spread the Gospel to someone in a situation.

I don't believe you can learn from ingesting sounds with no context. You won't be able to know whether someone is talking about what furniture they want to buy or if they are discussing quantum mechanics.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I believe the Holy Spirit will give someone the gift to speak in a foreign (to them) language to spread the Gospel to someone in a situation.

I don't believe you can learn from ingesting sounds with no context. You won't be able to know whether someone is talking about what furniture they want to buy or if they are discussing quantum mechanics.

what about blind people knowing a language they were born into?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So where did that come from-they had children who spent time with Vietnamese and Arabs who learned it alongside English?

For the people who learned Greek and Latin at school, grammar rules in other languages were probably easier to absorb.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Sounds have a certain power to them, even if you don't understand them and they were invented by people (and not given at Babel).

I used to ask about elvish being a real language and talked about it being made up and not understandable. There's a good chance if I was a parent played this over and over again to my child they would pick some stuff up.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sounds have a certain power to them, even if you don't understand them and they were invented by people

Well, no. The repertoire of sounds is based on the shape of the human mouth and throat.

Upvote 0